The Equifax debacle

texsuze
500 post plus club

The Equifax debacle

Postby texsuze » Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:10 pm

Putting this in the category of 'other hot topics'. Is anyone working on assessing whether your personal info might have been caught up in the Equifax hacking? Having already been a victim of identity theft last year, I'm sure all my i.d. stuff is already/still out there in the hands of the spooks and cretins. I obtained credit reports from all three reporting services last year as part of picking up the pieces of i.d. theft, but plan to take a deep breath, several hours of my time, and dig in again :x

WheresMyWhite
500 post plus club

Re: The Equifax debacle

Postby WheresMyWhite » Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:32 pm

Mine "might" have been (forget their exact wording but it was in the early check).

I have not registered with their free offering and not sure if I will (especially after today's latest).

Federal investigation into exec stock sales prior to releasing info to the public. :roll:

Today's debacle is Equifax tweeting out bogus/incorrect web site for people to check to see if their data was part of the breach. http://www.9news.com/news/nation-world/equifax-accidentally-sent-data-breach-victims-to-a-fake-website/477541293

The level of incompetence displayed by a company *paid* to store credit data on people is frightening.

galopp
Herd Member

Postby galopp » Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:16 pm

(And the SEC was hacked at relatively the same time....)

Kyra's Mom
500 post plus club

Postby Kyra's Mom » Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:50 pm

We had a local official have his identity stolen...just last week. They said, since the perpetrators had all his personal information...SS, birthdays, account numbers, etc, they (the perp) called the bank and changed all his passwords and PIN's.

Then the news piece tells us to go change all our passwords and PINs. What good is that going to do if the thieves go in and change everything anyway?

I am just checking on a daily basis. I do have a credit lock but that won't protect me from the above scenario.

We had a Wannacry attack at work because a couple vendors did not take the warning 6 months earlier seriously. I think it is very hard to keep ahead of dedicated hackers :twisted: .

Susan
from susamorg on the UDBB

boots-aregard
Herd Member

Postby boots-aregard » Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:36 pm

I froze all my credit accounts. I'm now working with the banks to secure those accounts, since that's where my real money is. They seem to have no plan. Yikes!

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”