pet food brands

All about the animals that are in our lives that are NOT horses
Melody
Novice

pet food brands

Postby Melody » Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:01 pm

I recently started feeding Blue Buffalo. Have all these cats after someone dumped a pregnant cat on us. Already had 6 cats, so now at 11. Anyway, we have a small feed store and can get dealer prices on some pet foods. Our distributor said they don't and won't carry Blue Buffalo. Said that company got in trouble for false advertising of their ingredients list. I did look that up and found quite a few articles verifying that. I have tried to research other brands and just can't decide. It seems there are bad reviews on most pet foods and a lot have been on recall lists. I can't believe too how many still have corn , some as a first ingredient! What is everyone feeding? Won't do raw, I see a lot of the raw stuff is on recall all the time too. I also have the one elderly dog. Was getting him the blue buffalo senior canned which he likes and I cook for him. He is at that age where he changes what he will eat so I do what I can to keep him eating. Some of my cats can be picky like the two older spayed girls that are barn cats. They aren't crazy about the healthy aging Blue Buffalo.

khall
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: pet food brands

Postby khall » Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:52 pm

I use Abound right now, have used Nutrish by Rachel Ray. My cat will only eat dry. My dogs are on 4 Health brand.

texsuze
500 post plus club

Postby texsuze » Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:48 pm

Our 3 cats (ages 11-13) eat an rx dry food due to some of the gentleman's urinary issues. But we give 3 "mini-meals" of Fancy Feast canned each day to all. We use the classic puree', not the gravies, not the grilled or chopped. Their puree' varieties usually don't have the corn glutens or potatoes (carbs) on the ingredient lists. We stay away from anything listing veggies as one of the first 5 or 6 ingredients.

We are 'pup-less' at the moment, so no suggestions for dog foods.

Fatcat
Herd Member

Postby Fatcat » Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:25 pm

We feed our old old cat with many food allergies canned Koha. He likes the expensive varieties of course, kangaroo and Guinea fowl it's a great food. We also feed our dog the canned Koha salmon along with some dry food by natural balance. I buy it direct at kohapet.com

Melody
Novice

Postby Melody » Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:29 pm

I wish fancy feast came in larger cans. With 11 cats that would be hard. I know my Gabby kitty loves fancy feast. Bought some for one of the cats that needed pills. Callie who needed meds would have nothing to do with it but Gabby thought it was the best. The kittens are liking the dry food more and more. Their Momma doesn't like any dry I have put in front of her. Cats can be so picky. I am learning a lot researching brands. Things like potatoes are just fillers yet they try and make it sound healthy. So much BS in advertising, hard to sort through it all. I got a response back from Blue Buffalo assuring me their ingredients are fine. My dog loved the can food from them but I guess that was short lived. He didn't finish it this morning. At his age I know I will have to keep changing things up to keep him eating. That kohopet sounded interesting but expensive! I might try some of the Rachel Ray next time I order.

Return to “The Menagerie”