My dogs are eating fig leaves like candy

All about the animals that are in our lives that are NOT horses
Racetrackreject
500 post plus club

My dogs are eating fig leaves like candy

Postby Racetrackreject » Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:35 pm

Do I need to make them stop? I looked online and found post about other dogs that eat them and I cannot find anything that says they are bad for dogs, but both Merri and Pepper will just stand and eat them all day. I've had to block them from the side yard, and can only let them over to potty. Of course they run straight to the fig tree and start chomping fallen leaves instead of peeing.

Should I just let them go for it and hope that either 1) they stop or 2) they run out of leaves, or do I need to keep them separated until there are no leaves left (which could be a while, it's a large tree)?

Anyone else have a dog that eats fig leves?

angela9823
Herd Member

Re: My dogs are eating fig leaves like candy

Postby angela9823 » Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:05 pm

Since my dog also eats them occasionally - I asked my vet and he said they were not toxic and will see them eat the fruit too. But here was a vet online saying they weren't toxic: http://www.justanswer.com/dog-health/7s ... #re.v/150/

My horses will eat the very ripe fruit but won't eat the leaves or non ripened ones.

angela9823
Herd Member

Postby angela9823 » Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:06 pm

Racetrackreject
500 post plus club

Postby Racetrackreject » Thu Oct 29, 2015 9:13 pm

I completely forgot about this thread until I went home for lunch today and the dogs started munching leaves while I was out in the yard. Thanks for the links!!

Return to “The Menagerie”