Instinct dog food

All about the animals that are in our lives that are NOT horses
Racetrackreject
500 post plus club

Instinct dog food

Postby Racetrackreject » Sun Oct 11, 2015 7:46 pm

Does anyone feed Instinct dog food or have any experience with it?

My JRT typically east Wellness Core dry with a tad of Wellness Core or 96% tinned mixed in. When I went to stock up on the tinned food, the store was out of Core, and the associate pointed me to Instinct tinned food as being comparable. I read the ingredients and decided to give it a try for my sensitive tummy-ed dog. I also liked that they had a greater range of proteins, like rabbit and venison.

As I was leaving the store, I noticed that they make a raw and freeze-dried raw product as well. I'm pretty interested in that as well and I will be doing some web research, but I was looking for some real life experience as well.

Thanks for any information you have.

FTR, we tried the rabbit tinned food yesterday and today with no tummy issues yet. Yay!

Sorrento

Re: Instinct dog food

Postby Sorrento » Sun Oct 11, 2015 7:59 pm

RTR-

Strange. Last time I went to get the Core canned dog food they were out of it too. I too tried the Instinct but my lab didn't care too much for it. He's a picky snob.

Sorrento

Spiritpaws
Novice

Postby Spiritpaws » Sun Oct 11, 2015 8:23 pm

I don't feed canned, but I do feed raw and freeze dried.

Fatcat
Herd Member

Postby Fatcat » Sun Oct 11, 2015 8:31 pm

We fed our last lab instinct dry, the duck variety, and it was just fine. I think my parents fed their collie instinct at one time, but now he's on a low fat diet for pancreatitis.

I just read ingredients and make sure it's full of real food, not chemicals or things I can't pronounce and that its grain free.

Racetrackreject
500 post plus club

Postby Racetrackreject » Mon Oct 12, 2015 4:22 pm

Thanks!

I did read the ingredients and picked up the limited ingredients versions of the Instinct for my guy. He has eaten the Instinct at 4 feedings now and hasn't had any stomach issues, so that's a big positive. He seems to know if something is going to hurt his stomach because when I've tried other things, he would walk over to it, sniff it, then walk away, acting like he did something wrong. Sometimes he would go back and eat it, reluctantly, then have a painful tummy after. We have none of that with the Instinct though, he readily eats it and no signs of discomfort afterwards.

I hope they aren't discontinuing the Core tinned food. Tanner really loves the chicken and turkey one. I found plenty of the beef flavored one, but he can't eat it.

I'm really wanting to try their mixed raw version now, but I think I will give him a month or so to settle in to the new change before I tempt it. If it doesn't work for Tanner, I have 2 other dogs that are more than happy to take in his leftovers. Of course his whole meal is like 1 bite size for them. lol

Woost2
Herd Member

Postby Woost2 » Sun Dec 13, 2015 2:02 am

I've fed Instinct (Nature's Variety) frozen raw in rotation for several years. 11 pound dog. I actually like Nature's Menu best but it has gone out of business. I've only fed the chicken and beef. Tried the Duck Duck Goose of Stella and chewie but Zib flat out refused it. Tried it all different ways, even cooked. Nada. Same thing happened with rabbit so I haven't ventured any further. Ha en't tried any of the canned or dried. Use Fromm's grain free kibble for training treats.

angela9823
Herd Member

Postby angela9823 » Wed Dec 16, 2015 11:42 am

I've used Instinct-mostly rabbit- many times and it is the only canned cat food I can get my cat to eat as well consistently. Cat likes rabbit, salmon and duck. I like the food because they are one of the only ones that uses rabbit. Rabbit is a favorite feast of my dogs/cat. My cat will kill them, bring them in and it is the only thing everyone will fight over.

Chancellor
Site Admin

Postby Chancellor » Wed Dec 16, 2015 3:15 pm

Woost2 wrote:I've fed Instinct (Nature's Variety) frozen raw in rotation for several years. 11 pound dog. I actually like Nature's Menu best but it has gone out of business. I've only fed the chicken and beef. Tried the Duck Duck Goose of Stella and chewie but Zib flat out refused it. Tried it all different ways, even cooked. Nada. Same thing happened with rabbit so I haven't ventured any further. Ha en't tried any of the canned or dried. Use Fromm's grain free kibble for training treats.

Duck Duck Goose was Scarlett's absolute FAVORITE. She was pissed when I had to change her to ground lamb and chinese rice to see if we could get a handle on her allergies. Imagine that. A dog who got pissed because she was getting ground lamb. Anyway, 6 months later, her allergies were not any better so we have switched back to Stella and Chewy's Absolutely Rabbit and she is happy now.

Racetrackreject
500 post plus club

Postby Racetrackreject » Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:55 pm

So far so good. My guy is loving the rabbit!

I also picked up a sample of the raw for him to try out. I mixed a little in and he's loved it so far. Thinking about making switch.

Return to “The Menagerie”