Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: Annwylid Dare to Dream

Postby heddylamar » Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:36 am

Happy birthday Junior!!

exvet

Postby exvet » Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:12 am

Well our first level debut wasn't all that inspiring. Junior did well schooling yesterday, almost too well. There were several things we'd been working on and assumed I just wouldn't have it for the show that he seemed to miraculously pull out of his hat and had several light bulb moments where things were coming together......but then there was today. He behaved like a champ except when it came to riding the tests. He didn't exactly misbehave but let's just say I thought I was on a toddler who with every request to supple/relax he was daring me to 'make him do it'....Now that isn't to say that we didn't do 'it.' I mean we scored a 64 and change at first level test 2 and made a a showing at first level test 1 later in the day for a 61; but, instead of becoming more supple and cooperative he just remained, well, stiff/braced without being upside down or behind the bit or inverted......or above the bit....just braced. We did get some very nice comments and the judges most definitely scored the tests I rode. It wasn't totally dismal for our first outing at first level without any schooling shows or chances to really prepare. He wasn't spooky....................He didn't flip out like some of the horses did today......he just didn't want to be there doing the test - eating hay at the trailer was a-okay, walking around sightseeing the show grounds was a-okay, being ridden wasn't too much trouble in fact he was extremely well behaved..........Suffice it to day it gives us confirmation of where I thought we were at and where we have to go. We'll see if we make our way there by fall.

exvet

Postby exvet » Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:58 pm

Here is a video. I know there isn't much to say - no lengthening, no difference shown, rushing and not particularly signing up to accepting the bit in the canter departs......he was just stiff and reticent though obedient with the exception of the first canter depart where we almost left the arena (though far less dramatic than I've had in the past with some predecessors lol). Not where we want to be but it's a start.

https://youtu.be/6xBUhkjcutw

chantal
500 post plus club

Postby chantal » Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:29 am

I would love to be where you are. No nasty surprises and you know what your homework is. Good or him for being obedient and not freaking out. He is still young. I think we put a lot of pressure on ourselves by watching the 3,4, and 5 yo young horse tests and champions. Or maybe you don't and that's just me.

It's good to have high standards, he'll rise to them. Well done!

exvet

Postby exvet » Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:45 am

Thank you Chantal. I agree in the high expectations vs. realistic endeavors. I learned a long time ago with this breed that high scores at the lower levels (meaning training and riding to those scores) unfortunately doesn't usually give you the beast ready to make it happen at the higher levels. My training and riding is for 'those' levels. I just need to check in with the 'officials' time and again to make sure I know what I have. Junior is still very young and I have to remind myself of that often because he is so easy - we load and go, he gets off the trailer and just follows my lead. He really came out to be everything I need at my age. We will continue to dare to dream.......

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:54 am

I have to say that would go down as a successful outing with a youngster in my book. No, it wasn't spectacular, but it was a positive experience you can build on. You have much to be proud of, and Junior earns kudos for behaving when his (presumed) elders were misbehaving. (What was so spooky?)

Once again I am impressed with Junior -- he's a good sort :D

exvet

Postby exvet » Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:48 am

Thank you heddylamar - the spooky things were mostly the flags flapping in the wind, the big gulp cups (trash) blowing by and the various tents that were being noisy due to the wind that was kicking up at the time. Nothing extraordinary to be sure but the typical things that will scare horses that are away from home. I'm afraid my horses have all been exposed to kids and normal life, not really being shielded by much.

khall

Postby khall » Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:54 pm

exvet you should be very pleased with your young boy! He came he was for the most part obedient (I've ridden that left canter move before:) did his job and kept his cool. Good for him! Room for improvement? Of course but isn't there always? 64 for first level test first time is nothing to sneeze at.

If I was closer to you I would help you with your teeth floating no problem.

I am putting some time with Joplin working in hand with the bit bridle before I move on with her. She is fussy with the bit when you activate it (carries it quietly when working off the caveson) so I am taking the time now to educate her in the bridle. There are a few things I do that I think are very good for the horse's education. Teaching stelling, that slight lateral bending checking the fluidity of it. Teaching the release in ward and down ward to the inside rein and teaching the release of the TMJ. I wished I had spent more time with Rip early on doing this and I might not have had as much issues US as I did. He pulled the same move Junior does on the left rein. Not in the transition but in a certain area in the arena. He does not do that anymore thank goodness, but did for quite awhile.

You've done an awesome job of preparing your young one for having a productive life with you. Pat yourself on the back for your training, before you know it you and he will be at FEI.

exvet

Postby exvet » Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:30 pm

Thank you khall. I wish we lived closer too. I think we could share a lot of resources to help each other out on many fronts. I agree that in hand work will be the key to preventing some issues I've had with others as well. I also have a skid steer now which will help me finish my arena. The footing has not been the best (too deep in too many spots) that it has really limited my opportunities to work in hand and ride in it. I'm grateful that my neighbor allows me to use his huge reining arena but he doesn't have lights and with work and the coming summer months, riding at night is really where I've had the advantage in the past. To this point there was never any pressure to get it all done because I wasn't going to drill stuff for training or first level. As we progress, though, I will need to up the ante on my end. We'll keep chipping away at everything.

I'm sure taking the time with Joplin to focus on more in hand work now will pay off in the long run for you too. Looking forward to seeing more pictures as you two progress.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:12 pm

Exvet, really great job! Getting a youngster to be obedient, fairly steady and calm with showing is huge. He is learning so much now and it will be exciting to see where you are in a few years.

musical comedy

Postby musical comedy » Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:21 pm

I'd be very happy with that ride. He's cute.

Sue B

Postby Sue B » Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:28 pm

Really good job with Junior exvet. He looked confident and ready to be out there doing first level--great start to the show season.

I no longer float my own horses' teeth, my shoulders won't do it anymore. I have dh trailer them to a clinic down the road so that I don't have to be worried "mom" while they are tranq'd. I've become such a weany in my "old age."

exvet

Postby exvet » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:22 pm

Thank you for the kind words everyone. I really appreciate them.

Sue B I should probably have a colleague I work with come out here and do it but I just look at my 2K amount of equipment which is all in great working order and haven't completely given up on that ghost. In fact I just sucked it up and did Junior's teeth this morning after I rode. I tranq'd him and stood there in the barn aisle with all my stuff. Fortunately I have a head lamp & rafters so that I can throw rope up over the beam. Junior was a good egg and enjoyed his drugs. I have a lesson tomorrow so we'll see if it makes any difference. I didn't have it in me to do the others. I'm hoping when my son comes for Easter I can convince him that it would be a nice thing to do for his Mom - and help with the rest, especially if I pay him for his time. Having some assistance does make it go faster even if it still takes a toll on one's shoulders and for me because I have ponies, my quads - all that stinking squatting.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:07 pm

Nice ride! It was very straight and smooth....! Very well done, I thought?

exvet

Postby exvet » Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:47 pm

Well we went. We showed and we survived.....LOL. So let me preface this by saying that I had my lesson (an awesome one) on Wednesday and then did not get to ride until this morning at the show. I pulled 3-12 hour emergency shifts in a row and simply did not have enough left over once I got home each (late) evening to make a productive ride. I figured I would just use the 'schooling' part of the show for what it's supposed to be and wing it.

What went well....
1. Junior is the bomb of coolness when it comes to loading and going places. We got to the show grounds and he was totally unimpressed and immediately stuck his head in the hay bag after unloading and pretty much remained in that position until I took him to warm up.

2. During our warm-up, horses got loose from their owners two times, running, whinnying in a panic and Junior didn't care. In fact the second one, Junior and I caught from horse back. Junior is such a cool dude and this horse was well over 17 hands LOL. I felt I was back on the race track but this time I was on the lead pony LOL.

3. Considering that this was only our second time to ride First 3 and Second 1 (ever) I was satisfied with scores of 62.6 and 64.4 respectively. The judging was relatively fair. I received a couple of 4's and a few 8's.

What still needs work....
1. I warmed up Junior and he did reasonably well. We didn't focus on movements but instead responses to the aids and trying to make them crisp. I realized that he might get tense or addled but my goal is to do well at the recognized show in November. I haven't had a chance to body clip him yet and his winter coat is already coming in a little too well so despite the lovely weather he was already hot after the warm up which may have been 20 minutes of work. So when I went in for First level test 3 he decided to go into mini pig mode. He pretty much blew me off a few times. He was totally unimpressed with the reason why we were there. Having such a cool cucumber is great in many circumstances but any call for a little bit more pizazz or oomph during the test was met with the middle hoof. Still some thought it was a reasonably nice test. Knowing the judge like I do (USEF S dressage judge) I was betting on a 57 or 58 and was a little surprised at the higher score. I chose not to sit the test because I wanted enough pony for the second test which I was riding only 20 minutes after the first one. Clearly I need to continue to work on making the response to the aids very crisp and when the call for more power is given there will be no acceptance of anything but 'yes m'am!' Building more strength and stamina should help with this.

2. Knowing and already deciding on the lesson learned from the first test, I did a very brief warm up for the second test which focused on using very clear aids demanding quick responses so a little ugly but I got the point across. The trade off was a not so happy pony who was not so much tense as he was simply pissed. It showed in the second test to a degree. You'll see in the clip his fussiness in the bridle. I know the clip may (likely will) draw criticism of those who will insist that his open mouth et al is evidence of too much hand, backwards hands, not riding back to front yada yada yada. Junior and I are at a point where I feel if I back off on the hand when I'm driving his energy forward, I'll just get more running and no less of a 'tense' pony because he will/would have lost his balance. While the scene wasn't pretty, I do believe it will get much prettier with more relaxation as we continue to build strength and a clear understanding of expectations. It will also help, I'm sure when I pull his wolf teeth and float his remaining teeth which are overdue.

3. This old lady needs to sit up more and lift my sternum, stretching up through the front. I guess the last three days before today just wore me out because I was going to try very hard to do this during my two tests. Oh well, continuous improvement is the premise of dressage, right?

While the judge, as mentioned earlier, did give me a few 8s throughout the two tests and our canter work was mostly 7s except for the transitions up (Junior was definitely resisting and wanting me to 'cave' and let go of the hand) I was nailed on my medium trots for not showing enough lengthening and my gait scores were a 6. I was given 7s for my rider scores.

And wait for it........

The judge's comments, "Be careful to teach halts as well. Nice job on a horse with limitations."

Here is the video of my second level ride. I know I'm opening myself up here but I have a clear vision and a plan to resolve the ugly and improve the harmony AND develop a horse ready for higher levels. Arrogant? Sure; but, I feel I have no more time to waste. While I am open to suggestions as well as criticism, let's just say even I recognize I'm getting more stubborn in my old age and there is a lot to be said about feel and it's importance having as much weight as appearance when we're talking about the journey and progression in training.

https://youtu.be/Hj9BagNEejI

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:24 pm

nice job! way to get out there and do it! He looked quite energetic and I liked your accurate riding. Lots to be happy about!

exvet

Postby exvet » Mon Sep 30, 2019 1:40 am

Thank you Ryeissa. He definitely had more 'fire under the tail' after our brief warm up; so, I hope with a few more rides 'for clarity' he'll know without a doubt that my leg placed on for forward isn't for debate or negotiation. Overall I am happy considering both his sire and Monty (one of my other previous welsh cobs) earned very similar scores their first time out at this level.

Tanga
500 post plus club

Postby Tanga » Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:17 am

I'm going to answer here because the other thread is confusing for me. I haven't looked at all of the past stuff.

Good job. He actually has a quite nice canter. I have decided, whether I like it or not, there are so many movements that require a natural movement that no matter what you train, the horse naturally can do it or not. You may never have the best extended trot, but you have a nice lengthen canter and quality of canter, and could be very nice. He really brings his hind legs well under and separated (my go to thing for quality movement) and shows good articulation in front and back.

I have also decided no matter what horse, level, or rider, there is no such thing as too much impulsion! Just keep asking for a 10 impulsion, and then they will have the energy and carriage to have better scores. That's my winter goal, anyway.

mari
Herd Member

Postby mari » Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:08 am

I agree with Tanga, that is a nice canter. And you rode a really accurate test. He certainly seems like a little powerhouse!

I don't like the "horse with limitations" comment, he's completely lovely. His gait scores will get better as you train more, and the moments of resistance and transitions will get better for sure. His trot is better than my Appy cross's, and on a good day we can score pretty consistent 6s and the odd 7s at trot. You will just need to ride more strategically to make it shine a bit more (i.e. perfection of transitions into and out of trot, and an exaggerated show of collected vs medium).
The aim of argument or of discussion should not be victory, but progress. ~ Joseph Joubert

Aleuronx
Herd Member

Postby Aleuronx » Mon Sep 30, 2019 12:34 pm

Just came over to watch the test, which congrats on some really positive things. Like with lots of judging the harsh can come with a bit of true. It's probably woefully unfair to call him a "horse with limitations" as he doesn't appear to be struggling with the work in this test.

That said she is spot on with the halts. Your best halt was before the reinback and if you had allowed him to settle the 3 required seconds of immobility I bet that would have been an 8+ score easily. The other 2 halts were not nearly as good/square and you could focus on allowing him settle and fully halt before saluting. These are the movements where every horse can make up points executing well.

Otherwise it was a well ridden test that I'm sure you know where the work in progress is, canter upward transitions and flow between movements in/out of shoulder-in etc. I actually think his best trot was the final line after the canter work ignoring the sass in the medium it was actually the better one. He might benefit with cantering around the arena before your test and going in from that instead. Worth a ponder as you know him best.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Mon Sep 30, 2019 1:12 pm

Thank you for sharing exvet! It's impressive to see how far Junior has come in a short time and gives me hope for Annabelle after losing what was supposed to be our first level year. Going into your more hospitable season, I'm sure he'll progress leaps and bounds over the winter.
Keep calm and canter on.

exvet

Postby exvet » Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:36 pm

Thanks everyone - I don't disagree with the scores or the comments per movement at all. Junior's halts have been a constant work in progress. There are times we get awesome ones and times when he moves or ducks or shifts. He scored an 8 on the final approach and halt so by the end of both tests he was finally signing up to the program. I know we'll get there. It's always been the easiest move for me to fix.

Because of the focus to have him be electric to my leg I felt I was going to get a worse response if I allowed and expected him to settle in the reinback. I agree that having done so, IF he had complied would have resulted in a better score. As it was I received a 6. He just gave me that feel that he was going to start to shift and duck behind the bridle so I went to taking steps straight back which I felt would be better than what I thought would happen had I not.

I also am very aware of the areas that require more work and plan to do just that - transitions, transitions, transitions (within and between gaits) with immediate response to the aids should really help and is what we're going to be focused on over the next year. Junior was blessed with a nice canter from birth. Though it has yet to really show clearly under saddle his walk at liberty is also very nice though he'll never have that model cat-like walk like my mustang has. I happen to love second level. I am hopeful that as we continue to develop and work more on the lateral movements I will be able to get him to free up his back more and score a bit better on the walk movements as well which would have also helped this test.

Having ridden under this judge before and knowing what my first test felt like and then seeing the score, I was actually thinking she was being generous, a trait she has never been known for in all honesty. So I was all smiles until I got to the comment which is also classic for this particular judge (and what I ride). My coach, also a judge, had exactly the same reaction I did and luckily she saw my tests or at least most of them. We were both happy with the last medium trot for where Junior is in his training so I do know how to take the judge's comments and move forward ;) I have always, always, always insisted that you have to ride what you love and love what you ride and Junior is no exception. I believe I have a realistic view of his abilities and talents. I know like with every other combination if we don't hit my goals, the onus will be on me and that I'm the greatest factor that will hold him back. Still when I viewed the video of his last bit of canter to trot medium, down center line and halt.........well while riding I got that feeling of riding my former mount Desert Moon Champignon aka Monty. His 'signature move' was the trot mediums and as he progressed and mastered second level (we won state championships, did well at regionals and all breeds as well as a few high points and many dover medals) he started building his own fan club. I think Junior will follow suit. The raising of the shoulders and lifting up through the thoracic girdle though for just brief moments was all I needed to know that we're heading in the right direction ;)

Again I appreciate the input. While I feel the comment could have been worded differently and still achieved the purpose of delivering the message as to where I need to focus in order to improve, I'm a horrible, self-ordained welsh cob fanatic and will insist until I die that the limitations (barring catastrophic injury or disease) are only in the judge's mind LOL.......... 8-) :lol:

Dresseur
500 post plus club

Postby Dresseur » Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:41 pm

Exvet, I think you're doing a good job with him. He does actually have a nice reach and articulation in the trot, it just gets quick. He needs to learn to lock out the shoulder in the lengthening. But realistically, you can do just fine with a 6 lengthening or medium or extension. The canter is a good canter, and hey, all the major moves are in the canter at FEI, so, I'd be happy with having a canter like that :) He does want to get a bit slow behind, as in the cc- but I see the catch 22. With the shorter, thicker pony neck, extra power and quickness is easy to land in your hands. I do like him when the shape is just a touch lower, as in the canter circle at C. He just relaxes a bit and allows the shoulders to come up. I'd be suggesting a ton of transitions too, as well as in hand work to sharpen all those responses up, but sounds like you have a good plan, and I'm sure we'll see your steady progress up the levels with him.

exvet

Postby exvet » Tue Oct 01, 2019 1:50 pm

Thank you Dresseur. I'm headed to another lesson this morning and I suspect we're going to be working on all that you suggest. I already know that I can get him quicker in the hind at the canter. For now I want him to really establish his balance and carrying power (keeping him straight). I think in another month I'll be able to work on exercises to quicken those hind legs and have a better chance of avoiding tension. I have found with this guy in particular that if I don't worry so much about the front end other than to keep his energy cycling through (even with the uglies like the resistant moments) and work on strength, straightness and balance FIRST, I get far less tension when I start to ask/add in the rest and the back relaxes and down comes the head (up comes the withers). This time around I'm not looking for flash or those qualities that increase the chances of higher scores at the lower levels. Since I am no longer campaigning and know the abilities of the beast beneath me my focus is on bringing up a FEI pony. So far I think the recipe is working but we'll know in good time.

exvet

Postby exvet » Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:57 pm

We showed today at a recognized show doing first level test 3 and second level test 1. Junior was the bomb in a good way ;) He is always such a cool cucumber coming right off the trailer or out of the stall totally NOT getting sucked into other horses' drama. He does, however, want to play with every horse he sees or meets. He just doesn't know any enemies LOL. We did first level test 3 as our first ride and despite having a mistake during the canter change through the trot over "X" we scored 67.5 and won second overall for open (and pretty close to that out of the total class of 17). We even scored a 9! for our initial halt; so, can you tell what we have been working on LOL? Despite the mistake I was happy with the test and honestly I think Junior was trying to be obedient when we made our mistake. A friend video taped the ride so once I get it I'll load it here.

By the time we rode our second test, Junior was a pretty tired little guy and it was 88 degrees. The footing was way too deep and he had a time of it. We ended up making two mistakes; but, still managed a 64 and change for a score. If we had been riding AA we would have placed first. As it was we came in fourth place; but, I was still pleased with Junior's efforts. He was definitely cranky and I have the video to prove it. The judge, same one as for our first test, commented that he struggles at this level to carry. I think it was more the footing than his ability but we are definitely going to work on strength and stamina for the next few months. I also plan to use the lateral work at second to really try to develop at least some scope at the walk under saddle. He demonstrates it at liberty; but, the judge commented on his lower gait score due to his lack of scope at the walk. Overall I felt the tests were scored fairly.

I had someone approach and ask if we were one of the demo riders at the L grad program a couple weekends ago. I confirmed that we were and she said that everyone was commenting on how cute Junior is/was. Always nice to know you have a cutie patootie pony.

We're entered to ride the same two tests tomorrow. Unfortunately despite having 3 judges I ride in front of the same judge again for one of those two tests. I think if Junior does well for our first ride which is in front of a different judge I will likely scratch my second ride. I got a pretty good understanding of our issues and the judge's (today's) opinion of where I need to focus. Since the footing is deeper than we like, I don't want to risk injury due to fatigue by going for both tests tomorrow especially when I don't think we'll gain any benefits from it.

My daughter caught our second ride on my phone so here ya go,

https://youtu.be/lx9HNAjNWNU

demi

Postby demi » Sun Nov 03, 2019 2:56 am

I enjoyed watching 2-1! Lots of good work, but the thing that stood out right away was the improvement in lengthened trot!

Thanks for the description of your work and plans. I look forward to watching more.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Sun Nov 03, 2019 3:54 am

Yes, that last trot lengthening was nice--especially as that can be quite taxing for a tired horse.

He is a cutie patootie!

demi

Postby demi » Sun Nov 03, 2019 3:57 pm

In preparing to ride my own horse today, I watched your 2-1 test again, and this time, I read the test while watching. One thing I became aware of was that I need to keep the terminology clearer in my own head. I appreciate your exactness in training and want to thank you again for sharing!

I now know the reason that your trot lengthenings stood out was because they are not just trot lengthenings, but mediums. Even though Jr. was tired AND the footing was deep, both medium trots were distinctly mediums. The first one wasn’t even at the best viewing angle, and still I could see his body change from collection to medium.

exvet

Postby exvet » Mon Nov 04, 2019 1:39 pm

Thank you Demi, I really appreciate it. We've been working hard on our transitions between and within the gaits as well as our halts. Focusing on keeping him toned up and really maintaining the power in his body so that at any moment I can get forward to a medium and up into collection (shorter/smaller steps not slower) has helped both in the canter and the trot. I think as we really solidify the canter-walk and walk-canter transitions where he's really reaching through and finishing all the way into the bridle through the entire transition, the distinction between our medium and collected gaits in general will get better. I also think that not thinking of the downward as slowing the gait but just packaging the energy has helped us maintain better quality. I don't show again until February; so, we'll see how it all pans out over the next few months.

Linden
Herd Member

Postby Linden » Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:42 am

Great job! the mediums and transitions are looking great. You can really see the difference in the trot mediums, good job!!

I noticed you don't bend quite enough during corners/turns. if you pay attention to the shape and contact through each corner, you will find there is not quite enough inside leg to outside rein bending. this also disconnects the 'over the back' connection through and after the turns because it takes a few strides to straighten out again and reconnect. When you're approaching a turn, make sure you step down on the inside stirrup a bit, flex the jaw to the inside, and maintain the outside elbow back connection. Just a more through connection from inside leg to outside rein through all transitions and turns will clean up the test a bit and the rhythm will improve. I love his canter, it's really nice. your walk-canter transitions are there 100% but you tend to lose connection in your outside elbow (and flexion) so it pulls you up over his neck a bit, which then causes him to fall on the forehand. Try to stay back, outside heel down, and upper body vertical. when you start schooling flying changes, you'll need to really ride connected, not allowing yourself to be tipped over your shoulders. Doing some leg yield exercises in the canter can really help with developing bend and diagonal connection. great job!
"Fix things going forward." LR

exvet

Postby exvet » Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:07 pm

Thanks Linden! I will definitely focus more on my riding through the corners. We've been working on the walk to canter quite a bit. Junior's gone back and forth between trying to duck behind the contact and bracing using the underside of this neck so I've been having to focus more on keeping him 'on the bit' often by widening my hands which has me forgetting how to ride the rest of it. I'll do my best, however, to see if I can 'do all that' and keep myself upright. I'm going to try to get video of my rides at the February show. If I do we can all see if I am more successful with my own biomechanics.

exvet

Postby exvet » Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:06 am

Well we showed second level today and it wasn't great but it wasn't completely horrid either. When I came on to post this update I read my response to Linden after a previous show about focusing on riding through my corners more - well I still need to work on that one LOL. I need, no surprise to any of us, more engagement and more suppleness to really get the good marks. We won our first class, second level test 1 with a 63 and change riding open and earned a second place riding second test 2 with a 61 and change.

Unfortunately we left our accurate simple changes in the warm up. They would have been there but as I was riding the turns on the haunches the judge rung me off course, asked me to go back and redo it then stopped me again and apologized because she had gotten herself confused and said I was right all along......her comment then was "just pretend this never happened." Well that, despite my miles in the show ring, wasn't possible and our tension meter went up through the roof. It wasn't Junior's fault....totally on me; but, it was what it was. I see lots of things to improve and will be focusing on becoming much better at second level throughout the rest of this year. My daughter was kind enough to come and video my rides. Here is the video of second level test 1. I realize that as Junior turns 6 next month he's aging out of the young horse category. It's been kind of fun to follow his progress in one thread; but, I guess we'll need to remove the training wheels and stay in the training forum ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VxpWpApNnc

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Mon Feb 10, 2020 4:41 pm

He is looking so much stronger and more powerful; nice work!
Keep calm and canter on.

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:57 pm

Junior looks great!

I don't think anyone can recover gracefully from going off course (or not, as is the case). It's really unsettling.

exvet

Postby exvet » Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:13 pm

Thanks y'all. BTW, Junior is sporting his new roached look! I started braiding him Saturday night and between my arthritis, desire to keep things easier this time around and the fact that he inherited his dam's 'double' pony mane, I decided to pull out the clippers instead. He was a good boy considering I'd never clipped his mane before Sat; but, he's become a champ with body clipping in general. That isn't what amazed me though.....his crest is so wide!! and it's widest at the base of this neck ;)

demi

Postby demi » Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:31 pm

Just wanted to say I’m enjoying your progress with Jr.
I liked how you clearly straightened him after the left shoulder-in and then nicely bent him into the corner. Clockwork! The right SI might have been just as nice but wasn’t as visible from the camera angle.
Also liked the clear transition from the right medium to collected canter. So clear.
Love your work and thanks for sharing.

exvet

Postby exvet » Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:23 pm

Thank you demi. I am tentatively planning on a showing the same tests at a recognized show in March. If I do we'll see if there's any improvement. I hope I'll be able to get videos of those some or all of those rides. I'm happy for his obedience in the tests of this most recent show. Now, I need to improve the quality of his gaits to equal a true second level horse. I had a lesson today that at least ended with a glimmer of us being on the right path.

chantal
500 post plus club

Postby chantal » Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:04 am

Wow exvet, your work is really showing. You two look great! There's more than a glimmer there.

"I liked how you clearly straightened him after the left shoulder-in and then nicely bent him into the corner. Clockwork! The right SI might have been just as nice but wasn’t as visible from the camera angle."

This!! I have such an issue with SI, my issue, but it's coming. I will keep this image in my head now, thank you! And his lengthenings are showing too. I stopped the video to do something at the awkward moment of canter, but it didn't even look awkward. He was so up in his shoulders and your position is just beautiful. More images in my head... Looking forward to more updates.

exvet

Postby exvet » Tue Mar 17, 2020 1:37 pm

Thank you Chantal. I'm still waiting to get my videos from this past weekend at our show in Tucson. Junior did okay. We clearly are having trouble getting and keeping him supple throughout a second level test with the demands for more engagement. There are definitely areas where he's made vast improvement - like his use of his hind end - but the strength is still developing and his moments of tension through his back still exist for far too long. He's built like a fire plug so trying to maintain any visible degree of suppleness when he gets tight between the ears is a definite challenge. Accuracy of the test is less of a challenge. At least for the whole weekend we kept it in the 60s, albeit low 60s.....

exvet

Postby exvet » Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:37 pm

Well Junior turned another year older last weekend (6 years old) and we celebrated with going to a horse show as mentioned in my previous post. We're struggling with finding that balance between forward power through and over the top-line and not just getting faster, speeding up when I ask for the hind end to come under even more. Because he's still not sure that he can do what I'm asking we're challenged with too much tension through the back and not being supple enough longitudinally or laterally. There were definitely some decent moments to our tests. We rode second test 1 and second test 2 both days. Our scores ranged from 60-65 on day one and hovered at 62-63 on day two. Overall I was pleased with Junior's general good nature and level headed demeanor despite showing me the middle hoof on Saturday while cleaning his stall (when he jumped over the wheelbarrow and escaped briefly). He was a perfectly well behaved pony all other times, LOL. Here are videos of my two tests on Sunday. I'm sure I'm not alone wishing that I could have picked the good parts from each test and just ridden 'that' test LOL.

I also think that we're going to have to continue our 'story' in another forum since I guess he's now an 'adult' :roll: and no longer considered to be young or green.......oh well it happens to all of us eventually ;)

https://youtu.be/wTzz7GasEJg

https://youtu.be/C1iBn3JqUgI

Dresseur
500 post plus club

Postby Dresseur » Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:45 pm

Exvet - I added some comments in your thread on the training forum. I did those before I watched the videos, now that I'm seeing the videos - I think that some of what I'm working with on Miro could help. The biggest things that I see is that there are small hiccups when you do the circles out of the shoulder in, and he's also sliding his haunches around in the circles, rather than truly bending. Where it really shows up is anywhere you try to put the haunches in, where he doesn't really bend behind the saddle - so haunches in on the long side, he wants to make it leg yieldy and when you ask for more, he wanders away from the rail in HI and SI, and more telling... in the walk piri's, his first step is out, so I would recommend schooling the walk piri's large, and think extended walk in the neck with those (so that he doesn't retract and get tight in the neck and shoulders), but he has to step IN and keep the rhythm. Keep them large. For haunches in, I know you know this, but do not let him wander - it's a sure sign hh are not going through - he has to stay with you and bend, so be strict about the line, and then exaggerate the haunches coming in so that you start to feel a bit of bend behind the saddle.

The transitions are also a huge tell - he drops the shoulders - I know these are a constant work in progress for you - but I would take a look at some of the transitions exercises I do with Miro and see if that helps keeps his shoulders up so that he can come under a bit more behind.

Please know that this was not meant to be a litany of "bad" because you've done a remarkable job with him and I have no doubt that you will both reach your goals. It's more meant to be a "things I watch for and notice" when I'm working on the things that you are also working on.

exvet

Postby exvet » Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:53 pm

No worries Dresseur. I appreciate the feedback. I realize that he's figuring out how to escape the requests I'm making and not fully coming through consistently. I will employ some of your suggestions that we're not already doing and see how it goes. Thank you.

Return to “Young Horse Forum and Breeding and Registries”