Joplin my 2014 Lusitano X filly

khall
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Joplin my 2014 Lusitano X filly

Postby khall » Fri May 04, 2018 2:56 am

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =3&theater

Finally got a little bit of video of my filly, Jo. She's such a good girl, hope to get her US soon. I do not use SRs while lunging any of my horses, just not my thing any more. I also do a bit of in hand work with her. Just off the caveson at this point though she is carrying a bit/bridle now. Will be interesting to see how different she is to ride after owning WBs for years now.

Kyra's Mom
500 post plus club

Re: Joplin my 2014 Lusitano X filly

Postby Kyra's Mom » Fri May 04, 2018 4:09 am

Boy, she has an engine. Enjoy.

Susan
from susamorg on the UDBB

exvet

Postby exvet » Mon May 07, 2018 1:53 pm

Kyra's Mom wrote:Boy, she has an engine. Enjoy.

Susan

Boy I'll say she sure does! Wowza! Love a mare that's built solid like she is and of course one of my favorite colors too. Nice to get to see her.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Mon May 07, 2018 6:01 pm

Nice to see you, Joplin! I look forward to more updates.

Anne
Herd Member

Postby Anne » Mon May 07, 2018 9:30 pm

Khall she is a lovely solid girl, and what a nice canter! Looking forward to updates too.

demi

Postby demi » Mon May 07, 2018 10:14 pm

All I can see is a still photo. Which is lovely! I look forward to reports of her progress.

Flight

Postby Flight » Tue May 08, 2018 1:32 am

I can't get the vids to play either, but she is very pretty :)

khall

Postby khall » Tue May 08, 2018 3:28 am

Thanks guys, no idea why the videos won't play for some! I am really excited about Jo, I love her brain for one and I love her movement. Big mover in a smaller package (15.2 right now). She definitely inherited Saphiro's canter. Watching his video, that canter is what stuck out for me and why I chose him. Exvet the color was a definite plus and was guaranteed!

Her dam, Anna (she is the one I lost to colic fall 2016) https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =3&theater
Anna was Han/TB by a G line stallion and out of a TB mare that went back to some good sport lines of Bonne Nuit and Cormac. Big hip came from the TB side.

Her sire Saphiro https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =3&theater

He is not a trappy mover as many of the baroques are, loved his conformation with a good loin. So many of the baroques can be weak in the loin. Jo also got the higher set neck from Saphiro.

All in all very happy with the cross and excited to work with a different type of horse than what my WBs are. She is so people oriented but not in the dominating way the WBs can be. Her dam was very soft too though, so she has good genes for good mind on both sides.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Tue May 08, 2018 4:13 am

Really gorgeous mare, wow!
Keep calm and canter on.

khall

Postby khall » Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:42 pm

Thanks SF I am so in love with this filly! She is 3rd generation mare line for me, so it is exciting to see what I have movement and temperament wise. Cannot complain!

https://www.facebook.com/keri.hall.35/v ... 224730612/

and a picture just because:) https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =3&theater

khall

Postby khall » Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:44 pm

First ride on Joplin was a complete non event:) It was windy, we were in the middle of a clinic with pop up and people in the gallery. Jo just went out and went to work easy peasy. Her lunging was short and sweet, her in hand work showed how smart she is and climbing on her with Cedar as support was so much fun.

exvet

Postby exvet » Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:26 pm

Congratulations! Those maiden voyages are the best especially when they step up to the plate.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:36 pm

awesome!

chantal
500 post plus club

Postby chantal » Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:53 pm

Fantastic! She's really pretty. Enjoy her!

Hayburner

Postby Hayburner » Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:20 pm

Congrats!!!

Who is Cedar?

Do you have a trainer that works with the baroque breeds?

Mine definitely does not need to be pushed forward like the WB...

khall

Postby khall » Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:59 pm

Thanks! Yes I do, she is Cedar Potts-Warner, assistant trainer to JP Giacomini. She rides for the most part Iberians, though her two personal horses are OTTBs. JP breeds and trains Lusitanos and PREs, with some crosses in there.

Unfortunately Joplin strained her DDFT and suspensory branch during TO over the clinic weekend so I only got the one ride in. Vet is pretty positive with the prognosis, will find out more Wednesday week. With her other genetic side I am able to push her forward more like a WB, though she is way easier to move her feet than my WBs are. She's quite the relaxed young horse with a fabulous mind.

khall

Postby khall » Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:41 am

So incredibly proud of my filly Joplin as we did our first trot steps US this weekend with no drama or issues. Joplin is exactly what I hoped for when I bred her dam a Han/TB to Saphiro a Lusitano stallion. She has 3 lovely gaits, a great mind, kind and sweet and just such an easy young horse to deal with. She is showing me how sensitive she will be to seat aids in the little riding we've done so far. I am so excited for our future.

I also have to say what a fabulous trainer to work with Cedar Potts Warner is turning out to be in working with my youngster. She has a great program in working with these young horses and I really appreciate the assist.

musical comedy

Postby musical comedy » Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:47 am

Did you get any pics of her at the clinic? Sounds like that little injury she got earlier has resolved. That's good! I agree that Cedar has apparently developed into one heck of a rider and trainer. It's so hard to find someone to work with just-started horses.

khall

Postby khall » Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:30 pm

I did MC, just have not been able to post any yet. Got done with the clinic and have had appointments with my parents for 3 days now.

The injury she had in October was very minor, a "sprained ankle" is what my vet called it. She is shod now behind to support her behind. She is a bit chubby but otherwise looking great. I'm very happy with how we fit together. Being used to riding the bigger WBs, was not sure how I would feel on Joplin at 15.2/15.3. She is big bodied though and fits me well.

Cedar is just awesome with getting the youngsters going. She obviously does this quite a bit and has a definite program that is very horse friendly. Now to find someone to help me here that has enough experience to be an asset.

exvet

Postby exvet » Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:34 pm

Love her color and her substance! Congrats on her development.

On another note, I too have been seeing a lot of doctors' waiting rooms lately. Hang in there.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:37 pm

Joplin is really gorgeous and substantial! I bet she doesn't feel "short" at all. Enjoy the journey and keep us posted.

Anne
Herd Member

Postby Anne » Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:55 am

Wow Khall, you must be very pleased. You two 'fit' very well, and it must be great to have a good young horse trainer to help and give you both confidence.

khall

Postby khall » Sun Mar 31, 2019 7:53 pm

Thanks everyone for your support! Now to just lose that last 20 lbs, sigh.

Not getting as much done as I had hoped, my parents have had several crisis health wise unfortunately. My dad especially is very fragile. We are trying desperately to get the apartment built so we can move them here to the farm. I think I will need to hire help here on the farm with all I will be doing for them so I can still ride as much as I can. My DH and I just became empty nesters last fall when our DS went off to college. I agree with you exvet caring for aging parents is very much like caring for children. Though with more doctors appointments than I ever had to do for our DS.

kande50

Postby kande50 » Sun Mar 31, 2019 11:00 pm

khall wrote:I agree with you exvet caring for aging parents is very much like caring for children. Though with more doctors appointments than I ever had to do for our DS.

All I can say is that it's a good thing they get feeble, because I don't know how anyone would be able to manage a big, strong dementia patient the way they flip flop back and forth between sweet/cooperative and mean/combative. We can go through multiple cooperative-uncooperative spells just to get ready to go to a doctor's app't, although once we're in the car things are usually much better.

I just feel very, very lucky that I got most of my riding obsession out of my system before I starting having to spend half my time at my mother's. It's actually worked out quite well because now I ride one day and then go to my mother's and rest the next day, but the only reason I can do that is because there are two of us taking care of one parent. I can't even imagine having to do it all myself.

exvet

Postby exvet » Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:06 am

The juggling act is a bit easier with fewer horses. I get tempted every once in a while but a quick call from my mother telling me her list of needs for the week snaps me back to reality. Despite our weather being crazy this year I consider myself so lucky to be able to ride at least 4 days a week. I have certainly shifted my priorities in my riding such that Junior gets the majority of my time; but, it also helps that my SO really enjoys riding. My struggle is balancing his love of trail riding with my need to school. I'm hoping to have my mother's house ready in 2 weeks to go on the market and if we get lucky and sell, move her to a condo that is closer to everything. This hopefully will give back some of her independence (and mine). I find that at the lower levels we can get away with far less hours in the saddle and still pull things off.

I've also come to realize that some of the 'unplanned' breaks in riding actually have forced opportunities to focus on more in hand work, more ground work - things I can do in a shorter amount of time and without concern of having to cool out a horse afterwards which I think has paid off more this time around......or maybe I'm just rationalizing. I'm sure having your parents closer will help. I'm also sure your 5 year old will have no trouble progressing. Good minds always seem to be able to advance. Looking forward to seeing more pictures of her as she develops.

khall

Postby khall » Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:10 pm

First canter US with Joplin and it was a no drama event:) First ride off line WT, 7th ride overall. Incredibly stoked with my homebred, self trained with fab help from Cedar Potts-Warner with my Lusitano X filly. She shows such maturity sensitivity but so sensible and I loff her!!

exvet

Postby exvet » Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:55 pm

Congrats! I so understand the thrill of having one who is sensible and 'mature' in such a young body. More pictures please!

Sue B

Postby Sue B » Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:33 pm

Many congratulations khall. I saw your photos on FB...way to go!

khall

Postby khall » Sun Jul 28, 2019 9:42 pm

Lovely very basic ride on Joplin yesterday:) Had a long time friend come over and be my ground person and then off line again. No cantering this time but change of direction through the circle and spiral in and out both at the trot. She is such a good girl!!

exvet

Postby exvet » Tue Jul 30, 2019 4:03 am

No price can be put on those with a good brain and willing attitude. Congrats!

Return to “Young Horse Forum and Breeding and Registries”