What will it take for gun lovers to say ENOUGH

Tabby
Herd Member

Re: What will it take for gun lovers to say ENOUGH

Postby Tabby » Thu Oct 15, 2015 9:06 pm

WheresMyWhite wrote:I would personally have an issue with "inspection" of my property (residence/vehicle). If this meant I wouldn't buy a gun, I probably wouldn't as I am not about to accept LE into my home to inspect anything. And if not LE, no way am I allowing someone in to "inspect" anything.

Would *you* allow the entrance into your home and "inspection" (of whatever they might find) at their whim if you bought a gun? I suspect you have no intention of purchasing a gun but would you agree to such an inspection?

We don't do that to operate a motor vehicle (with exception for things like informed consent which is DUI suspicion related).

We actually do allow inspection of motor vehicles, depending on where you live. For example, your state might have emission and safety testing requirements for which you have to provide evidence for in order to renew you plates or license. You consent to these conditions when you buy a car. Why wouldn't you consent to something similar when buying a gun? An inspection doesn't always involve an in person search of premises but merely the provision of evidence that you are in compliance with the law.

myleetlepony
Herd Member

Postby myleetlepony » Thu Oct 15, 2015 9:38 pm

WheresMyWhite wrote:
myleetlepony wrote:Yes, there may be reasonable search and seizure without a warrant. That would fall under the realm of if you were pulled over and the officer had reasonable suspicion or probable cause to believe you had a firearm in the car without proper licensing or carry permits. It could also fall under the situation of officers in your house for a domestic or other type of report and they have reason to believe (their own, not an anonymous tip) you have a firearm in your home illegally (for instance, a box of ammo on the table).

But, would this be a "search" based on officer safety rather than "reasonable search and seizure without a warrant"?

Not necessarily. An officer may ask on a traffic stop (or if they are in your home) if they may search your vehicle. You have the right to *refuse*, but they may ask based on reasonable suspicion or probable cause. There are certain instances where even if you refuse, they still have a right to search.

If there is no gun or ammunition or any other gun-related equipment in plain view, I don't think the vehicle could be searched, could it?

No, although there may be some circumstances where an officer asks if you have any weapons and may ask to search. An active OOP comes to mind. Then again, if the officer has reason to believe you are under the influence or smells an odor of cannabis, for instance, they may search the vehicle, and if a weapon is found, that becomes part of the investigation.

Items in plain view are "discoverable" but again in the DV instance, would that be "reasonable" or would that be "officer safety"?

Reasonable, depending on the circumstances. Keep in mind, one of the first things I ask when I answer a call for a domestic is "Are there any weapons in the house?". That's part officer safety, part knowing if someone has the potential to shoot someone between the time we get the call and the time officers get there. It may also come into play if the offender leaves the home and may take the weapon with them.

Now, in the case of you calling an officer to your house to make an identity theft report, that's a completely different scenario and there would need to be heavy probable cause to investigate illegal weapons possession. It's still possible, though.

In both the vehicle and residence, would that reasonable search without a warrant cover anything illegal found, such as drugs. Most cases I am familiar with in a vehicle stop, a person can be patted down for officer safety but if drugs are discovered, you need to get the person to admit they are drugs or they are not discoverable.

Huh? You need to get the person to "admit"? Then why are there field THC kits? I have worked plenty of calls where someone was pulled over for a suspension or other traffic related incident and drugs were found in the vehicle during a search. There have also been times where the officer has found a gun and asked us to check for a valid FOID. Luckily, CCW permits are attached to DL's in IL, so we have that info up front if needed.

myleetlepony
Herd Member

Postby myleetlepony » Thu Oct 15, 2015 9:42 pm

Tabby wrote:
We actually do allow inspection of motor vehicles, depending on where you live. For example, your state might have emission and safety testing requirements for which you have to provide evidence for in order to renew you plates or license. You consent to these conditions when you buy a car. Why wouldn't you consent to something similar when buying a gun? An inspection doesn't always involve an in person search of premises but merely the provision of evidence that you are in compliance with the law.

True, there are emissions testing and some states require safety checks, but those are usually non-invasive.

What would constitute a "provision of evidence" that you are in compliance with firearm storage laws?

Most states already require some sort of Firearm Owner Identification cards to prove that you passed laws to obtain a firearm.

Tabby
Herd Member

Postby Tabby » Thu Oct 15, 2015 10:25 pm

Perhaps if gun registries had an expiration date the way vehicle registries do? You could have to renew your application every so many years and potentially even a medical check for mental health issues. If you've acquired a certain number of additional guns (or additional types of guns) you could have to provide evidence that you took a course on gun storage or that you have the facilities for the required storage. These could be provided for in the form of receipts or plenty of other non-invasive ways. There are lots and lots of ways to draw up the actual rules.

We have gun control here and cops aren't running around visiting gun owner's searching their homes day in and day out. Just like nobody comes around to check that your vehicle registration is up to date and you have the proper safety/emission checks - only when your registration expires.

myleetlepony
Herd Member

Postby myleetlepony » Thu Oct 15, 2015 10:53 pm

Tabby wrote:Perhaps if gun registries had an expiration date the way vehicle registries do? You could have to renew your application every so many years and potentially even a medical check for mental health issues. If you've acquired a certain number of additional guns (or additional types of guns) you could have to provide evidence that you took a course on gun storage or that you have the facilities for the required storage. These could be provided for in the form of receipts or plenty of other non-invasive ways. There are lots and lots of ways to draw up the actual rules.

We have gun control here and cops aren't running around visiting gun owner's searching their homes day in and day out. Just like nobody comes around to check that your vehicle registration is up to date and you have the proper safety/emission checks - only when your registration expires.

I am not necessarily against required on-going training for FOID or CCW holders. However, further legislation and enforcement, as well as administering training and screenings are going to skyrocket the costs of gun ownership which will start to enter the realm of it being an "elitist" hobby. Most Americans are not going to go for that, nor are they going to go for the tax increases these programs would cost.

Yes, part of this mindset comes from the ideology that all Americans are equal, and there shouldn't be preferences given to people who can "afford it". You are talking about changing thought processes and beliefs that have been in place for hundreds of years. Yes, it could be changeable if there was money to put into place new legislation, regulations, testing and screening and that became the "new norm". But, there isn't, so you are coming at this from a place that you have to convince people that this is for the "greater good" and then convince people it's worth funding.

The subject of search and seizure came up as a tangent when the person from the UK mentioned that officials would come around and check residences for compliance. Do I think that would happen here in the US? Doubtful.

Maybe this should be in the other thread about "what changed", but I would like to add further about cause. I think since the Boyscouts programs have become less popular (taught gun safety), and moving towards more suburban and urban environments, gun handling and safety education has gone by the wayside.

Being that I and my SO have guns (his for his job, my for competition and now hobby), we have been very adamant about teaching his son gun handling and safety. Up until recently, he was told in no uncertain terms that if he saw a gun ANYWHERE (in our home or a friend's) that he was to leave the room and alert an adult. As of about 2 years ago, the SO would make time to sit down with him with an unloaded and open gun, and let him handle it with the caveat that he was not to point it at anyone or any animals. He became familiar with guns and how they work. Last weekend, my SO and my brother took the time to teach him how to shoot, one bullet in the gun at a time. They went over safety and range rules with him, and quizzed him throughout the day about them. He is now aware of the damage they can do, how to work the safety, and how to unload a gun. I am not ready to let him have free reign around a firearm, but he was very serious about learning all of this.

I think part of the fallacy is that we make guns a big taboo thing that are dangerous and then they become a curiosity. If there were more programs where kids learned about them, how they work, and what damage they can cause (outside the fantasy of movies and video games), we would probably at least make a dent in accidental shootings by kids and even some young adults.

WheresMyWhite
500 post plus club

Postby WheresMyWhite » Fri Oct 16, 2015 12:12 am

myleetlepony wrote:I think part of the fallacy is that we make guns a big taboo thing that are dangerous and then they become a curiosity. If there were more programs where kids learned about them, how they work, and what damage they can cause (outside the fantasy of movies and video games), we would probably at least make a dent in accidental shootings by kids and even some young adults.

MLP, thank you for the detailed response. Some of what you say may be true for your state (I am sure it is) but may not be true for a different state.

But your comment above I absolutely agree with. Would more knowledge make all accidental shootings stop? No. But, as I said in one of the posts... teaching children about guns and how devastating they can be and what a real-life dead animal looks like might make a dent. Children now are so far removed from some of the realities of life they don't understand much of the full circle of life.

Alex
Herd Member

Postby Alex » Fri Oct 16, 2015 3:38 am

I wish I could say I agree w/you on children not recognizing the circle of life and death but I believe they do. Or, rather, I am sure that all but the youngest recognize what KILLING MEANS because they see so much of it on TV and in magazines and they read about murders everywhere. Certainly that 11-year old boy knew he was going to kill his neighbor over a PRESUMED INSULT — the refusal to introduce the neighbor's puppy to him and his puppy. That emotion is otherwise known as RAGE. There's a reason why such rage is described as "seeing red," aka, seeing blood.

WheresMyWhite
500 post plus club

Postby WheresMyWhite » Fri Oct 16, 2015 3:40 pm

I don't have children but IMO seeing someone/something 'killed' on TV is not the same as looking a dead animal in the dead eyes and really understanding death and that there is no coming back to life. Gone, gone, gone.

I also question if 11 year olds can feel 'rage' vs the temper tantrum of wanting something that they can't have or doesn't happen... are they capable of 'rage' at that age?

BlueMayPop
Greenie

Postby BlueMayPop » Sat Oct 17, 2015 1:04 am

Chancellor wrote:
We are obviously on opposite sides of this topic but I agree with your last statement too.
FYI, I am not a gun owner at all but I do believe in being allowed to have them.
So, okay, your example of the driving too slowly, I might want to do that to people every day on my commute but I know that in my heart, this is wrong.
And I wouldn't do it. (I might however, flip said woman off if she is plopping along in the fast lane)
I think that making gun laws stricter is a good idea. I don't think outlawing them is a proper answer, however.

Well, what most people want is just way stricter regulation on guns. It's never been about an outright ban. That's a red herring. Even the UK allows hunting weapons (with proper restrictions) and even some handgun ownership.

BlueMayPop
Greenie

Postby BlueMayPop » Sat Oct 17, 2015 1:06 am

PaulaO wrote:I have always stayed out of the political forum because I cannot articulate my thoughts. I believe handguns should be outlawed. Period. Nobody needs a gun. Period. I will cut some slack for hunters. But normal, every day people do not need guns for self-defense or to protect their homes. And certainly not for recreational use. I believe a lot of gun violence is done by people with mental health problems. Those problems are closely related.

Yes! We need a "like" button here :)

WheresMyWhite
500 post plus club

Postby WheresMyWhite » Sat Oct 17, 2015 1:33 am

And so we have someone who believes handguns should be outlawed with very few exceptions and someone else who agrees and a third person who says tin's not about an outright ban and that's a red herring...

And you wonder why I don't trust the gub'ment...

BlueMayPop
Greenie

Postby BlueMayPop » Sat Oct 17, 2015 1:53 am

WheresMyWhite wrote:For the most part, the warrant must state the probable cause (what are you looking for and why) for the search and it must be signed by a judge and is good for usually only a few days. When you watch entertaining shows like Law & Order, what you see isn't always "legal" in the real world; but it sure makes for entertaining TV ;)

I am NOT an attorney nor a constitutional scholar, just making a few observations that could easily have some cases which contradict what I said.

There can be warrantless searches in the case of "exigent circumstances", meaning when a crime is about to be committed or a suspect is about to escape, etc.

BlueMayPop
Greenie

Postby BlueMayPop » Sat Oct 17, 2015 1:57 am

WheresMyWhite wrote:And so we have someone who believes handguns should be outlawed with very few exceptions and someone else who agrees and a third person who says tin's not about an outright ban and that's a red herring...

What is your point here? As I said, there is almost never an outright ban on all weapons. Talking as though an total ban is in the offing is a red herring.

BlueMayPop
Greenie

Postby BlueMayPop » Sat Oct 17, 2015 2:04 am

Wow. I could have sworn that I posted a quote by former Republican Chief Justice of the SC, Warren Burger, about the 2nd amendment, but I don't see it.

A fraud on the American public.” That’s how former Chief Justice Warren Burger described the idea that the Second Amendment gives an unfettered individual right to a gun. When he spoke these words to PBS in 1990, the rock-ribbed conservative appointed by Richard Nixon was expressing the longtime consensus of historians and judges across the political spectrum.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/ ... z3omq3dcMo

WheresMyWhite
500 post plus club

Postby WheresMyWhite » Sat Oct 17, 2015 1:07 pm

[quote="BlueMayPop"There can be warrantless searches in the case of "exigent circumstances", meaning when a crime is about to be committed or a suspect is about to escape, etc.[/quote]

I know that...

carpevita
Herd Member

Postby carpevita » Sat Oct 17, 2015 4:00 pm

Unread postby BlueMayPop » Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:04 pm

Well, what most people want is just way stricter regulation on guns. It's never been about an outright ban. That's a red herring.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PaulaO wrote:
I have always stayed out of the political forum because I cannot articulate my thoughts. I believe handguns should be outlawed. Period. Nobody needs a gun. Period. I will cut some slack for hunters. But normal, every day people do not need guns for self-defense or to protect their homes. And certainly not for recreational use. I believe a lot of gun violence is done by people with mental health problems. Those problems are closely related.

BlueMayPop posted--"Yes! We need a "like" button here :)

Well which is it? An outright ban as Paula suggests or 'its never been about an outright ban" ?

I am ALL FOR stricter gun controls, but you just LIKED the suggestion of an outright ban---do you see why gun owners do not trust your intentions?

smithywess
Greenie

Postby smithywess » Sat Oct 17, 2015 11:28 pm

WheresMyWhite wrote: ...I ask as much what on earth has gotten people to think that this level of violence is acceptable... when did that happen?? Shooting someone because they didn't show you their puppy? Shooting someone because they were driving too slow??

Seems to me there is more than guns going on. Guns have been around for many years and yet the level of violence in using them is escalating. Why?

WMW,

Why you ask? Because of the monumental cultural regression that has enveloped Western democracies over the past 50 years.

Tabby
Herd Member

Postby Tabby » Sun Oct 18, 2015 12:46 pm

carpevita wrote:
I am ALL FOR stricter gun controls, but you just LIKED the suggestion of an outright ban---do you see why gun owners do not trust your intentions?

This is exactly why you need to get involved and help to shape any new regulations or controls. Instead of knee-jerk refusals to even consider gun control, take a proactive stance and state exactly what level of control (and enforcement) you feel would both address the problem and be appropriate for protecting 2nd amendment rights. It's not a black and white issue.

BlueMayPop
Greenie

Postby BlueMayPop » Sun Oct 18, 2015 4:02 pm

Carpevita: I think handguns should be banned but hunting weapons allowed in certain circumstances--very much as it is in the UK. They allow handgun use for target shooting, I think, but the gun must be kept in a secure locker at the gun range.

boots-aregard
Herd Member

Postby boots-aregard » Mon Oct 19, 2015 3:30 pm

CanadianTrotter wrote:
As far as I'm concerned, Australia has set an excellent example of how and why gun deaths/violence can be significantly lessened and lowered.

I see absolutely no reason why the US cannot or will not follow suit and I sincerely hope they do... the sooner the better.

I remember a poster on another board saying that they believed their country(the US) to be an embarrassment because it is a first world country with a third world country's behaviour.

Other things to bear in mind are that Australia, like the U.S. was a frontier country (and thus has similar "brave man alone" mythos to our "wild west"). They have wide open spaces with animals that need handling. (Not as many really dangerous animals as the U.S. perhaps. I don't think Australia has bears, for example, but certainly there are uses for guns in ranch country).

With the Australian example, we aren't looking at Norway or "old Europe", where cultures can be said to diverge more significantly. In Australia, men are men and many of the women are men ;) , but they don't seem to feel the same need to cling to their guns for some kind of masculinity.

The major difference between Australia and the U.S. *might* be the strength of the NRA and the fallout therefrom. Or we 'Murkins may just have far greater political dysfunction than Australia (though I'm sure some Australian is going to jump up and contradict me on that one.) or have destroyed our educational system more thoroughly. I'm not scholar enough to know. ;) Our gun problems seem driven by paranoia (at least as much as by small sexual parts), and we can look to the NRA for that one.

boots-aregard
Herd Member

Postby boots-aregard » Mon Oct 19, 2015 3:32 pm

WheresMyWhite wrote:And so we have someone who believes handguns should be outlawed with very few exceptions and someone else who agrees and a third person who says tin's not about an outright ban and that's a red herring...

I wonder why you figure these two people somehow == "the gub'ment", but you do not.

WheresMyWhite
500 post plus club

Postby WheresMyWhite » Mon Oct 19, 2015 5:02 pm

boots-aregard wrote:I wonder why you figure these two people somehow == "the gub'ment", but you do not.

This place fascinates me. It is becoming way too much work to have to clarify every single thing that I say because it appears to be misconstrued or taken out of context.

boots-aregard
Herd Member

Postby boots-aregard » Mon Oct 19, 2015 6:53 pm

WheresMyWhite wrote:
boots-aregard wrote:I wonder why you figure these two people somehow == "the gub'ment", but you do not.

This place fascinates me. It is becoming way too much work to have to clarify every single thing that I say because it appears to be misconstrued or taken out of context.

I didn't link the two thoughts. You did. I share your frustration at having comments taken out of context, but perhaps you can be clearer?

BlueMayPop
Greenie

Postby BlueMayPop » Tue Oct 20, 2015 12:58 am

boots-aregard wrote:Other things to bear in mind are that Australia, like the U.S. was a frontier country (and thus has similar "brave man alone" mythos to our "wild west"). They have wide open spaces with animals that need handling. (Not as many really dangerous animals as the U.S. perhaps. I don't think Australia has bears, for example, but certainly there are uses for guns in ranch country).

With the Australian example, we aren't looking at Norway or "old Europe", where cultures can be said to diverge more significantly. In Australia, men are men and many of the women are men ;) , but they don't seem to feel the same need to cling to their guns for some kind of masculinity.

The major difference between Australia and the U.S. *might* be the strength of the NRA and the fallout therefrom. Or we 'Murkins may just have far greater political dysfunction than Australia (though I'm sure some Australian is going to jump up and contradict me on that one.) or have destroyed our educational system more thoroughly. I'm not scholar enough to know. ;) Our gun problems seem driven by paranoia (at least as much as by small sexual parts), and we can look to the NRA for that one.

Yes! Very good analysis :) :)

BlueMayPop
Greenie

Postby BlueMayPop » Tue Oct 20, 2015 1:02 am

WheresMyWhite wrote:

Nope. You just weren't clear, that's all. Boots's comment made perfect sense.

Your comment went from quoting some of us on the BB to saying "and people wonder why I don't trust the gub'ment." How are the two connected? How did you get from A to P?

FlyingLily
Novice

Postby FlyingLily » Tue Oct 20, 2015 12:25 pm

Well I live in Texas so there is just no reasonable conversation about guns. This is the most gun-crazy spot on the planet, I hope. The Texas legislature recently passed a law specifically for university campuses, mandating that concealed-carry be permitted. I work at a university campus, and I deal with depressed and anxious students every day, and some days angry ones as well. This is not going to be good.

But we should always follow the money, IMO. Guns are big business in the U.S., just as U.S. weapons are big business globally. Here's a 2012 article with some of the gun numbers.

http://business.time.com/2012/12/18/americas-gun-economy-by-the-numbers/

Ryeissa
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby Ryeissa » Wed Nov 04, 2015 5:57 pm

Last edited by Ryeissa on Sat Sep 07, 2019 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tabby
Herd Member

Postby Tabby » Wed Nov 04, 2015 7:57 pm

Ryeissa wrote:I think gun control is taking focus away from where it needs to be -- mental illness, health care, bullying, and violent tendencies.

Guns are not a problem, really. Access to guns is not the problem.

War on drugs, war on alcohol-- why do people think (more) gun control will succeed where these other efforts have failed?

Because every other nation that has more gun control has succeeded despite ALSO having wars on drugs, alcohol and all the same mental illnesses and issues with bullying, healthcare and violent tendencies and pretty much any other thing that has been blamed. I would argue that these other things are distracting the focus from where it needs to be - gun control - except that there really hasn't been any focus on any of those things at all aside from placing blame. If you really were "focused" on any of them, you'd be seeing mental health research and treatment facilities popping up every where and anti-bullying rallies and protests going on. You aren't because nobody is actually focused on any of that stuff either.

Tuffytown
Herd Member

Postby Tuffytown » Wed Nov 04, 2015 8:07 pm

Exactly, it's a diversion. Don't look at the man behind the curtain, look over there. That's were the fault lays, all the while nothing is done at all.

xhltsalute
Greenie

Postby xhltsalute » Fri Nov 06, 2015 9:43 am

One step at a time, until a nihilistic gun culture is only a thing of memory.

CanadianTrotter
Herd Member

Postby CanadianTrotter » Fri Nov 06, 2015 1:20 pm

xhltsalute wrote:One step at a time, until a nihilistic gun culture is only a thing of memory.

It's on my wish list.

WheresMyWhite
500 post plus club

Postby WheresMyWhite » Fri Nov 06, 2015 3:22 pm

xhltsalute wrote:One step at a time, until a nihilistic gun culture is only a thing of memory.

Interesting comment...

You referring to the 'terrorist' aspect of nihilism or rejection of established laws or ??

KathyK

Postby KathyK » Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:09 pm

WheresMyWhite wrote:

Interesting comment...

You referring to the 'terrorist' aspect of nihilism or rejection of established laws or ??

I think the most commonly used meaning is "rejecting all religious and moral principles in the belief that life is meaningless." (Except, of course, for unborn life, which seems to have value to a lot of the gun lovers.) That's the one I'd use to describe the gun culture.

WheresMyWhite
500 post plus club

Postby WheresMyWhite » Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:48 pm

KathyK wrote:
WheresMyWhite wrote:

Interesting comment...

I think the most commonly used meaning is "rejecting all religious and moral principles in the belief that life is meaningless." (Except, of course, for unborn life, which seems to have value to a lot of the gun lovers.) That's the one I'd use to describe the gun culture.

Ok.
a viewpoint that traditional values and beliefs are unfounded and that existence is senseless and useless

From... http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/nihilism

So, using the above definition which is close to what KathyK said (dictionary.com didn't have this definition), it seems to me that there is a bit of a conflict within the use of the word... the "gun culture" probably does have a viewpoint that traditional values and beliefs are *founded*, not unfounded, no?

As for existence being senseless or useless - not sure that I think that applies to the gun culture either...

Code3
Herd Member

Postby Code3 » Sun Nov 08, 2015 3:37 pm

WheresMyWhite wrote:I don't have children but IMO seeing someone/something 'killed' on TV is not the same as looking a dead animal in the dead eyes and really understanding death and that there is no coming back to life. Gone, gone, gone.

I totally agree with this. It isn't "real" on TV. The person who died appears on another channel in another show. In video games, the kids get points for killing, it's how they rack up their score. They do not understand that death is final.

myleetlepony, great posts.

Figgy
Herd Member

Postby Figgy » Mon Nov 16, 2015 10:30 am

WhereismyWhite -

here is a link to the rules for obtaining a gun licence in Queensland (Australia, I know americans are bad at geography) ;-)
from there you can follow the reasons, storage requirements, permits to acquire a licence etc - its all publically available - the responsibility is placed on you as the potential gun owner to prove that you are a proper and fit person to own a gun

none of this rubbish about buying the gun on a whim and then leaving it loaded for the toddlers to play with.

WheresMyWhite
500 post plus club

Postby WheresMyWhite » Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:36 pm

Figgy wrote:here is a link to the rules for obtaining a gun licence in Queensland (Australia, I know americans are bad at geography) ;-)
from there you can follow the reasons, storage requirements, permits to acquire a licence etc - its all publically available - the responsibility is placed on you as the potential gun owner to prove that you are a proper and fit person to own a gun

none of this rubbish about buying the gun on a whim and then leaving it loaded for the toddlers to play with.

I actually do know where Queensland is.

I am happy for you that Oz places the responsibility as a potential gun owner to prove that I am a proper and fit person (no, don't know what that really is and didn't read the link as I have no plans to move to Oz in my lifetime.)

In many states, handguns do have a waiting period.

If someone leaves a loaded gun for toddlers to play with, then they should, IMO, be charged with a crime.

Tabby
Herd Member

Postby Tabby » Tue Nov 17, 2015 12:06 am

WheresMyWhite wrote:If someone leaves a loaded gun for toddlers to play with, then they should, IMO, be charged with a crime.

So what crime would you charge them with? No crime leaving a gun sitting around, regardless of who is nearby that might get their hands on it. Could it be that we have reached a common ground - that there is a small piece to this issue that we can agree on? I'd be happy to see a law against this and have it enforced. It would be a great start.

WheresMyWhite
500 post plus club

Postby WheresMyWhite » Tue Nov 17, 2015 12:13 am

Tabby wrote:
WheresMyWhite wrote:If someone leaves a loaded gun for toddlers to play with, then they should, IMO, be charged with a crime.

So what crime would you charge them with? No crime leaving a gun sitting around, regardless of who is nearby that might get their hands on it. Could it be that we have reached a common ground - that there is a small piece to this issue that we can agree on? I'd be happy to see a law against this and have it enforced. It would be a great start.

Tabby, you are right, there needs to be a law that addresses this issue. Having said that, would this not be covered under child endangerment (I honestly have no idea).

I was more thinking along the lines of the toddler using said gun (or knife or whatever they find laying around that they should not have access to) and serious injury or death results, charge the parents with, at a minimum, negligence. So, are there not already laws that could cover this?

Unfortunately, no laws on being a stupid parent...

Tabby
Herd Member

Postby Tabby » Tue Nov 17, 2015 1:06 am

The laws that cover this now only apply after the toddler has been maimed or killed. Why not laws to prevent it in the first place? Is it too much to ask to require people to store firearms safely? And it doesn't have to involve regular inspections or anything - but a hefty fine if you happen to be caught. It won't prevent all deaths - as you implied stupidity runs rampant even among parents. But it may deter some. I've got to run right now but I have a rather hilarious story along these lines - I'll be back soon.

Code3
Herd Member

Postby Code3 » Tue Nov 17, 2015 1:34 am

In Oregon the parent would be charged with Reckless Endangerment.

Tabby
Herd Member

Postby Tabby » Tue Nov 17, 2015 1:40 am

Not that long ago, my father in law died of colon cancer. He'd battled it for nearly 2 years and he was starting to fail badly. As it was his wish to die at home, they brought in a hospital bed and set it up in the front room. Every day he had visits from doctors, palliative care nurses, personal care workers, the pastor and a parade of family and friends. One day was particularly busy with visitors (including us) - MIL and SIL (who was staying there to help) were both exhausted. FIL was still mobile at the time but he was whooped and in bed by 8:00. Around 8:30 there was loud banging on the front door. It was so loud FIL came running out of the front room with his IV and slippers. They opened the door to the swat team and about 6 cruisers surrounding their house with their lights flashing demanding to see the gun. It was rather terrifying and they didn't know what they were talking about. The cops were terrified of FIL in his flimsy pjs hauling an IV unit. It turns out, the "gun" in question was a WATER gun that my in-laws had started keeping on the front table to squirt at the cats whenever they try to escape - which was pretty often given the number of people in and out of the house at the time. It was a very old water gun - before they made regulations that water guns couldn't look like real guns. But to say this looked like a real gun was pretty hilarious also. Anyway, I guess the guy delivering his morphine saw it on the table and got concerned so he phoned the cops. Everybody had a good laugh about it once they figured out what it was. The cops even offered to drive out with their sirens on to give the neighbours something to gossip about. Excitement like this is rare in these old age communities and 8:30 is probably far too late to rely on some nosy neighbour watching outside. If you try to tell them the next day, nobody would believe you.

Naturally, neither cat appeared during the whole event.

Anyway - this is an example of how laws can be enforced without inspection. Had that been a real gun, the cops could have confiscated it (remember this is Canada). They would have been fined for leaving it out in the open like that. They did recommend that my in-laws put the gun someplace else but there was so much traffic at the front door, they really needed it there so MIL put a magazine on top of it so it wasn't visible.

I can still make her laugh by reminding her of this. I might buy her a super soaker for Christmas so she can retire the (not so) real-looking gun.

myleetlepony
Herd Member

Postby myleetlepony » Tue Nov 17, 2015 2:26 am

Again, Tabby, you are talking about changing an *ingrained mindset* of a country that feels this sort of thing is against their civil liberties.

I don't see that changing any time soon.

Let me ask you this...in the above referenced story, was the water gun visible from someone standing outside the house? At least in my state, someone stating they saw something inside a home, without the police being able to verify from the outside would not be a legal search. We couldn't even knock on the door (violent crimes, domestics and certain felonies are excluded from this; I don't EVER foresee an unsecured firearm in a private residence being a felony in the US).

emmalou
Novice

Postby emmalou » Tue Nov 17, 2015 4:50 am

California has a law against leaving unsecured loaded weapons where a kid can reach them.

myleetlepony
Herd Member

Postby myleetlepony » Tue Nov 17, 2015 6:09 am

Emmalou, can that law be preemptive or is it used after an incident has occurred?

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Tue Nov 17, 2015 1:14 pm

You all realize that Paris has pretty strict gun control laws? But people with the desire to do harm were still able to acquire and use them.

I see things circulating about how women with guns in the house are more likely to be killed than women without. however the study did not compare anything else. So, are you more likely to have a gun in the home if you live in a dangerous area, probably, so without ruling out socio political circumstances none of these statistics have any meaning at all.

You have to prove causation for science to matter, not simply correlation. anyway, i am not opposed to laws about number and use of weapons, but there is still a giant weird black hole about this idea that if there are more laws, people who are obviously going to break the law will suddenly be controlled.

emmalou
Novice

Postby emmalou » Tue Nov 17, 2015 5:25 pm

myleetlepony wrote:Emmalou, can that law be preemptive or is it used after an incident has occurred?

It's called Criminal Storage of a Firearm. I think it's preemptive but how would the police know you keep a weapon around kids unless something terrible happened or they entered your home for other reasons?

A year or so ago a kid and his friend were playing in the garage, found a loaded gun and one shot and killed the other. The Dad was charged. I don't know what happened to that case.

*I also don't know if this is a misdemeanor or felony.

Most of my close friends/family in California have guns but all of them keep them unloaded in gun safes, even if they don't have kids. I don't know anyone that keeps a gun in a drawer, under their mattress, etc.

Figgy
Herd Member

Postby Figgy » Sat Nov 28, 2015 12:28 am

yes gun crimes can occur in countries with strict gun laws. The identified problem here is illegal guns, stolen guns. Usually guns stolen from farms and old guns. They caught a bloke in Sydney the other week walking around with a world war 2 model machine gun. However, instead of taking it for granted that a man would be walking around Sydney's inner city with a gun, locals called police and police arrested him very quickly.

I'm watching the unfolding story of the gunman holed up in an abortion clinic in Colorado. The key difference between France and the US, or Australia and the US is that where a mass shooting is a 'one off' or 'irregular' occurrence, in the US mass shootings are a routine occurrence. ISIS getting hold of some guns and going on a rampage in a US city will be upstaged within a few days there because of the frequency of shootings.

I live alone. I don't keep a gun in my house. I live in a rougher part of my city, I don't live in fear. I don't live in fear of baddies breaking into my house and robbing me. I catch the trains home late at night from the city and confidently walk from the train station to my dark empty house and i'm not concerned that I might get mugged or shot or attacked. That's the key difference. We have police, lots of police, they're off dealing with domestic violence, the drug affected and the alcohol fuelled violence, but I know they will arrive pretty quick if I need them. I can go for a run early in the morning or evening around my suburb and not be fearful of being shot. I can pull up and help a stranger change the tyre on their car and not be afraid of being attacked or shot or robbed at gunpoint.

I like living in a country where I am not afraid. Gun control laws contribute to that sense of safety.

WheresMyWhite
500 post plus club

Postby WheresMyWhite » Sat Nov 28, 2015 1:07 am

Figgy wrote:I'm watching the unfolding story of the gunman holed up in an abortion clinic in Colorado.

Planned Parenthood is not considered an "abortion clinic" by many.

Figgy wrote:I like living in a country where I am not afraid. Gun control laws contribute to that sense of safety.

I like living in this country and I don't find myself particularly afraid either.

To me, gun control laws may mean that I am not legally able to own a gun if I choose which I then may be to use to defend myself. Gun control laws don't help me feel safer.

No one is asking you to move to the US. I'm not asking you to understand what the 2nd Amendment means to some of us.

IN MY OPINION.

Frankly, this incident to which you refer makes me sad as I know exactly where it happened. No, I haven't been to that Planned Parenthood but I lived in Colorado Springs for over 30 years and have driven by that intersection many times...

Tabby
Herd Member

Postby Tabby » Sun Nov 29, 2015 10:28 pm

I wonder if that is the fundamental difference between the pro-gun control and anti-gun control. What it is that makes you feel safe. I also feel safer in the confidence that anybody I might come across late at night, in the dark, even in my home - doesn't have a gun. Or likely doesn't. That makes me feel far safer than I would having my own gun. My own gun would be somewhere in a drawer out of sight - out of the way of children who do occasionally come in my home. Even if someone broke into my house at night and I had a loaded gun in my bedside table, would I have the foresight to grab it and shoot the guy? What if it was my adult son coming home for the night because his girlfriend dumped him and threw him out? Truly, the number of times I have wished I have had a gun at hand is exactly zero. The number of times a gun at hand might have resulted in horrific consequences - infinite. I feel far, far safer while guns are hard to get.

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”