The Mustang

exvet
Bringing Life to the DDBB

The Mustang

Postby exvet » Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:01 pm

Well I don't know who remembers but last year about this time a 5 year old Navajo mustang and his herd wandered off the reservation due to lack of grass/food. They were all sold off and at the end of October the stallion came into my possession. He was still a bag of bones with a draining wound and horrible conjunctivitis. I gelded him and put him to work. We've been working on the basics. Our greatest challenge is he is so crooked. We continue to ride in the arena a couple times a week working on building up his strength, working on his coordination and always, always, always improving on his straightness. Well it must be working because today he finally was able to give me a right lead canter under saddle HOORAY! Yesterday was also a day of victories because he loaded on to my brand new trailer all by his lonesome (has always had the pony with him before) and we hauled over to the preserve and went trail riding on our own. He was a champ. He's definitely not got the work ethic for dressage though he begrudgingly humors me. He has, however, turned into the best trail mount ever. Here is a before and after picture (taken when we got home and unloaded yesterday). He's put on a few more pounds LOL and per my daughter is looking far more buff ;)

Chancellor
Site Admin

Re: The Mustang

Postby Chancellor » Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:19 pm

What a difference!!!

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:51 pm

Well done

Flight

Postby Flight » Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:15 pm

Wow cool!

exvet

Postby exvet » Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:22 am

I have to admit since I've had to face facts about retiring the stinker pony, I've been tempted to keep my eyes open for another.....lol.....good thing I'm too busy to spend much time on the Internet.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:27 am

Like potato chips. Lol

khall

Postby khall » Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:02 pm

Another mustang or another stinker pony?

Your mustang looks very much like your ponies! Round with a great neck. How is his movement? There are some nice mustangs out there for sure:)

quinta
Herd Member

Postby quinta » Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:49 pm

He sure is a brick shithouse, isn't he? Although, I am pretty sure that's your type... :lol:

exvet

Postby exvet » Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:35 pm

LOL, y'all have me accurately pegged. As for which one, well, we all know that I would never turn away a welsh that walked into my barn but I was leaning towards another mustang not that I have any true intention of getting another horse [right now]. He actually has very nice movement; but, he is fully committed to conserving his energy as much as possible ;) The efforts that dressage requires just don't compute in his originally feral brain.

exvet

Postby exvet » Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:09 am

Another weekend of absolutely gorgeous weather and you know what that means. We continue to work on straightness and knowing where are feet are. It seems to still be working because today my Native Indian Pony was able to pick up the right lead pretty seamlessly TWICE and hold it for several strides. His left lead canter is starting to really be something nice to ride too. He's funny because he acts so grumpy when we start and then after we've worked a while he starts to figure out that he's finding it easier to move and do things. Here he is "sportin" his dressage attire, brands and all....and muchin' on his carrot. No I don't believe in bribes, never.....LOL

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:16 pm

What a hunk! Glad to read the great update.

exvet

Postby exvet » Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:46 pm

Well the mornings are cooler now and the mustang has improved his strength and carrying power. Yesterday morning he thought he was going to 'take off' and not stop. LOL, you have to realize that there is little that makes this horse go truly fast. Well when he 'took off' I put some light resistance on the rein and he stuck his nose way up in the air; so, I did the next best thing a seat of the pants rider does when they know they have a horse that still isn't strong enough to truly jump anything over 18 inches - I ran him straight towards the fence with a balanced seat and even light contact on the reins all the while using my seat to slow/stop him one-two strides before the fence.......He was so shocked. So we then went to work. He's really got a pretty nice gait once he learns how to use himself......even I thought he would get 7s on his gaits, including canter.....well.....for a few strides anyway. He was actually pretty fancy until he realized just how much work the cool weather and his fleeting thoughts of over exuberance created.

orono
Herd Member

Postby orono » Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:42 pm

He's a real cutie pie, glad things are going so well with him.

exvet

Postby exvet » Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:29 am

I have never regretted spending one penny on this guy. He accompanied the colt (Junior - 3 year old, coming 4 welsh cob) on his very first trail ride. The mustang was so solid and perfect. The colt/Junior definitely picked up on the mustang's cool, calm demeanor. It was an awesome day with beautiful scenery on the 4 mile trail ride. Tomorrow we'll head out again for more adventures - Yippee

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Sun Jan 28, 2018 4:33 am

Love a solid trail rider.

exvet

Postby exvet » Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:58 pm

Me too! I was commenting the other day to my SO while we were out riding that I've been so blessed to have solid citizens. No jigging, no nervous nellies. That's not to say there isn't the occasional spook when a mule deer bounces out of the underbrush or a biker comes stalking up behind but usually the mustang alerts us to the majority of that so there are few surprises. Having such good and mannerly trail horses just makes it possible to enjoy the beautiful scenery and great weather we're having (though I'm writing this as I'm waiting to attend a hearing in D.C. so I ain't enjoying the weather today lol).

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:55 pm

What a great update. It is awesome to have a smart and sensible buddy to show the young ones "the way."

Koolkat
500 post plus club

Postby Koolkat » Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:03 am

So nice to read these posts and see these pictures, it reminds me of Kathy Johnson's wonderful stories.

Keep 'em coming!

exvet

Postby exvet » Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:07 am

Here are some shots from last weekends trail rides. He is such a good boy. He prefers to ride drag LOL but does well out on his own and in the lead (if he must). I'm riding Junior and a family member is riding the mustang.

Last edited by exvet on Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:20 am, edited 2 times in total.

demi

Postby demi » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:29 am

I can’t see the pictures! Wahhhh

exvet

Postby exvet » Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:30 am

Not sure what happened. I will try to fix it asap.

khall

Postby khall » Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:07 pm

Good boys!! Exvet great job on both of your guys:)

exvet

Postby exvet » Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:53 am

Thank you khall. I love them both and consider myself lucky to be owned by them!

exvet

Postby exvet » Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:52 pm

We're getting into a routine and trail riding is a must when the day is so pretty.

Return to “Young Horse Forum and Breeding and Registries”