500 post plus club

Re: Annwylid Dare to Dream

Postby heddylamar » Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:36 am

Happy birthday Junior!!

exvet
Herd Member

Postby exvet » Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:12 am

Well our first level debut wasn't all that inspiring. Junior did well schooling yesterday, almost too well. There were several things we'd been working on and assumed I just wouldn't have it for the show that he seemed to miraculously pull out of his hat and had several light bulb moments where things were coming together......but then there was today. He behaved like a champ except when it came to riding the tests. He didn't exactly misbehave but let's just say I thought I was on a toddler who with every request to supple/relax he was daring me to 'make him do it'....Now that isn't to say that we didn't do 'it.' I mean we scored a 64 and change at first level test 2 and made a a showing at first level test 1 later in the day for a 61; but, instead of becoming more supple and cooperative he just remained, well, stiff/braced without being upside down or behind the bit or inverted......or above the bit....just braced. We did get some very nice comments and the judges most definitely scored the tests I rode. It wasn't totally dismal for our first outing at first level without any schooling shows or chances to really prepare. He wasn't spooky....................He didn't flip out like some of the horses did today......he just didn't want to be there doing the test - eating hay at the trailer was a-okay, walking around sightseeing the show grounds was a-okay, being ridden wasn't too much trouble in fact he was extremely well behaved..........Suffice it to day it gives us confirmation of where I thought we were at and where we have to go. We'll see if we make our way there by fall.

exvet
Herd Member

Postby exvet » Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:58 pm

Here is a video. I know there isn't much to say - no lengthening, no difference shown, rushing and not particularly signing up to accepting the bit in the canter departs......he was just stiff and reticent though obedient with the exception of the first canter depart where we almost left the arena (though far less dramatic than I've had in the past with some predecessors lol). Not where we want to be but it's a start.

https://youtu.be/6xBUhkjcutw

chantal
Herd Member

Postby chantal » Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:29 am

I would love to be where you are. No nasty surprises and you know what your homework is. Good or him for being obedient and not freaking out. He is still young. I think we put a lot of pressure on ourselves by watching the 3,4, and 5 yo young horse tests and champions. Or maybe you don't and that's just me.

It's good to have high standards, he'll rise to them. Well done!

exvet
Herd Member

Postby exvet » Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:45 am

Thank you Chantal. I agree in the high expectations vs. realistic endeavors. I learned a long time ago with this breed that high scores at the lower levels (meaning training and riding to those scores) unfortunately doesn't usually give you the beast ready to make it happen at the higher levels. My training and riding is for 'those' levels. I just need to check in with the 'officials' time and again to make sure I know what I have. Junior is still very young and I have to remind myself of that often because he is so easy - we load and go, he gets off the trailer and just follows my lead. He really came out to be everything I need at my age. We will continue to dare to dream.......

heddylamar
500 post plus club

Postby heddylamar » Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:54 am

I have to say that would go down as a successful outing with a youngster in my book. No, it wasn't spectacular, but it was a positive experience you can build on. You have much to be proud of, and Junior earns kudos for behaving when his (presumed) elders were misbehaving. (What was so spooky?)

Once again I am impressed with Junior -- he's a good sort :D

exvet
Herd Member

Postby exvet » Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:48 am

Thank you heddylamar - the spooky things were mostly the flags flapping in the wind, the big gulp cups (trash) blowing by and the various tents that were being noisy due to the wind that was kicking up at the time. Nothing extraordinary to be sure but the typical things that will scare horses that are away from home. I'm afraid my horses have all been exposed to kids and normal life, not really being shielded by much.

khall
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby khall » Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:54 pm

exvet you should be very pleased with your young boy! He came he was for the most part obedient (I've ridden that left canter move before:) did his job and kept his cool. Good for him! Room for improvement? Of course but isn't there always? 64 for first level test first time is nothing to sneeze at.

If I was closer to you I would help you with your teeth floating no problem.

I am putting some time with Joplin working in hand with the bit bridle before I move on with her. She is fussy with the bit when you activate it (carries it quietly when working off the caveson) so I am taking the time now to educate her in the bridle. There are a few things I do that I think are very good for the horse's education. Teaching stelling, that slight lateral bending checking the fluidity of it. Teaching the release in ward and down ward to the inside rein and teaching the release of the TMJ. I wished I had spent more time with Rip early on doing this and I might not have had as much issues US as I did. He pulled the same move Junior does on the left rein. Not in the transition but in a certain area in the arena. He does not do that anymore thank goodness, but did for quite awhile.

You've done an awesome job of preparing your young one for having a productive life with you. Pat yourself on the back for your training, before you know it you and he will be at FEI.

exvet
Herd Member

Postby exvet » Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:30 pm

Thank you khall. I wish we lived closer too. I think we could share a lot of resources to help each other out on many fronts. I agree that in hand work will be the key to preventing some issues I've had with others as well. I also have a skid steer now which will help me finish my arena. The footing has not been the best (too deep in too many spots) that it has really limited my opportunities to work in hand and ride in it. I'm grateful that my neighbor allows me to use his huge reining arena but he doesn't have lights and with work and the coming summer months, riding at night is really where I've had the advantage in the past. To this point there was never any pressure to get it all done because I wasn't going to drill stuff for training or first level. As we progress, though, I will need to up the ante on my end. We'll keep chipping away at everything.

I'm sure taking the time with Joplin to focus on more in hand work now will pay off in the long run for you too. Looking forward to seeing more pictures as you two progress.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:12 pm

Exvet, really great job! Getting a youngster to be obedient, fairly steady and calm with showing is huge. He is learning so much now and it will be exciting to see where you are in a few years.

musical comedy

Postby musical comedy » Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:21 pm

I'd be very happy with that ride. He's cute.

Sue B
500 post plus club

Postby Sue B » Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:28 pm

Really good job with Junior exvet. He looked confident and ready to be out there doing first level--great start to the show season.

I no longer float my own horses' teeth, my shoulders won't do it anymore. I have dh trailer them to a clinic down the road so that I don't have to be worried "mom" while they are tranq'd. I've become such a weany in my "old age."

exvet
Herd Member

Postby exvet » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:22 pm

Thank you for the kind words everyone. I really appreciate them.

Sue B I should probably have a colleague I work with come out here and do it but I just look at my 2K amount of equipment which is all in great working order and haven't completely given up on that ghost. In fact I just sucked it up and did Junior's teeth this morning after I rode. I tranq'd him and stood there in the barn aisle with all my stuff. Fortunately I have a head lamp & rafters so that I can throw rope up over the beam. Junior was a good egg and enjoyed his drugs. I have a lesson tomorrow so we'll see if it makes any difference. I didn't have it in me to do the others. I'm hoping when my son comes for Easter I can convince him that it would be a nice thing to do for his Mom - and help with the rest, especially if I pay him for his time. Having some assistance does make it go faster even if it still takes a toll on one's shoulders and for me because I have ponies, my quads - all that stinking squatting.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:07 pm

Nice ride! It was very straight and smooth....! Very well done, I thought?

Return to “Young Horse Forum”