Wondering about buying another pony....

Topic for older horses and older riders
Josette
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Wondering about buying another pony....

Postby Josette » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:20 pm

This has been a rough summer after loosing my little Sparky dog a few weeks ago. Emotionally and psychologically I was devastated and going crazy in the house expecting him to come down the stairs or enter a room. He was my shadow. Every evening we would sit together wedged in my recliner reading a book or web surfing. He slept in my office while I worked during the day. DH was depressed too so it was easy to convince him to get more rescue dogs. So we adopted a 10 week old corgi mix puppy (Joey) and also a 3 year terrier mix (Jake) to give the puppy confidence and a mature buddy. These are lovely dogs and are helping make peace with our loss. (Name change from Mika to Joey)

https://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/38465748

Recently while web surfing I came across several large dressage ponies within easy driving distance. I knew I liked them immediately and they were sold very quickly. Maybe a good thing because I was circling about inquiring about them. Anyway I just found another located nearby on Dressage Daily site - former hunter pony appears to be making a career change. He caught my eye for his size, maturity/age, safety and mileage. He is lower level in training but so am I - with no aspirations to ride GP. i ride for fun and because it makes me feel good inside. Showing doesn't matter and never did.

My current pony (age 17) who I love forever but is not an easy ride - he makes me work and sometimes makes me feel frustrated. You know those rides. :roll: Anyway I'm wondering about this sale pony and if I should go check him out. I'm almost age 61 but still want to continue riding as long as I can and hope to retire end of next year. DH is a a few years younger and will still be working to cover our health insurance. My happy place is in the barn and not cleaning house or being domestic indoors. Sure I could redo the interior house floors, paint, etc. but frankly I don't care about it. I'ts a farm house and not House and Garden magazine. So am I crazy to be considering another horse when I should be looking at places to retire????

musical comedy

Re: Wondering about buying another pony....

Postby musical comedy » Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:43 pm

Being that I'm in a similar situation, but much older, I'm not the best to advise. I'm a glass half empty person, but most here know that.

Ok...I'm going to ramble, so bear with it.

Everytime I bought a horse (and there have been several), I wanted to buy a horse. For me personally, that is why I haven't bought another. I don't feel the constant desire. Well, I do for a while, but then it leaves me when I think about all the bad stuff that can happen. Ask yourself if getting this new pony excites you? It should. The last horse I bought was off an auction in Holland. I just fell in love and got into a bidding war ending up pay much more than I should have. I wanted that mare!

The age thing is weird. Here most of us are 60+ but in relatively good health and there are others much younger that have all sorts of serious illness. So...in one respect age shouldn't be a limiting factor. Health in general IS a factor though. I think about 'what if' I become unable to care for my horse(s). Well, sure we can board them out, but I don't have money for that, especially if I become widowed. Another choice is we could sell them, but then it has to be a horse that is marketable. Lastly, we could PTS. A horrible though I know, but one that I would make before I'd risk a horse going to a bad place. This is just one thing I toss around in my mind that puts a halt on another purchase.

The next thing is horse unsoundness. Again, here we here are with old, sound horses, and some of the younger horses owned by our members are injured. My friend nextdoor has two 6 figure horses laid up right now. One with both hind suspensories sore and the other with a front suspensory injury. High level dressage work did that along with some bad luck. Think about how we would feel if we shell out the money for a horse and it turns around and gets hurt right away. It isn't even the downtime and not riding. No...it is the WORK that we have to do to care for an injured horse. The icing, the hand walking, the risk of colic while they are stalled. Etc. Etc. Further, we hardly even know the history of a horse we buy and what kind of injury or colic it had before. I think a lot of those imports come with old injuries just waiting to happen again.

I continue to window shop. I consider myself very very good at identifying red flags. Sometimes I'm probably wrong, but why take the risk. Just the other day I saw a mare that would be perfect for me and cheap too. I just can't make the call.

Now for you, Josette, if you feel healthy and have enough funds to take care of anything bad that might happen, I say go for it. At least go check him out and ride him. See if you feel a big improvement over what you have. You should like him right away. Don't think about you can fix this or that.

Your new pup is cute. There can never be a replacement for my Scotti. I cannot even bear to think about with without tearing up and it's been 7 years.

Josette

Postby Josette » Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:32 pm

MC - I'm on the same page as you weighing the same pros/cons. Age is not the issue but health is what matters. I've had health issues in the past and really work on maintaining my health. However, we never know when a sudden health crisis may occur - so I figure enjoy life while I can.

I have a retired navicular PT/QH age 21 who I haven't ridden in 11 years. He is on Previcox and appears comfortable for pasture soundness (trots and canters on his own terms). I'm in agreement about PTS an older horse with maintenance issues. I'd do that before I'd let them possibly end up in a bad place. They are my responsibility.

Actually the one pony that sold last week was the one I was really hooked on. He was initially listed when I lost my dog - bad timing and I simply couldn't drive out. Then I sprouted a stye on my eye lid and looked like a freak walking around in sunglasses to hide my face. I saw he was sold last week and I knew I had missed out on a nice pony. He was the one who got away.....

I hear you about 'fixing' issues as I've hopefully learned my lesson there. I'll discuss with DH and may go out to view/ride this pony as he is so close by.

Srhorselady
Herd Member

Postby Srhorselady » Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:59 pm

I'll enable! 61 is still young enough to take care of two or three horses. (I don't recommend 5 at 66.) :D I also would recommend mature horses, not young greenies, who are hopefully sound. Like you I am not a "house" person and I retired last year. It is definitely better to have barn work and a routine in order to avoid the house work :D :D and stay active. The other advantage of mature horses is you can ride them when you feel like it and not because they need the miles. Go For It!

musical comedy

Postby musical comedy » Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:01 am

Josette, if it's not too personal, what happened with your urinary issues. You can PM if you want or just ignore. I am still having urinary problems. I won't bore the board with the details.

I have also noticed that the good horses sell quickly. One has to act very fast. I've noticed that when the FB page for dressage horses has a horse listing for a reasonable price, they get like 40 replies. Everyone is looking for a safe, sound, cheap horse with a little bit of good training. :D

Josette

Postby Josette » Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:21 am

Sent you PM. Yes - the nice ones go quick and you have to move fast on them. I was not actively shopping but when one turns my head - I get very motivated and seriously am considering one last harrah.

Srhorselady - yes, the ones that appeal to me are the 'mature' ones and being petite I do prefer a smaller mount. I have a small size dressage ring and it can be a challenge at times riding in a more confined space.

Flight

Postby Flight » Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:40 am

I'd encourage going and looking but waiting for the one that really catches you and you love it. Not one that will just be ok.
MC has outlined all the cons and worth considering too.

demi

Postby demi » Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:23 am

i love getting new horses and it definitely sparks up my life. I got my last new one, Emma, when I was 62. I am still enjoying the newness even though she has some challenging issues. I'd say if you find a pony that really lights your fire, go for it. The only advice I'd add is if you're not fairly certain about a horse, don't feel pressured to buy him because you're worried that the good ones always go fast. Another good prospect will always come along.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:45 am

if you "noticed" them some how, you are actually looking. Not searching but you are looking. Thank kind of, ( in my opinion) indicates where your desire lies. You have one retired, and one that is a bit frustrating to ride and are considering a third? I would take the time to make sure that the new to your pony really matches your personality and riding desires.

Josette

Postby Josette » Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:50 am

I'm probably going through mental-pause again. I started out watching the videos for the riders as I like watching the riding. Also, to observe ones that I did not care for to learn what would I do in that situation. Then I got diverted when I would see an advertisement that appealed to me. Part of me is trying to come to terms with retirement (which I welcome) and hoping I can continue to ride. I've owned horses for so many years I'm trying to come to terms of not riding or no horses in the future. The scary part is the huge commitment which I take serious as I do not sell when I am attached. That is just me as I form strong bonds with my animals. I think I will see this sale pony as he is so close by. I've looked at some of the school master types but many are simply way too big for me. I am not motivated to travel long distance like I was in the past when younger and searching.

I'm rambling - I feel that life is full of curve balls and things happen that we do not plan for but I try not to be glass half empty.

musical comedy

Postby musical comedy » Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:12 pm

Josette wrote:I'm probably going through mental-pause again. I started out watching the videos for the riders as I like watching the riding. Also, to observe ones that I did not care for to learn what would I do in that situation. Then I got diverted when I would see an advertisement that appealed to me. .
I don't know which of us Chisamba was addressing. It was me that mentioned that I 'noticed' things, but then she goes on to talk about you adding a 3rd.

I 'look' at a lot of things I have no intention of buying. I look at new trucks. I look at cosmetic surgery photos. I look at real estate ads. All kinds of stuff I'd like to have if I won the lottery. I even look at things I don't want. I'm bored and the internet is my only outlet when I'm not riding or doing horse chores.

Josette, I didn't have a problem in the world with retirement. After 30 years working on a job I didn't like, it was welcomed. Loss the the salary was not good though.

kande50

Postby kande50 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:08 pm

Josette wrote:I'm probably going through mental-pause again.

That's me, too: physically able but mentally pausing. :-)

If I wanted another pony I'd get one though, because I feel that anything I can do that might help me stay motivated to exercise is worth the investment.

If I bought a pony with the idea that I wasn't going to keep him if he didn't work out then I'd have no trouble passing him along to what I thought might be a better match. The ones we have no plans to pass along are the ones we raised and/or spent a lot of time with, and they'll very likely stay until they die.

The horse we got this spring was in the same home for 10 years, and in spite of (or maybe because of) his advanced age he's had a very hard time adjusting, and is still very herd bound/barn sour.

Josette

Postby Josette » Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:03 pm

MC - LOL! I do the same on the internet surfing and checking vacation destinations, retirement locations, real estate, horse videos - I'm all over the place. Whatever catches my attention I'll read up on a topic. I do almost all my shopping except for food on the internet. I do hear you about the loss of income which is why I'm trying to hold off but I will not miss the work itself.

DH and I discussed that we will probably stay on the property for another 10 years. So I can't imagine the barn as empty without having a horse to ride. I've kept horses for years and always had one or more in retirement stage. Always some elder horse needing care and maintenance. This pony is almost under my nose so I don't see the harm in checking him out. I was just talking to my farrier about it - asking him if he thought I was insane. He said if it's what you like to do - why not. Live life.

I know there are people retiring and living in those 55+ communities but I seriously don't know what I would do with myself. I always thought if I had no horses when we sold this place that I would spend a year or more simply traveling. I would like to visit all the big national parks and sight see instead of trying to cram in the short trips we always take. I do not want to purchase another home some where. I want no commitments to a location. The tiny house living fascinates me too LOL! I love the PNW! See I'm off on a tangent again.....

musical comedy

Postby musical comedy » Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:40 pm

Josette wrote: This pony is almost under my nose so I don't see the harm in checking him out. I was just talking to my farrier about it - asking him if he thought I was insane. He said if it's what you like to do - why not. Live life.
This is great because you can really check out his history. Probably you can find who his vet and farrier is and if there has been any downtime in his work from lameness. Buying local is good (in a way) for that reason.
I know there are people retiring and living in those 55+ communities but I seriously don't know what I would do with myself.
Never say never, because if I become sick or disabled, I guess it doesn't matter where I'm living. I would not want to live in any kind of townhouse or condo because I like my windows. Almost all of them are short on windows. My house is a tiny house. Well, not like the true tiny houses, but it's small and perfect for an elderly person to retire in. The problem is taking care of the property. I have a very long driveway and in the winter it would need plowed in case an ambulance needed to come. DH plows it now, but if he wasn't here or too old, then I'd have to hire a service. $$$

kande50

Postby kande50 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:02 pm

musical comedy wrote:This is great because you can really check out his history. Probably you can find who his vet and farrier is and if there has been any downtime in his work from lameness. Buying local is good (in a way) for that reason.

I don't think any of the pros in this area would pass on any of that kind of info, and if someone asked they'd tell them they'd have to ask the owners.

Never say never, because if I become sick or disabled, I guess it doesn't matter where I'm living.

That's the way I feel, too. I plan to enjoy the farm for as long as we can swing it, but have no problem with the idea of moving on to a simpler lifestyle when the time comes. If I'm still throwing pots I'll take my wheel and kilns with me, if I'm still riding I'll take my horses or board them out, and if I can't do either maybe I'll do more cooking and cleaning. Or maybe I'll really get into hoarding instead of just doing it so half assed!

Josette

Postby Josette » Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:59 pm

musical comedy wrote: Never say never, because if I become sick or disabled, I guess it doesn't matter where I'm living.

Yes - I hear you and totally agree. I've always wanted to visit/rent at Whaleshead beach in Brooking OR. I know retired folks who have moved to the Villages FL and love it. BIL and SIL moved to Green Valley AZ and swear by it. I'm open to those destinations too for retirement but do not see myself there yet....

kande50

Postby kande50 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:03 pm

Josette wrote:
Yes - I hear you and totally agree. I've always wanted to visit/rent at Whaleshead beach in Brooking OR. I know retired folks who have moved to the Villages FL and love it. BIL and SIL moved to Green Valley AZ and swear by it. I'm open to those destinations too for retirement but do not see myself there yet....

It might be interesting to live in one place for a year or two and then move to a completely different part of the country and live there for awhile? Although I guess that's something I would have had to do when I was younger, as I probably wouldn't be motivated enough to keep moving over and over again now.

Josette

Postby Josette » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:08 pm

No - too committed when younger to career and steady job/income. But really like being mobile for later. :)

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:43 pm

I was talking to Josette, MC but if it applies to you too that good lol.

Josette

Postby Josette » Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:12 pm

kande50 wrote: It might be interesting to live in one place for a year or two and then move to a completely different part of the country and live there for awhile? Although I guess that's something I would have had to do when I was younger, as I probably wouldn't be motivated enough to keep moving over and over again now.

I think the motivation is to de-clutter and make life simpler. When I get rid of unused items personal or horse and see the cleared space it feels good. :)

I have an appt to visit tomorrow but wondered if I have to ask that they do not work/ride the pony before I visit. I would like to feel his ride without someone previously working him if that makes sense. Has anyone made such a request? I was told that sometimes these sale barns will do that.

musical comedy

Postby musical comedy » Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:23 pm

Josette wrote:
kande50 wrote: I have an appt to visit tomorrow but wondered if I have to ask that they do not work/ride the pony before I visit. I would like to feel his ride without someone previously working him if that makes sense. Has anyone made such a request? I was told that sometimes these sale barns will do that.
I did, but it was a horse my trainer had for sale. Even then, they didn't seem happy about it. I think that it is more appropriate when you see the horse the second time, which you should if you have interest. I do think it's appropriate to politely ask them to show you special things that the horse can do. For example, you could ask to see how he trots on a loose rein, to see if he maintains tempo or falls on his face.

For sure, it makes a huge difference on some horse if they have been setup and given a good ride before you get on.

kande50

Postby kande50 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:49 pm

Josette wrote:
I think the motivation is to de-clutter and make life simpler. When I get rid of unused items personal or horse and see the cleared space it feels good. :)

If I moved it would be for the opportunity to live in different places, and I probably wouldn't get rid of a thing but would just pack it all up and put it into storage until I returned. :-)

I feel like it's an inconvenience and a waste to buy things and then throw them out, only to have to either buy them again later, or wish I'd kept them. So I keep everything, and am usually glad I did when I want to start using it again. In fact, my granddaughter is almost 9 and all of a sudden wants to learn to ride (after showing little to no interest for 9 years). Not that I ever would have gotten rid of our old horses, but as it turns out the kind of horses we have now (retirees) just happen to be the same ones that are perfect for a kid to learn to ride on. And not only do we have the old quiet ones, but have a few more for her to move up to if she sticks with it. :-)

I don't hear as much about it now that airbnb's are everywhere, but I remember when couples and families used to house swap when they wanted a change of scenery. That might be a possibility for us too, once most of the horses are gone?

I have an appt to visit tomorrow but wondered if I have to ask that they do not work/ride the pony before I visit. I would like to feel his ride without someone previously working him if that makes sense. Has anyone made such a request? I was told that sometimes these sale barns will do that.

You can always ask, but my experience has been that if a horse has been in regular work, skipping a few days vs riding him the day of your visit isn't likely to make a difference when it comes to the experience you'll have. It could, but without riding the horse before and after how would anyone know?

Return to “Senior Horses/Senior Riders”