Senior Feet and Toe Nails

Topic for older horses and older riders
Srhorselady
Herd Member

Senior Feet and Toe Nails

Postby Srhorselady » Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:34 am

Demi's recent experience with being stepped on resounded with me. Several years ago my almost 1400 lb Hanoverian stepped on my big toe and I fell backwards and ripped the entire nail off. (VERY painful). I couldn't wear closed toe shoes for several weeks. I assumed the nail was permanently gone, but about a year later it started to grow back. It grew in fits and starts and came in very ugly. Half way through the process it got partially crunched again and stared to grow crooked. Now it is thick ugly and crooked and very difficult to trim. The other foot has a bruised, red and black nail from a stubbed toe, not a horse this time :D When I saw my doctor last week I asked if I should see a podiatrist. He asked if I wanted the nail removed since that is what a podiatrist would do. He got a very quick NO. Sooo I'm thinking of a pedicure. I've gotten manicures before, but never a pedicure and this is really ugly. The nail is very hard to trim and when it gets long it interfears with the neighbor toe. I assume most of you have had your feet stepped on and as you get older nails get pretty ugly. Do you get pedicures? Are the salons too shocked or do you go some where special or how do you handle? Or do all of you have beautiful feet?

demi
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: Senior Feet and Toe Nails

Postby demi » Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:18 am

If I can get the gumption to take a pic of my very ugly toes I'll post it. Not now, tho, I just ate dinner.

musical comedy

Postby musical comedy » Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:45 pm

A subject I know well :D . I have had toes and feet stepped on too many times to remember. Many!! I've had the big toe turn black and loose the nail. I have never had it grow back really 'ugly', but I don't have pretty feet and toes to begin with.

I went through a glamour period back in 97-99. I got the fake nails and pedicures on a regular basis. I got foot reflexology too (purr). I love the pedicures! The good ones put you in the bath with the bubbly water. The feet come out looking beautiful and painted if you hopefully choose.

At brief times recently, I thought about getting one when I put on my sandals to go to a doctor appointment. I think 'omg my feet look bad'. But then, I just sigh and forget about it.

The times I've been in the salon, there are a lot of seniors getting their nails done.

Sue B

Postby Sue B » Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:33 pm

Both my mother and mil get pedicures...something that my mom never had done before...they are both 86 now with thick nails etc. I can't stand to touch another person's feet and they are finding it difficult to get to their nails. They get it done at my hair salon, takes and hour and includes a foot and lower leg massage. I guarantee the pedicurist has seen it all and then some. They both leave very happy and very relaxed. For me, the thought of a pedicure gives me the heebee jeebies. :oops:

demi

Postby demi » Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:56 pm

Sue B wrote:... For me, the thought of a pedicure gives me the heebee jeebies. :oops:

Eeewww... I know, right?!

kande50

Postby kande50 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:03 am

Maybe when I get too old and stiff to be able to bend over far enough to cut my own toenails, although I'll probably find a way to mount the Dremel so that I can push my toenails up against it to trim them.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:39 am

A good pedicure is what I do when I feel like I need a me treat. Or a mother son treat, since I have raised my son to appreciate them too. They shape the nails trim away dead skin, rasp away hard heel calluses. I will admit to not totally trusting their disinfecting methods so I do dip my feet to disinfect again when I get home.

demi

Postby demi » Fri Jun 30, 2017 3:31 pm

kande50 wrote:Maybe when I get too old and stiff to be able to bend over far enough to cut my own toenails, although I'll probably find a way to mount the Dremel so that I can push my toenails up against it to trim them.

hahaha! I can just imagine.

I'm just gonna let my old thick toenails grow until they grow out the holes in my crocs! :lol: That will be a long time from now, hopefully. I can still clip them and they really havent gotten thick yet. I do like Kande's idea though....

musical comedy

Postby musical comedy » Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:06 pm

What's with these thick toenails? Mine are no different than when I was young. DH is a really old and his aren't thick either.

Srhorselady
Herd Member

Postby Srhorselady » Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:47 pm

My only really thick one is the big toe nail that grew in damaged. It is so thick that normal nail scissors won't cut it. However my 87 year old mother's toe nails are all pretty thick and curved so they are difficult to cut. I think I'm going to try the pedicure route. My brother has been cutting Mom's nails (he lives near her), but I suggested he schedule her for a pedicure since it's not a task he enjoys.

texsuze
500 post plus club

Postby texsuze » Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:06 pm

I'd rather clean my gelding's sheath (which I do) than trim someone's toe nails. And while we're on the subject, what's with all the old dudes and long fingernails? I don't mean the folks who are in various stages of dementia, but the old walkie-talkie men who appear to abandon their nail clippers once they hit 80?

Return to “Senior Horses/Senior Riders”