reasonable work for a 26 yr. young horse (long)

Topic for older horses and older riders
VBOpie
Herd Member

reasonable work for a 26 yr. young horse (long)

Postby VBOpie » Sun Sep 11, 2016 10:08 pm

Update at end of this original post

This might be a bit long, but I need some objective perspectives. Since horse and riders are seniors, I think this is the best place for this post. Seniors are going to have a different perspective :) In January, I started 1/2 leasing an older horse (26 yrs). My horse was just retired from EPM and a couple of other issues. I wasn't ready to buy another horse, and I wanted to keep riding. I have a little bit of riding anxiety, and, when I went to meet this guy (let's call him Ranger), I knew I would be comfortable on him. A few weeks later, a friend of mind (also a senior citizen - let's call her Louise) joined me with another 1/2 lease on Ranger. Ranger's owner is not in good health, and the owner probably won't ever ride again. When we first started riding Ranger, we were told that Ranger hadn't been worked in a while and was out of shape, so we would need to take it easy. Louise likes to come out and more or less hack and I prefer to school - just basic stuff - circles, serpentines, leg yield, shoulder in, etc. This has worked out great for both of us. In the meantime, I have been looking for another horse without much luck. Louise doesn't want to buy him herself, but she would be willing to go halves (which I can't imaging being a lot of money) on him with me. One of my criteria is I want a horse with Ranger's personality, so, if I want a horse with Ranger's personality, why not Ranger?? Because he is 26 years old!!! Is that a valid reason??

Fast forward to now...Louise and I have been happily leasing Ranger. He has gotten back into shape, looks great, and we are starting to work on canter. This morning, the BO told me that the owner might sell Ranger if I don't continue the lease. My main question is how much is it fair to expect from a 26 yr. old horse? Would it be okay to show him lower levels? How about trailering? I take lessons 4 hrs. away (there is a horse available there) and clinic 2x/yr. 5 hrs. away (again, there is a horse there). Personally, I think that is too far to trailer an older horse. I think if I could show Ranger locally at lower levels, I would be happy. I would miss taking him to the clinics and the opportunity to learn on him, but being able to look forward to my rides, like I do now, is worth a lot.

Ranger has been absolutely wonderful. Neither of us ever worry when we are on this guy. I find myself perfectly confident in situations where I would probably have dismounted (my m.o. when I get nervous). Louise and I love Ranger. We were both in tears at the prospect of someone else buying him. He is the sweetest horse; we can put our granddaughters (5 and 9) on him.

One of my concerns is what happens if he becomes permanently unrideable? The BO where my retired horse is boarded commented that if Ranger has stayed sound for 26 years, that ought to say something. I know, as do we all, that nothing is guaranteed with horses. If I bought another horse, I could walk out the day after I signed the check, and something could have happened to him to render him unrideable. If Ranger was my only horse, I wouldn't care, but I am already paying board on another retired horse. Louise has land at her house and said she would fence it, and we could retire Ranger there when the time came.

Ranger wears bar shoes on front, and it was implied that he was navicular. In the course of discussions today, it was revealed that Ranger had xrays taken a few years ago, and while he was never formally diagnosed with navicular, since he needs the barred shoes to stay sound, it was decided that navicular must be the reason. However, I don't think that Ranger has, for the most part, ever had particularly good farrier work done.

This is what I am thinking of doing...taking Ranger to a good vet, having his feet xrayed and finding out exactly what is going on with his feet. In my mind, at this point, if he isn't navicular, then I think that might sway me to look on taking him more favorably. I'm also thinking of consulting with a vet about what is a reasonable amount of work for us to expect from Ranger. I just want to see what you guys think. Opine away :)

Update: Well, after a lot of drama on purchase price, Louise and I bought Ranger. After looking at some other prospects, I just couldn't ignore the voice in my head to "Buy Ranger!" It is working out great. I decided that while we have this time with Ranger, I will be putting money aside so, when the time comes, I can buy another horse. In the meantime, I am doing what I want to do. I took him to a local trainer's barn for Ranger's and my first lesson together off property. He was perfect. I was able to load him completely by myself, and he didn't take a step out of place. I'm hoping to be able to do this all winter (at least 1X week), but I will have to see if I can change my work schedule. All totalled, from load to unload at home, it was almost a six hour event. Thanks for all the words of wisdom! I will post some pictures soon.
Last edited by VBOpie on Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bailey
Herd Member

Re: reasonable work for a 26 yr. young horse (long)

Postby bailey » Sun Sep 11, 2016 10:49 pm

I'm no expert, but this is a topic near to my heart as 'my guy' is 18 1/2 now. I've owned him for 6 years and he has arthritis in his hocks. He's doing good so far on previcox and a regular work schedule. He doesn't like arena - small circle work, but he's great on the trail and going large/long in the arenas. I work him regularly, 4-5 days/week for relatively short periods and vary the work outs. A lot of my warm up and training routine I've picked up from suggestions here. My guy is so dependable and level headed it's great to relax and enjoy the ride for now. I think you're on the right track and I'd add, listen to the horse and to yourself ie what he's telling you and what you feel when you ride. Hope you keep us posted and good luck.

The calmer I am, the stronger I am.

orono
Herd Member

Postby orono » Sun Sep 11, 2016 10:56 pm

Rangers time is limited, both for work and in general. It sounds like you & Louise have an excellent relationship with him. If the owner needs to sell I would suggest buying him with Louise, and funding his retirement if/when he needs it. I don't think I would trailer him for clinics or lessons, and would continue on the current program with him.

Chisamba
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby Chisamba » Sun Sep 11, 2016 11:20 pm

we had a fit old lesson horse still show in light shows and kept healthy with light work for up to 36 years old, this is an exception,

my Fire, who i reluctantly adopted out because i knew the owner could and would give her excellent care, was fully retired for stumbling at around 29.

very few people will buy a 26 year old horse, in my opinion its a threat that is not likely to happen. but then i have very occasionally been wrong ( said tongue in cheek)

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Mon Sep 12, 2016 12:09 am

I did not answer your question, i think like work a few times a week paying close attention to what tje horse tells you

Josette

Postby Josette » Mon Sep 12, 2016 12:56 am

I would make arrangements with Louise for you both to purchase Ranger. Louise can provide a retirement home for him in the future if needed. You can both continue to enjoy him and this kind horse will have a soft landing in the future by two ladies who fell in love with him.

VBOpie
Herd Member

Postby VBOpie » Mon Sep 12, 2016 1:29 am

I sent this reply to Chisamba, but I want to share it with everyone who is following this thread, too...

Chisamba's comment about the horse that was still doing light showing @ 36 is inspiring. If Ranger and I make it 10 years, we can do our Century Ride together :)

OTOH, the fact that Chisamba is right about not many people wanting to buy a 26 yr. old makes me feel a little guilty because the reason Ranger would be sold (if not to Louise and me or I don't keep leasing) is that the owner's health issues are getting to the point that they cannot continue to support a horse. The owner has owned Ranger since Ranger was 3.

capstone
Herd Member

Postby capstone » Mon Sep 12, 2016 1:33 am

I would fully expect the "sale" price to be a nominal charge.

At 26, I would have very low expectations. As someone said, probably no shows or clinics.

orono
Herd Member

Postby orono » Mon Sep 12, 2016 2:09 am

Since he is on full lease to both of you is it still costing the owner $$? Could you come up with a formal agreement to cover all of his costs? Though at that point it would be better to take ownership of him for $1.

Srhorselady
Herd Member

Postby Srhorselady » Mon Sep 12, 2016 5:19 am

I'm still riding Freckles at 29 two to four times weekly for about 30 to 45 minutes a ride. During the summer here in Arizona we let him decide how intense and how long he worked. Until a year ago he was still doing 3rd level work. I rode Stubby until he was 28 and then retired him due to arthritic lameness. I had him until he was 33. It makes a difference if the senior horse is kept in work, they keep their condition much better then. I don't jump any of them but low level dressage and trail riding is good for them. The best thing for arthritis is moving. The cautions would be the work intensity and how long you rode. Freckles does walk, trot, and canter if he wants to. (During cooler weather he usually wants to.). He also does lateral work. We no longer ask for tempes altho he occasionally throws in a flying lead change. He IS on daily Previcox just for general anti-inflammatory and his comfort. Although he has been diagnosed with Cushings just recently and is on pergolide he is otherwise sound. One of my other senior horses is diagnosed with final stage navicular. He had been nerved several years ago but just recently we reduced his work to walk only trail horse due to the damage shown on his most recent X-rays. My vet said walk work would be fine as long as he wasn't stumbling. Until then he was still doing all the lower level dressage movements. He is 20 or 21 and has no obvious symptoms. (He was originally trained to Prix St G). Good luck with your guy. He sounds like a winner.

kande50

Postby kande50 » Mon Sep 12, 2016 10:57 am

I wouldn't do lessons or clinics on an older horse unless I knew the instructor well enough to know that they wouldn't try to push me to push my horse harder than what I thought was fair. Not because I'm too wimpy to protect my horse, but only because it would be a much more pleasant experience if the instructor was comfortable with going along with what my horse needed.

I would however, buy a 26 year old horse in a heartbeat if he was working out for me, because I'd rather get a few good years out of the right horse than have to deal with trying to find a younger horse that would work out.

I know an older woman who buys a new horse practically every year in hopes that she'll hit upon one that will work for her. But she always buys the wrong horse because so far, none of them have suited her, and she's been through about 10 horses since I met her about 10 years ago!

demi

Postby demi » Tue Sep 13, 2016 2:35 pm

I think you are doing and thinking exactly right for Ranger! I am glad he has two loving ladies and a couple of grand daughters to give his life meaning. I agree about not trailering him at this age.

Keep us posted as to what happens about the lease and stuff. AND some pictures would be nice!!

Good luck.

demi

Postby demi » Tue Sep 13, 2016 2:53 pm

demi wrote:I think you are doing and thinking exactly right for Ranger! I am glad he has two loving ladies and a couple of grand daughters to give his life meaning. I agree about not trailering him at this age.

Keep us posted as to what happens about the lease and stuff. AND some pictures would be nice!!

Good luck.

i wanted to edit to change what i said about trailering. I just meant not trailering for long distances. Short ride to the vet or something are probably fine...

calvin
Herd Member

Postby calvin » Tue Sep 13, 2016 6:21 pm

Very good questions, and thoughtful responses. Ranger surely has some useful years left given the care, love and conditioning he is now receiving. LUCKY HORSE! The x-rays are a sensible thing to do, evaluating what is seen with how he is actually doing. We often give x-rays more attention than may be warranted. My horse is 21. He works at third level work. He also hacks and does 2'6" hunter courses. Maintaining fitness (equine and human) is the real challenge. I think it is the key to keeping them healthy for a long time. Have a look at the article in one of the earlier posts in this forum, on "senior sport horses". Ranger sounds like a treasure, and younger than his chronological age!

VBOpie
Herd Member

Postby VBOpie » Thu Sep 15, 2016 12:01 am

I am talking to my vet tomorrow. A local trainer had this to say:

He is very strong and sound....and his mind is great ...take good care of him and he will do all you need for him to do...

I'll post pics soon

Return to “Senior Horses/Senior Riders”