Christopher, my little poodle.

All about the animals that are in our lives that are NOT horses
Rockabilly
Herd Member

Christopher, my little poodle.

Postby Rockabilly » Sun Oct 11, 2015 8:57 pm

Christopher, my little tuxedo poodle passed away Friday morning. He was in the hospital with Congestive Heart Failure and the vet said his heart just stopped. Christopher came to me 13 years ago as an orphan and he was already grown then. I remember what he looked like when I first saw him and he looked like a dirty mop. We soon got that taken care of. He was the best little guy ever. Always stood his ground. A few years ago he tangled with a coyote and came out on the short end. He spent 6 weeks in the hospital recovering, but it didn't slow him down. We loved him every single day. Around the barn seems empty without him right beside us.

Sorrento

Re: Christopher, my little poodle.

Postby Sorrento » Sun Oct 11, 2015 9:08 pm

Rockabilly,

I'm so sorry for your loss of Christopher. Hope he met up with my Lexie girl at the bridge and they're having a good ole time.

Sorrento

musical comedy
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby musical comedy » Sun Oct 11, 2015 10:05 pm

I know from your posts about Billy, that you have extreme love for your animals, as do I. Believe me, I know the pain. I've only had one dog and I lost him to lymphoma in 2011. I cannot even bear to look at his pics and even writing this I tear up. I'm sorry for your loss.

ZinniaZ
Novice

Postby ZinniaZ » Mon Oct 12, 2015 1:13 am

i am so sorry, rockabilly. :(

AnnCohrs
Greenie

Postby AnnCohrs » Mon Oct 12, 2015 3:44 am

((((hugs))))
They never live long enough.

Ryans Friend
Greenie

Postby Ryans Friend » Mon Oct 12, 2015 6:02 am

Oh, so sorry!! Losing our little buddies is so hard. We had to say good-bye to our daughter's 16 year old cat a few months ago. I still see him in the corners of our house...hugs to you!!

boots-aregard
Herd Member

Postby boots-aregard » Mon Oct 12, 2015 2:09 pm

That's very sad. I was inconsolable for weeks after losing my standard. They are just such good dogs.

I still haven't found a way of re-using his collar as a reminder of him. Anyone have any ideas for that, that might help Rockabilly (and me)?

KathyK

Postby KathyK » Mon Oct 12, 2015 2:36 pm

RIP, Christopher. I'm so sorry, Rockabilly. I've said it before and it's true -- we pay a very high price for having that kind of love in our lives, but it's a price we're happy to pay.

Rockabilly
Herd Member

Postby Rockabilly » Mon Oct 12, 2015 3:09 pm

KathyK wrote:RIP, Christopher. I'm so sorry, Rockabilly. I've said it before and it's true -- we pay a very high price for having that kind of love in our lives, but it's a price we're happy to pay.

You're so right, Kathy. When Billy passed away the grief as...........I can't even describe it. It's like the world tilted and stopped. My husband said he wished he could take all the pain away from me, but I told him I think I need to feel this.

Racetrackreject
500 post plus club

Postby Racetrackreject » Mon Oct 12, 2015 4:16 pm

So sorry for your loss.

I love the name Christopher for a poodle. It makes me think of Christopher Robin.

Snork
Herd Member

Postby Snork » Mon Oct 12, 2015 6:01 pm

I'm sorry Rockabilly.

I don't know what to do with the collars. I thought i had a good idea after Geoff and Minnie died just a few months apart, but it turns out I'm wimpier than I thought i was.

After they died, I prepared a shadow box for their collars. I had it inscribed with 'They will come to you when you call - come to you over the grim, dim frontiers of death, and down the well-remembered path, and to your side again. For they are yours and they belong there."

But i haven't actually put the collars in and closed the lid. Sometimes I take the collars and hold them in my hand, and if i close my eyes and listen just so, it feels like i might still hear them again, and feel them close. So the lovely box sits packed up somewhere because I just can't quite yet put the collars where i can't physically touch them.

Kelo
Herd Member

Postby Kelo » Mon Oct 12, 2015 6:29 pm

Sorry for your loss, Rockabilly.

Rhianon
Herd Member

Postby Rhianon » Mon Oct 12, 2015 11:19 pm

Oh, Rockabilly, I'm so sorry. Hugs to you.

ProudHorse
Greenie

Postby ProudHorse » Tue Oct 13, 2015 2:44 am

I am sorry for your loss Billygirl.
Last edited by ProudHorse on Sun Nov 01, 2015 2:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Compassion is not a four letter word.

demi

Postby demi » Tue Oct 13, 2015 3:03 pm

I am so sorry but at the same time so glad that Christopher ended up in a home that appreciated and loved him.
Homeless animals, especially dogs and horses, tear so much at our hearts. I want to take them all home but know that the ones i have now would suffer because there is a limit to how many we can care for properly...
I read your post last night and thought about it all night long. My husband and I always give extra attention and love to the rescues we have when we think about all the ones out there that need homes. We SO appreciate people like you who take good care of the animals they have.
We have 2 dogs that we found on the road and another that we took when his 90 yr old mistress had to go into assisted living. we also two cats, one that found us, and another that a friend found.
Fleabert(Bertie), Shasta, and Buddy have already gotten special hugs because of Christopher.

chantal
500 post plus club

Postby chantal » Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:40 pm

My heart hurts for you Rockabilly. Especially because I know how tender-hearted you are.

Hugs to you. Know you are in my thoughts and close to my heart.

Return to “The Menagerie”