Class of 2016, am I the only one?

StraightForward
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Class of 2016, am I the only one?

Postby StraightForward » Fri Aug 23, 2019 1:34 pm

I might be the only one around with a three year old?? Even if I'm talking to myself, these threads make a nice record to go back to over time, but hopefully some others will join in the young horse fun.

So this is Tesla, 2016 mare by Don Deluxe (DeNiro) out of a Weltmeyer mare, currently 16.2. I've had her for a year now, and am starting to get more serious about her training. She is lunging pretty well now, and last night was the first night ground-driving off of the bit instead of the lunging caveson. She is fairly quiet and sensible, but has just a bit of attitude. Working on getting her in a bit of a more obedient, forward-thinking mindset before I climb on. Hoping to put about 20 rides on her this fall, and then focus on groundwork and give her some more time to mature until next spring.
Attachments
Tess 82219.jpg
Tess 82219.jpg (39.65 KiB) Viewed 16231 times
Keep calm and canter on.

Sue B

Re: Class of 2016, am I the only one?

Postby Sue B » Fri Aug 23, 2019 5:05 pm

My, she's looking so grown up already!

Are you going to do those first rides or are you sending her to a "starter"?

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Fri Aug 23, 2019 5:49 pm

I'm planning to DIY; I guess I'm a glutton for punishment. Also poor after paying vet bills...
Keep calm and canter on.

khall

Postby khall » Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:23 pm

Pretty girl! She's going to be a big one!!

Good luck with getting her started, having a good ground person makes all the difference in the world.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:23 pm

khall wrote:Pretty girl! She's going to be a big one!!

Good luck with getting her started, having a good ground person makes all the difference in the world.

Yeah, planned to have the BO help as a ground person, then she got hurt a few weeks ago and doesn't have much use of her right arm. Hopefully she'll be up to it in aonth or so.
Keep calm and canter on.

Kelo
Herd Member

Postby Kelo » Thu Aug 29, 2019 2:37 pm

No! I have one as well :)

Mine is Hope, she's a ranch-raised Quarter Horse with cutting horse bloodlines (Peppy San and Doc Tari). She is *cough* somewhere around 13.2, I need to remeasure her, but suffice to say she's real easy to get saddled and get on :lol: She's a good-hearted, willing thing, but also has the quickness and the grit. She's also uncomfortably smart and learns whatever I teach her the first time, which is both wonderful and terrifying considering I'm an amateur.

I got her last year for a few hundred bucks, she was completely untouched by humans, so I literally started from 0. We had to learn to be touched, haltered, stand tied, have her body handled, groomed, feet worked on, started under saddle, the whole shebang. I've done everything, save a couple months when a colt-starting friend of mine put some miles on her for me.

I am riding her now, but not pushing her at all. Trust me when I say if I didn't give her something to do, she'd find something, and I much prefer my ideas to hers. 8-) We work very brief and easy sessions, she spends more time standing tied while I work my other horse and do chores than anything (she's gotta learn patience!).

We are doing walk/trot/canter/back, basic lateral work, starting the turnaround. Just working on being soft and forward. She's been introduced to the flag and seen cattle, been on a few trail rides, and been to two shows -- a western dressage intro test and a stock horse class. There were no socks knocked off, but I'm very pleased with her so far.

Who knows, maybe she wants to be a cutting or reined cow horse slash dressage horse when she grows up....but she'll definitely be eligible for pony dressage classes :lol:
Attachments
IMG_1879.jpg
IMG_1879.jpg (68.12 KiB) Viewed 16164 times
IMG_8625.jpg
IMG_8625.jpg (39.04 KiB) Viewed 16164 times

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Thu Aug 29, 2019 4:36 pm

Wow, you are making great progress with her! She sounds like lots of fun and looks like a nice mover from that last pic.
Keep calm and canter on.

Kelo
Herd Member

Postby Kelo » Thu Aug 29, 2019 7:47 pm

Thanks - she's doing well! I think it's the Doc Tari "show me once and I've got it" thing. We keep it quiet and easy, and she's just picking stuff up. She's getting the hang of staying loose and giving her back a little at the walk and trot, but we're still working on the lope.

She is a pretty nice little horse, considering what she is. She's built uphill, has a good neck set. She's not an ideal traditional dressage mover, but she's pretty decent for what I need. I could see her holding her own at the level of dressage I do (mostly local/regional), and doing VERY well in western dressage.

On the other hand, she's eating me out of house and home right now and growing. :shock: Who knows, she might sprout all the way up to 14.0 hh if I get lucky :lol: :lol: Is your filly eating a lot or is it just mine???

Your filly is just lovely - are you getting excited about starting her? I had been about 15 years since I started a colt, between my last one and this one, and let me tell you I got a lot older in that time. I started her, but I was kinda glad to send her to someone else for a little while. She's a super good girl, but she has the reactions of a cutting horse -- so when she goes, she GOES.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:58 pm

Yeah, she eats a lot, but well, she's on her way to 17+ hands, so I expect it. She outgrew her XL bell boots so I have a pair of 2XLs on the way. No under-sized feet here!

Planning to get on her myself once I can line up a ground person I trust. The last one I started did not go well, but I'm up for one more try. It's farther to the ground off the big ones, but at least they're pretty slow most of the time.
Keep calm and canter on.

Sue B

Postby Sue B » Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:04 pm

Peppy San is most likely going to leave her around 14 hands, 14.2 at the most, but dang, those sre some really great working horse bloodlines, Kelo. You are definitely going to have a blast with that little mare, no doubt about it!

SF, I wish I lived closer so I could help you. I love starting babies. :P

Kyra's Mom
500 post plus club

Postby Kyra's Mom » Sat Aug 31, 2019 5:14 am

I would love to help SF but I think I am too decrepit (about the same age as her barn owner...damn, things just don't work right anymore). I just am not very agile.

At least Tesla has already been sat on. I don't think it will be a big deal but for sure, need someone around...I can punch 911 on my phone ;) .

Very nice little mare Kelo.

Susan
from susamorg on the UDBB

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Sat Aug 31, 2019 5:27 am

Kyra's Mom wrote:I would love to help SF but I think I am too decrepit (about the same age as her barn owner...damn, things just don't work right anymore). I just am not very agile.

At least Tesla has already been sat on. I don't think it will be a big deal but for sure, need someone around...I can punch 911 on my phone ;) .

Very nice little mare Kelo.

Susan

We'll see. I hung my whole weight on her a few days ago and she didn't appreciate it too much, but she doesn't tend to react too badly. Mostly, I think she might get her feet glued to the ground. That's what happened with Maya, so I needed a ground person to get the feet unstuck. I've got a nice new crash vest that will be getting plenty of use this fall between the breaking project and the rehab project. :lol:
Keep calm and canter on.

Kelo
Herd Member

Postby Kelo » Tue Sep 03, 2019 1:06 pm

Sue B wrote:Peppy San is most likely going to leave her around 14 hands, 14.2 at the most, but dang, those sre some really great working horse bloodlines, Kelo. You are definitely going to have a blast with that little mare, no doubt about it!

Thanks, SueB! I suspect she maybe was a bit short on groceries in her early years, so think we'll be lucky to get to 14. But, hey, based on her temperament she could have a future career as a kid's horse, or a little old lady's horse -- so it's all good. She takes up plenty of leg and is super easy to saddle!

This weekend we went on a trail ride! It was her 3d-ever ride, just a couple hours quiet walk, my boyfriend and older horse guided us, and she was a very good girl. No silliness, crossed the water without objection, navigated the little slopes. :D
Attachments
trail-ride.jpg
trail-ride.jpg (34.68 KiB) Viewed 16066 times

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Thu Aug 13, 2020 4:54 am

Kelo, how is your girl doing?

I finally got around to starting my girl. She was lame all last summer after her OCD surgery, and I just didn't have the mental bandwidth for it while dealing with my other mare's rehab all winter.

5 rides in and so far, so good. Last night we did our first ride in the indoor arena, instead of the roundpen, and it was also our first ride without ground support. She is a smarty, and I think she'll be in regular work and W/T/C under saddle pretty quickly.
Attachments
Tesla First Ride.jpg
Tesla First Ride.jpg (152.17 KiB) Viewed 13711 times
Keep calm and canter on.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:42 pm

Ride #6, getting trot figured out and me making it clear that I decide when we get to stop. Feeling wise for investing in a whip with a flapper end just special for Tesla bopping. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zr9-SgPhxgM&t=1s
Keep calm and canter on.

exvet

Postby exvet » Fri Aug 14, 2020 5:06 pm

Looking good StraightForward. My new guy is a 2017 model. I never seen or used a whip with a flapper on the end. Not sure if I'll need it for Brandon but it my actually be smart for me to try one out on Junior. He's responsive to my aids but in some ways and at times kind of dull to the use of the dressage whip.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:19 pm

This is the one I bought: https://www.dressageextensions.com/flec ... 8044753087

I had better results with the lunge whip after I taped the lash back on itself so it had a more blunted effect, so I knew a regular dressage whip would probably just piss her off as well. She reacts better to being annoyed by blunt tapping, though I will work on getting her to respond to a shorter, quicker cue over time.
Keep calm and canter on.

Kelo
Herd Member

Postby Kelo » Mon Aug 24, 2020 8:45 pm

StraightForward, your newly minted riding pony looks good!

StraightForward wrote:Kelo, how is your girl doing?

She's doing good, we're mostly just puttering around at home, so there's not too much to report. She's still growing and looks good.

I haven't been trail riding in forever, which is sad for me.

She did get to do a couple of field trips in the past half a year....

I took her to a friend-of-a-friend's place and they let me work a cow (pictured). She's of course worked cattle before, but never with me aboard. And she hadn't seen one in mooooonths -- which, if you didn't know, many horses get "cow fresh" when they haven't worked a cow in awhile. AKA they get so excited they kinda buck and whatnot, so between those things I was a little hesitant, but she was a champ. We didn't work hard or long, but she was all over it and was an angel.

Also a friend took her and used her to help at a show, pushing cattle around. It was hours of slow (walk) work, lots of opening gates. Apparently she was good, except for the time someone suddenly appeared over the fence (climbing the fence) which made her startle and snort.

But in both cases she went right to work with no funny business, and you can't ask for more than that with a baby horse.
Attachments
IMG_2791.jpg
IMG_2791.jpg (13.67 KiB) Viewed 13492 times

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Sun Sep 06, 2020 1:14 am

Sounds like you have a great girl there, Kelo. Tesla lost it and had to move to a new stall when neighbors moved cows into the pasture next to the barn. Hope you are able to get out on the trails this fall.

18 rides on Tesla as of this morning. She had 2-3 rides where she was quite piggy and wanting to suck back, so instead of worrying about introducing canter just yet, I'm focused on just getting unquestioned forward reaction in walk and trot. This morning she was just a little stuck in the first trot, and then really got going nice and forward all around the big outdoor arena. A fellow boarder snapped a couple pics, and I'm happy to see that she is traveling as up and open as she felt. She offered a couple strides of canter, but I wasn't sure we were quite ready, but getting there. I was able to get the Albion AP saddle that I bought last winter modified to work for both of my girls, so I'm starting to ride her in that instead of a dressage saddle for the next several months. It's so funny, my stirrups felt so short, then I see the pics and they look quite long!

Keep calm and canter on.

Anne
Herd Member

Postby Anne » Sun Sep 06, 2020 4:25 am

Looking good Kelo and SF!! Working cows looks like fun (nothing like giving a horse some purpose to focus their minds). Tesla looks confident trotting out, and I love her ears in the 2nd pic.

Kelo
Herd Member

Postby Kelo » Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:15 pm

StraightForward, what lovely photos, Tesla looks wonderful!

Way to go on those first rides!

I used to love starting colts, but with this horse I learned that I have gotten old and I did not enjoy the process of sitting on a squirrely baby one bit, even if mine was relatively very gentle. I am really looking forward to when she's an old fart horse and I can be done starting colts! :lol: :lol:

exvet

Postby exvet » Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:23 pm

LOL, Kelo.........I'm older than you and I still love starting them as long as the have the 'right mind.' I got a 'pony ride' on Brandon yesterday. He's my 2017 model. He was so nonchalant about it. Once he gets better at steering I'll go solo.

Kelo
Herd Member

Postby Kelo » Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:03 pm

exvet wrote:LOL, Kelo.........I'm older than you and I still love starting them as long as the have the 'right mind.' I got a 'pony ride' on Brandon yesterday. He's my 2017 model. He was so nonchalant about it. Once he gets better at steering I'll go solo.

Guess I'll have to send any more I might have to you :lol: I started a lot of colts when I was younger, but then I have had the Cowpony for about 15 grownup years and I guess I got really used to him and to having a steady eddie and my resulting sloppy habits.

When I got this one -- she was completely untouched, not even halter broken -- I was like, hey, NBD, I have this. And she has been good through the process, she's not spooky or stupid, but she has lightning fast reflexes (a necessary trait in a cutting horse) and learns the first time, so suffice to say I had to really focus to make sure I was correct with my habits and cues.

I think next year she'll be a good, solid citizen and suffice to say I'm looking forward to that.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:40 pm

Kelo, I am with you. I don't think I'll do this again. I might buy another 2 year old in 5-6 years, but I'll probably do the ground work and then have someone else do the first few months of riding. I'm glad Tesla is big and slow. It's easier in a lot of ways.
Keep calm and canter on.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Fri Dec 04, 2020 3:18 pm

We are coming along slowly. Tesla hit a rough patch of growing roots and refusing to go forward along with a few rides where she reared, so I had to adjust my tactics and we seem to be slowly getting back on course. She does not appreciate being asked to go in our small indoor arena, and with winter closing in, that is a problem. However, I'm eking out a few more outdoor rides in the afternoon, and the stars aligned to finally test the canter yesterday. She has a huge, rolling canter, but she doesn't like it when I'm up/forward in a light seat, so riding that is going to be interesting until she starts to come together. However, she was very good and I'm hoping to try again today. Once we get weathered out of the outdoor arena, I'll have to make an effort to haul her out to a larger indoor once or twice a week if I want to have a 5 year old that is anywhere near training level in the spring.

I'm super happy with how she is growing into herself, and the feel she gives under saddle when she's focused and cooperating.
Keep calm and canter on.

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Fri Dec 04, 2020 4:00 pm

Maia has a big canter too, and wasn't fond of half seat. I think it put her even further off balance. I went with my least sticky knee patch britches, so my butt would slide :D

tlkidding
Herd Member

Postby tlkidding » Fri Dec 04, 2020 6:00 pm

StraightForward wrote:We are coming along slowly. Tesla hit a rough patch of growing roots and refusing to go forward along with a few rides where she reared, so I had to adjust my tactics and we seem to be slowly getting back on course. She does not appreciate being asked to go in our small indoor arena, and with winter closing in, that is a problem. However, I'm eking out a few more outdoor rides in the afternoon, and the stars aligned to finally test the canter yesterday. She has a huge, rolling canter, but she doesn't like it when I'm up/forward in a light seat, so riding that is going to be interesting until she starts to come together. However, she was very good and I'm hoping to try again today. Once we get weathered out of the outdoor arena, I'll have to make an effort to haul her out to a larger indoor once or twice a week if I want to have a 5 year old that is anywhere near training level in the spring.

I'm super happy with how she is growing into herself, and the feel she gives under saddle when she's focused and cooperating.

I've got a giant 2017 gelding that sounds a lot like Tesla.

I successfully backed him (which was the easiest thing ever), but when we'd try to go foward, he'd get stuck and then explode. Forward was not in his vocabulary, which was a new experience for me. My trainer said to get out of the roundpen and use the indoor so there was more room. We worked on it with me on him and someone lunging us, but ran into issues not wanting to go/turn right. I eventually put on my big girl pants and started riding him off the lunge line around the indoor, and if he got stuck, I'd hop off and work on forward on the lunge line. It took about 4 rides and one ride where I got off 3 times to lunge before he figured out forward.

I also found the same thing about a forward seat - he's super sensitive to me shifting my weight and if I tipped forward at all, he'd stop. I ended up sitting the trot for about a month so I could keep my weight really stable for him, and really have to work on keeping my shoulders back when we canter.

They learn so fast when they are young, which is amazing but also kind of scary. With only three 15-30 minute "rides" per week, we're making some great progress but I have to keep reminding myself to have small expectations and only address one thing at a time. He recently figured out how to grab the HS Duo bit with his molars on the left side and grind away, which is super distracting to both of us. The more we work on forward reaction from the leg and transitions, the less he does it; it's so hard to ignore though.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Fri Dec 04, 2020 7:23 pm

tlkidding wrote:They learn so fast when they are young, which is amazing but also kind of scary.

Totally. Sometimes I just let her sit for a week while I try to figure out what to do next because I don't want her learning the wrong thing. I've had to cultivate a kind of detached attitude and laugh when she offers trot and then goes "hey, wait a minute, why am I going arrggh, grind to a halt!"

I only rode her in the RP 3-4 times and then moved to the indoor, which is only 60'x120' and then to the outdoor around ride #10. Our outdoor is probably 100'x200' and she is much more willing to go forward out there, and knowing she came with the Whoah button pre-installed, it's not too risky.

Glad you are making progress with your boy as well!
Keep calm and canter on.

tlkidding
Herd Member

Postby tlkidding » Sat Dec 05, 2020 5:14 pm

StraightForward wrote:I only rode her in the RP 3-4 times and then moved to the indoor, which is only 60'x120' and then to the outdoor around ride #10. Our outdoor is probably 100'x200' and she is much more willing to go forward out there, and knowing she came with the Whoah button pre-installed, it's not too risky

Our outdoor isn't fenced, just railroad tides around the edges, so it took a while for me to be confident enough in our steering to ride out there. We still have problems turning right and going forward when that left shoulder starts drifting back towards the barn...

Good luck in your indoor this winter - that's pretty small. Ours is between small and large dressage arena length and about 20m wide, so it's big enough for a little work with the baby. However, that pesky left shoulder starts drifting towards other horses when trying to circle or turn right when we have company.

It's funny with the baby, I'd rather be alone in the indoor with fewer distractions and with my 17 year old spooky monster, I try to arrange to ride when others are riding in the indoor so we have company. Never thought I'd feel safer on the 3 year old riding alone.

exvet

Postby exvet » Sat Dec 05, 2020 6:14 pm

Brandon is a 2017 model with more whoa than go right now. We just started to 'discuss' trotting under saddle. I can get him to give me 6-7 strides now without trying to grind to a halt. He's pretty tolerant of leg and whip as well as just all out booting him at times. He's at that stage where it's all about balance and he does NOT like being out of balance; so, he give me a trot depart, kind of scares himself in a sense (weight on my back?) and only today relaxed enough and went with it for a more than a few strides. He slows down when he feels unstable; so, I'm doing my best to stay supportive and balanced in the saddle. Each day we get a bit more confident. I was going to use the neighbor's round pen but he's dealing with the request pretty well in my arena (which is between a small and large arena in length but is far wider than a dressage arena in size) and honestly with his lack of forward I think he needs the essence of 'wide open spaces'. He also really responds well to 'good boy'; so, I think in a few more rides we'll actually be trotting and trotting forward.

I have to laugh about the concerns regarding distractions though please don't get me wrong I'm all for setting oneself up for a win and staying safe. It seems like every time I get on Brandon the neighbor (reining trainer) has his leaf blower running, or snapping his whip lunging horses, etc, my dogs are barking and running the fence line, the neighbors on the other side, 5 and 8 year old little boys, are running, screaming, playing war, swinging from their tree house or bouncing on their trampoline, yelling "Hi". So far it's been a great set up for 'sacking any and all out." LOL.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Sat Dec 05, 2020 7:28 pm

exvet wrote:I have to laugh about the concerns regarding distractions though please don't get me wrong I'm all for setting oneself up for a win and staying safe. It seems like every time I get on Brandon the neighbor (reining trainer) has his leaf blower running, or snapping his whip lunging horses, etc, my dogs are barking and running the fence line, the neighbors on the other side, 5 and 8 year old little boys, are running, screaming, playing war, swinging from their tree house or bouncing on their trampoline, yelling "Hi". So far it's been a great set up for 'sacking any and all out." LOL.

Yeah, there is a group that frequently launches their motorized paragliders near our barn. It's all fine until they decide it might be fun to see if they can tickle their butts on the cornstalks in the field next door. :lol: https://www.southwestairsports.com/faqs ... gsetup.htm Recently it's been guys with a truck out building fence, and farm machinery plowing up the fallow fields, which make for good practice maintaining focus.

Yesterday after I'd finished with T and was riding A, a horse got loose and went bucking down the alley between the arena and horse pens. Someone said "aren't you glad you weren't on Tesla?" It actually hadn't occurred to me that it would have been a problem. Pretty sure she would have just stood and snorted. Canada geese taking off from the barn roof were the culprit when A dumped me this spring. :roll:
Keep calm and canter on.

tlkidding
Herd Member

Postby tlkidding » Mon Dec 07, 2020 2:39 pm

exvet wrote:I have to laugh about the concerns regarding distractions though please don't get me wrong I'm all for setting oneself up for a win and staying safe. It seems like every time I get on Brandon the neighbor (reining trainer) has his leaf blower running, or snapping his whip lunging horses, etc, my dogs are barking and running the fence line, the neighbors on the other side, 5 and 8 year old little boys, are running, screaming, playing war, swinging from their tree house or bouncing on their trampoline, yelling "Hi". So far it's been a great set up for 'sacking any and all out." LOL.

Sami is really good with "spooky" things but with distractions, his feet immediately slow down. If his little brain is overwhelmed trying to process, I try to finish what we are working on at a good forward moment and then let him putter to a walk and think about things. I got on him outside this summer while they were baling hay about a football field away one pasture over with the baler kicking into the hay wagon ever few seconds and then a hay wagon goes trundling up the rutted driveway behind a tractor on our other side. I felt like I never really got him forward and we skipped the canter that day, but we proved we could bobble around the small pasture with lots of distractions. It just seems like all forward motivation and a lot of his ability to maintain balance disappears when he's distracted.

Return to “Young Horse Forum and Breeding and Registries”