Who has a goat?

All about the animals that are in our lives that are NOT horses
Hoof'n it
Herd Member

Who has a goat?

Postby Hoof'n it » Wed Oct 28, 2015 8:11 am

Meet Robbie.

My resident goat. He's a menace and he has a wickedly awesome personality.

I got him as an orphan, when his mum was feral and died, he wondered up to someone's door and lay down, until he was found - then he Demanded to be fed.
Then my friend who was a friend of the person who took him in, thought he would be a Great house warming gift for me... So he then landed on my door step as a 2 week old kid.

He's great with all the animals on the farm, he really thinks he's a dog and gets really upset when I won't allow him inside the house, when the other dogs gets let inside, so he starts bunting the door....

He was caught in the act of eating my garden, and he thought I would let him off the hook, by acting cute, standing on hind legs and look pretty for a photo... And yes he was forgiven when I saw the pic below...
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (34.86 KiB) Viewed 11802 times

bailey
Herd Member

Re: Who has a goat?

Postby bailey » Wed Oct 28, 2015 11:42 am

He is too cute! I'm so glad he found you, I hope I get to see more of him.
thanks for the laugh!

The calmer I am, the stronger I am.

Code3
Herd Member

Postby Code3 » Sun Nov 01, 2015 2:12 pm

Robbie is adorable.

I have become a crazy goat lady. After rescuing a goat two and a half years ago, we adopted a second goat as a companion. That goat died (broke my heart, he was the most obnoxious personality but impossible not to love). I have since added more - all either rejects for one reason or another or just needing rehoming. Spice is a Nubian who couldn't have kids, a real problem in a milk herd. She had great care and is very social. Posh came from a herd and had just had two kids weaned from her. She is supposed to be Nubian but, well, not so much. Looks more Alpine but with Nubian ears so maybe a cross. She needed lots of groceries and body work for a bad limp. Then poor Teddi, an old Pygmy whose companion died. She was being fed to death, was obese with looooong hooves, a gravel voice, and precocious udder. They are a motley group to keep my original rescue wether company.

Then my neighbor, who raises Kiko goats, decided to disperse her herd so I took two three month old goats. One is a beautiful brown, white and black. The other is all white but has the most delicate face. Sport and Baby.

Goats are irresistible. :D

Chisamba
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby Chisamba » Sun Nov 01, 2015 3:01 pm

i have one, he was a very spoiled pet belonging to a family who lost their home and had to move across country to a new job. I did not really want the goat, but they were so afraid he would go to some one who would eat him, i took him. His name is tuxedo, and like most spoiled goats, he is a nuisance and gets into everything. he was also quite aggressive but now he had relaxed and no longer challenges humans.

He is quite sweet, but will run into the house any moment he can, and i do not appreciate that when he runs into the house he has to unload pelleted manure as he goes.

I tried to get him a companion, he ignored it, i mean ignored it as if he had no idea it was the same species as him.

some one fell totally in love with the poor companion, so i let her go on to a new home.

thats it, thats my goat lol Code 3 has very cute kids, if they are the ones that recently came home

Baroque
Herd Member

Postby Baroque » Sun Nov 01, 2015 9:27 pm

I am now down to 15 goats. Last year I had 70+ Boers. They are interesting animals to keep and a lot of fun. :lol:

Baroque
Herd Member

Postby Baroque » Sun Nov 01, 2015 9:32 pm

I also have about 60ish Arapawa sheep. These are a rare breed of feral sheep which were left to run wild on an island with no intervention from man for about 250 years. They are more like goats to handle, very intelligent, hardy and I find them lots of fun.

Their nearest genetic relatives are Gulf coast sheep which came from Spanish breeds. We think these escaped from one of the Spanish or Portuguese ships passing through...

mld02004
Herd Member

Postby mld02004 » Fri Nov 06, 2015 12:36 am

I had an oberhasli that lived until about 15, she was ancient. She was the most kind soul, not at all a troublemaker type. She kept my horses company. When she died we were absolutely crushed--I had somehow gotten her through some bad winters (she had a "goat coat" foal blanket) but eventually the arthritis was so bad she couldn't get up.

Robbie does look like the troublemaker type, but I bet you'll love him just the same!

redsoxluvr
Herd Member

Postby redsoxluvr » Fri Nov 06, 2015 3:57 am

We have Nigerian Dwarf goats. They are ridiculously cute. We absolutely loathe and adore them all at the same time. We have two does. They live in our barn with the horses, but they are not allowed out with them. They're too little, and Mr. Perfect despises small animals. He wants to flatten them. He does enjoy that we moved them into the barn, as he gets to watch Goat TV all day. :lol:

Hoof'n it
Herd Member

Postby Hoof'n it » Fri Nov 06, 2015 8:01 am

I posted this in the Halloween thread...

Robbie all dressed up and LOVING then attention that he got.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (37.82 KiB) Viewed 11706 times

Hoof'n it
Herd Member

Postby Hoof'n it » Fri Nov 06, 2015 8:06 am

mld02004 wrote:I had an oberhasli that lived until about 15, she was ancient. She was the most kind soul, not at all a troublemaker type. She kept my horses company. When she died we were absolutely crushed--I had somehow gotten her through some bad winters (she had a "goat coat" foal blanket) but eventually the arthritis was so bad she couldn't get up.

Robbie does look like the troublemaker type, but I bet you'll love him just the same!

Sorry to hear about your goat, how about I wrap Robbie up and send him too you?

Yes, he somehow wormed his way into my heart :roll: :roll: :roll:
Yes, I would be lost without him
Yes, he is still a little shit, but a cute little shit, who calls and calls and calls when he hears that I am around and not paying him any attention, like my staffy too who barks and barks and barks when she wants attention and I'm around the stables and she's locked in her yard. I wonder who copied who? :x
Last edited by Hoof'n it on Fri Nov 06, 2015 8:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Baroque
Herd Member

Postby Baroque » Thu Nov 12, 2015 1:22 am

kid75.jpg
Boer kid #75
kid75.jpg (128.72 KiB) Viewed 11679 times
Kid #75 born last week, she is a tiny wee kid to a tiny wee goat from last years kids - she was not supposed to get in kid this season but the goat had other ideas.... :shock:

naughty lambs.jpg
Arapawa lambs
naughty lambs.jpg (140.3 KiB) Viewed 11679 times
Some of my Arapawa lambs from this year, lots of interesting colours and patterns there! The pallet is blanking off part of the trough so they don't fall in and drown but the sheep can still all have a drink.

Crepe Suzette.jpg
Crepe Suzette is my lamb fostered on a goat & bottle fed by me for a few weeks
Crepe Suzette.jpg (127.33 KiB) Viewed 11679 times
Crepe Suzette is one of a pair of twins which slipped under the fence at birth and the ewe refused to feed her so I started bottle feeding her then had a great idea and fostered her onto a goat which had lost her kid the day before. She loves her funny Goatmum and the goat is an excellent mother.

Return to “The Menagerie”