Kitty arthritis--joint supplement recommendations?

All about the animals that are in our lives that are NOT horses
texsuze
500 post plus club

Kitty arthritis--joint supplement recommendations?

Postby texsuze » Fri Aug 19, 2016 8:47 pm

Just got back from a vet visit to diagnose our 9 y.o. kitty's lameness-type issue. Left front NQR, careful about where/how high she jumps (although it doesn't stop her from jumping ;) ), stiff on that limb after she's been sleeping on it.

X-rays demonstrate arthritic changes in her elbow, which, according to vet, is a very common joint for kitty problems. Wrist, shoulder, digits all look healthy.

She is on rx for initial pain relief, but vet recommends finding a glucosamine/chondroitin kitty supplement that she will like to eat, and using that as her primary joint medicine. He didn't mention HA. Then, if kitty's elbow pain re-appears or worsens, use the rx as needed.

I've never found the equine version of glucosamine/chondroitin to work on my gelding, after many years and many different products, but I am hoping a feline version (if such exists) will have positive results.

Any recommendations or experience with kitty joint supplements? Thanks in advance. It's always something.....

Moutaineer
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: Kitty arthritis--joint supplement recommendations?

Postby Moutaineer » Mon Aug 22, 2016 4:09 am

We used Cosequin for cats for our elderly and arthritic kitty. Definitely seemed to help and she ate it in powdered form on her wet food, with gusto. I'd say worth a try.

texsuze
500 post plus club

Postby texsuze » Mon Aug 22, 2016 4:28 pm

Thanks for the input. I was actually leaning towards the Cosequin. I managed to find a chewable product from Pet Naturals to tide us over until we can get something ordered on line. Kitty LOVES the chewable, since it is a treat ;)

texsuze
500 post plus club

Postby texsuze » Wed Oct 12, 2016 9:18 pm

Update on kitty: she has been on daily feline Cosequin for a couple months now. Although we haven't seen huge dramatic improvement, she no longer meows upon landing when jumping down from a chair to the floor. And she doesn't seem to take a "ready-set-go" pre-jump position before jumping up on something; she just decides to jump up without hesitation. So we are keeping her on daily Cosequin, and will probably start her sister on it, since sister is a highly active 9 year old ;)

Return to “The Menagerie”