cetyl m for dogs

All about the animals that are in our lives that are NOT horses
Melody
Novice

cetyl m for dogs

Postby Melody » Wed Aug 10, 2016 7:34 pm

Any one use this for an old dog? I use to see adds for it where a dog could barely walk, then suddenly they are walking normal again. I have a 13 year old bob tailed Catahoula. Starting to have troubles with his hind legs. I don't think it's anything like hip dysplasia, he will sometimes collapse in the hind end. Cry, then get back up, limp a few steps and walk, even run like normal. Happening a little more lately but maybe because he is inside more keeping cool. I try to get him up and walking around every few hours. Was wondering about this product or if something like previcox would do anything. Any suggestions? He is already on probios dog treats for joints. He gets 6 a day. I had other joint things for other old dogs but this guy wouldn't have a thing to do with those meaty chews. Loves the probios treats though.

fergusnc
500 post plus club

Re: cetyl m for dogs

Postby fergusnc » Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:24 pm

Never heard of it, but what does your vet say?

Different dogs need different amounts and types of maintenance at differing ages. I am shocked that my 70 pound, 11 year old, athletic to all ends, boy is doing great on just a joint supplement (that I started giving him at about 8 years old)....to the int that I brought him in for a check up just because I thought I was nuts thinking nothing was wrong. But I have an 8 year old who has been on multiple pain meds for years, and a 10 year old that has been on a regimen for a year or so due to back issues that popped up out of the blue.

Melody
Novice

Postby Melody » Tue Aug 16, 2016 5:31 pm

I don't think there is anything the vet can do and they usually prescribe some pain meds that have too many side affects. He seems to be doing better the more he can move around, temps have cooled off around here and he is more active. He has no idea he is old, still a puppy at heart and still wants to bounce around even though he falls sometimes. When he wants to bounce around he spins kind of like a reining horse and that's when sometimes his leg gives out. This is my husband's dog. Has to be his decision on a vet or not. I don't believe the adds for this cetyl M, kind of too good to be true thing, just wanted to see if someone else had actually used it and had results.

Racetrackreject
500 post plus club

Postby Racetrackreject » Tue Oct 11, 2016 4:03 pm

I had a friend who started using it on her horse and felt that it made a significant difference, so she started her older dog on it. She never said anything good or bad about it's effect on her dog, so I just assumed that she felt it was helping.

FWIW, my 17ish year old GSDx had similar issues and I put her on Cosequin. It really seemed to work miracles. Towards the end, I had to keep her on the loading dose, but it kept her running around with the other dogs.

Return to “The Menagerie”