Jan 21 Women's March

Chisamba
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: Jan 21 Women's March

Postby Chisamba » Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:49 pm

Tuffytown wrote:Have you seen the pussy hats? I don't think they are what you think they are. A bit of double entendre to the name.

Oh tbey were definitely what i thought theyvwere and worse.

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:58 pm

Chisamba wrote:
Tuffytown wrote:Have you seen the pussy hats? I don't think they are what you think they are. A bit of double entendre to the name.

Pink cat ears are bad? No cats were harmed.

boots-aregard
Herd Member

Postby boots-aregard » Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:39 pm

boots-aregard wrote:
musical comedy wrote:Of course, nowadays, we can't be sure anything we read or see is accurate. I think though that there is enough evidence out there that Soros money is behind some of the demonstrations. I never said nor insinuated that anyone was 'manipulated' ( :roll: Tuffy) into marching. All these marches had to be organized by someone. Yours aregard was small as probably were many others. The big one in Washington didn't come together without some organizers. To dismiss that Soros is involved in the anti-Trump stuff is rather naive.

I dunno. Having ACTUALLY been involved in the organization of the marches in the bay area, where fundraising was a *real issue* and knowing many of the local donors, I happen to think that leaping on the Conspiracy! bandwagon is rather naive.

as for "Yours aregard was small as probably were many others. " I'll point out that when I talk about the financing, I'm talking about the financing of the three Bay Area marches. At estimates from 225,000 to 300,000 people, I don't think "small" is the right adjective. Maybe Soros isn't fond of Californians and that might explain his absence.

boots-aregard
Herd Member

Postby boots-aregard » Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:42 pm

Chisamba wrote:

You've got to be kidding. They've been around for decades/centuries, and in any other color are called "knit caps" or "headwarmers". The lengths, I swear to god, the lengths....

musical comedy

Postby musical comedy » Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:10 am

boots-aregard wrote: At estimates from 225,000 to 300,000 people, I don't think "small" is the right adjective. Maybe Soros isn't fond of Californians and that might explain his absence.
Who were the organizers of the California marches at the grass roots. Names, so that I can follow their contacts.

boots-aregard
Herd Member

Postby boots-aregard » Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:27 am

Huh. So, some random (critical) person on the internet demands to know the names of the organizers of the marches in the Bay Area, so she can play policeman?

Firstly, I will say if you were *there*, you would know. If you did the *work* you would know.

Secondly, I will say that the names are undoubtedly public. We filed for a 501(c)(3) status, and that's discoverable information. Plus there were several pieces of PR that featured the organizers for all three of the marches. But I'm not about to do your homework for you because

Thirdly, I don't figure it's up to me to name them for the benefit of a person on a bulletin board with which they have no affiliation. I am not in the least bit concerned that you may then conclude (and possibly bray it publicly) that I must not be giving actual facts (as opposed to alternative facts ;) ) in refusing to do so. My credit is whatever my credit is. And yours is yours.

You have no rights whatsoever to demand names of women who are working hard on behalf of other women so that you may "follow their contacts".

[Chancellor edited to remove the personal attack.]

goldhorse
Herd Member

Postby goldhorse » Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:28 am

Boots, I want to kiss you

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Wed Jan 25, 2017 2:37 am

Boots is correct. All of this is easily known if you do your HW.

There are organizers in Atlanta, Nashville, Knoxville, Raleigh, Richmond, etc, etc.

Get to it if you want to get to it.

Briarwood
Novice

Postby Briarwood » Wed Jan 25, 2017 6:10 am

Kudos to Boots!

The closest march to me was 1 hour away. We had approx. 200 people and for this part of Illinois (Western IL, tri-state area; IL, IA, MO) I was surprised and pleased that we had that many. But every one counts!

Tuffytown
Herd Member

Postby Tuffytown » Wed Jan 25, 2017 7:34 am

This is so disgusting and shameful
Attachments
pussyhat.jpg
pussyhat.jpg (7.04 KiB) Viewed 26606 times

boots-aregard
Herd Member

Postby boots-aregard » Wed Jan 25, 2017 5:42 pm

Briarwood wrote:Kudos to Boots!

The closest march to me was 1 hour away. We had approx. 200 people and for this part of Illinois (Western IL, tri-state area; IL, IA, MO) I was surprised and pleased that we had that many. But every one counts!

Did you see some of the pictures from the tiny marches? They were so sweet and funny.

One town of 63 in Idaho had 30+ marchers -- in the snow!
A research vessel in the Antarctic sent in a photo of all their people holding signs on the stern of the ship.
Today I saw one of a couple nurses and a couple patients in a hospital. They couldn't join the real march outside, so they marched in the hall.
I'm so glad for the solidarity.

Tarlo Farm
500 post plus club

Postby Tarlo Farm » Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:21 pm

I couldn't get away for the DC one, but several friends and I went to Lansing MI, and more of us are going to Holland MI tomorrow, home of Devos, to protest her upcoming hearing for Secretary of Ed.

Tarlo Farm
500 post plus club

Postby Tarlo Farm » Sat Jan 28, 2017 2:01 pm

Tuffytown wrote:This is so disgusting and shameful

I was asking a friend to make one for me, but told her I didn't like the really bright, bright pink and maybe she could use a more subdued pink, maybe even put some grey in it. I said, "I don't know, grey or something..."

And she said, "Grey. All pussys our age have a little grey in them!" :lol:

I about fell off the couch laughing.

A little town south of me with a year-round population of 800 had two women march at the "Welcome..." sign. And a dozen ride buses 15 hours one way to get to DC.

Chancellor
Site Admin

Postby Chancellor » Sat Jan 28, 2017 2:30 pm

Tuffytown wrote:This is so disgusting and shameful

Actually, I rather agree with Chisamba. Why call them pussy hats? I find that vulgar because of the double entendre. And you KNOW that the double entendre was deliberate

WheresMyWhite
500 post plus club

Postby WheresMyWhite » Sat Jan 28, 2017 2:54 pm

Whew, glad that I am not the only one offended by the name 'pussy hat'...

boots-aregard
Herd Member

Postby boots-aregard » Sat Jan 28, 2017 3:49 pm

I'm going to remember this when someone dusts of "special snowflake" for some reason or other.

Tuffytown
Herd Member

Postby Tuffytown » Sat Jan 28, 2017 4:56 pm

Remember who initiated the use of the word and normalized it as acceptable in the public and political realm. Because many chose to embrace it much like many trump supporters chose to embrace the term deplorable being bad doesn't wash for me. Yeah, hypocritical snowflakes.

Briarwood
Novice

Postby Briarwood » Sat Jan 28, 2017 5:06 pm

"Remember who initiated the use of the word and normalized it as acceptable in the public and political realm."
Exactly.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Sat Jan 28, 2017 7:32 pm

I'm next to the Washington Monument right now looking at this crap that hasn't been cleaned up and hasn't been placed for a particular reason. Just wondering if the people who left this from the anti abortion demonstration yesterday are also trash.
Attachments
IMG_20170128_142748.jpg
IMG_20170128_142748.jpg (75.68 KiB) Viewed 26519 times
Keep calm and canter on.

Tarlo Farm
500 post plus club

Postby Tarlo Farm » Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:29 pm

Chancellor wrote:
Actually, I rather agree with Chisamba. Why call them pussy hats? I find that vulgar because of the double entendre. And you KNOW that the double entendre was deliberate

Of course it was! And it's very interesting to see the people who supported trumplestiltskin and therefore his use of the word "pussy" while talking of committing sexual assault.

No money has come the way of anyone I know organizing and/or participating. I'm sure they'd like some.

Regarding the trash: http://www.snopes.com/2017/01/22/womens ... ped-signs/

WheresMyWhite
500 post plus club

Postby WheresMyWhite » Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:40 am

Sitting here scratching my head. I must be under a bigger cabbage leaf than I though as I have no clue what is being alluded to here.

All I know is I didn't vote for him and I didn't support him and I still don't like the name...

musical comedy

Postby musical comedy » Sun Jan 29, 2017 2:03 am

WheresMyWhite wrote:Sitting here scratching my head. I must be under a bigger cabbage leaf than I though as I have no clue what is being alluded to here.

All I know is I didn't vote for him and I didn't support him and I still don't like the name...
My bold. I'll take a guess. If anyone objects to the hats or the march, then they must be for Trump. Generally speaking, that is true. However, there are those, like you WMW, that did not support him, but still may not be in favor of the hats or other things from the left.

I don't have a problem with the hats or the word pussy. I wouldn't use the word nor would I wear the silly hat, but if others do I don't care.

As far as the money, the Women's March website lists their sponsors. Planned Parenthood and Moveon.org were among them.
https://www.womensmarch.com/sponsors/
Soros contributes bigly to those two sources. Can I prove it? No. But I think there is enough evidence that he has and does support the radical left.

The litter thing: I wasn't there so I can't say who littered the most. StraightForward would have to produce more than a few signs on the ground for me to believe the Right to Life March littered more than the Women's March. With the wind, litter can fly out of trash cans. And yes, there are probably some unsavory (or trash if you choose) characters marching for Life too.

galopp
Herd Member

Postby galopp » Sun Jan 29, 2017 3:02 am

There was another march yesterday....the pro-life group.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:26 pm

musical comedy wrote:The litter thing: I wasn't there so I can't say who littered the most. StraightForward would have to produce more than a few signs on the ground for me to believe the Right to Life March littered more than the Women's March. With the wind, litter can fly out of trash cans. And yes, there are probably some unsavory (or trash if you choose) characters marching for Life too.

I walked the mall the day after the women's march as well ( earlier in the day too) and didn't see signs on the ground except where they had been placed in a specific area near the White House. I was just reacting to.the idea that anyone, me included, who marched and left a sign in that area is "trash."

I would not categorically call anyone in either march trash if they demonstrated peacefully, even if some litter was left behind. What a nasty thing to call people you don't even know. I don't think squelching peaceful voices is productive, and certainly not kind.
Keep calm and canter on.

Tarlo Farm
500 post plus club

Postby Tarlo Farm » Sun Jan 29, 2017 2:20 pm

WheresMyWhite wrote:Sitting here scratching my head. I must be under a bigger cabbage leaf than I though as I have no clue what is being alluded to here.

Here we go: Before the election, Access Hollywood released an audio tape from when trump was 60 years old and in a van with a reporter. He talked about kissing women without their consent, and grabbing them "by the pussy..." and getting away with it because he's famous. You really didn't know that????

So some of those of us so disgusted by the very thought of this mysogynistic moron in government, co-opted the symbolism of the word "pussy" and created a sea of pink (not my favorite color at all) and corresponding signs.

Chancellor
Site Admin

Postby Chancellor » Sun Jan 29, 2017 3:17 pm

Tarlo Farm wrote:
Chancellor wrote:

Of course it was! And it's very interesting to see the people who supported trumplestiltskin and therefore his use of the word "pussy" while talking of committing sexual assault.

No money has come the way of anyone I know organizing and/or participating. I'm sure they'd like some.

Regarding the trash: http://www.snopes.com/2017/01/22/womens ... ped-signs/

I also did not vote for him nor do I support him.

WheresMyWhite
500 post plus club

Postby WheresMyWhite » Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:27 am

Frankly, no, I really didn't. Anything to do with Trump prior to the election I pretty much ignored. Didn't like him before, couldn't believe he was elected and I don't like him now. I don't need to listen to audio from Access Hollywood to form that opinion.

At least, for the moment, I still live in a country where I can freely express my opinion about the top elected official in the nation :)

Chancellor
Site Admin

Postby Chancellor » Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:33 pm

I don't have any idea what special snowflake means either. I guess you and I are under the same cabbage leaf.

Tuffytown
Herd Member

Postby Tuffytown » Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:38 pm

Special snowflake is the insult directed at liberals, or really anyone, who objects or protests against the new administration. It was used pretty widely during the campaign period when the candidate would tweet out much of the crap he did and people would say it was offensive. It has become the standard from acolytes now that many are protesting as in "You libruls are a bunch of special snowflakes. He won, get over it and shut up".

WheresMyWhite
500 post plus club

Postby WheresMyWhite » Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:41 pm

Chancellor :lol:

Here the leaf is nice and sunny and heading to the low 70's today, come on in :)

PS - Tuffy, thanks for the explanation. I really just don't do social media for news and for the most part, limit the news sources that might rate higher on the BS/inflamatory meter so I miss stuff like that :)

Might make me sound uninformed but it helps me keep my blood pressure under control. If there is an issue, yes, I will research it so I do occasionally peak out from that cabbage leaf ;)

Chancellor
Site Admin

Postby Chancellor » Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:45 pm

Tuffytown wrote:Special snowflake is the insult directed at liberals, or really anyone, who objects or protests against the new administration. It was used pretty widely during the campaign period when the candidate would tweet out much of the crap he did and people would say it was offensive. It has become the standard from acolytes now that many are protesting as in "You libruls are a bunch of special snowflakes. He won, get over it and shut up".

Well, frankly, I heard a fair amount of that crap when Obama won on the UDBB. So, I'd say that it happens on both sides pretty equally. I think it is just heard more loudly when you are on the receiving end of it (you being the collective you not you directly tuffytown).

boots-aregard
Herd Member

Postby boots-aregard » Mon Jan 30, 2017 4:34 pm

Our final official tally was 38,000. Still chasing the food trucks for their contributions.

I love the comments on social media that attempt to diminish the marches with "Everybody went home feeling great and that's it. Nothing happened." For something that is only a week gone. ;) We funnelled a lot of folks to other organizations with specific foci, and are now planning our next steps. There's talk of a scientists' march coming up, and there have been several demonstrations over the ill conceived airport bans of course.

History will eventually have its view.

Chancellor
Site Admin

Postby Chancellor » Mon Jan 30, 2017 4:40 pm

boots-aregard wrote:Our final official tally was 38,000. Still chasing the food trucks for their contributions.

I love the comments on social media that attempt to diminish the marches with "Everybody went home feeling great and that's it. Nothing happened." For something that is only a week gone. ;) We funnelled a lot of folks to other organizations with specific foci, and are now planning our next steps. There's talk of a scientists' march coming up, and there have been several demonstrations over the ill conceived airport bans of course.

History will eventually have its view.

There is a facebook meme going around that says that Trump got more women up and walking in one day than Michele Obama did the entire 8 years...

Running and ducking.

In all seriousness, I think the idea is a good one. If you are worried that Trump is actually going to get anything done (I'm not worried because I don't think he has support for much), then get out there and make your voice heard.

boots-aregard
Herd Member

Postby boots-aregard » Mon Jan 30, 2017 4:45 pm

Chancellor wrote:
There is a facebook meme going around that says that Trump got more women up and walking in one day than Michele Obama did the entire 8 years...

Good thing you aren't running for office, Chancellor.

Chancellor
Site Admin

Postby Chancellor » Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:08 pm

boots-aregard wrote:
Chancellor wrote:

Good thing you aren't running for office, Chancellor.

I lack ANY sort of politically correctness that is necessary for running for and staying in office. Although I MIGHT have slightly more than Trump

Tarlo Farm
500 post plus club

Postby Tarlo Farm » Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:24 pm

For those of you sitting on the sidelines watching, please remember this:

Martin Niemöller (1892–1984) was a prominent Protestant pastor who emerged as an outspoken public foe of Adolf Hitler and spent the last seven years of Nazi rule in concentration camps.

Niemöller is perhaps best remembered for the quotation:

First they came for the Socialists, and I did not speak out—
Because I was not a Socialist.

Then they came for the Trade Unionists, and I did not speak out—
Because I was not a Trade Unionist.

Then they came for the Jews, and I did not speak out—
Because I was not a Jew.

Then they came for me—and there was no one left to speak for me.

ThursdayNext
Greenie

Postby ThursdayNext » Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:01 pm

After only sporadic voting and having never, ever participated in any kind of march even in college, I have taken part in two demonstrations for human rights in the last week. That may prove futile, or not. However, I have decided history is not going to show I went complacently, that I went along to get along, that I sat by and watched it all go down, saying, Not my problem. Doesn't affect me. Nothing I do will matter. ...

As a sexual assault survivor, as a spiritual person active in Interfaith, and the mother of a visually impaired kid with pre-existing health conditions, affordable high quality health care, public education, disabilities protections, clean air and clean water, birth control, poor people, human rights ARE all my problem. ... Science is my problem. Freedom of religion is my problem. Upholding and protecting the Constitution is my problem. Eradicating torture is my problem. Protecting a free and vigorous press is my problem. Opposing the selecting and registering of human beings like the Nazis did the Jews is my problem. Hate speech that leads to sexualization of women and young girls or swastikas showing up now on local businesses is my problem. Destabilization of Western democracies is my problem. Violence is my problem.

I like Chancellor's joke about Trump galvanizing more women than Michelle Obama. It's true. If nothing else, this is a clarifying moment for the country and for all of us personally, wherever we stand on the issues. ...

boots-aregard
Herd Member

Postby boots-aregard » Tue Jan 31, 2017 7:20 pm

Bravo to you, Thursdaynext. These are our problems.

Until everyone is free, nobody is free.

khall

Postby khall » Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:10 am

What my sister said, who was at the DC march, they were told to put the signs in one place to make it easier for the clean up crew to pick them up. Which BTW are paid by the fee that is charged to conduct the marches. Trump tower was a good "holding" area for this.

boots-aregard
Herd Member

Postby boots-aregard » Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:38 pm

Well, you gotta know EVERYTHING is going to be politicized. If someone is squinting into the sun, it's going to be an "ugly snarl of superiority!" to somebody.

Let it just not be _us_ who are foolish this way.

Racetrackreject
500 post plus club

Postby Racetrackreject » Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:22 pm

Just in reference to the term "snowflake". I saw this posted the other day and thought that it was pretty good. I think of the marches every time I read this.

"I am not a liberal snowflake. My feelings aren't fragile, my heart isn't bleeding. I am a badass believer in human rights. My toughness is in tenderness. My strength is in the service of others. There is nothing more fierce than formidable, unconditional love. There is not a thing more courageous than compassion. But if my belief in equity, empathy, goodness, and love indeed makes me or people like me snowflakes, then you should know, Winter is coming."

Thanks to my friend on the Austin Human Rights Council for sharing.

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”