His first x-c experience

Xanthoria
Herd Member

His first x-c experience

Postby Xanthoria » Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:31 pm

I took the Baby Bronto to the x-c facility nearby recently, hoping for a nice hack around the perimeter and some trot and canter sets on the gallop track. Instead, found out that "x-c" is an abbreviation for "eXtra Corporeal" and we got:

- Total rigid plant and :shock: at the gateway: "WHAT IS THIS FIELD OF MYSTERY DEATH OBJECTS!?! I WILL NOT ENTER!"
- Swerve and bulge passing every jump with a wide berth
- Eyes on stalks at someone walking a dog 300 yards away
- Literally SHAKING in his size 4 shoes at the sight of the water truck 1/4 mile away. Parked. Silently.
- 2 spin and attempt to run away maneuvers that were captured very neatly on the ride map on my Equilabs app. One caused my a rock, the other by a squirrel. Both almost causing me to be thrown in the shrubbery.
- Literally 30 solid minutes circling the water complex, dried to no more than 2" of damp mud. Never did go in.

It was 92 degrees out and after an hour and a quarter I had had enough. I held onto the bucking strap with BOTH hands and made him trot around the 1 mile long gallop track three times. Then we both died.

Where's my posthumous medal, dangit? :lol: :| :evil: :roll: :lol:

Flight
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: His first x-c experience

Postby Flight » Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:52 am

:lol: :lol: :lol:

khall

Postby khall » Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:28 am

God WBs are such chickens! You should have seen Rip with cows!!!!

Tuddy
500 post plus club

Postby Tuddy » Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:04 pm

Good job! I would have gotten off and cried after the first spook. LOL!

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:10 pm

At least you know he's feeling pretty fit! Well ridden and it will go better next time (or else you'll end up with a dressage horse ;-)

We have a fab cross country course where I board. We ride around the jumps and track all the time---yet, Em has a meltdown anytime they fill the water complex or change the flowers/decorations for the jumps. She has at least gotten used to the blue snake aka hose to the creek for filling the water complex :-)

Xanthoria
Herd Member

Postby Xanthoria » Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:58 pm

WBs are wussy - I am used to the lion-hearted TB mind, so this is making me a bit :?

I am sure if I go back 2-3 times he will be better. In fact, a year ago I couldn't imagine trail riding him alone, but I do now and he does great.

But is that how it's going to be at every single new adventure? I can't handle the drama! :shock: :lol:

piedmont, he must be fairly fit - he was only really sweaty under the saddle, altho it was so hot I guess it might have been evaporating as soon as he sweated. And I assumed he'd be a bit pokey the next day, but he wasn't. Well, not any more than usual. He's an energy conservationist... :mrgreen:

Well, plan is to get him out on the trailer weekly, so I might end up with a giant, very fit, spooky disaster zone at the end of the year! Or he might chillax and start being a useful riding horse at very long last...

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:25 pm

I love youngsters. They are just so freaking weird!
Good on you for sticking the tack!

You did remind me — I need to add a strap for our first real trail ride. This walking down the drive is NBD, we've done that in hand. But once we have to venture out on the asphalt in order to get down to the trails? All hell is going to break loose.

Xanthoria
Herd Member

Postby Xanthoria » Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:28 pm

I put straps on both saddles and have no shame in hooking fingers thru when his head and heart rate go up! I find many of them are pretty short so keep an eye on that if you're buying. ;)

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:41 pm

Xanthoria wrote:I put straps on both saddles and have no shame in hooking fingers thru when his head and heart rate go up! I find many of them are pretty short so keep an eye on that if you're buying. ;)

No kidding! Hanging on v. hard crash? I'll go for the strap.

I normally just use a neck rope with a sheet bend knot. None of my mares have a very deep chest, so that's well within easy reach.

Xanthoria
Herd Member

Postby Xanthoria » Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:49 pm

You know, maybe I'm doing it wrong but I find neck straps make me lean forwards, and that's the last thing I want when the world starts spinning. Perhaps I just have t-rex arms! :lol:

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:04 pm

Lol! I do have freakishly long arms!

demi

Postby demi » Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:06 am

heddylamar wrote:Lol! I do have freakishly long arms!

Ha! Do you have calluses on your knuckles where they drag on the ground!

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:05 am

Well done with the drama! Hopefully you just made his brain mature by six months in one day.
Keep calm and canter on.

Return to “Young Horse Forum and Breeding and Registries”