Bittersweet

Topic for older horses and older riders
heddylamar
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Bittersweet

Postby heddylamar » Fri Aug 19, 2016 2:51 am

I said goodbye to my 36yo mare today.

Joy gave me nearly 26 years of infectious curiosity, joyfulness, and utter impatience. She left behind two generations — both redheaded mares — in Anzia and Maia (Anzia's offspring). The former is nothing like her dam, the latter embodies many of Joy's good qualities.

The last several years have been a gift. I moved Joy 450 miles two years ago. Moving a 33yo wasn't my first choice, but it turned out to be the best choice for Joy. My wonderful, miraculous barn owner breathed life into Joy, and her last few years were pampered.

While I'd have loved to see all three generations, together, in my barn, Joy will be there in spirit — she's buried in the middle of a future pasture.

Why are you doing this to me??

When are we going? Can't hold still. This is torture.

Happiness.

Flight

Re: Bittersweet

Postby Flight » Fri Aug 19, 2016 3:09 am

Sorry for your loss!
Beautiful photos :)

Quelah
Herd Member

Postby Quelah » Fri Aug 19, 2016 4:31 am

I'm sorry you're beautiful girl had left you, but what a life and legacy she gave you.

Dapple Field
Herd Member

Postby Dapple Field » Fri Aug 19, 2016 5:15 am

You obviously took wonderful care of her for her to make it to 36! It's so hard to lose one of our friends but it must be somewhat comforting to have her girls still with you. Many condolences on her loss.

Sue B

Postby Sue B » Fri Aug 19, 2016 4:36 pm

Gorgeous pictures of a lovely, grand old gal. Thank you for sharing her story. So sorry for your loss.

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Fri Aug 19, 2016 7:08 pm

Thank you all. Joy's been a mainstay in my life for so long that making the decision to say goodbye was tough. She was inquisitive, impatient, and utterly unable to hold still right up to the last moment (there's reason for that chain!)

Joy's left behind a great big void, but I am comforted that I made the best decision for her.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Fri Aug 19, 2016 9:01 pm

It is so.hard when it's time to say goodbye. I have been the retirement/ hospice for quite a few horses, and even when they are not your own, its so hard. She has been with you for so long, it can only be even harder. I am so sorry.

Many hugs and sympathy to you.

texsuze
500 post plus club

Postby texsuze » Fri Aug 19, 2016 9:08 pm

You can see the spunk in her eyes. Her longevity is due in large part to her special place in your life.

My retiree turned 25 yesterday; he seems hale and hardy right now, so I often wonder how many more years he'll decide to share with me.

musical comedy

Postby musical comedy » Mon Aug 22, 2016 1:00 am

Condolences Heddy. It really hurts to lose a beloved pet which are family members to many of us.

Hayburner

Postby Hayburner » Mon Aug 22, 2016 1:52 am

Your pictures show the love, loyalty and friendship you two shared. May she run free and be young again in green pastures. Godspeed Joy

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Tue Aug 23, 2016 2:43 am

Enjoy the time you have Texsuze. These elders have a lot of wisdom to share.

That sparkle and running habit (yes, she still was galloping the pasture, nearly every day) were what made this whole process tough. Joy's stubborn hide kept saying "I'm fine," even when her body was swiftly declining. Unlike my other elders, there was never a clear "I'm ready," so I just had to go with my gut. This winter would have been too tough -- she'd decided eating was for the birds, and we'd run through pretty much every toothless feed option, except IV.

Joy's final hours were spent dragging me round and round the new place. We walked nearly 6 miles with her inspecting every inch, demanding to meet the neighbors, and protesting mightily by digging a hole when I tied her to the trailer so I could drink water without assistance. She was forever impatient.

Except, strangely, with my husband, Joy was patient. He rode her once, years before we married, and Ms. Can't Hold Still (jig jig jig), would barely walk for him. I wish Joy could have told me why.

I'm so grateful to have had these extra years with her.

Josette

Postby Josette » Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:58 am

I'm so sorry for your loss but glad Joy had such a long wonderful life with you.

Sunshine2Me
Herd Member

Postby Sunshine2Me » Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:18 pm

I'm sorry for your loss, but happy for the years you spent together!

redsoxluvr
Herd Member

Postby redsoxluvr » Wed Sep 14, 2016 1:44 am

Sorry for your loss. Hugs to you.

Return to “Senior Horses/Senior Riders”