Senior gals with senior horses

Topic for older horses and older riders
kande50
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: Senior gals with senior horses

Postby kande50 » Fri Oct 16, 2015 12:57 pm

musical comedy wrote:The judge threw the book at me to the tune of $438. He says he considers driving with the cell as bad as a DUI. My old lady look didn't get me any credit. :D

That was an expensive call!

kande50

Postby kande50 » Fri Oct 16, 2015 1:05 pm

westisbest wrote:Kande, you are doing your farm chores I'm sure you're quite fit :). I was doing a very tough physical job just a few months ago, working as a gardener at a Tbred racing farm 8 hours a day almost non stop. I was wrecked at first but after the first couple of weeks did ok.. So I know I'm not a total loss, just have let things slide. Which 10 years ago would have been nothing, now it's use it or lose it.

I'm burying my head in the sand and hoping that riding alone will keep me fit enough to be able to keep doing it, as I don't do much else other than pick up a few stalls and drive tractors around.

I read about all the work some of you are doing to stay fit and it makes me feel guilty for not doing more.

I am getting interested in the counter canter work that they're talking about on another thread, so if I can get going on that I think cantering more will probably help.

Josette

Postby Josette » Fri Oct 16, 2015 7:17 pm

westisbest - when my old dog became unable to do our daily walks I finally gave in and got another - small chihuahua/terrier mix about 14#. He is HIGH energy and demands his daily walk per his doggie watch set to every morning. So he has kept my motivation up to keep moving daily.

musical comedy - sorry to hear about your ticket. Sounds like your area is tough about it. Around here so many are on the cell phone while driving and I've never seen them pulled over.

Kande - I still work full-time but fortunately at home. I'd never be able to commute long distance anymore. However, I am looking forward to retirement SOMEDAY. Maybe then I could get more done on the property. The other day I planted over 300 flower bulbs - mostly daffodils and some other anti-deer flowers. I 'm frustrated because last year I planted over 30 rhododendron bushes and only 2 survived the deer and our severe winter. Now I'm going to sneak out for a quite walk about on my pony. I don't have the energy for much else. :roll:

westisbest
Herd Member

Postby westisbest » Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:06 pm

Josette, I still cry when I look at pics of him. And when you've had a good GSD no other breed will measure up. The woman I got my boy from did a breeding this year (small breeder but very good dogs) I'm not wild about the male she is using, oversized and a couple of the male youngsters I've seen from the breeding did not have a solid temperament. There is a breeder south of here who has imported German working lines.. am FB friends with him. But I have to work and soon and for some long years ahead so it doesn't seem likely I will get a dog again. I got a rescue cat four days after I lost my GSD. He's the smartest most beautiful cat I've ever had.. At first I though he was a Siamese cross but now I'm leaning towards Birman cross. He goes out in a harness and long leash and we can do a decent walk together. I just pick him up if we get to a place where he gets balky lol, he lies in my arms with complete calm. I leave very near two beautiful natural reserves with good day hiking so just have to get the habit going.

Josette

Postby Josette » Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:59 pm

westisbest - I totally understand and been there too. I got this little rescue dog only 2 weeks after I lost my heart horse and my dear cat from lymphoma. I was very depressed and needed to do something about it. Last week, I visited a lovely zoo which needed donations to refurbish their wild cat exhibits. A donation went to the purchase and display of a memorial tile. I did one each for my horse and cat. When I saw the tiles I burst into tears - rush of emotion remembering them.

westisbest
Herd Member

Postby westisbest » Fri Oct 16, 2015 10:05 pm

Josette wrote:westisbest - I totally understand and been there too. I got this little rescue dog only 2 weeks after I lost my heart horse and my dear cat from lymphoma. I was very depressed and needed to do something about it. Last week, I visited a lovely zoo which needed donations to refurbish their wild cat exhibits. A donation went to the purchase and display of a memorial tile. I did one each for my horse and cat. When I saw the tiles I burst into tears - rush of emotion remembering them.

What a beautiful tribute!

musical comedy

Postby musical comedy » Fri Oct 16, 2015 10:15 pm

I lost my dog a few years ago too, and I can't stand to think about it or look at his photo. I loved that dog more than words can say.

But on to the exercise thing....I don't. I was never an athletic type; more of a girly girl. Since living on this farm for 26 years, I'm fairly active. I've slowed down a lot though. I think riding keeps me riding fit. I don't think there are any off horse exercises that replace on horse riding. How would I know though, since I don't do them. :D

Honestly, I don't know how people find time to work, have various hobbies, do things with friends, etc. By the time I do the mandatory chores around here and ride my horse, the day is over. Then I'm ready to play on the web, watch some TV at 9-10pm and then go to bed.

I had more time when I worked full time. Then, the house stayed neat. Now with both of us home there is always a mess. We eat at different times, and there is always cleaning up to do, clothes to wash, groceries to buy, etc. I have a 'man child'.

Josette

Postby Josette » Fri Oct 16, 2015 11:03 pm

musical comedy - my house work is what suffers as work and then barn chores take priority. Yup - I have a 'man child' too. LOL!

westisbest
Herd Member

Postby westisbest » Fri Oct 16, 2015 11:23 pm

Same here, other than the gym and the occasional bike ride, no other sports. Used to be a totally addicted downhill skier when I lived on the east coast and in my early married years out here. Had a part share in a ski chalet in Vermont and went every weekend. Then got pretty involved in golf with my ex-husband. Still have the golf clubs never golf now. I had two horses at one point in time, two dogs for years. Worked full time until 12 years ago and it's been part time stuff since. Just a 1500 sq ft house but lots of rooms and way too much cleaning. Had a vacation property on the west coast that involved travelling almost a day and a half to get there used to spend a month at a time out there with my dog. A rather dependent niece and nephew who live close by. And a cat who needs playtime every day. So no hobbies for me much. I love doing art, have dabbled in watercolor painting, I'm not too shabby, also like charcoal sketching. Can sew, hate it.. Like to knit but wool is so pricey now.. Whine!!!

I'm immersing myself in my Jane Savoie DVD set Program Your Position right now. I feel a surge of new energy (psychic mostly) filling my consciousness. Cant wait to ride tomorrow. Going to be 20C (high 60's F) my guy has his full winter teddy bear coat now so we can do some lunging first to work him up a bit then me on to practise the trot work. He can dry off in the warm sun as he will get sweaty now.

musical comedy

Postby musical comedy » Fri Oct 16, 2015 11:35 pm

Sounds me me Westi that you've done a lot. Skiing and golf are sports requiring skill. When I was young, I dated a golf pro. I could not even hit the ball off the T. I did a little bit of bowling in my 20's and I did like it, but I wasn't any good at it. I was decent at roller skating.

Before we bought the farm, I had a nice big house. It was a mock Tudor. I don't know how many sq feet it was, but there were 4 bedrooms and two full baths upstairs. A huge kitchen with eat in area. A formal dining room. A big Den. A living room. The house was so neat. It is easier to keep a big house neat I think. I have a tiny ranch now and not enough room. Instead of moving up in class, I went the other direction. All this for this crazy horse sport. I sort of regret it.

I've had to clip twice so far. He usually gets clipped (a sloppy one) 5 times before January. By then, the heavy coat stops growing. He has to be clipped. He grows a thick coat. He's an old style WB.

westisbest
Herd Member

Postby westisbest » Sat Oct 17, 2015 12:05 am

MC I say I'm sporty but not athletic. Or at least I don't see myself that way. I was very tall (5'11) and weedy (120-125 lbs) thru highschool I did not like team sports like basketball and volleyball as I wasn't up to the rough stuff. And yes girls can be rough in those sports. My first love was dance, I was in ballet and tap at 5, continued with ballet till I was around 12 and started to grow tall. And outgrew (figuratively) the local school.. and no parental $ to go into Montreal to a better school. I learned to ride on other people's horses, and trail horses without lessons. So I guess I have some kind of natural seat. I've never had a lot of stamina, not sure why there is absolutely no physical reason.. maybe just a lazy person who doesn't like to push too hard.

westisbest
Herd Member

Postby westisbest » Sat Oct 17, 2015 12:09 am

Galileo can't be clipped until I figure out a blanketing solution that won't irritate the healing chest wound. I've connected with a woman who does blanket repairs used to do full customs. She is having surgery end of October and isn't supposed to do any lifting for two weeks so she will come out Mid-November and look at the situation. She has some ideas on how to customize my existing blanket. So for the next while he will be full teddy bear. He's the old style too, loves the cold, the snow, grows a heavy coat always has. True Hanoverian.

westisbest
Herd Member

Postby westisbest » Sat Oct 17, 2015 12:11 am

Last year about this time, full teddy bear.

[url][URL=http://s972.photobucket.com/user/kdescossa/media/Galihay_zps1b49f301.jpg.html]Image[/url][/url]
Last edited by westisbest on Tue Oct 27, 2015 1:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

musical comedy

Postby musical comedy » Sat Oct 17, 2015 12:42 am

westisbest wrote:Last year about this time, full teddy bear.

[url][URL=http://s972.photobucket.com/user/kdescossa/media/Galihay_zps1b49f301.jpg.html]Image[/url][/url]

He is so my type. Isn't it funny though how pics are deceiving. He does not look like a 17h horse there. And Demi's mare looks to be a hand taller than what she is.

I don't have any pics of my horse with a furry coat, cause I always clip. Does Gali grow a lot of hair on his knees? My guy's knees have such thick hair. He gets some fetlock hair, but not a whole lot.

Oh, and dancing, you betcha. Nothing professional, but boy did I ever love to dance . Still do, and I have to do it by myself.

westisbest
Herd Member

Postby westisbest » Sat Oct 17, 2015 1:03 am

This is from my first lesson on him just after I bought him 6 years ago June. I'm 5'11" with really long legs (36" inseam) so it gives you a better idea of his size. No not really much on his knees. His lower legs get pretty hairy, Buffalo like :) He's very compactly built. Short strong jumper back. Takes an 81/82" blanket. Yes I thought Demi's lovely mare looked much bigger too.

kande50

Postby kande50 » Sat Oct 17, 2015 9:41 am

westisbest wrote:This is from my first lesson on him just after I bought him 6 years ago June. I'm 5'11" with really long legs (36" inseam) so it gives you a better idea of his size. No not really much on his knees. His lower legs get pretty hairy, Buffalo like :) He's very compactly built. Short strong jumper back. Takes an 81/82" blanket. Yes I thought Demi's lovely mare looked much bigger too.

It's so hard to estimate height from pix. Sting's also right around 17 hands, but in some videos I look much bigger on him than in others, which I think depends on the camera angle?

kande50

Postby kande50 » Sat Oct 17, 2015 9:49 am

westisbest wrote:I've never had a lot of stamina, not sure why there is absolutely no physical reason.. maybe just a lazy person who doesn't like to push too hard.

Same here, although I did have plenty of stamina when I was younger, but just can't seem to find the drive to keep going and going and going now. When I was younger and thought I was going to be super active until I died I didn't realize that not only does the body change with age, but the mind changes, too. And the mind is what slows us down, because it just doesn't care enough, anymore!

I also had polio when I was 5 and have always been a little bit worried about developing post polio syndrome (25% develop it), although that may just be an excuse to be lazy. :-)

Josette

Postby Josette » Sun Oct 18, 2015 11:30 am

Pictures can be deceiving for size reference. Westisbest - after you described your height and your horse, if I stood next to you my head just might be hair above your knee. I have to get a picture my DH took this summer after pony got a bath. I'm standing next to him 14.2 hd and I still look short at 5'2".

demi

Postby demi » Mon Oct 19, 2015 7:04 pm

I keep looking for some Senior riding posts, but find NONE....are we sleeping on the job like Chancellor's co-workers!? :lol:

musical comedy

Postby musical comedy » Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:12 pm

demi wrote:I keep looking for some Senior riding posts, but find NONE....are we sleeping on the job like Chancellor's co-workers!? :lol:

My riding reports are all the same. I do the same thing basically every ride. Just suppling and doing a movement here and there to confirm he can still do them. I try to see how supple and through I can get him.

It seems like the days now are so short. This happens to me every year. I love the cool weather, but the early daylight makes me think the day is over. Yesterday I did not even get on until 5pm. I used to ride 5 days in a row with 1 day off. Then I went to 4 days in a row with 1 day off. Now I am at 3 days in a row with 1 day off.

There are some things I would like to try and/or perfect with my horse, but I don't want to risk him getting upset. With him, there's a fine line about how much you can push through. I've never really figured out whether it is was truly hard for him to do because of some kind of pain or muscle knot, if I am not aiding properly, or if he is just saying "I'd rather not".

I have seen a couple local (and loved) trainers really get after horses to the tune of them rearing, rolling backwards, etc. They eventually get the horse to do what they want. I won't allow someone to do that with my horse and I won't do it myself.

kande50

Postby kande50 » Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:54 pm

musical comedy wrote:My riding reports are all the same. I do the same thing basically every ride. Just suppling and doing a movement here and there to confirm he can still do them. I try to see how supple and through I can get him.

Same here, MC. Except today I went out and cantered more, which was so much fun.

It seems like the days now are so short. This happens to me every year. I love the cool weather, but the early daylight makes me think the day is over. Yesterday I did not even get on until 5pm. I used to ride 5 days in a row with 1 day off. Then I went to 4 days in a row with 1 day off. Now I am at 3 days in a row with 1 day off.

How about something like one day on, one day off? Or one day on, two days off? I often feel like I need a day to recover after I ride, and I don't think it's such a bad thing for my horse, either. So I either alternate heavier work days with light ones, or just take days off in between. I keep track of the weather forecast and skip hot, cold, dark, and very windy days if I've been riding enough, because I don't want to miss out on any of the good days.

I have seen a couple local (and loved) trainers really get after horses to the tune of them rearing, rolling backwards, etc. They eventually get the horse to do what they want. I won't allow someone to do that with my horse and I won't do it myself.

Same here, MC. What if the hard riding is just pushing them through pain rather than pushing them through insecurity? So then we'd be riding around on a horse who was suffering, and that just seems so wrong on so many levels. I'm just too convinced that if my horse understands what I want him to do, and is mentally and physically comfortable enough to do it, it then it'll take very little to get him to do it. And while it's true that we can sometimes motivate them to do more in hopes that they'll become comfortable doing it, that kind of riding just takes all the fun out of riding for me.

boots-aregard
Herd Member

Postby boots-aregard » Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:58 pm

Well, I rode this weekend. Jumped a course. It was much fun. So, there's a senior riding report.

;)

I am also working on the jungle (yard) of a rental house and that's a heck of a lot more work I am here to tell you. Sucker weeds from dead trees that are still trying to grow. It's take 5 days to clear a 12X36 patch and I'm dead by the end.

Stamina has never been my thing, either, because of asthma. I ran the mile when in school, but once I developed asthma, couldn't find the breath for it anymore (nor the enthusiasm. Nothing like feeling that you can't breathe to kill your hots for sport!) But I did stay in shape for many years, if not for a long-run. :) I got involved with opening a new business in my late 50s and 'forgot' about excersize. Was so surprised when I got back to it at 61, and discovered I had lost my "hop" among other things.

Josette

Postby Josette » Mon Oct 19, 2015 9:40 pm

I did ride 3 days in a row and then it was bitter cold past 2 days - so I didn't ride. I also focus on suppling and connection with some fun cantering. Next few days will be a crazy heat wave. Now my riding will be dependent upon the weather. Once the ground freezes solid that will be the end until spring. I hate the interruption to riding but I don't care to board. Been there, done that and not fun. There is the high cost, waiting list, poor/unsafe turnout plus commuting in traffic and return late at night when temperatures are frigid - that is a definite non-motivator. I will rely on a warm noon time to go out at lunch for a short trail ride at least.

demi

Postby demi » Mon Oct 19, 2015 10:35 pm

:D Such nice reports, really. I think it's great that we are still riding. My closest friend is 69 and she rode up until she was 65. I struggle to not resent that she quit when she did. She was a barrel racer and it's understandable that she doesnt want to do that anymore, but she could still trail ride...she's in decent shape, still has a ridable horse, and owns several hundred acres that we use to ride many hours on. I guess I never could understand the barrel racer mentality ;) She thinks dressage is BORING and that horses weren't made to do "that stuff" and that the only kind of horse worth having is a quarter horse!!(I do happen to appreciate a good QH,though)
okay. I got that off my chest. I really do love the old girl. She still wears her cowboy boots, hat and her BUCKLES!! Looks pretty good, too.

Thanks again for the reports, and MC, that thumbnail by your name looks good but I can't really see it very well. Is that you and your horse doing some fancy dressage? I'd love to know more about him. And Boots-aregard, you're still jumping and enjoying it! Kande, i knew your were going to do some canter work, I'm glad you enjoyed it. Did you do some shallow loops? And Josette, you're only 59 !!(i had to go back and look). Seems you have a large pony. My horse is little, too.
Geez. I have read this board off and on since 2006 and only posted a few times. Now I can't shut up...I blame it on my age.

kande50

Postby kande50 » Mon Oct 19, 2015 11:12 pm

Josette wrote:I did ride 3 days in a row and then it was bitter cold past 2 days - so I didn't ride.

Wasn't that something? Sunday was one of our trail riding days so I put on my snowpants and lots of layers and we went for a ride and it snowed! I could have used warmer gloves and a helmet liner, but we did have the sense to leave the extra mule at home because she doesn't know how to trot on the line yet, and we knew it was going to be chilly enough that we were going to want to do lots of trotting, which we did, to warm up, even with snowpants and gloves and layers!

But that was just a few days and now we're going back to 60's for the rest of this week. Yes!!!!!

musical comedy

Postby musical comedy » Mon Oct 19, 2015 11:25 pm

demi wrote:Thanks again for the reports, and MC, that thumbnail by your name looks good but I can't really see it very well. Is that you and your horse doing some fancy dressage? I'd love to know more about him.
Westi and I gave info on our horses before the udbb shut down. I guess you didn't get to read them. My guy is 21 this year. I've owned him since he was 7. Never a day off for lameness except for a couple abscesses. Not even a splint. He did the 100 day test at Medigen, Germany and became an Approved Hanoverian Stallion. I do not think he bred. I bought him from my trainer's wife when she got pregnant. She had him gelded when he was imported from Germany in 2001. The photo in my avatar is from 2007 when I was age 61. I have many many still pics of him and lots of (older) video. Downloading video to the PC and then to Youtube is just too much effort for me. I did put a very short clip of last month on the pc and I may download it to youtube so you can see how he goes now as a 21 year old. Here's the enlarged avatar pic.
Attachments
HP.Trot.notsure.JPG
2005 PSG - Camera Angle Funky
HP.Trot.notsure.JPG (127.42 KiB) Viewed 31149 times
DSC00004.JPG
2007 PSG
DSC00004.JPG (132.8 KiB) Viewed 31149 times

westisbest
Herd Member

Postby westisbest » Tue Oct 20, 2015 12:35 am

Nice to read more of the great group here! Kande you really do a lot of interesting things :)..and I don't know anyone in my crowd that would be out trail riding in snow pants. So yea you! MC that is a beautiful pic of you two.. PSG no less.. very fancy pants. Rode Saturday briefly inside, lunged him first, I think it's useful to build his energy in a good way lol before I hop on. Trot felt a lot easier. Then a friend got on and rode him some at canter as my coach was there and I may need a back up rider going into November.. coach will be away and I have some work supposedly coming up. So he had a good workout. Then went out today, my coach got on him first, she said he was offish, we saw a lump on shoulder under teddy bear coat and felt a line across it that is likely a hoof mark.. first war wound out in field. darn. Buted him cold hosed, popped into stall for the night.. I'll go out early tomorrow with ice and arnica and more cold hosing.. it seems fairly minor.

I too get into a love/hate mood at this time of year. I struggle in the heat, have a medical condition that causes me to be dehydrated very easily so hot weather is a constant struggle to stay hydrated and riding in the heat is almost impossible. I love the quiet, the silence (relative as I live in the 'burbs) of the fall and winter. But the dark! ack!!! never used to bother me but I just want to shut down now. Forced myself to go out for a walk the other night. Have "night sky" app on IPhone wanted to do some star gazing but stupid thing wouldn't open.. anyway I just have to push thru it.. doing stretching, went to gym yesterday. Creaky knees are feeling better.

westisbest
Herd Member

Postby westisbest » Tue Oct 20, 2015 12:48 am

demi wrote::D Such nice reports, really. I think it's great that we are still riding. My closest friend is 69 and she rode up until she was 65. I struggle to not resent that she quit when she did. She was a barrel racer and it's understandable that she doesnt want to do that anymore, but she could still trail ride...she's in decent shape, still has a ridable horse, and owns several hundred acres that we use to ride many hours on. I guess I never could understand the barrel racer mentality ;) She thinks dressage is BORING and that horses weren't made to do "that stuff" and that the only kind of horse worth having is a quarter horse!!(I do happen to appreciate a good QH,though)
okay. I got that off my chest. I really do love the old girl. She still wears her cowboy boots, hat and her BUCKLES!! Looks pretty good, too.

Thanks again for the reports, and MC, that thumbnail by your name looks good but I can't really see it very well. Is that you and your horse doing some fancy dressage? I'd love to know more about him. And Boots-aregard, you're still jumping and enjoying it! Kande, i knew your were going to do some canter work, I'm glad you enjoyed it. Did you do some shallow loops? And Josette, you're only 59 !!(i had to go back and look). Seems you have a large pony. My horse is little, too.
Geez. I have read this board off and on since 2006 and only posted a few times. Now I can't shut up...I blame it on my age.

I know of someone around here (cowboy country) who still barrel races in her 70's. I posted on UDBB that I know a local woman who was profiled in Dressage Today a few years ago that is still riding dressage and very well, at 85. She was still competing at Third a couple of years ago. And had a young horse.. and came off that young horse. Twice.. Then she got an older smaller one. She is also an accomplished driver. Anyway she is a total inspiration. My horse is 22 like MC's a German import, approved Hanoverian stallion, son of Graf Grannus.. did a lot of dressage as well as SJ in his younger days went on to become an FEI eventer, did some of the bigger US events, Jersey Fresh, Galway, was long listed on the Cdn team in his prime with a very talented young rider that
he was leased out to. I bought him at 16 I'm just a low level started late in life person who will not give up as long as the $ and the body hold out. And love this horse beyond anything. He knows more that I can ever learn in this lifetime.

Yes Demi, me too, I rarely posted on old board, but I found my comfort level here it seems :)..

Josette

Postby Josette » Tue Oct 20, 2015 1:17 am

MC - beautiful pics of your guy! He looks quite large too after being around my short guy. Demi - I may be under 60 but some days my body says the opposite. Like many here I've had my share of serious health issues - plus add Lyme disease this past summer. A person comes away recovering with left over side effects and then has to learn how to deal with it. So some days are harder than others - but I need to keep on riding. :)

demi

Postby demi » Tue Oct 20, 2015 3:10 am

musical comedy wrote:Westi and I gave info on our horses before the udbb shut down. I guess you didn't get to read them.

You and your boy are beautiful! I did indeed miss the posts by both you and Westi. The board shut down a day earlier than I was expecting...Thanks for reposting.
I love that you are keeping him going. Your routine sounds just right for both of you. It sounds like we all have changes in our routines as the seasons change and time passes. I guess it might seem like same old same old but it is good to know that we adjust and carry on...

what's his name?

demi

Postby demi » Tue Oct 20, 2015 3:20 am

westisbest wrote:
Yes Demi, me too, I rarely posted on old board, but I found my comfort level here it seems :)..

I'm glad you found your comfort level.

I liked the picture you posted on this board where you're sitting on your horse, leaning over hugging him. He's a lucky boy.I know you have some tough weather conditions to deal with in the winter but it sounds like you have a good system in place for getting through it. I felt your concern when you were debating over putting him on pasture with the other horses. I'm sorry he got kicked, but I still think you made the right decision, he looked so content in front of the big round bale.

demi

Postby demi » Tue Oct 20, 2015 3:24 am

oh yeah, Westi, I also like the picture where your on him in halt. You fit him well.
and, what's his name? I dont think i caught that anywhere, just that he's a G-line Hannoverian.

demi

Postby demi » Tue Oct 20, 2015 3:38 am

Josette wrote: So some days are harder than others - but I need to keep on riding. :)

It sounds like you're doing just that. I was born and raised in Michigan and I can't imagine riding in that bitter cold anymore. Even in snowpants! We used to wear snowmobile boots and our feet wouldn't fit in the stirrups! No I'm a wimp after living in the west for so long. Just wait till summer rolls around again and I start whining about the triple digit heat.

I don't remember seeing pictures of your horse but I remember that he/she is small like my Rocky. Was it you who mentioned a photo of your horse after a bath and you looked little next to him? If so, you must post it! I am 5' 5'' and sometimes I think I must look too big on Rocky. My weight has crept up with age...grrr.

westisbest
Herd Member

Postby westisbest » Tue Oct 20, 2015 3:56 am

demi wrote:oh yeah, Westi, I also like the picture where your on him in halt. You fit him well.
and, what's his name? I dont think i caught that anywhere, just that he's a G-line Hannoverian.

Thanks. The first time I sat on him it was like the Cinderella slipper. Had sat on so many horses over my life but none had fit me like him.
"Galileo"

musical comedy

Postby musical comedy » Tue Oct 20, 2015 11:22 am

My friend and nextdoor neighbor is 68 or about to turn 68. She just WON the Area 1 PSG that was held over the weekend at Lexington, Va. She was 3rd in the very large 2nd Level Class with a 70% and change. Her horses are extremely nice and she does train regularly with a top trainer. Still, her stamina makes me feel like such a loser. I can't imagine vanning two horses by myself for 6-10 hours. Now, she qualified for the Nationals and will be taking them to Kentucky for that. She is so brave. She hacks over to my place to ride in the indoor in inclement weather. It isn't that far, but she comes in horrible conditions like rain, high winds, sleet, etc. I hope there will be pics of her from the Regionals that I can share if she is ok with it. She is a tiny lady both in height and weight.

musical comedy

Postby musical comedy » Tue Oct 20, 2015 11:49 am

westisbest wrote: Then went out today, my coach got on him first, she said he was offish, we saw a lump on shoulder under teddy bear coat and felt a line across it that is likely a hoof mark.. first war wound out in field. darn. Buted him cold hosed, popped into stall for the night.. I'll go out early tomorrow with ice and arnica and more cold hosing.. it seems fairly minor.
Do you think that was why he was NQR? Tell me again how he cut his chest. Was that a pasture accident as well?

westisbest
Herd Member

Postby westisbest » Tue Oct 20, 2015 1:12 pm

musical comedy wrote:
westisbest wrote: Then went out today, my coach got on him first, she said he was offish, we saw a lump on shoulder under teddy bear coat and felt a line across it that is likely a hoof mark.. first war wound out in field. darn. Buted him cold hosed, popped into stall for the night.. I'll go out early tomorrow with ice and arnica and more cold hosing.. it seems fairly minor.
Do you think that was why he was NQR? Tell me again how he cut his chest. Was that a pasture accident as well?[/quote/7

Yes originally it happened sometime when he was out 24/7 no idea what exactly.. Came out in AM and he was ripped open. Then found out from BO that I bought him from that he had had a sarcoid removed from that area years before.. I subsequently did an ultrasound right to sternum few years later when it wouldn't heal, looking for bone fragments or bone necrosis, also did biopsy no saroid etc. Then it blew open last November, did biopsy post surgery again no sign of sarcoid.

Just about to head out with coffee for the 45 minute drive to check on him pre turn out.

kande50

Postby kande50 » Tue Oct 20, 2015 2:13 pm

demi wrote:I was born and raised in Michigan and I can't imagine riding in that bitter cold anymore. Even in snowpants! We used to wear snowmobile boots and our feet wouldn't fit in the stirrups!

We just bought bigger stirrups, because when it's cold and windy it's either arctic pack boots or frozen feet, and the only way I'm going to ride in the cold is if I can do it without freezing. Getting dressed to ride in the winter is part of the workout! :-)

No I'm a wimp after living in the west for so long. Just wait till summer rolls around again and I start whining about the triple digit heat.

:-D

I am 5' 5'' and sometimes I think I must look too big on Rocky. My weight has crept up with age...grrr.

Ha, she doesn't look like she'll ever have any trouble carrying you. Just look at the muscles on her!

kande50

Postby kande50 » Tue Oct 20, 2015 2:16 pm

musical comedy wrote:I did put a very short clip of last month on the pc and I may download it to youtube so you can see how he goes now as a 21 year old. Here's the enlarged avatar pic.

Great pic! I'd love to see the video too, as it looks like he's a really good mover.

musical comedy

Postby musical comedy » Tue Oct 20, 2015 2:23 pm

Here's the championship pic of my 68 year old friend that just won the PSG championship. I'm so proud of her. This horse is not a big horse, but suits her very well.

http://picsofyou.com/store/index.php?do ... ge=1187700

musical comedy

Postby musical comedy » Tue Oct 20, 2015 2:37 pm

kande50 wrote: I'd love to see the video too, as it looks like he's a really good mover.
I'll see what I can do. My problem is getting the SO to take the video. When he does, I know he is not wanting to be out there for long, so I put pressure on myself to have the ride look good. That always fails. I have video from most of my shows, but it's on those handicam tapes and I never download it. I look at the ride, and take still pics of it. I even take the ugly shots, but I won't share them. :D

Maybe Westi will chime in about how it feels to ride a big, big moving horse. Height (measured by the withers) is only part of the equation. Whether they are built uphill and how wide they are comes into play as well. I'm not that tall, although I look it. My horse is rump high. 17h at the rump and only 16.2 at the withers. He has low withers. However, he has a high set on neck. Still, when he decides he wants to move croup high, it is all I can do to rebalance him. Takes strength I don't have. Also, he has long upright pasterns than don't lend themselves to a smooth ride. I probably haven't touched 1/4 of what he is capable of insofar as movement goes. Even when he is doing a pony trot, it feels big to me.

This is what we looked like when I first bought him. I think this was Dec. 2001. I was at my thinnest then and so was he. I am now 20-30 pounds heavier and he is way too fat. I don't want to shower you guys with pics of me, because frankly, I get annoyed with posters that overdo it putting up photos. I had planned to put a group of my photos all in one place and then provide a link. No time.
Attachments
STANDING.jpg
Dec. 2001
STANDING.jpg (144.74 KiB) Viewed 31114 times

kande50

Postby kande50 » Tue Oct 20, 2015 4:13 pm

musical comedy wrote:I'll see what I can do. My problem is getting the SO to take the video. When he does, I know he is not wanting to be out there for long, so I put pressure on myself to have the ride look good. That always fails.

Yup, that would always happen to me, too. Even when a friend offered, I always felt like I was imposing so needed to hurry it up. That's why I now just set up the camera and then spend time editing the footage, because that way I can forget that the camera is rolling when I'm riding, and then I can watch it while I edit it, which I enjoy.

I have video from most of my shows, but it's on those handicam tapes and I never download it. I look at the ride, and take still pics of it. I even take the ugly shots, but I won't share them. :D

Yup, I'll show the warts because I'm interested in the feedback, but maybe not the biggest and ugliest ones! :-)

Even when he is doing a pony trot, it feels big to me.

That's what's happened to me too, as I've lost strength. Or as I say to instructors when they want me to drape my legs instead of pinching, "I have to hang on or I'll fall off!" I don't think most of them have their first clue what it's like to ride with no muscles!

This is what we looked like when I first bought him. I think this was Dec. 2001. I was at my thinnest then and so was he. I am now 20-30 pounds heavier and he is way too fat. I don't want to shower you guys with pics of me, because frankly, I get annoyed with posters that overdo it putting up photos. I had planned to put a group of my photos all in one place and then provide a link. No time.

I love photos and videos, but yes, I too, find page after page of huge photos of basically the same thing a bit tedious. And especially so because for some reason my computer won't go to the last post if there are multiple photos in the same post, but stops there and then I have to scroll down. Fortunately, the few posters who tend to do that do it on threads they start, which I think works out well for everyone.

musical comedy

Postby musical comedy » Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:31 pm

Westi, what happened today when you went to visit Gali? Did you ride him? Was he sound?

westisbest
Herd Member

Postby westisbest » Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:22 pm

musical comedy wrote:Westi, what happened today when you went to visit Gali? Did you ride him? Was he sound?

Rolled into the barn yard with the sunrise he was already out. Brought him in swelling was gone wrapped a couple of polos around his neck and down shoulder and underarm to hold the frozen plastic ice cube bags. He's like a giant stuffie when it comes to doing anything to him he'll stand and never fuss. Put some of the special sauce on "Sore No More" hadn't dressed to ride as I didn't expect him to recover so fast so came home. Making a double batch of golden beet borscht this afternoon ride tomorrow

Hot4Spots
Herd Member

Postby Hot4Spots » Tue Oct 20, 2015 11:00 pm

I'm baaaaack. :lol: Reposting from UDBB. Well, I'm the senior, the horse is not. But I got my previous horse when he was 4 and I was in my 40s, and had him for 20 years, so we were senior rider and senior horse at the end :lol:

Currently I am riding.....not at all (well, once or twice a week doing W/T on a friends elderly (24) Oldenburg - poor thing can't canter or he's lame for a week, but he's fine to walk and trot and do lateral work). My little darling apparently injured himself as well when he dumped me about six weeks ago, so we are sloooooowly rehabbing a suspensory injury and are still at the hand-walking stage. Well, good exercise for me, 25-30 mins a day, twice a day on weekends. He was getting a little too full of himself, so I INNOCENTLY asked the vet to give him a shot of Fluphenazine. Never used it before. Now I now why: $170 for the shot!!! I'm rationalizing that if it lasts for 60-90 days then it's less per month and better than sticking him with a needle with ACE every day. Sigh.

Hand walking has to be one of the most boring things when it's not dangerous, i.e., he does his Hi Yo! Silver routine and nearly jerks my (injured in the fall) arm out :oops: .....so I talk and sing to him. So far, I'm close to exhausting my Gilbert & Sullivan repertoire, so we're moving on to Broadway (Gershwin, Cohan, Lerner & Lowe, Rogers and Hammerstein), and a little bit of CCR (that shows my age - my rock 'n' roll is still that of the '60s (I'm 70). :roll: :lol:

westisbest
Herd Member

Postby westisbest » Wed Oct 21, 2015 12:28 am

Hot4Spots nice to see you join our group! I had to go and peek behind the forbidden "wall" and read a bit of your past. Sorry about the unloading. That is NO darn fun at any age but at our age, takes major courage to suck it up and get back on. So big thumbs up!

FIrst time in my over 20 years of horse ownership I had to hand walk this past year with my guy post surgery for his chest wound. Vet wanted him in stall rest for 8 weeks hay in a net, as little movement as possible to promote healing and avoid scar tissue. So we just handwalked for 5-10 minutes twice a day. The barn staff did the AM, it was a tbred training barn and I wasn't allowed in till after 1 pm when they finished riding the youngsters. He was incredibly good being in a new environment and cooped up in a stall. I was frankly fairly apprehensive they have a hyperbaric chamber in there the first time I decided to go down that aisle we both peeked around the corner at it, horse eater? he said, naa I said, I gotcha... :)...

Woost2
Herd Member

Postby Woost2 » Wed Oct 21, 2015 2:49 am

Hello! I'm 66 and had not ridden except very occasionally since my TB was retired in 1988. And I moved from the mountains of Colorado to Lincoln, Neb. Worked in the horse industry for decades but wasn't riding. So, in May, I half leased this guy.
Duke1.jpg
Duke1.jpg (36.2 KiB) Viewed 31074 times
Wasn't even looking. Or thinking about it. But there was an ad in Craigslist for this big guy on my side of town.

18+ hand draft something named Duke. Not a senior. 8 yo, I think. I was pretty much a nervous wreck the first few weeks. One Adrenalin rush after another. My horse handling skills were so rusty and he is soooo big and my last horse, the previously mentioned TB, I knew to his core. I knew exactly how he would react to anything. Duke ... no clue. Nor did I know how he was trained. Behavior modification? Wrath of god? His owner is a 5 foot nothing 20 something with two kids who I never see. I'm at the boarding stable completely by myself during the day which was another nerve wracking thing. Did I mention he is bloody big? So, I have taken things VERY slowly. Sometimes just grooming, saddling, unsaddling. We had some mounting block issues that were scary but seem resolved. And today, we rode out around the cut cornfield. I was so happy to be riding out. So was he really. He marched right along even though we were alone. It was a totally gorgeous day.

Duke-a-licious is just a hoot. He can be a bit of an oaf but we have worked things out. The owner didn't really want me to get him going on treats, but I felt the need for a connection. Still, don't need a horse that big getting pushy/grabby. So I googled and read a suggestion of feeding by hand only when the horse turns his head away. He learned that in about 30 seconds. He gets nothing if me mugs me. He turns his head all the way to the right and then looks back at me out of the corner of his left (blue) eye. I LOL. ""See ... I'm doing it ..."

Not sure what winter is going to bring. He's on pasture board but they actually live in a series of dirt paddocks in the winter. With run-in roof. Once deer season starts. Just taking it month by month.

demi

Postby demi » Wed Oct 21, 2015 5:04 am

kande50 wrote:
musical comedy wrote:I'll see what I can do. My problem is getting the SO to take the video. When he does, I know he is not wanting to be out there for long, so I put pressure on myself to have the ride look good. That always fails.

Yup, that would always happen to me, too. Even when a friend offered, I always felt like I was imposing so needed to hurry it up. That's why I now just set up the camera and then spend time editing the footage, because that way I can forget that the camera is rolling when I'm riding, and then I can watch it while I edit it, which I enjoy.Kande's words. I messed up the quote

Same here!! My manchild, who is otherwise a technical expert, can't ever seem to figure out how to work the camera I have to stop riding and show him how.

Kande, I have often thought about how you video yourself, but I have trouble seeing your rides because you can't zoom. My older eyeballs need close up stuff. I am thinking about some of the sports cams...

demi

Postby demi » Wed Oct 21, 2015 5:07 am

westisbest wrote:
musical comedy wrote:Westi, what happened today when you went to visit Gali? Did you ride him? Was he sound?

Rolled into the barn yard with the sunrise he was already out. Brought him in swelling was gone wrapped a couple of polos around his neck and down shoulder and underarm to hold the frozen plastic ice cube bags. He's like a giant stuffie when it comes to doing anything to him he'll stand and never fuss. Put some of the special sauce on "Sore No More" hadn't dressed to ride as I didn't expect him to recover so fast so came home. Making a double batch of golden beet borscht this afternoon ride tomorrow

Glad to hear Gali is okay!

demi

Postby demi » Wed Oct 21, 2015 5:14 am

musical comedy wrote:Maybe Westi will chime in about how it feels to ride a big, big moving horse. Height (measured by the withers) is only part of the equation. Whether they are built uphill and how wide they are comes into play as well. I'm not that tall, although I look it. My horse is rump high. 17h at the rump and only 16.2 at the withers. He has low withers. However, he has a high set on neck. Still, when he decides he wants to move croup high, it is all I can do to rebalance him. Takes strength I don't have. Also, he has long upright pasterns than don't lend themselves to a smooth ride. I probably haven't touched 1/4 of what he is capable of insofar as movement goes. Even when he is doing a pony trot, it feels big to me.

I had a big moving Dutch WB that i bought as a yearling. He grew to 16.3 plus and I never enjoyed riding him because I didnt have enough core strength. I kept him till he was 13 and gave him to a friend after I got Demi. I may try to post a pic but it's too much of a hassle to try to find it, shrink, etc., etc. at the moment.

Return to “Senior Horses/Senior Riders”