The new Canadian Cabinet

Rhianon
Herd Member

The new Canadian Cabinet

Postby Rhianon » Wed Nov 04, 2015 7:35 pm

So, what do we think? I don't know much about most of them myself.

But I'm thrilled Stéphane Dion has a place. I've always thought of him as seriously under-rated.
Last edited by Rhianon on Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tabby
Herd Member

Re: The new CanadianCabinet

Postby Tabby » Wed Nov 04, 2015 7:51 pm

At a glance it looks ok. I don't know many of them either. I sort of hoped Marc Garneau would get Science but in a sense Transport makes sense for him. The new Science Minister, Kirsty Duncan, is the MP for the area where my work (a lab) is located. Not sure if or how that will affect me but it isn't a bad thing. I think Stephane Dion is perfect for Foreign Affairs. I do like that the cabinet is balanced - both in gender and in representation from around the country.

Helygen
Greenie

Re: The new Canadian Cabinet

Postby Helygen » Thu Nov 05, 2015 1:46 am

I quite like the cabinet - there are quite a few Ministers I don't know much about but I think it's appropriate that
an astronaut is a Minister of Transportation
a paralympian is the Minister of Sport and Disabilities
a veteran is the Minister of Defense
a scientist and professor is the Minister of Sciences
an Inuit is the Minister of Fisheries and Ocean
a doctor is the Minster of Health

That's just a few that I remember from this morning...

CanadianTrotter
Herd Member

Postby CanadianTrotter » Thu Nov 05, 2015 4:04 am

From the city I live in... the new Minister of Democratic Institutions.

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2015/11/04 ... 68048.html

Figgy
Herd Member

Postby Figgy » Thu Nov 05, 2015 7:30 am

It's being talked about here because of the high gender equality and ethnic diversity. Our Liberal Party could learn a lot from your new PM. But then, most of ours are still trying to come to terms wit the fact that the earth isn't flat and women and aborigines can vote.

Tabby
Herd Member

Postby Tabby » Fri Nov 06, 2015 1:46 am

That's nice to hear, Figgy. So far, all we have been told about the world views of our politics is that we have a hot PM with nice hair. Then again, as I type that I wonder if that's the nicest thing ever to be said about a politician anywhere. I suppose the next thing we'll be saying is "how Canadian of us".

Pippigirl
Greenie

Postby Pippigirl » Fri Nov 06, 2015 5:09 am

Figgy wrote:It's being talked about here because of the high gender equality and ethnic diversity. Our Liberal Party could learn a lot from your new PM. But then, most of ours are still trying to come to terms wit the fact that the earth isn't flat and women and aborigines can vote.

lol!

Crisscreek
Greenie

Postby Crisscreek » Fri Nov 06, 2015 3:13 pm

Interesting mix! I really like the approach of everyone walking up the driveway together, instead of showing up in dark private limos. I do hope it truly signals a new era in "open-ness" in government, but time will tell.

And....
A first nations person as minister of justice! Wow, considering the issues first nations have had with courts, police and the murdered/missing women.

The new minister of defence sure has an impressive resume as well.

Tabby
Herd Member

Postby Tabby » Fri Nov 06, 2015 4:59 pm

They ran an article in the Metro News this morning that showed a graph of types of education of current cabinet compared to the previous one. The previous cabinet was comprised of primarily lawyers and MBA's while this one has a whole bunch of Masters, PhDs and a couple of doctors. What a difference. I truly believe science will be legal again soon!

Rhianon
Herd Member

Postby Rhianon » Fri Nov 06, 2015 5:17 pm

I saw a similar article Tabby. They've chosen people who have worked in the fields relating to their ministries. I think this approach might be one of the reasons that it was easy to find highly qualified women.

KathyK
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby KathyK » Fri Nov 06, 2015 11:29 pm

I read recently that when someone asked Trudeau why his cabinet has such diversity, he said, "Because it's 2015."

Tabby
Herd Member

Postby Tabby » Sat Nov 07, 2015 12:45 am

I'm on my phone and don't know how to link but check cbc - scientists are officially unmuzzled!

Rhianon
Herd Member

Postby Rhianon » Sat Nov 07, 2015 3:25 pm

And we now have a ministry of Environment and Climate Change!

Figgy
Herd Member

Postby Figgy » Sun Nov 08, 2015 7:02 am

lucky you, our Liberal party are still trying to get their heads around the idea that the earth is not flat and that women have a place in the public sphere.

That said, we are seeing more indigenous Australians in prominent roles in parliament. I look forward to our first indigenous Prime Minister.

In Queensland our Innovation Minister is a young indigenous Australian, went to a session with State Archives this week as part of my current job and they were saying that they'd had her out at Archives, she was bored, very bored (boffins with stacks of paper that economists fail to value) then they showed her the project team where indigenous Australians are researching and collating their history - that project got her attention and she was quite excited about it. Its a project that employs many indigenous Australian researchers and adds value to their community.

Don Giovanni
Novice

Postby Don Giovanni » Mon Nov 09, 2015 3:16 pm

Tabby
Herd Member

Postby Tabby » Mon Nov 09, 2015 3:42 pm

Thanks DG! There is also this one from this morning: http://www.cbc.ca/news/trending/unmuzzl ... -1.3309303.

It really does feel like the end of a post-apocalyptic movie.

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”