Senior gals with senior horses

Topic for older horses and older riders
Josette
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Senior gals with senior horses

Postby Josette » Sun Oct 11, 2015 3:55 pm

As musicalcomedy requested - Would it be a good idea to have a new thread just for us 'senior' gals (over 60) with 'senior' horses? :)

I just turned age 59 and ride a large pony - Connemara gelding who I purchased at age 10. I had previously retired and then lost my heart horse. I hadn't planned to collect more horses - but I greatly missed riding as my other retiree has navicular. It was a long search as I didn't want a youngster so ended up with a lovely honie who sadly came with some mental baggage of trust and fear issues. Patience and with the help of a wonderful trainer we have turned the corner and I now have my riding partner. I do not show but really enjoy the challenges of perfecting my equitation and being a better a better rider. So the primary goal is to keep us both SOUND and happy in our work.

Chancellor
Site Admin

Re: Senior gals with senior horses

Postby Chancellor » Sun Oct 11, 2015 3:56 pm

I just created an entire forum for those of us who are older or who have older horses!

westisbest
Herd Member

Postby westisbest » Sun Oct 11, 2015 4:34 pm

Or both? senior riders and or horses. Actively riding seniors, actively going horses. Lots to be gained from others in both realms.

westisbest
Herd Member

Postby westisbest » Sun Oct 11, 2015 4:44 pm

Reposting from UDBB:

Anyway he's 22 was imported from Germany at 4 here to Alberta an approved Hanoverian stallion a son of Graf Grannus. Became a Third level champ here in dressage did the l.5s in SJ, then found his true calling in eventing.. went up to Advanced, did FEI comps in the US, and Canada.He did live breeding and was gelded at around 7. I bought him at 16. Just after I bought him he ripped his chest open somehow out in the field... got stitched drain in, should have healed..didn't. Had biopsy and ultrasound done 3 years ago, couldn't find anything in there, was recommended to do a surgery excision of scar tissue which had probably built up from getting him back to work too soon. But I hoped that nature would heal.. nature did not.. his chest erupted in a horrid mess last November big flap of granulated tissue hanging out. I had the surgery done last December 4, he did amazingly well thru it all, stall rest for a month. Then very restricted movement stall to paddock no lungeing, no riding.. then he started to go sharply downhill. I think his spirit was dying with the lack of work.. I got the go ahead end of July to ease him back and it's been steady uphill since. He has rebuilt almost all his topline, he looks amazing. Me, well, I'm 67 as said. Didn't start riding seriously until I was 45 bought my first horse post divorce. All western stuff for a decade, then got into a German run barn with my paint, trained did some Training level showing, then had the chance to buy this guy. He's a total schoolmaster wants it done correctly. I had a bad tumble or two last one two Decembers ago, had to really amp up my courage. Took an online sports psych course in managing fear on horseback and it really helped. Also I think just having the time and space off this year as hard as it was.. gave me time to really connect with him on the ground. So now I'm rebuilding my skills and stamina, I'm riding in lessons 2x a week and then another two on my own. Hacking around a hay field on the nice days. Goals? do a show hopefully next year.. would love to be able to do some low x rail jumps with him. He's very sound, I give him a loading dose of Ichon (an Adequan type drug) twice yearly. That's it. Just had a full blood work up and physical exam with him looking so poorly in June all was well. So I treasure every day. I waited so long for this horse. He's my dream come true.

Josette

Postby Josette » Sun Oct 11, 2015 4:46 pm

oops - missed it. Can you move this post there?

westisbest
Herd Member

Postby westisbest » Sun Oct 11, 2015 4:47 pm

and I definitely will audit a class or clinic before committing to work with a pro. I've been with the same one (or two actually) for 4 years now. Yesterrday was a non lesson day but my coach was out at the barn. Went to get my guy he seemed a bit tense walking in, well maybe hypervigilant it was very windy and warm out. I turned him out loose in the empty indoor he went charging around in fine form.. told my coach he was amped up she said put him on the ll. So I did. Multi, multi, canter circles, trot, canter trans.. when I asked him to push the canter he went into a surge forward and humpy back almost ripped out of my hand... when he got settled I then set up a cavaletti jump, trotted him over a low pole, he wouldn't stop when I dropped my hand he loves jumping so much. So I set it higher canter jumped him a few times.. It was still blowing a gale, the outside horses were galloping around. I did not feel safe to get on. My coach completely agreed. I told her my job as a rider is to not ask my horse to do a job he's not capable of doing. And yesterday I didn't feel he was capable of being the quiet tolerant schoolmaster for me. I'm pretty impressed tho that our careful rehab with him has brought him back to such a wonderful level of fitness after barely three months back in work. I felt a bit disheartened that I'm still dealing with some anxiety about riding. I've worked hard on this since my offloading two years ago. But it is what it is. Maybe the best thing about being an older rider is you cease to dwell on one day. I gave my horse a good workout, he was happy and mellow after the lunging a lovely bath and a nice hand graze. No one got hurt. A win win I think

Abby Kogler
Herd Member

Postby Abby Kogler » Sun Oct 11, 2015 5:02 pm

I actually feel safer bareback. Some of the worst wrecks I have seen were people hung up in their tack. I am so tall and so long legged and started riding so young on a horse that didn't come with a saddle (and my parents wouldn't have known how or what to buy) so we learned to ride bareback. I had an incredibly fun and wild horseback childhood, where our horses were our transportation after school and we considered saddles for pusses >;-> When I was 12 my parents let me start taking lessons at a local hunter barn and it was really hard for me to get used to the old Stubbens the school had.

I had fear problems twice...once when my youngest was 10 months old and spent several days in the hospital with idiopathic seizure disorder. She was monitored and medicated for over a year and I found I made excuses not to ride. I did anyway, in a lesson program at King Oak since I didn't have an indoor. I would vomit in the car on the way to lessons. It was terrible and gave me real insight in to fear problems, which I had always sort of felt superior to. Looking back I think duh, maternal biology kicked in. That went away with time and a very safe horse I ended up buying from a friend. The second time was when my mom was increasingly dementia-y and then was diagnosed with lung cancer. I was the helping child and it was such a stressful time for both my mom and dad. I again found that I just didn't want to ride and if the horses were silly I just got off. Again I think that it was a subconscious 'I just cant get hurt right now!' thing. I hated it though and went to a hypnotherapist experienced with competitions/nerve issues. Poof. My fears totally went away. I had it mildly again after Jurgens near death experience and went again to a hypno person and poof. I feel great now. So that has really worked for me.

That said, I am not a daredevil by any means and I take my safety very seriously. But I do definitely feel safer bareback. Part of my issue may also be that I am so long legged and long femured that so many off the shelf saddles just don't fit me well and I don't feel good in them and in the past that can make me feel insecure, like my balance is off. I have a variety of saddles now that fit me well and I don't feel that problem. I have a couple of project horses that came to me with bucking/rearing issues and I am not worried about riding them. I do a lot of work with them on the ground and therapeutically as well before even start to ride them so I have a fairly good sense of how they are handling their bodies.

Fear is the worst and I never dismiss it after having experienced it. It was miserable.

Chancellor
Site Admin

Postby Chancellor » Sun Oct 11, 2015 5:08 pm

Per your request, I moved this to the Senior horse/rider forum

Josette

Postby Josette » Sun Oct 11, 2015 5:14 pm

What you all are describing is the exactly the situation I was in when I had to retire my heart horse. I had owned Cloudy since age 4 and lost him at age 24. He was a super kind TB never been raced and rarely got hot and when he did he was so mild mannered about it. He always made sure I stayed on. When I had to give up riding him and searched for another riding horse I decided to go smaller not more than 15.2. I'm a petite rider 5'2" and rode ponies as a kid (4-H) so feel I fit them better. The large 14.2 Connemara I purchased turned out to be very strong and spooky. It has taken almost 3 years to restart him over. Someone previously rushed his training because he is physically very talented but they fried his brain. I knew if I would ever get hurt it would be on this pony and I am careful with him. He has made great progress to the credit of my trainer but I can never erase him old memories. Now I am very careful who handles him so we never back slide after all the trust we gained. I will say he has really progressed my riding because when I ride correctly he certainly responds. He has given me the motivation to keep on learning but it is at our own pace to enjoy our rides.

I type slow so I just saw your replies about bareback and no stirrups. The last time was when I was a kid with my ponies. I never rode my horse bareback and he was actually nervous when I tried it. He somehow associated the saddle was necessary and did not like me on him bareback - granted we only walked around the indoor. Never tried it again after all these years. This pony no way would I attempt it. It simply is not worth getting hurt. Better safe than sorry IMO.

(sorry I've issues typing - dyslexic spelling when in a hurry) :roll:

sugar plum
Greenie

Postby sugar plum » Sun Oct 11, 2015 5:59 pm

Reposting from UDBB

Another senior pair, here.
Just turned Sixty-Four this past summer. Have been leasing an imported Twenty-Three year old German Brandenburg for the past two years.
He'd been a eventer in his past life but trained through Second level when I started riding him. He's been so patient and forgiving with me. He's shared so much of his knowledge with me (including Flying changes which I didnt think I'd ever be able to do) Yes, he's got a few physical limitations and our lessons need to start with longer warm-ups with shorter actual lesson time with lots of walk breaks. My trainer shares my concerns about his well being. At this point, I'm pretty much done with showing but still love to participate in clinics. My objective now is to enjoy our rides and bring out the best in our partnership.

At his age, soundness in an ever present concern with me. He's an easy keeper and loves his "spa days".
However, "our teeth are good and we both have a bit of a tummy" but will continue to enjoy each other's company as long as we can

kande50

Postby kande50 » Sun Oct 11, 2015 7:46 pm

westisbest wrote:I felt a bit disheartened that I'm still dealing with some anxiety about riding. I've worked hard on this since my offloading two years ago. But it is what it is. Maybe the best thing about being an older rider is you cease to dwell on one day.

That, and I think we've seen and experienced how quickly and how badly things can go south, so realize how important it is to avoid accidents if we want to continue to ride.

I was ponying a green mule out today, and kept thinking about all the horrible things that could happen if she took off and I got caught in the lead rope.

Or I'll be riding around and will start thinking about what it would be like to get my foot caught in the stirrup and get dragged!

Fortunately, when I catch myself doing that I am able to switch my thoughts to more positive ones. :-)

boots-aregard
Herd Member

Postby boots-aregard » Sun Oct 11, 2015 8:08 pm

Not sure I qualify. I mean, _I_ do, certainly! But I don't own a horse anymore. I ride different horses at the lesson barn I go to, and am most comfortable on a 17 year old cob mare. I don't think it's her age that I feel good about, but her size. She's about 14.2. The other horses there are bigger -- there's something about 17 hands that hunter riders seem to like. And they're all very well trained, but can still be stupid (probably out of boredom, although some people think horses can't be bored). Anyway, I can handle the 17 year old acting like a dufus, but I'm scared when I do. If the 14.2 hand pony acts like a dufus, I boot her on.

So, for me, size matters. ;)

I didn't mind at all tossing my leg over a 16.2 hand horse in Ireland, but I didn't feel safe on the 17h horse in Nevada. Both of these horses knew their jobs. Hard to be sure what the differential was.

musical comedy

Postby musical comedy » Sun Oct 11, 2015 8:21 pm

boots-aregard wrote:Not sure I qualify. I mean, _I_ do, certainly! But I don't own a horse anymore. I ride different horses at the lesson barn I go to, and am most comfortable on a 17 year old cob mare. I don't think it's her age that I feel good about, but her size. She's about 14.2. The other horses there are bigger -- there's something about 17 hands that hunter riders seem to like. And they're all very well trained, but can still be stupid (probably out of boredom, although some people think horses can't be bored). Anyway, I can handle the 17 year old acting like a dufus, but I'm scared when I do. If the 14.2 hand pony acts like a dufus, I boot her on.

So, for me, size matters. ;)

I didn't mind at all tossing my leg over a 16.2 hand horse in Ireland, but I didn't feel safe on the 17h horse in Nevada. Both of these horses knew their jobs. Hard to be sure what the differential was.
It's been a while since I rode anything small, but I agree it is less intimidating. I can only speak for my big horses, but usually they are not 'quick'. The smaller ones can be more agile and gumby-like and get you off that way. Like those luisitano working equitation horses. I could get dumped from one of them quickly.

Hunter people are really into appearance. A trainer told me once that they insist on a pretty head even. Maybe the 17h ones look more elegant to their eye. 17h is the biggest I've ridden. However, it's not just wither height that makes them big; it's the width and just how they are built.

Srhorselady
Herd Member

Postby Srhorselady » Sun Oct 11, 2015 10:50 pm

Okay..I can identify with the fear issue. BTDT. I haven't fallen off very often in my 25+ years of riding and I've never gotten seriously hurt BUT I am very careful who I get on and under what conditions. When the weather is bad and the horse is spooky I cut the ride short. I admit to being a chicken rider or possibly just cautious given my almost 65 years. As for riding without stirrups, it depends on the horse and the location. In the arena or on the trail with Mariano (16.3 Hanoverian very well trained with perfect manners) yes any time. His idea of a spook is to plant his feet and say "not going any closer" UNLESS there are cattle in the vicinity. Got my best collected walk and Piaff in front of a cattle pen although we were both tense!! However, on Freckles (16.3 OTT jumper who likes to go) yes in the arena...on the trail probably not.

Today I had a very nice ride on Cowboy (15h quarter horse) who I've had almost 2 years, but have only ridden a couple of times. (I have 3 other horses to ride and it is difficult to get them all enough work.). I took over Cowboy for a friend who could no longer afford him financially or continue to physically care for him. She has continued to ride him fairly regularly and I've had my trainer turning a ranch bred, trail riding quarter horse into a dressage horse. He now has a dressage top line and has improved feet. He was fun! I love his size! We kept it fairly simple walk, trot, shoulder in, and leg yield, but it was very successful. Cowboy's size felt soooo good. I am 5 foot 0 and 115lbs and have have always owned (been given) large 16 hand horses so this is a major change. I like it!

westisbest
Herd Member

Postby westisbest » Sun Oct 11, 2015 11:11 pm

Well the UDBB is shut down. No time to copy any posts over now.

Kathy Johnson
Herd Member

Postby Kathy Johnson » Sun Oct 11, 2015 11:22 pm

I'm pretty sure we can generate lots more. :)

Abby Kogler
Herd Member

Postby Abby Kogler » Mon Oct 12, 2015 2:43 am

[quote="musical comedy.[/quote] It's been a while since I rode anything small, but I agree it is less intimidating. I can only speak for my big horses, but usually they are not 'quick'. The smaller ones can be more agile and gumby-like and get you off that way. Like those luisitano working equitation horses. I could get dumped from one of them quickly.

Hunter people are really into appearance. A trainer told me once that they insist on a pretty head even. Maybe the 17h ones look more elegant to their eye. 17h is the biggest I've ridden. However, it's not just wither height that makes them big; it's the width and just how they are built.[/quote]

I think hunters have to be able to make the strides...the smaller horses cant always do that, hence bigger horses usually. That said, there are some very fancy Derby horses who are 16 or 16.1.

I feel more wary when riding a small one; they can be so quick and catty. Since I am 6ft tall, I feel and look fine on my giants >;-> and while they may buck or spook, they certainly could not be called 'catty' >;->

westisbest
Herd Member

Postby westisbest » Mon Oct 12, 2015 3:30 am

Abby we are about the same I'm 5'11" with very long legs. I've ridden all kinds of breeds and sizes from 14.2 H arab to the 17H G boy that I own now. My guy is pretty fast on his feet, can do a TOH that is almost cutting horse fast. But he's so level and balanced that I always feel I have my seat on him.. the times I've come off have been with a big surge forward which he has done twice in different circumstance.. Rider error a better rider would have got a hold of him faster.. anyway, when he was off post surgery I rode a couple of friend's mares, both smaller I would guess around 16H it just felt so odd to me. The devil you know etc :)..

westisbest
Herd Member

Postby westisbest » Mon Oct 12, 2015 3:32 am

Abby we are about the same I'm 5'11" with very long legs. I've ridden all kinds of breeds and sizes from 14.2 H arab to the 17H G boy that I own now. My guy is pretty fast on his feet, can do a TOH that is almost cutting horse fast. But he's so level and balanced that I always feel I have my seat on him.. the times I've come off have been with a big surge forward which he has done twice in different circumstance.. Rider error a better rider would have got a hold of him faster.. anyway, when he was off post surgery I rode a couple of friend's mares, both smaller I would guess around 16H it just felt so odd to me. The devil you know etc :)..
Last edited by westisbest on Mon Oct 12, 2015 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

clanter
Herd Member

Postby clanter » Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:08 am

Josette wrote:As musicalcomedy requested - Would it be a good idea to have a new thread just for us 'senior' gals (over 60) with 'senior' horses? :)

Well I want my own section then (guy/68) :lol: and senior horses, we have a 24 year old who acts like a three old...

kande50

Postby kande50 » Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:32 am

clanter wrote:
Well I want my own section then (guy/68) :lol: and senior horses, we have a 24 year old who acts like a three old...

I think we meant senior riders, or senior horse people! :-)

I have some senior horses but they aren't the ones I use for dressage, but that's not going to stop me from butting in here because I'm interested in the senior riders discussions.

boots-aregard
Herd Member

Postby boots-aregard » Mon Oct 12, 2015 2:12 pm

kande50 wrote:
clanter wrote:

I think we meant senior riders, or senior horse people! :-)

My first thought was, "Oh, but what about Mike and Clanter!" And then I thought: "High time they had to respond to a pronoun that doesn't quite fit."

So, here, try that hat on, Clanter and Mike! You're gals now.

Aramuse
Greenie

Postby Aramuse » Tue Oct 13, 2015 6:29 pm

First of all I would just like to say that being able to legitimately post here SUCKS!!!

I somehow made it to 62; I was a brave rider when I had my heart horse - I lost him ten years ago. 18 mos ago I had an accident - got kicked, broken femur resulted in hip replacement (or as I call it 'my Home Depot' part). About a year now I was told I could start back to riding - for the most part I find every reason not to. I have four horses - my TB mare is my main riding horse and she's pretty solid. I have a smaller 22 year old Arabian stallion who is also a rather good guy but I always feel big on him. One Arabian gelding that is not rideable. And I just obtained a Mustang gelding that is 24, broke, but ws never given enough miles and good handling to be trusting of humans. (But I REALLY like him).

I find it interesting that some of the earlier posts say they feel better bareback. I was just at a Greg Kersten workshop and we talked about that.
I need to get my ass back in the saddle...one of the things that happens after a hip replacement is learning to trust the new part when posting etc.

Just need to get my senior butt back in the saddle...

kande50

Postby kande50 » Tue Oct 13, 2015 7:49 pm

Aramuse wrote:
I find it interesting that some of the earlier posts say they feel better bareback.

I have enough trouble staying in the saddle. Rode our Halflinger mare out today and what a wiggle worm she is. I thought of this thread and the idea of riding bareback and realized that we wouldn't have been trotting if I'd been bareback, because I was feeling a little tippy in the saddle! :-)

Just need to get my senior butt back in the saddle...

If the interest is there it'll happen. I didn't feel like riding for a much longer time than usual this summer, and then all of sudden, for some unknown reason, I wanted to ride again. Rode twice today, for the first time in forever. Hope it lasts!

westisbest
Herd Member

Postby westisbest » Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:21 pm

Hadn't been out for two days and I was feeling somewhat unsure of myself after Saturday's wind up the tail workout. It was cool but sunny my coach rode him today and he looked wonderful. I had turned him out in the indoor arena first and he was 100% calmer today. After Saturday I had been wrestling with the idea of turning him back out in the big field with other geldings. He's been in stall (night) and small paddock ever since his surgery.. well 4 weeks stall rest immediately post op. Maybe I'm being anthropomorphic but I feel that he misses the group interaction and of course, he's much better off moving freely as much as he wants. His old turnout field has a mare in it now. they are a higher energy group, which was great for him before the high energy but he can still get studly lol, so no mares for Mr. G! His chest will always be vulnerable (the wound area) it's healed a great deal but still has a way to go about 3/4" by 3" area that's scabbed and healing. But there is no shelter in the day paddocks and he can't be blanketed so I have been stressing about winter coming. So today, after consultations all around with my coach, the BO, and a friend, the decision was made. We took him into the group there are 6 other geldings there, 2 of which he knows, one of whom is a best buddy. There was the usual posturing, squeeling and wheeling but they settled quickly. I started to walk away and he followed me. He followed me all the way up the fenceline to the top of the field. It made me choke up with emotion, here I was thinking that he missed equine company, had a field full of freedom and he wanted to be with me. He stopped near the top and started grazing, all by himself. I walked away and gave a huge sigh of relief. Put my stuff away unloaded some feed. When I was ready to leave, the other horses had joined him up top.. his best bud a 19yr old OTTB by his side. It seems there's never an end to difficult decisions when you have animals. Tomorrow, back in the saddle.

musical comedy

Postby musical comedy » Wed Oct 14, 2015 12:45 am

Westi, that all sounds promising. Why did you miss two days? Just not up for it?

What is your weather like at this time?

We're having some beautiful weather. It is warm in the daytime, but drops a good bit overnight. One night it went down to 39. My horse will not go to pasture if there is any chance of a bug. He is such a wimp. But now, he is out and about as soon as the sun goes down. He is definitely more happy and forward in the cool weather.

I've read that a lot of posters use magnesium to calm their spirited horses. Have you tried it; is it an option for you?

westisbest
Herd Member

Postby westisbest » Wed Oct 14, 2015 1:08 am

musical comedy wrote:Westi, that all sounds promising. Why did you miss two days? Just not up for it?

What is your weather like at this time?

We're having some beautiful weather. It is warm in the daytime, but drops a good bit overnight. One night it went down to 39. My horse will not go to pasture if there is any chance of a bug. He is such a wimp. But now, he is out and about as soon as the sun goes down. He is definitely more happy and forward in the cool weather.

I've read that a lot of posters use magnesium to calm their spirited horses. Have you tried it; is it an option for you?

MC, I generally ride 4x a week. So they were planned days off at least Sunday was. Cdn Thanksgiving here. It's such a long drive 90km return that I sometimes just want a break. Oh mine loves to be out all the time. He isn't too bothered by flies, we live in a good climate here. Was in one jumping barn for a few months that had a lot of standing water so I bought him a "beekeeper" suit lol, "Turtle" fly sheet and neck piece plus a fly mast. He hasn't worn it in 4 years. Yea I have read all those mag threads. He gets a high quality vit/min supplement daily so doubt he has any mag deficiencies. And I think feeding one mineral or vit in excess can create deficiencies on others.. same with humans. I mostly LIKE him spirited! he is a slow one to warm up, kind of slog, slog, and then WOW you have a lot of horse under you. that's the daily with him. 95% of the time. But he does love the fall and winter and now he can burn off sillies with the boys out in the field.. instead of old mom :).

westisbest
Herd Member

Postby westisbest » Wed Oct 14, 2015 1:12 am

And weather is beautiful here. True Indian summer (are we still allowed to use that phrase lol ?) warm days 17-21 C .. or about 62 -75F and cool nights.. beautiful clear blue sky perfect riding weather. All my friends have been going up to the mountains ie foothills of the Rockies, which is about an hour's haul away. But we didn't get back into riding shape early enuf this year, plus he would need shoes all around for the rocks so hopefully we'll have that to look forward to next year. We went once and he was a perfect mountain horse and loved it.. we were with two gals riding mares at the back, I'm sure he thought he was personally in charge of taking those mares somewhere!

demi

Postby demi » Wed Oct 14, 2015 4:16 am

I was just starting to think that summer was finally over and then the hot weather came back. Yesterday it got to 99f (farenheit, but I was thinking of another f word). Today felt just as hot but I refused to look at the thermometer.
I did arena work after 2 days off and it was okay all things considered. Rocky has started to get her winter coat and I think the heat was annoying her. My knees were creaky when I posted and that made me wonder if I was putting too much weight in the stirrups. I adjusted accordingly and my knees felt better.
Westisbest, it sounds like you're in the groove (and I'm impressed that you've taken the big guy up in the mountains). I try to average 4 rides a week, too. It seems to be working for me. The hardest times for me to keep that schedule is in the hottest part of the summer and the coldest part of the winter. I stiffen up in the cold.
Aramuse, GET YOUR BUTT IN THE SADDLE! Not trying to offend you, but you said it yourself, and it sure seems like you want to be riding. I'm cheering for you.
Kande, I liked you're mule pics from another thread. Glad to hear you rode twice in one day. That's encouraging to hear. I am really encouraged by this whole thread.

kande50

Postby kande50 » Wed Oct 14, 2015 10:25 am

demi wrote:I did arena work after 2 days off and it was okay all things considered. Rocky has started to get her winter coat and I think the heat was annoying her.

I found a pic you posted of Demi, but have you posted one of Rocky? I looked, but haven't been able to find anything more about her.

I think the size limit for pix may be much lower than on udbb. I was trying to post a pic and had to shrink it down considerably before it would post-- maybe even smaller than 100kb. The ones that friends posted on facebook were small enough as they were, though.

Kathy Johnson
Herd Member

Postby Kathy Johnson » Wed Oct 14, 2015 1:26 pm

When do we get to complain about our aches and pains? :)

Josette

Postby Josette » Wed Oct 14, 2015 2:01 pm

musical comedy

Postby musical comedy » Wed Oct 14, 2015 2:11 pm

kande50 wrote:I found a pic you posted of Demi, but have you posted one of Rocky? I looked, but haven't been able to find anything more about her.
She did. It was that pretty-faced bay filly. Part arab, I think.

Kathy Johnson
Herd Member

Postby Kathy Johnson » Wed Oct 14, 2015 2:31 pm

LOL, thanks Josette!

Josette

Postby Josette » Wed Oct 14, 2015 3:27 pm

I managed to ride 3 days in a row and feel good. Pony got a little bored yesterday so I did more canter which gets him activated. He can be either sluggish or the energizer bunny so trying to get that relaxed forward mental state with him. Rode late the other evening which wasn't a good idea because a flock of wild turkeys came into our wooded trails to roost in the trees. So only got 2 loops on the trail before we heard them crashing about in the trees. Last year, I had a buck standing on the trail who didn't run - - - I turned around and yielded the trail to him. ;)

kande50

Postby kande50 » Wed Oct 14, 2015 4:18 pm

musical comedy wrote: She did. It was that pretty-faced bay filly. Part arab, I think.

I'll keep looking, as I like to be able to put horse faces with screen names. Was she a bay?

kande50

Postby kande50 » Wed Oct 14, 2015 4:21 pm

Kathy Johnson wrote:LOL, thanks Josette!

Now we need another thread for the more serious injuries, and how to cope with them. I won't be able to participate because I don't have any, or at least have fully healed from any I had, unless we're going to count muscle loss as a serious injury! :-)

musical comedy

Postby musical comedy » Wed Oct 14, 2015 4:43 pm

kande50 wrote:
musical comedy wrote: She did. It was that pretty-faced bay filly. Part arab, I think.

I'll keep looking, as I like to be able to put horse faces with screen names. Was she a bay?

Kris, the photo was posted on udbb. Long gone now. She put up two pics. One when the filly was 2 and then a more recent one (8 year?) with the filly standing in a barn aisle. It was medium bay with a little white on the face. Really pretty; my type, which is why I remember her so well.

kande50

Postby kande50 » Wed Oct 14, 2015 4:54 pm

musical comedy wrote:Kris, the photo was posted on udbb. Long gone now. She put up two pics. One when the filly was 2 and then a more recent one (8 year?) with the filly standing in a barn aisle. It was medium bay with a little white on the face. Really pretty; my type, which is why I remember her so well.

Ah, that explains it.

demi

Postby demi » Wed Oct 14, 2015 10:55 pm

drat. I just posted a picture of Rocky (or thought i did)and it went poof. I have to go now but will try again later

demi

Postby demi » Thu Oct 15, 2015 12:58 am

here's Coco's Bey Rocket (Rocky). I took the pic last week. She's 8 yrs old, 14.2 hh (14.3 behind :|) out of a Colonel Freckles daughter (AQHA) by a big boned Arabian stallion who's breeding I can't remember. I picked her out when she was 2 but didnt buy her till she was 3. Her breeder lives nearby and he owns, broke, and trained both sire and dam to championship working cow horses.
Attachments
Rock 62KB.jpg
Rock 62KB.jpg (61.7 KiB) Viewed 33650 times

demi

Postby demi » Thu Oct 15, 2015 1:33 am

Anyone else ride today? how'd it go? Please share, because it's encouraging to know we're still trying.

My knees hurt and it was uncomfortable to dismount but the ride was good. I am working 1st and a little second level and the main thing for the last 3-4 weeks has been to shorten my reins. Rocky hasn't wanted to give me the amount of submission I would like since i first started riding her and being a hot little mare, I've tried to be tactful about how i ask for submission. I have probably taken it way too slowly, but I'M PLAYIN THE OLD LADY CARD on this! I don't want her to realize how stiff i really am, so i have been careful about asking only things I know I can follow through on.

There have been some issues with a shorter rein. She can easily go behind the vertical to evade so I just haven't let her get into that. I just rode
with a longer rein and insisting that she stay forward. When i did finally start shortening the reins about three wks ago, she tossed her head a bit, and then tried to pull the reins out of my hands, but then she settled down and surprised me with some nice cooperation. I have made her stand sqaure by the mounting block since i first started riding her and now I have added that she has to let me shorten the reins to the new riding length before i even get on.

We also started to work on counter canter by doing the shallow loop thing from one of the tests (i don't remember which one but i think it's 1st level). Today i had the first good response from her after reading a comment on another training thread about engageing the core to stay balanced.

kande50

Postby kande50 » Thu Oct 15, 2015 12:25 pm

demi wrote:here's Coco's Bey Rocket (Rocky).

Thanks, Demi. MC was right, she's a very pretty horse.

kande50

Postby kande50 » Thu Oct 15, 2015 1:27 pm

demi wrote:Anyone else ride today? how'd it go? Please share, because it's encouraging to know we're still trying.

Not yesterday because it was raining and I wanted to ride outside, but I got some video the day before when we worked on trying to get a little more without completely losing our balance on the turns. Bending is a real challenge for us, and I just can't seem to leave it alone and just ride.

https://youtu.be/2yd_ZmfqwaM

demi

Postby demi » Thu Oct 15, 2015 1:38 pm

I watched the vid of Sting. I watch some of his stuff back on UDBB and always thought you did just fine with him.
I think you should have a century club goal with him. I do with Rocky.
Thanks for sharing your progress.

kande50

Postby kande50 » Thu Oct 15, 2015 1:59 pm

demi wrote:I think you should have a century club goal with him. I do with Rocky.

Thanks, Demi. I had a lot of help getting him started, which was just what I needed under the circumstances.

The Century Club idea is interesting, but I wish it was more about old riders on any horse rather than the combination, as it makes me uncomfortable to see old horses worked harder than may be prudent, or kind, to attain rider goals.

You and I have plenty of time to prepare for it though, as you're what, 62, riding an 8 year old, and I'm 65 riding an 11 year old, so we may both be ready for the Century Club in another 15 or so years when our horses will still be in their 20's.

None of our older horses have ever started to decline significantly until they were in their late 20's, so early to mid 20's should work just fine!

Anyone else looking toward the Century Club with a current horse?

westisbest
Herd Member

Postby westisbest » Thu Oct 15, 2015 9:14 pm

Rode the first time today in almost a week. My mind has been overwhelmed with stuff (non-riding stuff, ie family, $$$) so didn't feel mentally capable for a couple of days. But a good long sleep, attacking some problems and felt as if I had enuf focus today to get on the horse. My balance is crappy too, and my knee is making weird crunchy sounds when I post the trot. So today I warmed up at walk and did more sitting trot. I totally refuse to make excuses for my self based on age. Just have to push harder and do the work necessary to get back in shape. So did two Yoga/stretch/movement classes this week. My leg strength has deteriorated along with my balance.Since I lost my dog two years ago, I find it hard to motivate myself to walk so mainly do cardio and weights at the gym. But the weather looks promising for another couple of weeks so even a low key ride like today feels wonderful out in the bright fresh air on a perfect autumn day. And my horse is totally blissed out having the field turnout.. spending more time hugging the round bale lol than running around. But he didn't seem tired at all today with the added mileage so it's all good.

kande50

Postby kande50 » Thu Oct 15, 2015 10:07 pm

westisbest wrote:Just have to push harder and do the work necessary to get back in shape.

Only trouble is, as soon as I start pushing harder something gives!

My leg strength has deteriorated along with my balance.

Which is why I need a horse to carry me around. My goal is to ride enough to maintain enough muscle to stay on, and surprisingly, when I ride more actively it's not my legs that get sore, but my abs. So I guess staying upright in the saddle is more work than it seems like it should be?

musical comedy

Postby musical comedy » Thu Oct 15, 2015 10:12 pm

I spent most of my day today in traffic court <sigh>. I got a ticket a couple months ago for talking on the cell while driving. It's a mandatory court appearance for that, and a minium fine of $200 for first offense. The judge threw the book at me to the tune of $438. He says he considers driving with the cell as bad as a DUI. My old lady look didn't get me any credit. :D

I had to sit on those hard wooden bench seats for over two hours in a roomfull of unsavory looking characters. It was very stressful. The drive was one hour each way. So, no riding nor exercise for me today. Pffft.

westisbest
Herd Member

Postby westisbest » Thu Oct 15, 2015 10:41 pm

Kande, you are doing your farm chores I'm sure you're quite fit :). I was doing a very tough physical job just a few months ago, working as a gardener at a Tbred racing farm 8 hours a day almost non stop. I was wrecked at first but after the first couple of weeks did ok.. So I know I'm not a total loss, just have let things slide. Which 10 years ago would have been nothing, now it's use it or lose it.

MC, that's just a sucky day. Fines are ridiculous here and I tend to be a leadfoot so I've had my share of traffic court etc. Hope we all get some riding time in this weekend. Tomorrow is gym day, plan to ride Saturday but my nephew just phoned and my niece is in emerg with blood clots in her leg so ... plans could change.

Return to “Senior Horses/Senior Riders”