Senior gals with senior horses

Topic for older horses and older riders
demi
500 post plus club
Posts: 929
Joined: Sun Oct 11, 2015 7:02 pm
Location: Texas

Re: Senior gals with senior horses

Postby demi » Tue Nov 03, 2015 3:34 am

Very nice article. Thanks for posting it, Westi. I used to subscribe to a couple of dressage mags but let them go years ago. I would have missed this article and it would have been my loss, because you're right, it really puts things in perspective.

A dear friend of mine is leaving her two retired barrel racers with me in a week or so while she and her husband make their annual trip to Western Heritage Days in Abilene. One of her horses, Bear Boy, is 33! She retired him at an exhibition race when he was 28. I'll post a picture of him while he's here. He still looks like a teenager.

kande50
Bringing Life to the DDBB
Posts: 1146
Joined: Sun Oct 11, 2015 7:28 pm
Location: Williamstown, MA

Re: Senior gals with senior horses

Postby kande50 » Tue Nov 03, 2015 9:40 am

musical comedy wrote:
Off the Leg: That means to me that the horse responds to the leg to go. That does not necessarily say that the horse is "in front of the leg" and especially "in front of the seat". It's like hot ottb's are very off the leg, but the are usually behind the leg. imo, of course.


I think the phrase "in front of the leg" may mean different things depending on how it's used? It seems to be similar to "on the bit", as some will say the horse is on the bit if he's literally, on the bit, while others use it to mean he's on the bit and in front of the leg and everything else, too. :-) So to some, "in front of the leg" simply means that the horse is responsive to the aids for "go", while to others it means that he goes until he's asked to stop, and to others it means that he's responsive to all the aids.

Keeping the Leg On Until He Responds to Canter: That means to me that he is not hot to the leg.


I do that, too. If I put both legs on and get either the wrong response, or a slow response, I keep them on until I get what I want. It doesn't always work well because if my horse is confused about what I want then keeping my legs on just makes him stickier, but I keep them on anyway, because I don't want to release until I get the response I'm looking for. I'm patient about it though, and realize that if he's not giving me what I'm after it's because he's confused, so I just persist until he finds the right answer (or at least one that's close enough).

My horse is neither hot to the leg nor in front of the leg naturally. It's work every single ride. (And I hate that overused "well he can feel a fly" comment. )


Just because they can feel the aid doesn't mean they know what it means. I put both legs on my horse sometimes and he goes sideways, because he just simply can't always tell if I've got both legs on, or just one.

To be honest, while I would like him to be a little more sensitive, at this point I don't think I would be brave enough to ride what he was once (and maybe still is) able to give. I know that a couple times when I was riding he spotted something out in the field and he pumped up and it felt scary. I'm sure that is what all those international horses feel like. Can you just imagine, Westi, what your guy was like galopping down to those big event fences :shock: .


Exactly where I am now, MC. If my horses are calm I'm good, but as soon as they start getting pumped up I'm not. IOW, there's no "just riding through it" anymore. If my horses get worked up now I'm very highly motivated to get them calmed down, which I think has, in many ways, made me a much better trainer because I'm never trying to push a fearful horse through his fears, but am always just calmly and quietly trying to show a calm horse what I want. IOW, I've finally reached that point where I always wanted to be: a calm, patient trainer rather than a pushy, driven one.

Josette
500 post plus club
Posts: 823
Joined: Sun Oct 11, 2015 3:53 pm
Location: NJ

Re: Senior gals with senior horses

Postby Josette » Tue Nov 03, 2015 11:40 am

westisbest - thanks for posting that article. I really enjoyed it. Lovely stories of older horses still active in riding.

I'm the 6th owner of my pony who appears to have been passed around as unsuitable for young/child riders. Huge fear and trust issues initially which we have been working on - plus some adult riders who appear to have ridden him aggressively as he is very talented. His body could do it but they messed up his mind and confidence. He is not an easy ride but I'm learning so much from him as we both progress in our riding.

demi
500 post plus club
Posts: 929
Joined: Sun Oct 11, 2015 7:02 pm
Location: Texas

Re: Senior gals with senior horses

Postby demi » Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:46 pm

We've had a lot of rain recently but still been able to ride. It's raining at the moment but hopefully it will stop long enough to get a ride in sometime today.

Yesterday I took Rocky on a nice long rein trail ride. We were both startled by a couple of young bucks but no big deal. My 69 year old friend was going to trailer over and ride with me but she cancelled at the last minute because it looked like rain. I was relieved that she cancelled because she has almost stopped riding in the last 5 years and her horse is quite a handful. He's been out of the routine too long.

I hope everyone else is getting in some rides in spite of weather and other stuff...

kande50
Bringing Life to the DDBB
Posts: 1146
Joined: Sun Oct 11, 2015 7:28 pm
Location: Williamstown, MA

Re: Senior gals with senior horses

Postby kande50 » Thu Nov 05, 2015 5:19 pm

demi wrote:My 69 year old friend was going to trailer over and ride with me but she cancelled at the last minute because it looked like rain. I was relieved that she cancelled because she has almost stopped riding in the last 5 years and her horse is quite a handful. He's been out of the routine too long.


I'm not as impatient about it now that I have more time, but before I retired I had learned to avoid trail riding with people who weren't looking for the same kinds of trail riding experiences that I was. I just felt that I had very limited time to ride so didn't want to waste any of it babysitting for riders who were too inexperienced or over-mounted.

It did take quite a few long, boring rides for me to finally figure that out, and to realize that big group rides weren't much fun, either. Although, we did learn to break up into smaller groups when we went on some of the big group rides, and that helped a lot.

Now that I have enough time I don't mind long walk rides, although it is a bit frustrating when we come to long stretches of perfect footing and can't trot because some of our companions only want to walk. :-(

I squeaked a ride in on Sting yesterday morning and then came down with some kind of a flu or something that just knocked me out. I was so tired and weak this morning (after sleeping for 12 hours!) that I could barely drag myself out the door to do chores. So when I came in I slept for another 4 hours, took some Tylenol, and now I don't feel too bad. Too tired to ride, which I'm not happy about because the weather's perfect out there, but I have short (2 hr) trail rides scheduled for both Sat & Sun, so I'll rest up and will hopefully have bounced back by then.

westisbest
Herd Member
Posts: 198
Joined: Sun Oct 11, 2015 2:12 pm
Location: S. Alberta

Re: Senior gals with senior horses

Postby westisbest » Thu Nov 05, 2015 5:34 pm

Been there, never again. Hopefully. Even with someone who I considered a BF, was out riding with her years ago, going up side of gravel road which is travelled by big rigs, she took off on me! Thankfully I had the world's best trail horse, road hacker then, my perfect Paint. I've been up to the mountains once on Mr. Big 3 years ago and it went well. However gal I went with then from my barn went last month on borrowed horse from same gal (friend who has her own place) and her bf and it did NOT go well. Bf was on a warmblood that was sold to other gal by mutual friend, known bucker and potential difficult ride, BF not much of a rider but hey! let him take a difficult warmblood that an accomplished 3rd level dressage rider and former jumper sold, after he played up eventing! to the mountains with two other mares. Yea. Did not end well. BF went on a rodeo got slammed into the trees and injured. Cannot even imagine how my horse would cope.. maybe just fine, But I'm too old and battered to find out thx very much. Also once off him, as in dismount impossible to get back on without mounting tree, rock etc. Not like my former western horses who weren't over 15'3". So no I will go out and hack around the property on my own but am super leary of road trips with anyone except a trusted companion. And even then,

Been in a course for two days, now off to work for the whole weekend at a Xmas market. No horse time!

kande50
Bringing Life to the DDBB
Posts: 1146
Joined: Sun Oct 11, 2015 7:28 pm
Location: Williamstown, MA

Re: Senior gals with senior horses

Postby kande50 » Thu Nov 05, 2015 6:26 pm

westisbest wrote:So no I will go out and hack around the property on my own but am super leary of road trips with anyone except a trusted companion. And even then


I no longer have the urge to go ride in novel places with people I don't know well. It always sounded like so much fun, but then after doing it *a lot* when we were younger, I realized that it's actually just as much fun to ride closer to home with those who like to ride the same way I do.

There is a place near Utica, NY, Otter Creek Campgrounds, that was perfect for the way we liked to ride back when we used to out go. Miles and miles of flat, sandy trails so we could go as fast as we wanted for as long as we wanted without running out of good footing. Only drawback is that it's a 4 hour drive to get there.

Another great place to ride is Carousel Farms in Casco, ME. We discovered it by accident when we were looking for a place to stop on our way to Mt. Desert Island, and as it turned out the sandy trails at Carousel Farms were much nicer than the gravel roads at Mt. Desert. Same problem though: long drive to get there.

westisbest
Herd Member
Posts: 198
Joined: Sun Oct 11, 2015 2:12 pm
Location: S. Alberta

Re: Senior gals with senior horses

Postby westisbest » Fri Nov 06, 2015 3:38 pm

Didn't get a break until 7 pm last night to go see my horse. So dark snow flying on the drive back to the ag show grounds where I"m working this weekend.. Xmas craft market I was setting up a booth till 8:30 last night in a cold drafty building.. I'm always amazed at how much activity there is in the barn at night, mostly jumping classes. The lengths riders will go to driving frozen highways and back roads in the dark and sometimes treacherous conditions to get to our beloveds :). So it was a brief hour of grooming, huggging. Is there anything better than just putting your arms around a horse and holding on? Feeling the breath the heartbeat? Makes it all worth it. Having to allow a friend to ride him Thursday and today. She is a good rider and altho I don't normally allow anyone but my coach on, she, coach is out of town, and I prefer to have him ridden than not.. Now off for 10 hours of work, same but shorter hours next two days.. I'm working F,S,S all November so need to maximize my riding time the off days. Had one of those, "I'm so old, this is all so hard" feelings last night working alone in that cold building, fingers stiff trying to make fancy bows on gift packages. But then flying down the rural roads in the dark, I felt so alive and happy. I'm still striving. Out there doing the hard stuff. Let those other seniors have their golden years, taking it easy. I reckon I'm like my horse :).. we aren't nearly ready for retirement.

Josette
500 post plus club
Posts: 823
Joined: Sun Oct 11, 2015 3:53 pm
Location: NJ

Re: Senior gals with senior horses

Postby Josette » Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:33 pm


User avatar
musical comedy
Herd Member
Posts: 459
Joined: Sun Oct 11, 2015 3:41 pm
Location: New Jersey

Re: Senior gals with senior horses

Postby musical comedy » Fri Nov 06, 2015 8:51 pm

Josette wrote:https://goo.gl/photos/1ezctPNnU7YZ1asF8

So cute, Josette!!

Josette
500 post plus club
Posts: 823
Joined: Sun Oct 11, 2015 3:53 pm
Location: NJ

Re: Senior gals with senior horses

Postby Josette » Fri Nov 06, 2015 11:32 pm

Thanks MC - my guy has turned into a real little ham. He loves attention and we have finally turned the corner with our trust and bonding issues. The picture does enlarge when you click on it but I could only figure out how to add a link versus embed the photo. He is a robust 14.2 hands and I'm 5'2" so I think a good match. When I saw the photos of your HUGE horses - riding them would be very intimidating to me. That is really a long way down to the ground!

westisbest - This week was so lovely weather wise I was able to ride 4 days in a row. So hoping for a few more weeks of mild weather because I hate riding on frozen ground. I would have a hard time seeing the snow so soon although it has happened here before. Today I wore a t-shirt cleaning stalls as it was so humid and hit 74 degrees - although again not a record breaker. Now the temps will gradually start to drop and not sudden I hope.

demi
500 post plus club
Posts: 929
Joined: Sun Oct 11, 2015 7:02 pm
Location: Texas

Re: Senior gals with senior horses

Postby demi » Sat Nov 07, 2015 1:24 am

Josette wrote:https://goo.gl/photos/1ezctPNnU7YZ1asF8


He's adorable, Josette! I'm glad you stuck with him and worked through the trust and bonding issues. You look pretty bonded to each other in the photo. Now, though, I want MORE PICTURES!

westisbest
Herd Member
Posts: 198
Joined: Sun Oct 11, 2015 2:12 pm
Location: S. Alberta

Re: Senior gals with senior horses

Postby westisbest » Thu Jun 23, 2016 12:03 am

Ha well this thread has not had much attention! I'm still a senior rider with a senior horse. Unfortunately senior horse (now a beautiful fit 23) went and injured himself big gash in the chest within one week of moving to my friends beautiful new private dressage paradise. NO IDEA how he did it, he was the only gelding beside 4 mares seemed ok about everything then my friend brought her young gelding in after a show and the two guys were happy to be reunited. Next day, on my 68th birthday no less!! my coach called to say he had the new injury..It was not a kick it is a U shaped deep gash like someone took a scalpel and cut him. Which is just above his still slow healing from surgery on Dec 4 2014 wound area.. So I was in the depths of despair got him stitched and back to race horse rehab facility who are amazing and took great care of him post surgery last year. The vet came and took out stitches Monday past the new wound has not attached underneath even tho he used internal disolving stitches. So the manager of rehab there offered me a great deal on hyperbarick oxygen therapy. They have a double chamber there and use it a lot of race horses. I considered it carefully and decided to go ahead with a 10 dive as they call it treatment series. He handles the chamber well, they tranq lightly for it, another experienced horse is sharing (with wall) the chamber with him. I was totally on edge yesterday for his first treatment but I can already see a difference.

So on we go, the boy and I, hoping for healing and happy hacking days ahead.

All jingles welcomed btw.

User avatar
musical comedy
Herd Member
Posts: 459
Joined: Sun Oct 11, 2015 3:41 pm
Location: New Jersey

Re: Senior gals with senior horses

Postby musical comedy » Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:21 pm

Westi, I was wondering what happened to you. This is just unbelievable about the accident. I hope you can find out how it happened. It's ironic that it's another one to the chest area. Did you say the original laceration was still not healed? Were you ever able to clip? What benefit does this oxygen chamber give? When can you ride again? Wishing you the best for recovery and no more injuries.

I had a birthday in May and my horse had one in June. We're old...let's leave it at that. :lol:

westisbest
Herd Member
Posts: 198
Joined: Sun Oct 11, 2015 2:12 pm
Location: S. Alberta

Re: Senior gals with senior horses

Postby westisbest » Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:08 pm

MC, I had been riding and getting my mental mojo (always iffy) and physical fitness for riding back. Need a brace on right knee now to post trot but small deal. The original surgical wound had healed to a mere 1.5 x 3". I did not clip this winter but we had a very mild one he was stalled inside at night and stayed in the odd bad day but all was well. The slow healing is a mystery to everyone any vet that's had hands on him does not get it. GAAA.. but it's not life threatening we are down to scar tissue the last debridement months ago maybe last fall, barely bled. He did get kicked a couple of times when he went back into group field he is a bossy ass alpha still and even tho he was in with mostly other old guys just 7 at max in a large field, someone always takes offense lol.

HBOT has been used in human med for 40 years for various treatment modalities but slow healing wounds ie diabetic ulcers are one of the most successful ways its used currently. My bf actually is an investor in a human HBOT facility here in town so he was all in favour of giving it a try. This is a good summary:

http://equinehyperbariccenter.com/pages ... ations.php

This is not obv where we are doing treatment, the chamber is at BarNone Ranch the racehorse facility where he's staying right now.

http://barnoneranches.com/facilities/hy ... c-chamber/

There isn't a lot of clinical trial evidence on effectiveness in equiine healing but lots of anecdotal. And again wound healing is one of the most common usages.

He seems very happy about the whole thing.. the barn manager who is doing the loading for treatment says he's so smart and careful doesn't rush out (backwards) well he's had 1,000 trailer rides came from Germany on a plane, so good experience in handling stuff never hurts! This barn is only about 30 minutes from home and 15 minutes from friends place where hopefully soon !! we will be heading back to stay. No idea at all what caused the cut, no idea. I've walked every damn inch of the field. But he will be in his own possibly hot wired big grassy paddock for the foreseeable future. Really can't go thru this again.

kande50
Bringing Life to the DDBB
Posts: 1146
Joined: Sun Oct 11, 2015 7:28 pm
Location: Williamstown, MA

Re: Senior gals with senior horses

Postby kande50 » Thu Jun 23, 2016 11:21 pm

westisbest wrote: But he will be in his own possibly hot wired big grassy paddock for the foreseeable future. Really can't go thru this again.


I'm a huge fan of individual turnout for some horses, because they're already enough of a hazard to themselves without either aggravating the others until they get kicked, or injuring one of the others, or both.

At least he's managing to get kicked (or somehow injured) in the chest instead of the hock or knee or some other critical joint.

westisbest
Herd Member
Posts: 198
Joined: Sun Oct 11, 2015 2:12 pm
Location: S. Alberta

Re: Senior gals with senior horses

Postby westisbest » Thu Jun 23, 2016 11:41 pm

kande50 wrote:
westisbest wrote: But he will be in his own possibly hot wired big grassy paddock for the foreseeable future. Really can't go thru this again.


I'm a huge fan of individual turnout for some horses, because they're already enough of a hazard to themselves without either aggravating the others until they get kicked, or injuring one of the others, or both.

At least he's managing to get kicked (or somehow injured) in the chest instead of the hock or knee or some other critical joint.


I would rather see him with other horses, he spent the first 6 years of his life as a stallion then had to learn (haha or fake learn) herd manners once gelded. But our new place is mostly mares so options are limited. Not sure if being beside four inseason mares provoked something. But yes, I do agree, he is a hazard to himself at this point.

kande50
Bringing Life to the DDBB
Posts: 1146
Joined: Sun Oct 11, 2015 7:28 pm
Location: Williamstown, MA

Re: Senior gals with senior horses

Postby kande50 » Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:33 pm

westisbest wrote:I would rather see him with other horses, he spent the first 6 years of his life as a stallion then had to learn (haha or fake learn) herd manners once gelded. But our new place is mostly mares so options are limited. Not sure if being beside four inseason mares provoked something. But yes, I do agree, he is a hazard to himself at this point.


I'd rather run mine all in together too, but the reason I got most of them is because I wanted to ride them, and if they get injured not only do I lose the use of them but also end up with more damaged horses to support.

Sting spent his first 5 years as a stallion too, but I don't think that's why he doesn't do well in a herd because I think his problem is that he's so energetic. I could put him in with an already lame mare I have, but last time I did that he ended up with a swollen knee. So I decided that we both lucked out that time because it healed up but we might not be so lucky next time.

I've also tried running him in with smaller, older, calmer horses, but then they just end up injured, so that doesn't work, either.

What I have done with him is to keep at least one gelding who likes to play on the other side of the fence from him, which actually works out better for him because the others won't play with him unless there's a fence between them, because he gets too rough. But as long as they're protected they love to play "you try to bite my leg/face/neck and I'll try to bite yours". :-)

westisbest
Herd Member
Posts: 198
Joined: Sun Oct 11, 2015 2:12 pm
Location: S. Alberta

Re: Senior gals with senior horses

Postby westisbest » Fri Jun 24, 2016 3:07 pm

In the place I just left boarded there for 5 years HJ facility, horses got hurt in singular paddocks. And even at the race horse facility with the highest quality of care I've ever seen two horses now over a couple of years have broken cannon bones kicking against the metal pipe fence, they are turned out in singular paddocks beside each other. It all gets somewhat discouraging the whole sport horse dream. I never had these problems in the old western trail riding life with quarterhorses. Seems like the more $ you spend on them the more likely they are to break your heart your spirit and your bank account. Had a weepy down day yesterday but feeling more restored today. This too shall pass..

demi
500 post plus club
Posts: 929
Joined: Sun Oct 11, 2015 7:02 pm
Location: Texas

Re: Senior gals with senior horses

Postby demi » Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:20 pm

Westi, just so sorry to hear about your horse...I didn't even notice this Sr. Forum had any activity until just now or I would have responded sooner. You're right of course that "this too shall pass" but in the mean time it's just rotten luck! On the positive side, I've noticed (and you probably have, too) that whenever I have to go through sickness or injury with a horse, we always come out of it more bonded than before. Here's jingling for you to have many more good rides on your old boy. Keep us posted on his recovery.

I am feeling the age, too. The heat here in Texes is unrelenting. I don't mind working outside in this weather, but riding is different than working. When I'm just working I don't care if I just drag around but I don't want to drag around on my horse. I can go in the house at night and sleep in the AC but the horses can't. So I take it easy on them in the summer. I just hate missing the training time much more so now that I am a senior citizen.

demi
500 post plus club
Posts: 929
Joined: Sun Oct 11, 2015 7:02 pm
Location: Texas

Re: Senior gals with senior horses

Postby demi » Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:27 pm

Oh, I forgot to add, I have had horses get injured even turned out by themselves. Rocky put her foot through a fence when she was 3 and my vet said it was just a fluke because we have our own place and work hard to keep it well maintained. She was in a separate 2 acre turn-out with good fencing, lots of grass, shade trees, no touchable horses nearby, etc,. It seems like no matter how hard one tries to keep their horse safe, they always find a way to get hurt...

westisbest
Herd Member
Posts: 198
Joined: Sun Oct 11, 2015 2:12 pm
Location: S. Alberta

Re: Senior gals with senior horses

Postby westisbest » Tue Jun 28, 2016 4:05 pm

demi wrote:Westi, just so sorry to hear about your horse...I didn't even notice this Sr. Forum had any activity until just now or I would have responded sooner. You're right of course that "this too shall pass" but in the mean time it's just rotten luck! On the positive side, I've noticed (and you probably have, too) that whenever I have to go through sickness or injury with a horse, we always come out of it more bonded than before. Here's jingling for you to have many more good rides on your old boy. Keep us posted on his recovery.

I am feeling the age, too. The heat here in Texes is unrelenting. I don't mind working outside in this weather, but riding is different than working. When I'm just working I don't care if I just drag around but I don't want to drag around on my horse. I can go in the house at night and sleep in the AC but the horses can't. So I take it easy on them in the summer. I just hate missing the training time much more so now that I am a senior citizen.


Thx Demi! He's doing well perceptable healing with the hyperbaric. He's having session 7 of 10 today. (They are $200.00 a "dive" or time in chamber) then having vet come look next Tuesday hoping that he will be released to come home.

kande50
Bringing Life to the DDBB
Posts: 1146
Joined: Sun Oct 11, 2015 7:28 pm
Location: Williamstown, MA

Re: Senior gals with senior horses

Postby kande50 » Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:50 pm

demi wrote:Oh, I forgot to add, I have had horses get injured even turned out by themselves. Rocky put her foot through a fence when she was 3 and my vet said it was just a fluke because we have our own place and work hard to keep it well maintained. She was in a separate 2 acre turn-out with good fencing, lots of grass, shade trees, no touchable horses nearby, etc,. It seems like no matter how hard one tries to keep their horse safe, they always find a way to get hurt...


Same here. No climb horse fence, and I just didn't notice that he'd been sliding into the corners so often that he'd pushed the gravel up to the level of the bottom of the fence, and then kept sliding his front hooves into the bottom of the fence until he made a big enough hole that his hoof went through. Split the back of his hoof open pulling it out, which thankfully, healed, but that was just pure luck as it could have been the end of any prayer of him ever being sound again.

It could have been prevented with a strand of electric over the top of the fence to keep him back away from it more, but I was thinking that he'd be safe in no climb horse fence, which apparently, he wasn't.

I still pen him separately though, because I'm trying for the lowest risk and I think that's likely his, and his pasture mates'. I turn him out with select horses now and then, but he always screws up one way or another, and then I decide I don't want to take the risk, anymore.

westisbest
Herd Member
Posts: 198
Joined: Sun Oct 11, 2015 2:12 pm
Location: S. Alberta

Re: Senior gals with senior horses

Postby westisbest » Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:24 am

Didn't see my boy yesterday but today wow! big increase in healing.. This hyperbaric is like a miracle. A pricey one but its like fast forward healing.. So we are hot wiring his paddock for home coming.. Not sure if it will be forever but for the near and distant future he is going to be contained and monitored. LIke the desperado he is :)

Josette
500 post plus club
Posts: 823
Joined: Sun Oct 11, 2015 3:53 pm
Location: NJ

Re: Senior gals with senior horses

Postby Josette » Thu Jun 30, 2016 10:17 am

I knew someone who used this treatment method on an injury to her horse with excellent results. However, she said the cost felt like she was hemorrhaging money. Most of us have been in these situations - we hand over the credit card and hope for the best. Wishing your guy a speedy recovery and to stay out of trouble in the future!

westisbest
Herd Member
Posts: 198
Joined: Sun Oct 11, 2015 2:12 pm
Location: S. Alberta

Re: Senior gals with senior horses

Postby westisbest » Tue Aug 09, 2016 10:43 pm

I moved my horse back home just over two weeks ago. Now in fully hot wired paddock. Beside a 5 yr old PRE stallion. My big old boy settle the little man's hash quick, a neck arch over the electric fence a few squeals and that was that. Little stallion had been fence charging and harassing the two geldings on his other fence side. The day after I brought him home I went out early in the AM to check on things. Young stallion looked he had been castrated overnight lol. "Oh i see. Guess I won"t be running things around here. ". Now all the horses are relaxed the Alpha King has returned. Got on today for first time we both need fitness rebuilding but it's heaven to be riding again.

Threeponies
Greenie
Posts: 23
Joined: Sun Aug 21, 2016 10:51 am

Re: Senior gals with senior horses

Postby Threeponies » Wed Aug 24, 2016 10:22 am

Just new to the Forum and this is an awesome thread. Very inspiring to see all the older riders on here.

kande50
Bringing Life to the DDBB
Posts: 1146
Joined: Sun Oct 11, 2015 7:28 pm
Location: Williamstown, MA

Re: Senior gals with senior horses

Postby kande50 » Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:35 pm

Threeponies wrote:Just new to the Forum and this is an awesome thread. Very inspiring to see all the older riders on here.


Just turned 66, and have to admit that I'm starting to become one of those little old ladies who only wants to ride in the indoor. I used to think the older ladies rode inside because it was too scary to ride outside, but am realizing that it's more because it's nice inside without the sun and bugs, and we no longer need to "stay in shape for showing conditions" now that we're not interested in shows, anymore.

That, and I'm not as interested in developing the canter as I used to be, so don't really need the extra room.

What's so ironic about it is that I have the time to really get into showing now that I'm retired, but no longer have the interest.

chenders
Greenie
Posts: 12
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2015 2:54 pm

Re: Senior gals with senior horses

Postby chenders » Wed Aug 24, 2016 5:27 pm

Just revisiting this thread after a lonnnngggg absence. Still considering myself to be a senior (at 51) because the barn I'm boarding at now, I'm older than most of the *moms* who bring their kids out to ride heh heh ;)

Long story short, my heart horse, Raymond, passed in January. Colic. I had started riding a mare at the barn last November because Raymond was slowing down and I wasn't ready to. So, when he passed I had more time to ride the mare. Which went well until she foundered in May. She also had Cushings so she wasn't 100% healthy either. I decided to buy a new horse. Looked for a bit and found one a couple hours away from me. She's an 11yo Canadian Sport Horse (Trak/TB) mare, 15.2hh (I was determined to not own another giant like Raymond was). She has turned out to be amazing. Lovely girl with the most wonderful temperament. She was owned by a 12yo kid who wanted to jump but was pretty beginner so Stella decided that if the kid wasn't going to ride her to the jumps, she wouldn't bother jumping them heh heh! So I got her as my new dressage horse.

I got her beginning of July and within 5 days she had injured herself. Big puncture wound in her shoulder. So we spent all of July "bonding" while I treated her wound. Which I have to say is almost gone now. She got put out with two other mares and a gelding and I'm pretty sure she got run into something. Of course, no one saw it happen. So, once the wound was healed enough that she could be trailered I moved her to a much busier lesson barn. She's out in a lovely, safe paddock with one other mare. So far, no more injuries.

And I agree about losing the desire to show. I still have show clothes and may take part in the on-property schooling shows but I have no desire to go out to a show, especially dressage. I'm planning to just enjoy the journey with Stella.

chenders
Greenie
Posts: 12
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2015 2:54 pm

Re: Senior gals with senior horses

Postby chenders » Wed Aug 24, 2016 5:35 pm

Thought I should post a pic of my new girl:

Image

Josette
500 post plus club
Posts: 823
Joined: Sun Oct 11, 2015 3:53 pm
Location: NJ

Re: Senior gals with senior horses

Postby Josette » Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:28 pm

Welcome to the Senior gals! Lovely pic of Stella - beautiful bright bay. I'm sorry to hear you lost your Raymond. I too lost my TB gelding 3 years ago but couldn't give up riding yet so I purchased a large pony - Peanut. I'll turn 60 in 3 weeks and am still horse crazy. :) I started riding as a kid in the 4-H and have owned several geldings over the years - 2 ponies, Arab, TB, PT/QH and now my large Connemara. He is now age 16 so I think we are well matched to simply enjoy our journey. No showing for us either just quality time together.

User avatar
musical comedy
Herd Member
Posts: 459
Joined: Sun Oct 11, 2015 3:41 pm
Location: New Jersey

Re: Senior gals with senior horses

Postby musical comedy » Fri Aug 26, 2016 4:13 pm

chenders wrote:Thought I should post a pic of my new girl:

If I had to describe exactly the look I want, Stella would be it. Bay, 4 socks, and an even blaze. Really beautiful.

User avatar
Sunshine2Me
Herd Member
Posts: 365
Joined: Mon Oct 12, 2015 3:59 am
Location: Central Illinois

Re: Senior gals with senior horses

Postby Sunshine2Me » Fri Aug 26, 2016 5:01 pm

Chenders - Stella is a beautiful girl! I hope you are enjoying your time together!

chenders
Greenie
Posts: 12
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2015 2:54 pm

Re: Senior gals with senior horses

Postby chenders » Fri Aug 26, 2016 7:29 pm

Aww thanks, I think she's gorgeous too...but I'm biased. Here is a head shot of her:

Image

I lucked out with her. After Raymond, my wish list was very specific and she checked off every box.

I was a confirmed gelding person but she is perfect and not mareish at all. A lovely, quiet temperament with no meanness or attitude whatsoever. And I find her so EASY to ride after Raymond who was so tall and long. I'm a pretty wimpy rider yet I feel totally comfortable on her.

kande50
Bringing Life to the DDBB
Posts: 1146
Joined: Sun Oct 11, 2015 7:28 pm
Location: Williamstown, MA

Re: Senior gals with senior horses

Postby kande50 » Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:35 pm

A Canadian Sport Horse is TB/Trak, or TB crossed with something, or ?

westisbest
Herd Member
Posts: 198
Joined: Sun Oct 11, 2015 2:12 pm
Location: S. Alberta

Re: Senior gals with senior horses

Postby westisbest » Sat Aug 27, 2016 8:19 pm

No, its a registry here but it doesn't require TB blood, i know my approved Hanoverian stallion was in the foundation studbook so I'm guessing it's a dupe registry of some sort.. so ignorant now I have to go look it up :)

Sue B
Herd Member
Posts: 474
Joined: Mon Oct 12, 2015 2:55 pm
Location: Spud country (Idaho)

Re: Senior gals with senior horses

Postby Sue B » Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:27 pm

Sheesh Chenders, I'm 55 and NOT a senior rider, although I did buy a baby a few years ago who will be my "old lady" horse down the road. :lol: I am so happy for you that you found a new heart horse to dote upon. Beautiful head shot.

Hey westisbest, how is your horse doing with his chest injury. I seem to recall he had hyperbaric treatments for it ??

calvin
Herd Member
Posts: 99
Joined: Sun Oct 11, 2015 3:12 pm
Location: Nova Scotia

Re: Senior gals with senior horses

Postby calvin » Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:59 pm

Westi, I, too, had missed your post and am sending your boy lots of healing energy from the Atlantic Coast. Sounds as though the healing process is well underway. Yes indeed, happy hacking days ahead!

westisbest
Herd Member
Posts: 198
Joined: Sun Oct 11, 2015 2:12 pm
Location: S. Alberta

Re: Senior gals with senior horses

Postby westisbest » Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:49 pm

Thanks Calvin, we had one more small set back.. vet left a couple or maybe one loop suture in when he removed the big row of (mattress) stitches back in mid-June. My SO who is a dental surgeon was coming out to remove it simple job yes? no, he raised a big lump of what turned out to be infection so had to get vet out on emerg call, he did a tiny scalpel cut pulled out the loop as flesh had grown around it, then two weeks antibiotics. Now its almost flat again and I am actually riding.. I lunge him about 10 minutes before I get on I'm feeling pretty good mentally ie not anxious but my body oy vey! even these little baby rides of 10 minutes W, T and now sit T are making my muscles sore. So happy to be at my friends beautiful place now and be able to care for my boy myself. I waited a long time for this. Enjoying every day. Goal is to be riding a half hour, W,T,C and lateral work by end of September. 3-4 x a week. He's up to it no problem the real work is for me and my ageing body. Doing chores around the place ie cleaning his paddock of rocks and manure right now are better than a gym workout..

calvin
Herd Member
Posts: 99
Joined: Sun Oct 11, 2015 3:12 pm
Location: Nova Scotia

Re: Senior gals with senior horses

Postby calvin » Wed Sep 07, 2016 1:34 pm

Westi, you are on the way. Set those goals, and enjoy your rides. It takes TIME to build up muscle, particularly yours. I remember a comment that horses muscle up relatively quickly, but in comparison, it takes months longer to strengthen their soft tissues / ligaments / tendons. Take it easy, in other words.

I have entered the show ring. I last showed 11 years ago, as mentioned on another thread. We did second level tests 1 and 3, with scores of 63, 64, 64 and 66. My horse is now 21. We are both seniors. Perhaps we shall try third level tests next year . . . In the meantime, I am trying to figure out how to keep my dressage ring from blowing over. It is a lovely Premier Equestrian Classic ring; but I cannot use the metal stakes to support the posts, because the compacted rock base is quite close to the surface of the ring, and the stakes only go down 2 or 3" . I am thinking of filling the bottom of the posts with sand. There is always another project. But the look is stunning!


Return to “Senior Horses/Senior Riders”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest