Is American media doing the same thing?

Tabby
Herd Member

Is American media doing the same thing?

Postby Tabby » Wed Dec 21, 2016 1:55 am

Canadian media just can't leave Trump alone these days. They seem particularly hell bent on trashing him. I understand in a sense - he says so many things that are bash worthy. But I'm just getting sick of it. They are trying to scare up people but most people are already a little scared. Now it's getting ridiculous. He's been elected and he's going to do what he's going to do and that's the end of that. There's a bunch of scary stuff going on in the world these days but Trump gets the headlines day after day. He hasn't even taken office yet. And it's almost always bad. I'm actually starting to sympathize with Trump supporters. They are absolutely right about the media. Is it just here in Canada or are Americans experiencing the same thing?

piedmontfields
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: Is American media doing the same thing?

Postby piedmontfields » Wed Dec 21, 2016 3:46 pm

Tabby wrote:Canadian media just can't leave Trump alone these days...He's been elected and he's going to do what he's going to do and that's the end of that.

IMO, in a democracy with a free press "it's not the end of that." It wasn't for Obama, and it won't be for Trump.

Frankly, I think it's a very good thing for the press to be highly engaged--and it is good for democracy to have a lively, free press. I would like press coverage to be even more assertive, but Trump is proving to be very difficult to cover, except on his terms. Obama was heavily criticized by US press for being less accessible than prior presidents, but I think Trump et al will out-do him.

For those who are XM radio subscribers, I highly recommend "The Press Pool", hosted by Julie Mason. It offers great insight into how US media works and the challenges they face covering politicians and especially presidents.

WheresMyWhite
500 post plus club

Postby WheresMyWhite » Wed Dec 21, 2016 4:54 pm

While I would fundamentally agree that having a "free press" is a good thing, I'd much happier with a press who's objective was unbiasedly reporting news and not, IMO, sensationalizing "news" to get people to read their outlet which then helps sell advertising. Same as you see "instant" reporting on a current event without sufficient fact checking because the first to publish wins while the more cautious but perhaps more accurate and truthful are late to the game.

I know advertising is required but IMO sometimes the slant and style of "news" reporting is a bit over the top.

I find many times I don't read news stories anymore because I just don't trust what is said.

Tabby
Herd Member

Postby Tabby » Thu Dec 22, 2016 12:11 am

I think that's what's annoying me the most - the sensationalization of it all. Donald Trump likes to run his mouth and post his tweets about anything and everything and the press is there just eating it all up. When there's a break in the tweets, they're writing about this group or that group that feels frightened/scared/worried/discriminated against or whatever based on something Trump or his supporters said. I don't recall ever reading so much crap about what someone said before - and I work in the city that had Rob Ford for mayor!!! The media has totally lost their way and it's come to where I don't even want to look at it for local events anymore. Maybe it's my age but becoming a hermit doesn't seem such a bad idea anymore. I didn't like the idea of Trump as prez either but that's the way it is so it's time to accept it and move on. The world doesn't have to end every day and night over it.

WheresMyWhite
500 post plus club

Postby WheresMyWhite » Thu Dec 22, 2016 1:41 am

Tabby, I know we don't always agree but being a hermit sounds like a plan to me :)

I'm with you.... didn't vote for him, didn't like him, don't think he's the right man for the job but I'm over it... it will be what it will be and all the snarky, distasteful reporting won't make him any better (or worse).

piedmontfields
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby piedmontfields » Thu Dec 22, 2016 2:54 pm

I will comment that in today's US pop culture, what often gets called "snarky" is actually just critique IMO. I don't know if it is the same trend in Canada. I think in general in US discourse we are unskilled at critical exchange and dialogue.

The shift of media control to a few multi-national players (with a focus on profit as well as certain message) has totally transformed journalism. A few outlets still hang out to some amount of principles and integrity, but overall I agree that media outlets produce less "news and analysis" and more sensation---because it sells (and IMO we are rather stupid consumers of such!). Even really outstanding journalists are paid/promoted based on their articles' "click rates." It is disturbing and does distort our news. WmyW, I don't think that means that one should give up on media but it is certainly on us as readers/viewers/consumers to interrogate, question and examine our sources, their methods, and presented evidence.

boots-aregard
Herd Member

Postby boots-aregard » Sat Dec 24, 2016 2:00 am

Everything is brinksmanship these days. It's impossible to figure out anymore and frankly, it has led (in me) to a sense of apathy and will have that effect on others, probably at a time when we need to remain alert!

I get these fund raising messages today about "Only 2 more days until the deadline!" "Last Chance!" "Bla bla !!!!" And the election is *over*, people. Their artificial deadlines and petitions and lists of signatures from everybody and his brother -- exhausting and what's the real utility?

Trumps' insanity and the media coverage is just more of the same. He isn't even president yet.

Tarlo Farm
500 post plus club

Postby Tarlo Farm » Sat Dec 24, 2016 4:52 pm

There is a ground-swell of progressive Dems going to organize in the manner of the Tea Party, copying some of their strategies to change the direction of government after this past election.

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”