Lynx 2017 QH

Chisamba
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: Lynx 2017 QH

Postby Chisamba » Wed Nov 17, 2021 12:23 am

I think his gaits look much improved, and he is very balanced for a youngster. lots of positives. I also find riding in many different postures is useful for all levels is horse. I start with a warm up at near natural posture with focus on serpentine, large circles etc, within a ride I will try to spend 10 minutes or so in a level frame, ie poll.level with wither, i think the level posture helps with swinging through the back and loosening the sacral area through hips, 10.munutes or so uphill, depending on the fitness and skill level of the horse, up and out or up and round, this is loosely planned and I might incorporate lateral work at any of the positions.

so less than a minute of video is a very brief moment in the training of Lynx. I just felt I wanted to remind you that to strengthen a horse correctly do not forget to use the right muscles too.

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Wed Nov 17, 2021 1:11 am

Chisamba wrote:I think his gaits look much improved, and he is very balanced for a youngster. lots of positives. I also find riding in many different postures is useful for all levels is horse. I start with a warm up at near natural posture with focus on serpentine, large circles etc, within a ride I will try to spend 10 minutes or so in a level frame, ie poll.level with wither, i think the level posture helps with swinging through the back and loosening the sacral area through hips, 10.munutes or so uphill, depending on the fitness and skill level of the horse, up and out or up and round, this is loosely planned and I might incorporate lateral work at any of the positions.

so less than a minute of video is a very brief moment in the training of Lynx. I just felt I wanted to remind you that to strengthen a horse correctly do not forget to use the right muscles too.

It's a good reminder! We all know how widespread low and closed posture can be in Dressage or some circles anyways.

I've been kind of trying to figure out the best way to warm him up how much to ask for and when. It's ever changing of course too. I do try and do some stretchy trot, usually after we canter as he feels loose and natural then. Otherwise I think I have been mostly in the one posture I posted of myself, but he definitely plays around with it too. As long as he's balanced and not rooting, I kind of go with it.

I do think there is a bit of a thought of riding him lower will help his back but like you said, low and closed is more limiting. So probably sometimes low but more open (fdo) is more beneficial.

I will definitely keep this in mind tonight when I go ride. I'm going to hopefully get some video and if it isn't ridiculous looking I'll post it.

exvet

Postby exvet » Wed Nov 17, 2021 1:13 pm

It is most definitely ever changing and in many ways the pendulum is going to swing back and forth. Junior is now at a stage where he's strong enough for maintaining a decent degree of second level work. Because of the 'tension' comments I got on his tests (appropriate) I am now riding him more forward, long and low (within reason and not extreme but enough to get his withers up) in my warm up more so than before because prior he would just dump on the forehand......of course half halts help prevent that. As Chisamba pointed out developing the right muscles so that they become stronger and help with the appropriate balance and self-carriage must not be forgotten.....which is where I'm at in regards to Brandon. He fortunately is a more 'up and open type of guy, like Junior' but being younger and less developed (not as strong) he will occasionally try to curl or close which gets the response of more leg, a demi arret at the same time and then the reward is to give him a break. I'm fortunate in that I can really practice this on the trails because both of my guys really remain up and open on their own when trotting on the trails because they're always seeking 'what's over the hill'. I think this has benefitted both horses tons (plus it legs them up, so-to-speak).

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Wed Nov 17, 2021 1:50 pm

https://youtu.be/SBDx7SsM8y8 here is a snippet of last night's ride. Not really the best trip presentation because it was a video to send a Judge friend to get her feelings about us Intro. I'm working on doing less right now because it seems like I start doing my test (not in the video, too many poles out) and I start to override and get busy and it doesn't work good. So for this weekend my mission is to just worry about my own position and keep the energy and flow. Nothing more.

So I need to ask him more from behind. I always joke that I should have been a hunter because naturally I'm just happy to cruise around and of course those Lynx. But this is my videos good to get because now I can see that I always need to be asking for a little more than I think.

Anne
Herd Member

Postby Anne » Thu Nov 18, 2021 6:28 am

I like the way Lynx is going here much more than the previous video! Well done you. I scribe as much as I can, often for judges at the lower levels, and your beginning walk would probably get the comment 'needs more purpose'! I'm trying to achieve this with both my boys too, so I sympathise.

If I could pick one thing as a suggestion, it would be to bend your elbows and carry your hands a bit more.

Good luck for your tests this weekend!

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Thu Nov 18, 2021 2:18 pm

Anne, thank you! It's what I prefer too.

His walk is the toughest gait. He literally thinks walking should be the pace of a turtle. It's funny because he seems to like to canter and have a decent canter, but that walk is the biggest work in progress.

And yes my elbows are always my "thing." If I ever have any habit that seems to pop up again and again it's the straight elbows. It's pretty perplexing because to me I feel like they are bent and carried higher. So it's good to get video every once in a while and see that what I'm feeling and what's happening is I'm not the same thing. In the past I've used a resistance band around the wrist to help remind me and I think he is steady and safe enough that I can do that as part of my warm-up. It seems to really work.

Thank you!

demi

Postby demi » Fri Nov 19, 2021 6:12 pm

I think he looks great for where he is in his training. All the things the others have said, too. He will change as he builds strength, the clip was only a moment in time, and also it was at the end of his workout when he was tired.

Thanks for posting the vid. He (and you) are and will be an enjoyable journey to watch!

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Sat Nov 20, 2021 4:47 pm

LSP. do not think about straight or bent elbows. ask yourself why you " refuse" to carry your hands? the straight line from elbow to bit is a keystone ( one if THE most important habits that all else is supported by) in developing up hill. it's a keystone habit. the others are tempo and relaxation.

I like your video. I think his self carriage and relaxation is lovely. to progress I would.like to see you carry your hands and him have a more energetic tempo without losing the relaxation.

but don't change a bushel of things until after the show.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Sat Nov 20, 2021 4:48 pm

P.S. my definition of relaxation is the correct responsebto the correct aids

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Sun Nov 21, 2021 1:15 am

Chisamba I think part of is I'm in tense in my shoulders. Sometimes I practice just putting a whip behind my elbows. Just when I'm walking around not while I'm riding. I know that can cause some issues too but I do feel like it just really opens up my sternum area. In the past I've also used a resistance band while riding and I think Lynx is a good enough boy that I could safely do that at least to warm up.

The show was awesome. It was at our home barn which was lucky but of course there was a lot more people, tack sale booths, judge's booth and all that. He looked a tiny bit at first but barely. I just told him it was okay and he trusted me. He was almost a little too relaxed haha. But part of that was me too I didn't ask for a lot more because I just didn't know what we were going to have and I wanted to stay on the conservative side to be safe. But I will say we both felt relaxed which was a huge one I think for a first show!

I'm thinking for the next month we will kind of switch gears for a little. We are signed up to do a pile of poles class at the next home show which is hunter jumper schooling show. I think doing more pole work will be good. I also am planning on doing more riding out of the arena. I almost want to shelf a lot of the dressage for the month and just really focus on the forwardness and being on the aids. Which of course is so pivotal about dressage but I just mean focus so much on that in alight-hearted way.

We do have a dressage clinic in the middle of the month with Jessica Wisdom. I think that will be so extremely good for us though.

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:19 pm

https://youtu.be/jqGuKMO_HBM here is one test from our first little schooling show. Not perfect by any means but gosh I'm so proud of him. He's a little trooper.

I'm going to work really hard on my position this week. It's my weakest area (which is ironic because I truly have worked on position more than anything in my life.)

I'm bummed to say the clinic was cancelled. I was so looking forward to it. They will plan one later in the year though.

exvet

Postby exvet » Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:06 pm

Good job! Lynx looks so pleasant and fun. I would be thrilled if Brandon were so willing and obedient, LOL. I thought I shot some video yesterday of Brandon's ride; but, pivo didn't cooperate. He is doing much better but is a wee bit more opinionated than Lynx ;) Lynx appears to have more of the can do and sign up for anything asked demeanor that Junior has (until it gets to real work). You should be proud of him. I don't know of too many who are so well behaved at their first show. Congrats.

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:58 pm

exvet wrote:Good job! Lynx looks so pleasant and fun. I would be thrilled if Brandon were so willing and obedient, LOL. I thought I shot some video yesterday of Brandon's ride; but, pivo didn't cooperate. He is doing much better but is a wee bit more opinionated than Lynx ;) Lynx appears to have more of the can do and sign up for anything asked demeanor that Junior has (until it gets to real work). You should be proud of him. I don't know of too many who are so well behaved at their first show. Congrats.

Ha ha they say the opinionated ones are special though!! Lynx is so agreeable though. He also is smart but just not emotional about things. It's really fun especially with where I'm at right now. And my 10 year old daughter can lead him around and stuff..one day, I'm sure she will show him too ;)

Thank you!!

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:59 pm

exvet wrote:Good job! Lynx looks so pleasant and fun. I would be thrilled if Brandon were so willing and obedient, LOL. I thought I shot some video yesterday of Brandon's ride; but, pivo didn't cooperate. He is doing much better but is a wee bit more opinionated than Lynx ;) Lynx appears to have more of the can do and sign up for anything asked demeanor that Junior has (until it gets to real work). You should be proud of him. I don't know of too many who are so well behaved at their first show. Congrats.

Ha ha they say the opinionated ones are special though!! Lynx is so agreeable though. He also is smart but just not emotional about things. It's really fun especially with where I'm at right now. And my 10 year old daughter can lead him around and stuff..one day, I'm sure she will show him too ;)

Thank you!!

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Fri Nov 26, 2021 4:07 pm

https://youtu.be/3U-YAC_DSrs my husband trying to help me by pointing out my elbows. Have been thinking about what Chisamba said, why it's happening. It's going on in my shoulder. My left shoulder is really weak and hypermobile, pops and cracks constantly. So just lifting my hand and really having my shoulders back is hard on it. Not saying that it's impossible but it's slightly uncomfortable or at least different for me to do. I do think I'm going to need some physical therapy to move forward. Bugger.

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Fri Nov 26, 2021 4:09 pm

https://youtube.com/shorts/ioaVrhUPt-M?feature=share

There is a few moments towards the end of this clip that I really like. It looks like he really starts to carry himself for a few strides.

I'm riding with a shorter stirrup although I think I'll try lengthening them one whole this ride. With all this physical stuff I have going on I'm playing around with all kinds of things.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Fri Nov 26, 2021 5:04 pm

LS, something that helps me is to think more of keeping my elbow connected to my pelvis/low back. Really when you straighten your arm, you're putting more strain on your shoulders, whereas if your upper arm is more vertical, your triceps and lower back can take up more of the work.

Also, someone who looked at a recent video of me on Annabelle noted that although my torso was vertical, she had my weight going more down my front, and that I should think more of flowing my weight down through my spine. So the last couple rides I've been thinking of sort of a sand waterfall going back over my shoulder blades. Not sure how imagery works for you, but it does for me, and I think results in less muscular effort and tension than thinking more mechanically about what I'm trying to change.

Lynx looks really good. I watched his test video and he is quite a nice steady guy and will really bloom with a little more maturity in the next year or two!
Keep calm and canter on.

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Fri Nov 26, 2021 5:56 pm

Straightforward, good tips!! I'll think of that. Because trying to hard just seems to create more issues ha ha.
And thank you. I'm really excited to see how Lynx is going in a few years. He's good guy, tries really hard. And a pretty steady mount for sure.

Ponichiwa
500 post plus club

Postby Ponichiwa » Mon Nov 29, 2021 5:09 pm

LS88-- he's looking great! Congrats on the progress. I bet you're thrilled with him.

Return to “Young Horse Forum and Breeding and Registries”