what is a senior rider?

Topic for older horses and older riders
greenholmeshandy
Novice

what is a senior rider?

Postby greenholmeshandy » Sun Nov 06, 2016 7:30 pm

I still feel 30 in my mind and heart but I'm a bit older than that (53 this month). I just wondered what a senior rider is, is the definition age. Experience, health or what?
formerly UDBB user known as Brychensmum

kande50
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: what is a senior rider?

Postby kande50 » Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:30 am

greenholmeshandy wrote:I still feel 30 in my mind and heart but I'm a bit older than that (53 this month). I just wondered what a senior rider is, is the definition age. Experience, health or what?

Maybe if you feel senior then you're senior enough to be considered a senior rider?

Some think they reach senior status when the "courage" hormones decrease to the point where they no longer want to start babies or ride through melt downs. I think of those hormones more as "foolhardy" hormones now, so have definitely reached senior status.

musical comedy

Postby musical comedy » Mon Nov 07, 2016 11:34 am

53 is not a senior imo. I guess to a 20 year old, it might be.

Josette

Postby Josette » Mon Nov 07, 2016 12:57 pm

I just turned 60 and my body warm=up is critical to be an effective rider. So body stiffness is my challenge and regular exercise is required to keep me moving and avoid weight gain. So rider fitness is harder and takes extra time and effort than when I was younger. I'm also much more aware of safety and want to be in control and secure during my rides. I can sit big spooks and small buck but no more crazies for me.

kande50

Postby kande50 » Mon Nov 07, 2016 1:36 pm

musical comedy wrote:53 is not a senior imo. I guess to a 20 year old, it might be.

Or to a 30 or 40 year old! :-)

The older I get the more I can't believe how much I was willing and able to do 5, 10, 15, 20 years ago.

musical comedy

Postby musical comedy » Mon Nov 07, 2016 3:26 pm

kande50 wrote:The older I get the more I can't believe how much I was willing and able to do 5, 10, 15, 20 years ago.
I may have written this in the past, but my good friend is 7 years older than I. When I was 60, she warned me that there is a very big jump (downward) from 60 to 65. She was right. And now I will tell you all, that the jump from 65 to 70 is even bigger. 5 years is nothing when you are a young age. The older you get, the more 5 years matter. I have pics of my late mother when she was 83. She was very agile, going to bingo regularly on the bus, going to town to shop, etc. By the time she died at 90, she was in a wheelchair and ready to meet her maker. Not because she had some big disease; just old age.

All that said, I feel there is huge discrimation against the elderly and especially the older riders. If you call on a sale horse and tell them you are 65, what do you think they envision? An unfit, timid, beginnerish rider. And then you get the "you look good for your age". Why do people have to add the for your age part? Or the "boy, I hope I can ride that well when I am your age" Irritates the heck out of me.

Sue B

Postby Sue B » Mon Nov 07, 2016 4:32 pm

All that said, I feel there is huge discrimation against the elderly and especially the older riders. If you call on a sale horse and tell them you are 65, what do you think they envision? An unfit, timid, beginnerish rider. And then you get the "you look good for your age". Why do people have to add the for your age part? Or the "boy, I hope I can ride that well when I am your age" Irritates the heck out of me.

mc, please don't take that as a put down or insult. Wear your age with pride and know that you are an inspiration to younger riders, be they 50 or 40 or 30.

So far as "what is a senior rider", I am 55 and a mom to a 14 year old, so I am not a "senior" yet! I think after age 65 or so (?) you could be called "senior." Then again, it depends what side of 40 you're on. :lol:

Josette

Postby Josette » Mon Nov 07, 2016 8:21 pm

I just wanted to add that I had down sized too. I started with ponies as a kid and am back to riding a large pony. The only way I'd get back on large horse again would be a schooling horse who would take care of me. The height bothers me now being that far from the ground. :oops:

When I was shopping a few years ago I specified that I was an older rider to emphasize I would not test ride any yahoos. When I was complemented that I was a decent rider for my age I was grateful that I could still ride. The desire to continue riding was still so strong for me I was happy to be given one last chance at it.

kande50

Postby kande50 » Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:01 pm

Josette wrote: The height bothers me now being that far from the ground. :oops:

I got used to the extra height and don't really notice it, anymore. I had a 15.2 hand horse in my 30's and 40's, then a 16.2 hand one in my early 50's, and now a 17 hand one in my 60's. With luck I'll still be riding this one when I'm in my 80's, and he'll be much less spooky by then. :-)

Kelo
Herd Member

Postby Kelo » Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:34 pm

In the Quarter Horse world, when you turn 50 you're eligible for the Select division.

It has its own world show!

Helps people look forward to the milestone ;)

boots-aregard
Herd Member

Postby boots-aregard » Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:17 pm

Josette wrote:I just wanted to add that I had down sized too. I started with ponies as a kid and am back to riding a large pony. The only way I'd get back on large horse again would be a schooling horse who would take care of me. The height bothers me now being that far from the ground. :oops:

Me, too, only I have to say I've been riding a friend's 16.3 h TB this past few months, and boy, is he a sweetheart. I really don't feel unsafe on him. (though a tumble would be felt more). "Well Broke" is now my catchphrase.

I adore the large pony I usually lesson on.

I'm early 60s. My sore knees tell me I'm a senior rider. ;(

Return to “Senior Horses/Senior Riders”