Fox Apology to Canada - old but I just stumbled on it

Tabby
Herd Member

Fox Apology to Canada - old but I just stumbled on it

Postby Tabby » Tue Nov 10, 2015 11:59 pm

I was looking for the Highway of Heroes video (see OL thread) and I stumbled across this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GwM83cLorQ

I've heard more than a few comments about Fox News on the former UDBB and I know many of you refer to it as Faux News. We actually get the network up here but I never watch it since I'm usually concerned with more local stuff. Still, despite the warnings from you folks, I was a bit shocked by this. I didn't want to add this to my other thread because I really do have some serious emotions about Remembrance/Veterans day and this is more of a complaint. It is also a tad on the political side seeing that we're two different countries and all that. I don't take it personally or anything but I do hope my beloved American friends don't share these sentiments. I guess I'm just looking for reassurance. Thanks folks.

KathyK
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: Fox Apology to Canada - old but I just stumbled on it

Postby KathyK » Wed Nov 11, 2015 1:49 pm

Of course we don't. Well, anyone who's not a knucklehead ass doesn't. People who watch Fox "News" are knucklehead asses because they like this kind of mean, disrespectful crap. It makes them feel better about themselves. I'd feel sorry for them, but since they vote I'm more disgusted by them than anything else.

Chancellor
Site Admin

Postby Chancellor » Wed Nov 11, 2015 3:54 pm

I did not watch the video. As most of you know, I definitely am more right leaning in my political views. However, Fox news is really Faux news to me as well. It is WAY TOO SLANTED to watch in my opinion.

WheresMyWhite
500 post plus club

Postby WheresMyWhite » Wed Nov 11, 2015 4:58 pm

KathyK wrote:Of course we don't. Well, anyone who's not a knucklehead ass doesn't. People who watch Fox "News" are knucklehead asses because they like this kind of mean, disrespectful crap. It makes them feel better about themselves. I'd feel sorry for them, but since they vote I'm more disgusted by them than anything else.

KathyK, I was a bit upset by this comment. As I have said, I don't watch FOX as I can't stomach their slant on news.

Having said that, one of the few true friends I have (and yes, over the last few years I have discovered how few "friends" I have vs "acquaintances") watches FOX. She was kind enough to travel with me as I relocated from my old home to a new home 1000 miles away, driving the van with all my personal items that the movers didn't take, walking my dog, helping check in and out at the hotels, helping me clean out my old house and unpacked tons of boxes at new house... so when she wanted to watch FOX, I just buttoned my lip and know that while I maybe don't agree with her views and politics, I consider her a true friend, not a knucklehead ass as you so kindly put it.

KathyK

Postby KathyK » Wed Nov 11, 2015 6:16 pm

If she continues to watch Fox "News" when it broadcasts this kind of hateful idiocy, in my book she's a knucklehead ass. She may have a bit of kindness in her, but it doesn't make up for supporting (by watching) the hateful rhetoric that comes out of Fox every day.

WheresMyWhite
500 post plus club

Postby WheresMyWhite » Wed Nov 11, 2015 6:47 pm

KathyK wrote:If she continues to watch Fox "News" when it broadcasts this kind of hateful idiocy, in my book she's a knucklehead ass. She may have a bit of kindness in her, but it doesn't make up for supporting (by watching) the hateful rhetoric that comes out of Fox every day.

Obviously to each his own but IMO this type of thinking gets in the way of any attempt at meaningful discourse.

Not the 'hateful idiocy' or 'hateful rhetoric' part of the equation but the thinking someone is a knucklehead ass ...

KathyK

Postby KathyK » Wed Nov 11, 2015 7:14 pm

What do you think of someone who continues to watch hateful idiocy and rhetoric? Is that person interested in meaningful discourse?

Tabby
Herd Member

Postby Tabby » Wed Nov 11, 2015 8:06 pm

Some people simply don't know what information is true or false to begin with. They don't know something is hateful. If someone didn't know Canada has an army, how would they know that what fox said was offensive?

KathyK

Postby KathyK » Wed Nov 11, 2015 8:32 pm

What developed country that's of any size at all doesn't have an army?

Tabby
Herd Member

Postby Tabby » Wed Nov 11, 2015 8:59 pm

Likely none but other than the regular nato countries and whoever they happen to fight against you don't really hear about many of them. For example, I really have no idea if Malta has one. Probably they do but I really don't know.

WheresMyWhite
500 post plus club

Postby WheresMyWhite » Wed Nov 11, 2015 9:02 pm

KathyK wrote:What do you think of someone who continues to watch hateful idiocy and rhetoric? Is that person interested in meaningful discourse?

What do I think? I avoid politics with most people anyway and I do that with her as well. When she gets out on the fringe, I try to avoid discussion/feedback as I personally suspect it would be counterproductive. For everything else, I love her to pieces... she's helped me and been there for me as much or more than many others that I thought were friends. And, as Tabby pointed out, maybe she doesn't think it is hateful rhetoric... maybe she thinks the uber liberal outlets are hateful rhetoric - I don't know, I don't want to know.

If I dismissed her out of hand as a knucklehead ass, I'd be missing out on someone I truly like and respect. Political beliefs are only part of a person. True they may influence the balance of the person, but I personally prefer to give them a chance rather than summarily dismiss them and perhaps loose out on knowing a wonderful person.

Tabby
Herd Member

Postby Tabby » Wed Nov 11, 2015 10:37 pm

Another thing, she might get a kick out of the stuff they get wrong. Or perhaps she works with actual knuckle heads and this is how she figures out what topics to avoid and/or what to say so they don't bully her. Who knows. But it's the people who don't know and actually believe what they say where the real damage is done. I always want to believe that nobody actually intends harm but that newscaster certainly did.

KathyK

Postby KathyK » Thu Nov 12, 2015 1:30 am

Here's an example of the fine "reporting" done by Fox:
ELISABETH HASSELBECK (CO-HOST): That's right, Steve. Only 271,000 new jobs were added last month. That is up from September as well. Analysts were expecting more than 180,000 jobs for October.

Either they are extremely stupid or they intend harm to the Obama administration. Probably both. You can see the idiocy for yourself here:
http://mediamatters.org/blog/2015/11/06 ... cto/206671

In my opinion, anyone who continues to watch this "news" broadcast is willfully deciding to be misinformed.

CanadianTrotter
Herd Member

Postby CanadianTrotter » Thu Nov 12, 2015 2:25 am

WheresMyWhite wrote:
KathyK wrote:What do you think of someone who continues to watch hateful idiocy and rhetoric? Is that person interested in meaningful discourse?

I don't know, I don't want to know.

So...(wilfull) ignorance is bliss?

WheresMyWhite
500 post plus club

Postby WheresMyWhite » Thu Nov 12, 2015 4:31 am

Whatevah....

KathyK

Postby KathyK » Thu Nov 12, 2015 1:36 pm

CanadianTrotter wrote:
WheresMyWhite wrote:

WheresMyWhite wrote:Whatevah...

That's some great "meaningful discourse," WMW.

MaggieMae
Greenie

Postby MaggieMae » Thu Nov 12, 2015 6:08 pm

And saying that "People who watch Fox "News" are knucklehead asses" is meaningful discourse? Yeah Whatevah.... I can see that not much has changed here.....

WheresMyWhite
500 post plus club

Postby WheresMyWhite » Thu Nov 12, 2015 8:21 pm

MM, you're right... not much has changed and I had the same thought you did about discourse but couldn't even summon the energy to respond :)

CanadianTrotter
Herd Member

Postby CanadianTrotter » Sun Nov 15, 2015 11:59 am

KathyK wrote:
CanadianTrotter wrote:
WheresMyWhite wrote:

WheresMyWhite wrote:Whatevah...

That's some great "meaningful discourse," WMW.

Things haven't changed and I doubt they will. That's why I chalk it up to wilfull ignorance.

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”