Great Ride/ Improved Canter

PhoenixRising
500 post plus club

Great Ride/ Improved Canter

Postby PhoenixRising » Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:58 pm

I had a really great ride on Phoenix last night. I hadn't been feeling great earlier this week, so she ended up getting 4 days off in a row which I wasn't too thrilled about after all the great progress we made last week and I was really afraid we'd take a couple steps backwards. Even so, last night I got some of the best canter work I've ridden on her yet! Usually it *feels* like a daredevil mad dash where she's still trying to find her balance. However last night I was able to really feel her sit back a bit more and she gave me what felt like a really lovely canter. She did have a few issues with getting the correct lead and trying to drop to the trot, but I'll take it!

Keep in mind, this was only her 6th ride since having 6-8 months off. She's not quite as on the bit as usual the last two rides but I'm not too worried, I think its all a part of her process of getting back into the swing of things. I've also been off just as long as she has so I'm not riding my best either. I'm also trying to get used to riding in these Kerrits Ice Fils, I love them and am a LOT cooler in them, but don't feel as stable in the saddle as with my other breeches.

And with a small bit of trepidation, the video evidence.

https://youtu.be/FGlT9OnIKuc

https://youtu.be/Zfnn79Eqtcw
Go confidently in the direction of your dreams, live the life you've imagined!

Sue B
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: Great Ride/ Improved Canter

Postby Sue B » Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:24 pm

Looking great PhoenixRising! You must be very pleased with your little girl.

If you don't mind (and take it for what you will), a tiny suggestion. Fair warning, this is way easier to say than to do on youngsters. Anyways, try to focus on opening and closing your elbows in the canter to encourage her to use her neck more effectively. In other words, create the bascule by acting as though its there, and she will follow your lead instead of holding her neck up and "rigid." I am not criticizing her or you, just offering up something to try that, from my experience, works.

PhoenixRising
500 post plus club

Postby PhoenixRising » Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:35 pm

Sue B wrote:Looking great PhoenixRising! You must be very pleased with your little girl.

If you don't mind (and take it for what you will), a tiny suggestion. Fair warning, this is way easier to say than to do on youngsters. Anyways, try to focus on opening and closing your elbows in the canter to encourage her to use her neck more effectively. In other words, create the bascule by acting as though its there, and she will follow your lead instead of holding her neck up and "rigid." I am not criticizing her or you, just offering up something to try that, from my experience, works.

Constructive criticism is more than welcome! I think I’ve started riding her a tad defensively because of how looky she’s been, and trying to run off with me Sunday. :roll: Definitely easier said than done, but a great reminder. Thank you!

musical comedy

Postby musical comedy » Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:06 pm

Very good for her age and long time off! My comments would be not to canter the whole ring several times. Instead, make circles or down transitions. I say this because it makes it easier for them to balance. The video is a bit blurry, but it looks like your stirrups are too long.

PhoenixRising
500 post plus club

Postby PhoenixRising » Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:11 pm

musical comedy wrote:Very good for her age and long time off! My comments would be not to canter the whole ring several times. Instead, make circles or down transitions. I say this because it makes it easier for them to balance. The video is a bit blurry, but it looks like your stirrups are too long.

Its possible the stirrups are too long, but I also really dislike this saddle. Its the one that fits her best of what's at the barn available for use, but I cant keep my leg back at all in it. I wonder if that's part of the issue? Transitions are actually an area I need to start to focus on, as I feel like I'm pretty terrible at riding them. I think it would help both of us to school them some. With only being 6 rides in from such a long break, I've just been focusing on calm forward movement so far.

musical comedy

Postby musical comedy » Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:23 pm

PhoenixRising wrote:Its possible the stirrups are too long, but I also really dislike this saddle. Its the one that fits her best of what's at the barn available for use, but I cant keep my leg back at all in it. I wonder if that's part of the issue?
Yes, I'll bet it is. It looked like your leg was swinging forward. That could affect the canter. I definitely relate to the problem as I am also currently in a poor fitting saddle that won't allow me to keep my leg back. Shortening the stirrups would help you with that. I can't do that because then my knee would be over the knee roll.

PhoenixRising
500 post plus club

Postby PhoenixRising » Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:30 pm

musical comedy wrote:Yes, I'll bet it is. It looked like your leg was swinging forward. That could affect the canter. I definitely relate to the problem as I am also currently in a poor fitting saddle that won't allow me to keep my leg back. Shortening the stirrups would help you with that. I can't do that because then my knee would be over the knee roll.

I'll try raising them a few notches tomorrow. This saddle is the worst, I feel like I get an instant chair seat. It doesn't help my balance much either, as I'm constantly trying to pull my leg back but having them go "flying" out in front of me instead. Or at least that's how it feels anyway :lol:

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:02 pm

I agree that shorter stirrups help a chair seat. I cannot see the video yet cause barn =no wifi.

I'm looking forward to seeing it later.

Flight

Postby Flight » Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:05 pm

She's very pretty and yes, going well for only a handful of rides after time off :) Nice!

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Sat Jul 21, 2018 4:58 am

I think that looks good and like you are staying out of her way. The feeling of flying around and trying not to slam into a wall is very fresh in my mind, so I can commiserate and verify that it does get better!

I agree on shortening the stirrups. I wouldn't worry too much about being in a bit of a chair seat at this point. With a shorter stirrup you'll be able to turn your leg in and put it on a little more to support her, which is what I think she needs at this point. You could also try shortening your reins and getting up into a light seat and a little more forward. I find that feels a little more in control when the canter is still kind of all over the place, and it's easier to keep the leg on and supportive.
Keep calm and canter on.

PhoenixRising
500 post plus club

Postby PhoenixRising » Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:03 pm

I did raise the stirrups a couple notches this weekend, and I do think it helped. However, one of the BO's/Owner of the saddle said it puts EVERYONE in a chair seat and that's a big reason they're selling it. No one likes it. She said its useless fighting it and just to ride in it the best I can without worrying too much about my leg.
On that note, she gave me a couple lessons with Phoenix over the weekend and they helped a LOT. I was able to regain some of the relaxation I'd lost and got some *really* good moments of downward stretching from her at the walk and trot.
We also came to the realization I'm nagging her a bit with my legs, so I've got some work to do there to do 2 things:
1. Stop trying to correct her imbalance, if I stay balanced and straight she gets better.
2. Its her job to go forward and I shouldn't be constantly having to ask her to keep going. Which, actually she isn't bad at... its me. :lol:

Return to “Young Horse Forum and Breeding and Registries”