Mercedes, my teacher

Topic for older horses and older riders
iriedogs
Greenie

Mercedes, my teacher

Postby iriedogs » Tue Oct 20, 2015 1:48 am

Mercedes 2.jpg
Mercedes 2.jpg (50.82 KiB) Viewed 10746 times
All of the horses I have ridden have taught me something. But there have only been a handful that I consider my real teachers. The definition of a teacher is “one who instructs”. This mare instructed me, at times whether I felt that I needed it or not. Mercedes knew best. She always did.

Mercedes was my first chance to ride a true “schoolmaster”. Although she was already a senior citizen when I met her, and her physical limitations got worse as the years went by, that lady could really turn it on and deliver when she wanted to. Thanks to her, I felt what an extended trot with lots of suspension was supposed to feel like, what a correct piaffe was, and what a thrill riding passage was. And the fact that I was able to show her- I am so glad to say I was the last one to “X-halt-salute” with that grand dame in the dressage ring.

This morning, her 30 year old body finally quit on her. The arthritis, the hocks, the old injuries, the cold weather… they all ganged up on her to tell her it was time. And now one of my best teachers is gone. Rest in Peace, Mercedes. The grand dame, the divine Miss M., one of the best horses I have ever ridden, and one of the best teachers I have known.

She wasn’t even my horse- she belonged to a friend- but I loved her like she was mine. I like to think we taught each other some important things, but I know what she taught me was far more important and valuable than what I taught her. We did love to commiserate about being old women, creaky and sore together.

Sweet Mercedes, the grand lady of the barn, and teacher extraordinare. The 30 year old Trakehener mare who was said to have been a German import, had a successful show career in Florida, and then passed into several homes in several states, until she found herself in need of rescue about 8 years ago. Her current owner saw what no one else could see, got her out of the bad situation, and brought her back to a bit of her former glory, if only for a short while. And after she retired, she had green pastures and warm bran mashes and good company for all her days. She had a good later life and made an impression on everyone she knew. Rest in peace, sweet Mercedes. Gallop free.
Attachments
TRTT 054a.jpg
TRTT 054a.jpg (106.25 KiB) Viewed 10746 times
Mercedes 3.jpg
Mercedes 3.jpg (122.97 KiB) Viewed 10746 times

Josette
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: Mercedes, my teacher

Postby Josette » Tue Oct 20, 2015 1:57 am

What a lovely mare and I'm sorry for loss. Very glad she lived her later years well loved and cared for by you and her owner.

westisbest
Herd Member

Postby westisbest » Tue Oct 20, 2015 2:16 am

I'm so sorry for your loss. What a beautiful face she has. The age is evident but so is the kindness and the wisdom. Those true teachers are so valuable and they need to be treasured. Clearly she was to make it to 30.

iriedogs
Greenie

Postby iriedogs » Tue Oct 20, 2015 2:36 am

Thank you. It has been a sad day here, but tonight I have been going through my pictures and remembering the good times. And she brought us a lot of good times. We knew this day would be coming, but dreaded thinking about it. So happy to have been able to be a part of her life.

demi

Postby demi » Tue Oct 20, 2015 3:49 am

sorry about Mercedes...she sounds like she was a good, good girl.

I remember a horse from the Pleasanton, CA area that was called the Divine Miss M. She was colored like your horse, too. It must have been 25 years ago. She was shown in dressage by a successful trainer who's name I can' remember.

musical comedy

Postby musical comedy » Tue Oct 20, 2015 1:08 pm

Oh my, I'm tearing up. Forgive me if this sounds selfish, but every time I read a post like this it becomes personal. I know that I will probably outlive my guy, and I fret constantly about the when and the what if. I could handle him dying peacefully of old age, but I can't handle suffering at all. I become a basket case when a horse is sick or hurt.

Irie, you are so fortunate to have had the pleasure of riding and bonding with such a wonderful horse. RIP, Mercedes.

kande50

Postby kande50 » Wed Oct 21, 2015 5:57 pm

Good for her owner and good for you, for giving her a good retirement.

kande50

Postby kande50 » Wed Oct 21, 2015 6:03 pm

musical comedy wrote:I know that I will probably outlive my guy, and I fret constantly about the when and the what if.

I'm afraid I won't outlive mine, which worries me way more than making good decisions about when it's time. I've had a lot of practice at deciding when it's time, and while I've made some mistakes I learned from them, and now like to think that I'm much better at it than I was before.

I also have no problem with death, as long as I'm confident that I've done everything I can to help avoid suffering.

Kyra's Mom
500 post plus club

Postby Kyra's Mom » Thu Oct 22, 2015 5:06 am

What beautiful sentiments for a wonderful old horse. My condolences.

Susan

iriedogs
Greenie

Postby iriedogs » Sun Oct 25, 2015 1:09 pm

Thank you, everyone. We had a graveside service for her on Thursday. I know that seems a little unusual, but it gave us all a sense of closure. Since she was buried in the pasture, the other horses came around, and the flowers could not stay out there after we left (tasty treats!), but we all had some good memories to share. It was a good way to say goodbye.

Return to “Senior Horses/Senior Riders”