Where we have failed....

Chancellor
Site Admin

Re: Where we have failed....

Postby Chancellor » Tue Nov 03, 2015 2:05 pm

CanadianTrotter wrote:

Oops.. the new "Like" feature is too close to the quote feature, I "Liked" your post by mistake.

Is that on your phone or on a computer? I WILL attempt to fix that.

WheresMyWhite
500 post plus club

Postby WheresMyWhite » Tue Nov 03, 2015 4:08 pm

CT, out of curiosity, have you been successful in changing anyone's mind about a subject/opinion in which they have firm, deep-seated belief???

And a more generic question... of those of you who read, what is it, motherjones.com(?) as a news source, how much time do you spend fact checking to ensure that what is published is factually accurate and all/most all facts were included or just assume because it was published there it must be right?

Tuffytown
Herd Member

Postby Tuffytown » Tue Nov 03, 2015 4:40 pm

Anything contentious I always google to read differing opinions of the story. I have changed my first reaction to a story by looking at several sides of an issue.

xhltsalute
Greenie

Postby xhltsalute » Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:17 pm

Exactly, Tuffy.

xhltsalute
Greenie

Postby xhltsalute » Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:22 pm

Chancellor wrote:https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10207738772527413&set=a.1196298067713.2031325.1236325108&type=3&theater

Apparently, more than a few people on Facebook ALSO think many LEOs are painted with a bad brush.

And, more than a few people on Facebook ALSO think abusive LEO's need to be removed from their respective police depts.

boots-aregard
Herd Member

Postby boots-aregard » Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:59 pm

WheresMyWhite wrote:CT, out of curiosity, have you been successful in changing anyone's mind about a subject/opinion in which they have firm, deep-seated belief???

Actually, I did once. Not CT, not about this thread or anything, but people always say how 'talking on a newsgroup" (or bulletin board or whatever) never changes anybody's mind. And I have had the experience where my argumentation did, and the fellow came right out and explained what portion of my arguments did make a difference to his thinking. It was an abortion argument, so making sense to a guy and altering his thinking kind of puffed me up for a few days.

And a more generic question... of those of you who read, what is it, motherjones.com(?) as a news source, how much time do you spend fact checking to ensure that what is published is factually accurate and all/most all facts were included or just assume because it was published there it must be right?

It's obvious the answer to this is "it depends". Nobody fact-checks EVERYTHING. Nobody on this green earth has that much TIME!

But I suspect many folks who are about to make some point in print (i.e., newgroup, bulletin board, etc.) do SOME background checking.

and I further suspect that many other folks _don't_ (given the amount of crap that is available to be read).

So it's gonna be a mixed bag. and we all have the task of turfing thru things, and we all have little mental registers on what sources "seem" reputable and which speakers "appear" to be correct most of the time. (and vice versa). And nothing is foolproof.

Why does this need to be said? Who in their right mind is going to say, "I spend ZERO TIME!" (even if they do spend precisely zero time?) How much time is "enough" time? I mean, come on. What is the point?

Chancellor
Site Admin

Postby Chancellor » Tue Nov 03, 2015 7:03 pm

Actually I had my mind changed by a couple people on the old UDBB. One was Shay84 when she was talking about breast feeding. I learned a lot from her. I always try to listen to other people's points of view. UNLESS of course, it is a point of view clearly wrong (like Pit bulls are inherently bad or have locking jaws etc)

KathyK
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby KathyK » Tue Nov 03, 2015 8:02 pm

Locking jaws? :o :roll: :lol:

angela9823
Herd Member

Postby angela9823 » Tue Nov 03, 2015 11:47 pm

Chancellor wrote:Actually I had my mind changed by a couple people on the old UDBB. One was Shay84 when she was talking about breast feeding. I learned a lot from her. I always try to listen to other people's points of view. UNLESS of course, it is a point of view clearly wrong (like Pit bulls are inherently bad or have locking jaws etc)
Agreed. Someone on UDBB had a great convincing argument too about why it wasn't okay to spank children. There have been many great debates that have changed my mind about things. I love thoughtful conversations/debates/arguments that get people to think different about things.

CanadianTrotter
Herd Member

Postby CanadianTrotter » Wed Nov 04, 2015 2:04 am

Chancellor wrote:
CanadianTrotter wrote:

Oops.. the new "Like" feature is too close to the quote feature, I "Liked" your post by mistake.

Is that on your phone or on a computer? I WILL attempt to fix that.

On my IPad.

CanadianTrotter
Herd Member

Postby CanadianTrotter » Wed Nov 04, 2015 2:15 am

WheresMyWhite wrote:CT, out of curiosity, have you been successful in changing anyone's mind about a subject/opinion in which they have firm, deep-seated belief???

Absolutely... yes, I have.

It's not about changing a person's mind or opinion... it's about ensuring they have a properly informed opinion. It's about offering people with tunnel vision other sources and viewpoints that they can take an honest and somewhat unbiased look at and apply to their knowledge.

CanadianTrotter
Herd Member

Postby CanadianTrotter » Wed Nov 04, 2015 2:23 am

Tuffytown wrote:Anything contentious I always google to read differing opinions of the story. I have changed my first reaction to a story by looking at several sides of an issue.

Spot on!

I not only Google different opinions and sides to the different stories, I ask several different people their opinions as well. Doing this also helps me to reaffirm/change my opinions or get my facts straight.

M&M
Herd Member

Postby M&M » Thu Nov 05, 2015 2:21 am

I used to believe in pitbulls' locking jaws. Embarrassing but true.

CanadianTrotter
Herd Member

Postby CanadianTrotter » Thu Nov 05, 2015 3:55 am

M&M wrote:I used to believe in pitbulls' locking jaws. Embarrassing but true.

The first time I heard about pitbulls locking their jaws I searched for several other reputable resources to find out if it was true or not.

Chancellor
Site Admin

Postby Chancellor » Thu Nov 05, 2015 1:36 pm

M&M wrote:I used to believe in pitbulls' locking jaws. Embarrassing but true.

So did I a long time ago! :oops: :oops: :oops:

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”