Help for refugees

boots-aregard
Herd Member

Help for refugees

Postby boots-aregard » Wed Nov 18, 2015 5:54 pm

Maybe we need some good ideas that will spur folks here to a little action? How 'bout this: http://gifts.rescue.org/?ms=em_cult_rge ... MjIzNDkwS0

Send blankets to refugees in the name of your more stubborn relatives? (Or in the name of your grandma who WAS a refugee herself?) Most of us don't need more "stuff" for Christmas, but certainly the refugees, living in tent camps over winter in Turkey, DO!

Other ideas?

heddylamar
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: Help for refugees

Postby heddylamar » Wed Nov 18, 2015 7:19 pm

Passive aggressive Christmas gifts, I love it! :-)

Rather than exchanging gifts, my family generally does a group gift to Heifer or such. I'm going to suggest this for our group gift this year.

Tabby
Herd Member

Postby Tabby » Thu Nov 19, 2015 2:18 am

What a great idea. I have to admit, I am sick of donating money. I don't know where the money goes. I don't know how it is spent. I don't know if it even does any good. I want to do something that actually helps. If I could take in a family, I would. But I can't. And I can't afford to sponsoring a complete family - that would be actually pretty rewarding since you would be involved in their integration into society here - but it involves a tremendous financial commitment that I simply can't provide. I read today that there are a group of university students who are fluent in arabic volunteering to be translators. That sounds pretty awesome - but I can't speak arabic so I would suck at that. I am glad they are doing it, though, and I would give *them* a donation if they were organized enough to accept donations.

I have Syrian neighbours. I don't know anything else about them except that they come from Syria. Not even their religion - the kids go to Catholic school but the oldest is named Mohamed so anybody's guess is as good as mine. They moved in about a year ago. They came to our summer BBQ and that's the only time I ever spoke to them. The mom has an accent but speaks English very well. The dad not so much. The kids sound Canadian so they were either born here or have been here since they began to talk (oldest is 14). I've thought of asking them what they think about the whole thing but I just don't see them out very much and when I do everyone is on their way somewhere in a hurry (as usual). I wish I could find a way to approach them - chances are they have relatives caught up in this mess and maybe I could help with them. At least I would feel like I was making a direct contribution.

In the meantime, I'm looking into these "gifts" on the link. I don't think my relatives would mind, even though the newest of my ancestors arrived in the 1800's and my husband is part Cree. We aren't like that.

Spiritpaws
Novice

Postby Spiritpaws » Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:48 am

I love this idea of supporting this rescue group. I usually do secret santa around town (paying off some lay-aways at places like K mart). Going to add this rescue charity to my list. Thanks Boots for the link!

boots-aregard
Herd Member

Postby boots-aregard » Wed Dec 09, 2015 9:08 pm

We have decided to get off fossil fuels as much as we can so we are buying an electric hybrid for the new year. (Plus, the business will be leasing 2 other all-electric cars. I can't tell you how betrayed we feel by VW's TDI fiasco.)

Anyway, I had my little 2002 Hyundai gone over with a fine toothed comb 2 years ago when grandchild #2 was on the way, since I knew I would be nannying, and it seemed a shame to junk it even if it is a gas-powered machine. So I am donating it to the IRC for a refugee family to have. I had hoped to retire it completely (at least 1 car off the road!) but economics won out.

At least I'll be greatly reducing my carbon footprint.

Rhianon
Herd Member

Postby Rhianon » Thu Dec 17, 2015 8:26 pm

In Canada, see if there is a private refugee sponsorship group in your community. They usually operate through a faith-based organization that has an agreement with the government to monitor the process and experience doing it. For example, I belong to a sponsorship group that is working through the Anglican Diocese of BC. We're a mixed bunch ourselves, aetheists, lapsed Buddhists, Catholics, you name it.

I know that for our group 100% of the money we raise goes directly to paying for the family's needs once they get here. Nothing is spent on overhead. I'm guessing that is the same for any group. The group is legally required to provide everything for the family for at least one year. To qualify to apply for a family we have to have at least $35,000 in trust. Our funding goal is actually $50,000 because we think $35,000 isn't enough for a family of four in our area. Even with that we're counting on donations in kind (clothing, furniture, reduced rent) to make it all work.

Going with something local feels very rewarding.

Of course, I could also post a link to our website if anybody is interested. :-)

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”