Class of 2016, am I the only one?

StraightForward
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Class of 2016, am I the only one?

Postby StraightForward » Fri Aug 23, 2019 1:34 pm

I might be the only one around with a three year old?? Even if I'm talking to myself, these threads make a nice record to go back to over time, but hopefully some others will join in the young horse fun.

So this is Tesla, 2016 mare by Don Deluxe (DeNiro) out of a Weltmeyer mare, currently 16.2. I've had her for a year now, and am starting to get more serious about her training. She is lunging pretty well now, and last night was the first night ground-driving off of the bit instead of the lunging caveson. She is fairly quiet and sensible, but has just a bit of attitude. Working on getting her in a bit of a more obedient, forward-thinking mindset before I climb on. Hoping to put about 20 rides on her this fall, and then focus on groundwork and give her some more time to mature until next spring.
Attachments
Tess 82219.jpg
Tess 82219.jpg (39.65 KiB) Viewed 391 times
The UDBB member known as AQHA Hunter

Sue B
500 post plus club

Re: Class of 2016, am I the only one?

Postby Sue B » Fri Aug 23, 2019 5:05 pm

My, she's looking so grown up already!

Are you going to do those first rides or are you sending her to a "starter"?

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Fri Aug 23, 2019 5:49 pm

I'm planning to DIY; I guess I'm a glutton for punishment. Also poor after paying vet bills...

khall

Postby khall » Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:23 pm

Pretty girl! She's going to be a big one!!

Good luck with getting her started, having a good ground person makes all the difference in the world.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:23 pm

khall wrote:Pretty girl! She's going to be a big one!!

Good luck with getting her started, having a good ground person makes all the difference in the world.

Yeah, planned to have the BO help as a ground person, then she got hurt a few weeks ago and doesn't have much use of her right arm. Hopefully she'll be up to it in aonth or so.

Kelo
Herd Member

Postby Kelo » Thu Aug 29, 2019 2:37 pm

No! I have one as well :)

Mine is Hope, she's a ranch-raised Quarter Horse with cutting horse bloodlines (Peppy San and Doc Tari). She is *cough* somewhere around 13.2, I need to remeasure her, but suffice to say she's real easy to get saddled and get on :lol: She's a good-hearted, willing thing, but also has the quickness and the grit. She's also uncomfortably smart and learns whatever I teach her the first time, which is both wonderful and terrifying considering I'm an amateur.

I got her last year for a few hundred bucks, she was completely untouched by humans, so I literally started from 0. We had to learn to be touched, haltered, stand tied, have her body handled, groomed, feet worked on, started under saddle, the whole shebang. I've done everything, save a couple months when a colt-starting friend of mine put some miles on her for me.

I am riding her now, but not pushing her at all. Trust me when I say if I didn't give her something to do, she'd find something, and I much prefer my ideas to hers. 8-) We work very brief and easy sessions, she spends more time standing tied while I work my other horse and do chores than anything (she's gotta learn patience!).

We are doing walk/trot/canter/back, basic lateral work, starting the turnaround. Just working on being soft and forward. She's been introduced to the flag and seen cattle, been on a few trail rides, and been to two shows -- a western dressage intro test and a stock horse class. There were no socks knocked off, but I'm very pleased with her so far.

Who knows, maybe she wants to be a cutting or reined cow horse slash dressage horse when she grows up....but she'll definitely be eligible for pony dressage classes :lol:
Attachments
IMG_1879.jpg
IMG_1879.jpg (68.12 KiB) Viewed 324 times
IMG_8625.jpg
IMG_8625.jpg (39.04 KiB) Viewed 324 times

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Thu Aug 29, 2019 4:36 pm

Wow, you are making great progress with her! She sounds like lots of fun and looks like a nice mover from that last pic.

Kelo
Herd Member

Postby Kelo » Thu Aug 29, 2019 7:47 pm

Thanks - she's doing well! I think it's the Doc Tari "show me once and I've got it" thing. We keep it quiet and easy, and she's just picking stuff up. She's getting the hang of staying loose and giving her back a little at the walk and trot, but we're still working on the lope.

She is a pretty nice little horse, considering what she is. She's built uphill, has a good neck set. She's not an ideal traditional dressage mover, but she's pretty decent for what I need. I could see her holding her own at the level of dressage I do (mostly local/regional), and doing VERY well in western dressage.

On the other hand, she's eating me out of house and home right now and growing. :shock: Who knows, she might sprout all the way up to 14.0 hh if I get lucky :lol: :lol: Is your filly eating a lot or is it just mine???

Your filly is just lovely - are you getting excited about starting her? I had been about 15 years since I started a colt, between my last one and this one, and let me tell you I got a lot older in that time. I started her, but I was kinda glad to send her to someone else for a little while. She's a super good girl, but she has the reactions of a cutting horse -- so when she goes, she GOES.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:58 pm

Yeah, she eats a lot, but well, she's on her way to 17+ hands, so I expect it. She outgrew her XL bell boots so I have a pair of 2XLs on the way. No under-sized feet here!

Planning to get on her myself once I can line up a ground person I trust. The last one I started did not go well, but I'm up for one more try. It's farther to the ground off the big ones, but at least they're pretty slow most of the time.

Sue B
500 post plus club

Postby Sue B » Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:04 pm

Peppy San is most likely going to leave her around 14 hands, 14.2 at the most, but dang, those sre some really great working horse bloodlines, Kelo. You are definitely going to have a blast with that little mare, no doubt about it!

SF, I wish I lived closer so I could help you. I love starting babies. :P

Kyra's Mom
500 post plus club

Postby Kyra's Mom » Sat Aug 31, 2019 5:14 am

I would love to help SF but I think I am too decrepit (about the same age as her barn owner...damn, things just don't work right anymore). I just am not very agile.

At least Tesla has already been sat on. I don't think it will be a big deal but for sure, need someone around...I can punch 911 on my phone ;) .

Very nice little mare Kelo.

Susan
from susamorg on the UDBB

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Sat Aug 31, 2019 5:27 am

Kyra's Mom wrote:I would love to help SF but I think I am too decrepit (about the same age as her barn owner...damn, things just don't work right anymore). I just am not very agile.

At least Tesla has already been sat on. I don't think it will be a big deal but for sure, need someone around...I can punch 911 on my phone ;) .

Very nice little mare Kelo.

Susan

We'll see. I hung my whole weight on her a few days ago and she didn't appreciate it too much, but she doesn't tend to react too badly. Mostly, I think she might get her feet glued to the ground. That's what happened with Maya, so I needed a ground person to get the feet unstuck. I've got a nice new crash vest that will be getting plenty of use this fall between the breaking project and the rehab project. :lol:

Kelo
Herd Member

Postby Kelo » Tue Sep 03, 2019 1:06 pm

Sue B wrote:Peppy San is most likely going to leave her around 14 hands, 14.2 at the most, but dang, those sre some really great working horse bloodlines, Kelo. You are definitely going to have a blast with that little mare, no doubt about it!

Thanks, SueB! I suspect she maybe was a bit short on groceries in her early years, so think we'll be lucky to get to 14. But, hey, based on her temperament she could have a future career as a kid's horse, or a little old lady's horse -- so it's all good. She takes up plenty of leg and is super easy to saddle!

This weekend we went on a trail ride! It was her 3d-ever ride, just a couple hours quiet walk, my boyfriend and older horse guided us, and she was a very good girl. No silliness, crossed the water without objection, navigated the little slopes. :D
Attachments
trail-ride.jpg
trail-ride.jpg (34.68 KiB) Viewed 226 times

Return to “Young Horse Forum”