Training goals for my 4yo

chantal
Herd Member

Training goals for my 4yo

Postby chantal » Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:04 am

Well, after a bumpy (literally) start. We are back on track. At the trainers for this month riding my guy and a number of other horses, 2-3 horses about 4x a week. Her goal for me, to have fun. I am having sooooo much fun!

4yo wasn't getting enough turnout at the temporary place before I brought him home (meaning barn 13 miles away instead of 33 miles away) and it showed. He had a nasty spook (surprised the crap outta everyone, especially me who got dumped-no serious injury, just soreness but a serious scared reaction. I haven't come off in 25 years). So, we went back to the trainers where he had been for 4+ months and he is back to his sane, non-reactive fun self. Such a smart boy and so much fun. The new barn up here will be more like the trainer's place. Lots of turnout and friends to chew on. :lol:

We went walking with the hounds last week and are going to a hunter pace in a week. He was so good with the hounds, reacted even better than my trainer thought he would. We are exposing him to everything we can. We popped over a few tiny fences and he loves it. No over jumping, just fun. I haven't jumped in 30 years but have wanted to so this is AWESOME. I'm hoping to take one of the steady eddy mares hunting this month. The week before the hound walking we went hacking and I moved a gate from his back, his trainer had done that before. No reaction, acted like a old, steady cow pony. Went through so many huge puddles like they were nothing and was just mr. cool, 'cept for the dog who barked at us from across the street, and that was only a few strides of soft trot/canter and back to walk on his own. And no reaction the second time the darn dog started up.

I take a lesson with my instructor once a week so I feel like he is well-rounded and not overworked. I think this is what we'll be doing until he's 5. It seems like he could very easily come behind the bit so we are keeping his neck out and him moving forward. And boy does he have a push from behind. He is a little croup high right now he'll probably grow a little in the withers as well. Saddle fitting sucks but he's worth it. :shock: :lol:
Attachments
brothers.jpg
Brothers-mine is on the left
brothers.jpg (86.91 KiB) Viewed 148 times
houndwalking.jpg
Walking with the hounds
houndwalking.jpg (184.37 KiB) Viewed 148 times

StraightForward
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: Training goals for my 4yo

Postby StraightForward » Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:23 am

He sounds like a wonderful guy, so glad you're having a blast with him! :)
The UDBB member known as AQHA Hunter

Chisamba
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby Chisamba » Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:18 pm

Fabulous

Tuddy
Herd Member

Postby Tuddy » Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:24 pm

Nice! Looking forward to hearing more of his journey!

chantal
Herd Member

Postby chantal » Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:56 pm

And the next goal is to get him sound. He got banged in the pasture and his front leg is blown up, like really blown up.

Horses...

Don't know if you'll be able to see this but here is a video of him jumping before I bought him. Going down the chute... Of course, I got hin to be a dressage horse but you never know.

https://www.facebook.com/celia.vornholt/videos/1821597941232320/

paownyc
Greenie

Postby paownyc » Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:27 pm

Oh dear!

You are in the in-hand group, right? There are lots of good suggestions for youngsters and what you can do while he is healing.

chantal
Herd Member

Postby chantal » Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:20 pm

paownyc wrote:Oh dear!

You are in the in-hand group, right? There are lots of good suggestions for youngsters and what you can do while he is healing.

Yes I am. :D

chantal
Herd Member

Postby chantal » Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:11 pm

He's already feeling better and swelling is way down so I hopped on today and did a little bit of flatwork as my trainer calls it. She's a timber rider just for perspective who has a dressage background.

That feeling when you get on your own horse after a week off and fall in love with him all over again... oh my!

exvet
Herd Member

Postby exvet » Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:41 pm

Glad to hear of the significant recovery. I think jumping in a variety of forms helps build muscle, improve timing and tact and dressage of course gives the rider more tools to support that. All of mine jump, just not all do it competitively. We still enjoy doing hunter paces for that reason. Once he's fully healed just don't look back!

chantal
Herd Member

Postby chantal » Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:17 pm

Thanks exvet.

We did wind up doing the hunter pace. He only had little swelling around the wound and had been sound on it since Tuesday. He was amazing and handled it like a champ. So relaxed trailering and around all the other horses and such. Relaxed at the start, up a bit after we started but went right through the hay bales and pumpkins without even looking. White cows, what white cows? Threw a big, soft "woohoo this is fun" buck on the race track (to which I pulled his head up and said no bucking!!! :lol: :lol: ). Yes, we got to ride on a training track at a TB farm. He would have taken off if I let him but noooooo. And he had to lead the babysitter through the finish hay bales as that horse wanted nothing to do with them. :lol:

I love my horse!!
Attachments
DSC_2452 - Edited.jpg
At the start, just though the hay bales.
DSC_2452 - Edited.jpg (126.17 KiB) Viewed 19 times
DSC_2512 - Edited.jpg
Crossings don't bother him.
DSC_2512 - Edited.jpg (160.58 KiB) Viewed 19 times
DSC_2471 - Edited.jpg
Right after the start up an incline. He's a little up. I love his push from behind.
DSC_2471 - Edited.jpg (130.48 KiB) Viewed 19 times

Return to “Young Horse Forum”