Justin Trudeau is adorable

stella
Novice

Justin Trudeau is adorable

Postby stella » Sun Nov 06, 2016 3:04 am

I'm seriously. I'm all SQUEE every time he comes across my fb feed. And he's a liberal progressive for the people kind of guy. What's not to love?

https://www.facebook.com/JustinPJTrudea ... ED&fref=nf

Chisamba
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: Justin Trudeau is adorable

Postby Chisamba » Sun Nov 06, 2016 12:34 pm

If you are superficial about looks and elitism, hes your guy.

stella
Novice

Postby stella » Sun Nov 06, 2016 1:28 pm

I also LOVE the way he supports all people and religions, welcomes refugees, and placed people from all cultures in his administration, so he has a real reflection of the Canadian people. How is this elitism? And he's adorable. Almost as good looking as President Obama.

calvin
Herd Member

Postby calvin » Mon Nov 07, 2016 3:54 pm

I think that looks and charisma and an elite background are neither qualifiers nor disqualifiers for political office. We look to politicians for leadership, for energy, for hope. Empathy would be nice, too. Integrity is essential. Those qualities can be found in people from many, many different backgrounds. President Obama was and remains incredibly popular with many Canadians because he is inspiring as a person. So is Michelle Obama. Justin Trudeau arrived at a time in our political cycle when people were looking for hope and inspiration in the face of poor economic prospects, fiscal restraint, and lack of opportunity, particularly for the young, the marginalized, and people of minority races, genders and cultures. The fact that Justin Trudeau comes from a highly privileged background means that he has to work very, very hard to prove himself in his first years in office. He has a young family. Politics mean that a great deal of family time will be sacrificed for work. There is much which is not glamorous about politics. We are, I think, lucky when people of different backgrounds are prepared to put themselves "out there" and offer their service to the public, knowing that words, actions and deeds will be examined, second-guessed, criticized, mocked .... and the list goes on .... as we really cannot know all of the considerations which must go into making decisions in a political environment. So, I shall respectfully disagree that being a member of the elite is a disqualifier. It is the character, ability, political smarts, and integrity of an individual which matters. No individual can simply wave a wand and "get things done" in the political process, but a person with good people skills and vision can hopefully nudge society ahead, and inspire us to better.

Tabby
Herd Member

Postby Tabby » Mon Nov 07, 2016 3:58 pm

About 4 or 5 years ago (long before he was PM), the Liberal Party held some kind of fund raiser in my mom's town. Her town is a Conservative stronghold so it was extremely rare to have the libs do anything there. Anyway, Mom and her posse of senior widowed ladies actually joined the liberal party so they could attend the luncheon and see him in person. They had their photos taken with him. That photo of Mom and Justin took the place of honour in her living room - displacing the grandchildren photos. It was there for years until she moved. She was absolutely smitten with him. I still don't think she voted for him, though.

KathyK

Postby KathyK » Thu Nov 17, 2016 5:39 pm

Chisamba wrote:If you are superficial about looks and elitism, hes your guy.

Why do you associate him with elitism? Coming from a background of privilege does not automatically make one an elitist.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Thu Nov 17, 2016 11:57 pm

KathyK wrote:
Chisamba wrote:If you are superficial about looks and elitism, hes your guy.

Why do you associate him with elitism? Coming from a background of privilege does not automatically make one an elitist.

I watched a video of him making a scathing put down on Albertan farm workers,it was my first think i saw of him, lol. I was a bit surprised so i researched, having thought, from the media, to be honest that he was a well liked person who stood for the common man.

I am generally not all that interested in the politics of other countries, but I found a lot of "one percenter" attitude/accusations. i could not really find what he stands for, but i could certainly see that he looks good doing nothing ( wink) . I did not spend too much more time looking into it, so my flip comment could possibly be unfair.

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”