No one has ventured here yet?

Chancellor
Site Admin

No one has ventured here yet?

Postby Chancellor » Sun Oct 11, 2015 3:03 pm

Don't worry. The political forum is a place to engage in discourse. You don't have to be right-leaning to engage here!

M&M
Herd Member

Re: No one has ventured here yet?

Postby M&M » Sun Oct 11, 2015 5:09 pm

Here it is. Probably my one and only political forum post! C'mon everybody - there's plenty to talk about!

Tuffytown
Herd Member

Postby Tuffytown » Sun Oct 11, 2015 6:18 pm

Who will be the new Speaker of the house?

Is the truth coming out that the relentless Benghazi hearings are totally politically motivated to damage Hillary? How about the new whistleblower?

boots-aregard
Herd Member

Postby boots-aregard » Sun Oct 11, 2015 7:49 pm

It's gonna take a few days. People are still saying goodbye over there.

Tuffytown
Herd Member

Postby Tuffytown » Sun Oct 11, 2015 7:51 pm

Like my family, the goodbyes are hours long and endless.

Spiritpaws
Novice

Postby Spiritpaws » Sun Oct 11, 2015 8:03 pm

The decor is lovely: I especially appreciate the dark walnut paneling, Chancellor, and the tasteful chintz. Nice to see recent copies of Mother Jones on the coffee table :-)

Chancellor
Site Admin

Postby Chancellor » Sun Oct 11, 2015 9:50 pm

How 'bout that Donald Trump? I don't know why ANYONE would vote for him....and I am right leaning!!

Chisamba
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby Chisamba » Sun Oct 11, 2015 10:35 pm

Hi, i popped in, but for the most part unless very bored, or the topic is very interesting, i stay away from the politics. because often people i like disagree with me, and i prefer to remain friends, :)

PaulaO
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby PaulaO » Mon Oct 12, 2015 12:23 am

Chancellor wrote:How 'bout that Donald Trump? I don't know why ANYONE would vote for him....and I am right leaning!!

Wish I could find it, but my favorite cartoon lately is a Republican Elephant with a mop of hair wearing a sign "We shall overcomb."

This is probably the only post I will ever make in this forum!

outsiderein
Greenie

Postby outsiderein » Mon Oct 12, 2015 1:02 am

You all won't believe I'm saying this, but I think some of Donald Trumps ideas have merit. I don't think we need his cocky self in the White House, but he may well start some conversations that are really needed. In the beginning he was clearly showboating, but his "campaign" is gaining in substance. One thing I don't understand is why anyone thinks it is appropriate to start a political career by running for POTUS. That is just nuts.

BlueMayPop
Greenie

Postby BlueMayPop » Mon Oct 12, 2015 1:53 am

Chancellor wrote:Don't worry. The political forum is a place to engage in discourse. You don't have to be right-leaning to engage here!

I seem to recall that you were one of the most vocal members of UDBB saying you wanted no political forum. And now you're an admin of one? That's pretty weird . . .

Ryans Friend
Greenie

Postby Ryans Friend » Mon Oct 12, 2015 5:45 am

Spiritpaws wrote:The decor is lovely: I especially appreciate the dark walnut paneling, Chancellor, and the tasteful chintz. Nice to see recent copies of Mother Jones on the coffee table :-)

looking for the "like" button!!!

Spiritpaws
Novice

Postby Spiritpaws » Mon Oct 12, 2015 12:12 pm

::Spiritpaws flashes a peace sign to 6c (hereby known as the australian foreign correspondent) and admires 6C's chartreuse Jimmy Choos and the koala bear sitting on her head. Wanting to have at least some semblance of 'belonging', Spiritpaws takes a cricket out of her pocket and places it on her shoulder...::

outsiderein
Greenie

Postby outsiderein » Mon Oct 12, 2015 4:54 pm

BlueMayPop wrote:
Chancellor wrote:Don't worry. The political forum is a place to engage in discourse. You don't have to be right-leaning to engage here!

I seem to recall that you were one of the most vocal members of UDBB saying you wanted no political forum. And now you're an admin of one? That's pretty weird . . .

Hey, let's be grateful for Chancellor's generosity.

Tuffytown
Herd Member

Postby Tuffytown » Mon Oct 12, 2015 5:20 pm

While I don't necessarily agree with some of Trumps plans I do think he has made some pretty factual and surprising statements that one would not expect from a conservative. His admissions of the influence of money and that the Middle east would probably still be stable were it not for the disastrous venture into Iraq ( and libya ).

carpevita
Herd Member

Postby carpevita » Tue Oct 13, 2015 1:50 pm

Gotta agree that trump is making way more sense than I thought he might.
Don't think he has what it takes to be potus, but maybe some of his ideas might make the cut.

Chancellor
Site Admin

Postby Chancellor » Tue Oct 13, 2015 3:25 pm

BlueMayPop wrote:

I believe that you are incorrectly recalling. I don't recall EVER saying no political forum and I was certainly not one of the most vocal members.

And Julia Dolan Green (BlueMayPop), please do not come here and make trouble. You are on a very short leash.

boots-aregard
Herd Member

Postby boots-aregard » Tue Oct 13, 2015 3:42 pm

outsiderein wrote:You all won't believe I'm saying this, but I think some of Donald Trumps ideas have merit.

"Even a broken clock is right twice a day".

I don't think we need his cocky self in the White House, but he may well start some conversations that are really needed.

Agree with this (about his cocky self). I'm just glad he's spending money, although he gets so much free press, he's not spending THAT much money.

I'm still waiting for November before really gearing up to discuss politics.

outsiderein
Greenie

Postby outsiderein » Tue Oct 13, 2015 4:24 pm

Boots, from my very sketchy memory of his interview on 60 Minutes:
1) closing the loopholes for business owners who send manufacturing jobs overseas or hide money overseas to avoid taxes.
2) universal health care
3) charging other countries for the cost of military services that we currently provide for free
4) simplified, progressive tax policy
5) investing in education and infrastructure

There may have been more. I was really shocked. I might not agree with his approach for some of these, and they may not be easy to implement, but I do agree with the basic premise. And I even think his crazy border fence idea has some merit. Because although I don't agree with him at all that Mexico is "sending us" murders and rapists and drug dealers, and from a humanitarian standpoint I don't want to see the borders closed, having controls on immigration is very important. And I think a lot of the policies he talked about would not be helpful to him or the other 1%-ers, but would be good for the country. So maybe there is some substance under that awful toupe'. And these ideas seem to be unique amongst the Republican candidates. It looks to me like he is willing to play economic hardball with his peers, and that might not be such a bad thing for the rest of us.

boots-aregard
Herd Member

Postby boots-aregard » Wed Oct 14, 2015 12:21 am

outsiderein wrote:Boots, from my very sketchy memory of his interview on 60 Minutes:
1) closing the loopholes for business owners who send manufacturing jobs overseas or hide money overseas to avoid taxes.
2) universal health care
3) charging other countries for the cost of military services that we currently provide for free
4) simplified, progressive tax policy
5) investing in education and infrastructure

There may have been more. I was really shocked. I might not agree with his approach for some of these, and they may not be easy to implement, but I do agree with the basic premise. And I even think his crazy border fence idea has some merit. Because although I don't agree with him at all that Mexico is "sending us" murders and rapists and drug dealers, and from a humanitarian standpoint I don't want to see the borders closed, having controls on immigration is very important. And I think a lot of the policies he talked about would not be helpful to him or the other 1%-ers, but would be good for the country. So maybe there is some substance under that awful toupe'. And these ideas seem to be unique amongst the Republican candidates. It looks to me like he is willing to play economic hardball with his peers, and that might not be such a bad thing for the rest of us.

Yeah, except a huge part of the presidency is foreign policy. (Some would say, the BIGGEST part of the presidency.) How do you think his cocky self would go over in that realm?

clanter
Herd Member

Postby clanter » Wed Oct 14, 2015 2:57 am

carpevita wrote:Gotta agree that trump is making way more sense than I thought he might.
Don't think he has what it takes to be potus, but maybe some of his ideas might make the cut.

If Jimmy Carter can win, anyone has a chance

outsiderein
Greenie

Postby outsiderein » Wed Oct 14, 2015 3:41 am

boots-aregard wrote:Yeah, except a huge part of the presidency is foreign policy. (Some would say, the BIGGEST part of the presidency.) How do you think his cocky self would go over in that realm?

Really, really badly. Don't get me wrong, I do NOT think he would be a good president. I am shocked that I agree with him on ANY issue, and I don't trust egomaniacs. But if he forces other candidates to talk about these issues it will help the American public to be better informed. It's too bad that Bernie isn't getting the airtime that the Donald is.

outsiderein
Greenie

Postby outsiderein » Wed Oct 14, 2015 3:48 am

clanter wrote:If Jimmy Carter can win, anyone has a chance

Yeah, Nixon et.al. pretty much ruined that election for the Republicans, didn't they?

BlueMayPop
Greenie

Postby BlueMayPop » Wed Oct 14, 2015 5:22 am

Chancellor wrote:
BlueMayPop wrote:

I believe that you are incorrectly recalling. I don't recall EVER saying no political forum and I was certainly not one of the most vocal members.

And Julia Dolan Green (BlueMayPop), please do not come here and make trouble. You are on a very short leash.

Threats, is it? You absolutely were very vocal in your dislike of the PF, and often argued against having one. Your memory is not so good.

Chancellor
Site Admin

Postby Chancellor » Wed Oct 14, 2015 9:20 am

Julia, I am not here to argue with you. I did not argue against the political forum in UDBB. I am happy to provide a place for people to discuss politics.
If you want to add to this forum, you are welcome to do so. However, posts like the two here are not adding to the forum and are therefore NOT welcome here. Either add to the forum without being argumentative to me or leave the board.

Red Barn
Greenie

Postby Red Barn » Wed Oct 14, 2015 11:39 pm

Well, I'm certainly glad there's a political forum.

And hoping I won't be the only Marxist this time around.

;)

Zonderpaard
Greenie

Postby Zonderpaard » Mon Oct 19, 2015 6:50 pm

Post #1

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”