Can my American friends comment on this?

Tabby
Herd Member

Can my American friends comment on this?

Postby Tabby » Tue Oct 27, 2015 1:46 pm

Now that we've survived our own election, our news is shifting over to the upcoming American race. I've only vaguely followed it to the extent that it is usually pretty funny when Donald Trump opens his mouth. Today the CBC had this article: http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/ben-car ... -1.3289823.

I have to say it sounds pretty scary. Are there really that many Americans that think this way? Whatever happened to good old fashioned common sense? Honestly, if the next POTUS is anything like this Canadians will be wishing that wall was seriously considered. Please tell me the author of this article is not serious.

Spiritpaws
Novice

Re: Can my American friends comment on this?

Postby Spiritpaws » Wed Oct 28, 2015 10:23 am

Tabby, its good old American political theatre.

Americans by and large don't elect presidents from either extreme (right or left).

WheresMyWhite
500 post plus club

Postby WheresMyWhite » Wed Oct 28, 2015 3:27 pm

We are also a year out from the presidential election. A lot can happen between now and then to any candidate...

Chancellor
Site Admin

Postby Chancellor » Wed Oct 28, 2015 4:08 pm

The news media keeps saying "so and so is surging in the polls" Who cares? It doesn't mean a THING until just before the elections.

As for what happened to common sense...Americans are working to legislate anything related to common sense so that people without it don't kill themselves. Therefore no one learns any.

Tabby
Herd Member

Postby Tabby » Wed Oct 28, 2015 7:02 pm

Chancellor wrote:As for what happened to common sense...Americans are working to legislate anything related to common sense so that people without it don't kill themselves. Therefore no one learns any.

LOL!!

Thanks for the comments. I guess it's just all part of the show but doesn't it seem a bit creepy that people who say things like that can draw any type of support - even this early?

Chancellor
Site Admin

Postby Chancellor » Wed Oct 28, 2015 7:57 pm

Remember 50% of the population is below average intelligence. Basically, it is the name recognition that is getting people.

hoopoe
Herd Member

Postby hoopoe » Sat Oct 31, 2015 10:16 pm

wow Chancellor, that is a pretty lopsided bell curve

Tabby
Herd Member

Postby Tabby » Sat Oct 31, 2015 11:17 pm

Not really. Half the people are above average and the other half below so 50/50 either way.

AnnCohrs
Greenie

Postby AnnCohrs » Sun Nov 01, 2015 3:31 am

I think it's more than just name recognition. (Ben WHO?)

The Republicans and Libertarians have carefully built a hatred of government over the past few decades. and OOPS they suddenly have to deal with candidates who exploit this and fan the flames of sweet, sweet, addictive outrage.

Chancellor
Site Admin

Postby Chancellor » Sun Nov 01, 2015 1:44 pm

Tabby wrote:Not really. Half the people are above average and the other half below so 50/50 either way.

Exactly!

KathyK
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby KathyK » Sun Nov 01, 2015 2:01 pm

Chancellor wrote:Remember 50% of the population is below average intelligence. Basically, it is the name recognition that is getting people.

Not quite right. 50% of the population is below the average intelligence of that population, not automatically or necessarily below average intelligence.

Tabby
Herd Member

Postby Tabby » Sun Nov 01, 2015 2:08 pm

It's still semantics. The real question should be what is the average level of intelligence?

KathyK

Postby KathyK » Sun Nov 01, 2015 8:48 pm

Tabby wrote:It's still semantics. The real question should be what is the average level of intelligence?

It's not semantics. The average intelligence of a particular population can be quite different from the average intelligence of another population. Intelligence is generally measured by IQ, and "average intelligence" in general is considered to be an IQ score of 100.

Chancellor
Site Admin

Postby Chancellor » Mon Nov 02, 2015 3:19 pm

KathyK wrote:
Chancellor wrote:Remember 50% of the population is below average intelligence. Basically, it is the name recognition that is getting people.

Not quite right. 50% of the population is below the average intelligence of that population, not automatically or necessarily below average intelligence.

You will notice that I said "50% of the population".....

KathyK

Postby KathyK » Mon Nov 02, 2015 3:55 pm

What population? The implication is that 50% of the population of the US is below average intelligence. That's not something you can say with any certainty.

Chancellor
Site Admin

Postby Chancellor » Mon Nov 02, 2015 4:11 pm

KathyK wrote:What population? The implication is that 50% of the population of the US is below average intelligence. That's not something you can say with any certainty.

KathyK- I think you need to learn a thing or two about statistics. I CAN say that....because by its very definition, 50% ANY population is below the average intelligence OF that population.

KathyK

Postby KathyK » Mon Nov 02, 2015 4:25 pm

I think you need to learn a thing or two about statistics.

I don't think so.
...because by its very definition, 50% ANY population is below the average intelligence OF that population.

That is quite different from your original statement that "... 50% of the population is below average intelligence" which, taken as written, means below an IQ score of 100. I could say that you need to learn a thing or two about clear writing.

Tabby
Herd Member

Postby Tabby » Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:16 pm

If the average score on an IQ test is 100, then roughly 50 percent of people tested score lower than that. I understand it's not exact - that would be the median score but for the context that it was used above, it is close enough.

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”