Jan 21 Women's March

boots-aregard
Herd Member

Jan 21 Women's March

Postby boots-aregard » Tue Jan 03, 2017 3:45 pm

Anybody here involved? Going?

I wanted to go to Washington, but figured it would be a rather big push up with all the people in town, so I switched focus to my local march and am doing some logistics organizing for them.

Our hashtag is #WhyIMarch, my response being "Because my grandkids need a planet." I'm setting up sign-making parties right now.

piedmontfields
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: Jan 21 Women's March

Postby piedmontfields » Tue Jan 03, 2017 4:50 pm

That's a good response.

I do not plan to attend in DC, but I recall being part of large marches on the mall for women's and gay rights when I was younger (in 1987 and 1989). It is a powerful experience if one can be apart of it. Local gatherings will also have a lot of meaning and support for people, I suspect.

texsuze
500 post plus club

Postby texsuze » Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:26 pm

Hadn't heard of it yet. Can you elaborate a bit more? I'd be marching because "I", read: ME, right now! need a healthy planet while I'm still around to enjoy it ;)

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:46 pm

I'll be in DC for work, and a work acquaintance is staying with me to attend the march, so I will probably go with her. Have not done any prepping or planning yet though.
Keep calm and canter on.

boots-aregard
Herd Member

Postby boots-aregard » Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:39 pm

texsuze, look up "Women's March on Washington" either on the web or on Facebook. You'll see lots of links. I don't know what march is closest to you. It started out as a march *in* Washington D.C., but has now become national*, with over 130 cities holding sister marches at the same date/time (so people don't have to fly and do the lodging hunt, etc. and more people can be involved.)

*Actually, INTERnational. There's a march in Australia I heard of (so there may be more there) and another in...Britain?

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:50 pm

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/201 ... d-jan-21-/

its an anti trump march, not really for anything ( imho)

I am just an old horse, i guess i feel like it doesn't matter if the pig or the human is boss, the horse still gets worked to death

boots-aregard
Herd Member

Postby boots-aregard » Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:10 am

We don't see it that way. Ours (under the Bay Area banner) is non partisan and we have applied for our 501(c)(3) designation so we *can't* be partisan.

What we are doing is essentially saying, "We have issues, and there are a lot of us."

Now, granted, we have many issues, and each individual will prioritize the issues differently. But that's been true since the dawn of time, and one does not run a government on the basis of a single issue this month and another single issue next month. Government is collective. Women are leading the march because of the incoming president's ... unfortunate ... comments about women. But regardless of who won or who lost, who sits in the White House, the Senate or the House, women in the U.S. have a variety of political goals and we're going to speak up.

Welcome at our march are women who voted in FAVOR of Trump who want to raise the awareness about their issues.

Tabby
Herd Member

Postby Tabby » Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:56 pm

I haven't heard of any such thing here in Canada so maybe it is anti-Trump. I'm actually going into the US that day. I figured Trump wouldn't have enough time to ban Canadians from entry in his first day and perhaps this will keep him distracted. If, however, he gets around to it later in the week, I won't complain. I'm going on a cruise so I'll be re-entering the US at Ft. Lauderdale a week later so I won't mind being denied entry-they can make me stay on the cruise ship :)!

boots-aregard
Herd Member

Postby boots-aregard » Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:21 pm

London, Sidney, Germany, Italy, Austria, Belgium, Denmark, France, Mexico, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway. I'm quitting at the "n"s.
Lot of 'em.

14 cities in Canada.

Wicky
Herd Member

Postby Wicky » Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:28 pm

I am planning on going to the Boston march.

goldhorse
Herd Member

Postby goldhorse » Sat Jan 07, 2017 1:27 am

Oakland for me!

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Sat Jan 07, 2017 4:38 am

I'm marching in DC. Originally (I work with an organizer) it was intended to raise awareness of human rights, subtext women's rights. Now it seems to just be an anti-Trump protest.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:19 pm

I have a couch and a floor near DuPont Circle if anyone wants to come, PM me.
Keep calm and canter on.

no.stirrups
Novice

Postby no.stirrups » Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:10 pm

Checking on whether their is a march near me, I found this: https://www.womensmarch.com/sisters/ Pins show marches worldwide/ :D

boots-aregard
Herd Member

Postby boots-aregard » Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:21 pm

I wonder how they come up with the "expected participation" on that sisters march site. I know what our permit reads. We won't know until the day of, of course, but I'm curious if they are using the permit's number or if it's just some estimate of percentage of population in an area or something.

no.stirrups
Novice

Postby no.stirrups » Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:40 pm

There is an option to RSVP, so I assume numbers come from that.

Tabby
Herd Member

Postby Tabby » Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:32 pm

Thanks for the link no.stirrups.

boots-aregard
Herd Member

Postby boots-aregard » Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:26 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Btw7pOiHMMg

National ad. I'm a star, so's my daughter and DH. Done by a local guy to support the marches.

Tuffytown
Herd Member

Postby Tuffytown » Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:25 pm

Cool, you going to tell us which ones are you guys?

boots-aregard
Herd Member

Postby boots-aregard » Sat Jan 14, 2017 5:28 am

Yer suppoda guess.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:56 am

Are you busy knitting pussy hats?

boots-aregard
Herd Member

Postby boots-aregard » Sat Jan 14, 2017 4:01 pm

I'm busy finding food trucks to serve 6000+ people.

But I did go to my sign making party last night and my sign reads "This is the Only Planet we get". The "O" is the earth.

The way I figure things, there are people who voted for trump for, say, personal economic reasons: they are worried about their job, and maybe they think immigration reform is needed and our current immigration practice lowers the wages in this country. They may also still believe women are people, too, and RvW is a good compromise and workable law. On the question of immigration reform, we may stand on opposite sides of the fence, on opposite sides of the wall (on implementation. I certainly believe we need immigration reform, too, but not what's being discuss right now), but we may well stand on the same side of the fence with regard to supporting Planned Parenthood, to supporting maternity leave.

Or maybe they really think the ACA was terrible and wanted it repealed, so that's why they voted for trump. I don't. I think it was a good law. So we differ. But maybe they believe, as I do, that climate change is real and we need the Paris Accords, and more!

Almost NO ONE supports any given candidate on 100% of their position. Anyone who wants to join up with us on Jan 21st to carry a sign about their civil liberties (or, for that matter, someone ELSE'S civil liberties), or the environment, or health care or whatever, is welcome. Whether they love or loathe trump is immaterial: we're talking here about supporting certain policy, about promoting certain viewpoints.

We do not have to focus on our differences.

boots-aregard
Herd Member

Postby boots-aregard » Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:02 am

I was originally worried that any possible rain would severely reduce our numbers. (Our permit is for 5000 people).

Now I'm kind of praying for rain, because our sign ups have us at double the number, and climbing. There is no way our 4 measly food trucks can serve the ravening hoards! PR ramps up this week, so the number will continue to climb. *gulp*.

Fatcat
Herd Member

Postby Fatcat » Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:46 pm

no.stirrups wrote:Checking on whether their is a march near me, I found this: https://www.womensmarch.com/sisters/ Pins show marches worldwide/ :D

Funny, there are no marches in Russia ... ;)

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Thu Jan 19, 2017 2:08 pm

Unfairly i guess, but any inclination I might have had to support a march or marches that empower women or their causes completely evaporated with the pussy hats.

Lets see, the president elect was vulgar and demeaning. Should we be worse. No one considers the term dick head a compliment. I do not care to associate myself with people who choose to represent themselves as stupid, vulgar and crass.
No matter what sign you choose to wave, you are still mixing youself with the slop. There is an african expression which says, if you mix youself with the slop, the pigs will eat you.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Thu Jan 19, 2017 2:41 pm

I do not really march. The only thing I ever marched against was apartheid, so perhaps I have a negative perspective

Tuffytown
Herd Member

Postby Tuffytown » Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:05 pm

Have you seen the pussy hats? I don't think they are what you think they are. A bit of double entendre to the name.

cb06
Herd Member

Postby cb06 » Fri Jan 20, 2017 7:06 pm

I am marching, in D.C. ....and I can name at least 10 people I know personally off the top of my head that are also going.

boots-aregard
Herd Member

Postby boots-aregard » Fri Jan 20, 2017 7:34 pm

We are going to be sprinkled on, but the big rain is scheduled for later in the day. Our sign ups have leapt to 20,000 people. Even if only half come, we're 200% of our original estimate.

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Sat Jan 21, 2017 12:56 pm

Boots, I' m with you in spirit

galopp
Herd Member

Postby galopp » Sat Jan 21, 2017 1:24 pm

My daughter is going to the one in NYC, and my DIL to the one in Seattle.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:11 pm

Just got home from DC March. Yuuuge!

Very peaceful, great speakers.
Keep calm and canter on.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:42 pm

I hope you all had fun with your marches, and that you were able to come together in peace and strength and solidarity.

Wicky
Herd Member

Postby Wicky » Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:31 pm

We did, we did.

It was peaceful and supportive and non-confrontational and empowering and pretty darn terrific.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:53 am

I hope you brought your signs home with you. The pictures of the trash left were sadly disappointing and hopefully isolated and exaggeration

stella
Novice

Postby stella » Sun Jan 22, 2017 4:01 pm

Chisamba do you have to hate on everything? It must be hard to be you.

galopp
Herd Member

Postby galopp » Sun Jan 22, 2017 4:10 pm

The signs were NOT litter, the signs were left at the foot of T's hotels, it is what his mouth (his confabulation syndrome) earned him. And it is unrelenting. (And I guess some of the rancor I feel is from personal association with his behaviors with our children.)

musical comedy

Postby musical comedy » Sun Jan 22, 2017 6:44 pm

There may have been signs/trash left in front of the Trump Tower, but from these pics it looks like trash was everywhere. With the number of marchers, they all couldn't dispose of their trash at one place. I suspect it's everywhere.

http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2017/01 ... lse-clean/

boots-aregard
Herd Member

Postby boots-aregard » Sun Jan 22, 2017 7:09 pm

We were required in our permit to clean up, and had plenty of volunteers who helped us do it.

Yes, they block off trash cans to avoid easy access to bombs. They get unlocked at the end. Precaution, you know?

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:19 pm

Proportionally, very little litter for the number of people. I was on the mall yesterday and it was clean. Still haven't heard of any arrests made, which I think is remarkable.
Keep calm and canter on.

goldhorse
Herd Member

Postby goldhorse » Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:45 pm

I marched in Oakland. It was mind-blowing. The kindness, the camaraderie, the creativity blew me away. Not a single arrest. No trash left on the streets. Not an unkind word heard.

Canyon
500 post plus club

Postby Canyon » Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:30 pm

A march is being proposed for April 15 to pressure Trump to release his tax returns.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/apr ... a73569f9ca?

boots-aregard
Herd Member

Postby boots-aregard » Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:21 am

I saw that. Problem with that idea is Trump could release something the day before, and all the work (and money) would then look like an also-ran. I think Trump should release his taxes, it goes without saying, but I don't think thousands of marchers should allow themselves to be put in a position of playing the patsy.

musical comedy

Postby musical comedy » Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:19 pm

boots-aregard wrote:I saw that. Problem with that idea is Trump could release something the day before, and all the work (and money) would then look like an also-ran. I think Trump should release his taxes, it goes without saying, but I don't think thousands of marchers should allow themselves to be put in a position of playing the patsy.

Some sources say the money is coming from Soros. They say he contributed 90 million to the women's march and was behind the organizers of it. I don't know, nor do I care; just a fyi. Trump is not going to release his returns, and I do not believe that many people really care anyway. It's just another thing for some to use to try and deligitimize his presidency. Are their any Republican/Conservative women marching? Just curious. I know for myself, there is absolutely nothing...zero...that would get me out that marching for anything.

Tuffytown
Herd Member

Postby Tuffytown » Tue Jan 24, 2017 3:53 pm

The Soros bogey man again. Of course millions of women (and men) couldn't feel strongly enough about the state of the country and the new administration to express their opinion in a peaceful march. Their must be a bogeyman manipulating them. Insulting.

boots-aregard
Herd Member

Postby boots-aregard » Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:51 pm

musical comedy wrote:Some sources say the money is coming from Soros. They say he contributed 90 million to the women's march and was behind the organizers of it.

Ha. 90 million bucks would have been quite a nice salary for about 20 on our local team, and I know for a fact they hand raised every penny. So, you can take that as contrary data to the "some sources".
Are their any Republican/Conservative women marching?

We don't have a test, so I couldn't tell you. Since I'm rather conservative myself, I can raise my hand, but my definition and yours might not align. It is certainly true that many of the marchers were anti-Trump (you had only to read their signs to know that). But their party affiliation? No telling.

musical comedy

Postby musical comedy » Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:17 pm

boots-aregard wrote:Ha. 90 million bucks would have been quite a nice salary for about 20 on our local team, and I know for a fact they hand raised every penny. So, you can take that as contrary data to the "some sources".

I've heard the Soros thing from various places, the most recent being the NYT (a liberal rag). Here is the link:
http://nytlive.nytimes.com/womeninthewo ... ashington/
Of course, nowadays, we can't be sure anything we read or see is accurate. I think though that there is enough evidence out there that Soros money is behind some of the demonstrations. I never said nor insinuated that anyone was 'manipulated' ( :roll: Tuffy) into marching. All these marches had to be organized by someone. Yours aregard was small as probably were many others. The big one in Washington didn't come together without some organizers. To dismiss that Soros is involved in the anti-Trump stuff is rather naive.

We don't have a test, so I couldn't tell you. Since I'm rather conservative myself, I can raise my hand, but my definition and yours might not align. It is certainly true that many of the marchers were anti-Trump (you had only to read their signs to know that). But their party affiliation? No telling.
You're right. From reading many of your posts over the years, I do not consider you conservative, especially on social issues. I probably should have asked how many Republicans were marching. There were probably some, but I suspect few. It was clearly imo an anti-Trump march for most.

boots-aregard
Herd Member

Postby boots-aregard » Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:32 pm

boots-aregard
Herd Member

Postby boots-aregard » Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:34 pm

musical comedy wrote:Of course, nowadays, we can't be sure anything we read or see is accurate. I think though that there is enough evidence out there that Soros money is behind some of the demonstrations. I never said nor insinuated that anyone was 'manipulated' ( :roll: Tuffy) into marching. All these marches had to be organized by someone. Yours aregard was small as probably were many others. The big one in Washington didn't come together without some organizers. To dismiss that Soros is involved in the anti-Trump stuff is rather naive.

I dunno. Having ACTUALLY been involved in the organization of the marches in the bay area, where fundraising was a *real issue* and knowing many of the local donors, I happen to think that leaping on the Conspiracy! bandwagon is rather naive.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:48 pm

galopp wrote:The signs were NOT litter, the signs were left at the foot of T's hotels, it is what his mouth (his confabulation syndrome) earned him. And it is unrelenting. (And I guess some of the rancor I feel is from personal association with his behaviors with our children.)

Trash leave trash, regardless of their excuse.

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”