Russian involvement in the election

boots-aregard
Herd Member

Russian involvement in the election

Postby boots-aregard » Sun Dec 11, 2016 4:38 pm

Surely we can discuss this without too much finger pointing? I'm still trying to sift through the information that is coming out. Anybody want to recommend good sources for info?

piedmontfields
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: Russian involvement in the election

Postby piedmontfields » Sun Dec 11, 2016 10:19 pm

"Good sources". I'm assuming you mean in a truth-y, evidence-based source as opposed to a post-truth, make me feel what I already feel source?!

(Sorry--these are interesting times.)

For my daily reads on political reality, I like:

nytimes.com
washingtonpost.com
wsj.com (generally must subscribe)
the hill.com (insider DC news)
politico.com and politico.eu
bbc.com

stella
Novice

Postby stella » Sun Dec 11, 2016 10:32 pm

I hope it's true. I can not imagine living in the backwardsland that will be a nation under Drumpf. I hope that there is a full investigation and inauguration is delayed.

Literiding
Herd Member

Postby Literiding » Sun Dec 11, 2016 10:33 pm

There will not be any good sources, at least sources with actual access to the investigation, for that kind of information. Back in the early '90s, I was an "Assistant Chief of Staff for Communications" for a three star admiral stationed in the Middle East and had the "Top Secret" clearance and was "read into" several compartments. As a general rule, spying stuff is very, very sensitive and is closely protected and distribution is strictly on a "need to know" basis. Counter-spying stuff wasn't even allowed outside it's compartment unless there was something that involved law enforcement. The general public will be unlikely to learn anything that comes of the investigation except maybe the Russian were involved maybe, yes, or no.

If they were involved, a lot depends on exactly what they did, considering the amount of what is now called "fake news" was generated by both sides and various other extraneous sources, it will be tough to point definitive fingers at anyone.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Mon Dec 12, 2016 12:24 pm

The sources I read did not include any actual tampering, but speculation about timing of release of wikileaks information.

My understanding may be incorrect, but actual voter tampering is not possible because the boxes are not linked to anyrhing. Oh i know the media wants to imply that air gapped ( not connected) electronic devices can be hacked, but they are too numerous and not linked. Each state had a different combination of systems.

Basically it's easier to hack a more sophisticated linked system that a disparate one.

I read quite a lot of information on both press. It us clearly based on speculation.

I am so tired of click bait like headlines that do not meaningfully reflect content, followed by one detail and reams of speculation.

Do not trust the media

boots-aregard
Herd Member

Postby boots-aregard » Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:34 pm

I got DH a New York Times subscription which should begin arriving (Gotta support the good guys), but if what Literiding says is true, there won't be much useful there for a good while.

Gad, what an election...

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Tue Dec 13, 2016 12:09 pm

So, again, it turns out the extent of the CIA accusations regardinf Russia are fake news timed to coincide with key points of the election...
As if the US media never give fake or biased news.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Tue Dec 13, 2016 1:03 pm

Just for example, you can find five or six headlines from different media saying " trump not impressed with Army - Navy game, Trump throws shade at Army - Navy game.

what did he actually say? "I don't know if it's necessarily the best football, but it's very good. But boy, do they have spirit more than anybody. It's beautiful,"

So the press rely on people reading only the headline, and walking away with that impression, or they rely on people accepting their preconceived opinion from the headline.

Now does anyone think that the Army and Navy give top tier football? Anyone? a good game with the best spirit, how is that throwing shade? I used this as an example because it is something that does not really matter, so it should not raise too many hackles, simply demonstrate how Media attempts to A) be persuasive in their reporting and influence opinion, and B) write a click baiting headline that will generate income.

So the american media tried its hardest to control the results of the election, they were shocked, I mean shocked, when they realized that they got it wrong. Press stood up and said, we did not do enough. Press personalities flat out hit the news, social media et al to attempt to control the election. but oh, the CIA is offended because the Russians released media in an attempt to influence the election??

It is common knowledge that Julian Assange, is not a fan of the Clintons. Yes it is reported, and he has admitted is aligned with the Russian position. Yes he openly said he was going to use Wikileaks to release information at times that it would most damage the election. I do not think it took the spy force of the CIA to discover that, do you?

Ponichiwa
500 post plus club

Postby Ponichiwa » Tue Dec 13, 2016 1:44 pm

I hate clickbait, but it's on an entirely different level than fake news. Fake news includes things like:
- Podesta and HRC were running a child sex/slavery ring out of DC area pizza chains. See this Pizzagate summary for more details.

- The Clintons have murdered (or contracted to have murdered) an ever-growing list of anti-Clinton people. I'm not linking because I don't want these sites to get more clicks, but you can google "clinton body count" and you'll at least get a Snopes rebuttal.

- HRC is dying of various maladies (see Breitbart, thepoliticalinsider, thehill). Meanwhile Trump's health is "astonishingly excellent".

That's not the same level of transgression as a misleading headline (and I do agree with you that the Army/Navy game headlines are misleading). Yes, bias is real and it's a problem, but worse in my eyes are things like the above.

Literiding
Herd Member

Postby Literiding » Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:29 pm

Bashar al-Assad

Syrian Arab Republic

I haven't seen this anywhere in the press, but the CIA has been trying to overthrow the President of the "Syrian Arab Republic," Bashar al-Assad, who has been and is backed by Russia, since before 2012:

http://www.csmonitor.com/World/Security ... -beginning

Given that all the CIA has managed to accomplish is causing a major humanitarian crises in Syria, it isn't too surprising they see a Russian behind every tree in the U.S. election.

Koolkat
500 post plus club

Postby Koolkat » Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:12 pm

The point is that the released Wikileak information was obtained from Russian HACKING of the DNC (they also hacked the RNC). The information was given to Wikileaks who subsequently released it as a function of the election timeline. The information came from Russian hacking and was selectively leaked both in terms of timing and source of information.

What's not to like? LOL.

awa
Novice

Postby awa » Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:24 pm

The New York TImes did a pretty comprehensive article yesterday:
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/13/us/po ... .html?_r=0

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”