84%
No, a dogs place is on the floor.
16%

Total votes: 49

Chisamba
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Dogs on the bed, yes it no?

Postby Chisamba » Fri Nov 13, 2015 2:08 pm

When I was a kid the dogs were not allowed on the furniture, and I always knew when I had my own home, that's the first rule u would throw out.

When mom comes to visit she is always appalled.

So I wondered, do most people allow the dogs obn, or keep them off?

Chancellor
Site Admin

Re: Dogs on the bed, yes it no?

Postby Chancellor » Fri Nov 13, 2015 2:21 pm

When Michael and I first moved in to the house, we were both of the mind that dogs slept in crates or on the floor. One night, when Michael was away playing hockey and I had returned from teaching on a very cold night, I couldn't bear the thought of getting into bed alone. I invited Sadie up on the bed....and well, once you do one thing for a pit bull, it quickly becomes a rule. Thereafter, she slept on the bed. Now, I can't imagine NOT having them in the bed with me. Scarlett is an amazing snuggler. If you can't spoon with your husband, Scarlett is the next best thing. She is so warm

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Fri Nov 13, 2015 5:18 pm

Our first dog (a Weimaraner) was allowed on the bed and on furniture. Then we learned that life was better for us + nicer furniture if dogs were on the floor. The second Weimaraner had a bit of a transition since she had learned about the bed/furniture lifestyle from the first. She would sneak into bed when it was cold and we would wake up with a very long, nearly naked grey dog in between us. By the third dog, it wasn't even a battle.

My two English Pointers stay off the furniture and stay downstairs without a gate across the stairs. They will sometimes lie at the foot of the bed (or under the bed) during a loud thunderstorm, but otherwise they prefer their Orvis bed! :D

Josette

Postby Josette » Fri Nov 13, 2015 7:04 pm

:roll:

Sunshine2Me
Herd Member

Postby Sunshine2Me » Fri Nov 13, 2015 7:46 pm

Josette wrote::roll:

LOL!

Josette

Postby Josette » Fri Nov 13, 2015 8:51 pm

Yes - he is a sneaky little stinker. I was doing laundry and when I returned to setup the bed - this is who was sleeping in our bed. :lol:

bailey
Herd Member

Postby bailey » Sat Nov 14, 2015 2:15 am

Oh yes, no evening snuggle would be complete without our beagle. She would sleep between my husband and I. One paw on me and one on him.
She was with us for 15 years (!), and passed last month. The bed's very lonely now without her but I know she's in a good place and I'll see her and snuggle with her again.
I'll try to post a picture of my Sassy girl.
[img]

The calmer I am, the stronger I am.

onetrickpony
Novice

Postby onetrickpony » Sat Nov 14, 2015 3:41 pm

I say yes. Major Onetrick says no. I feel like crap every time I tell Sophie that she can't get on the bed. And I resent my husband for it.

khall

Postby khall » Sun Nov 15, 2015 2:32 pm

No, though we have in the past. My little dog will get on the couch and the bed when he can. Though will stay off the couch when we are in the living room. My big dog is just too big for couch or bed, he has never had any interest in doing so.

We used to sleep with both a dog (70 lbs) and a cat in a double bed, a bit crowded!

Literiding
Herd Member

Postby Literiding » Sun Nov 15, 2015 2:36 pm

I voted "on the floor."

The result of an unsupervised dismount from the bed which cost me a real pile of money. I don't know what exactly he did to himself. I was in the other room and heard the thump followed immediately by screaming dog.

SXR001.JPG
SXR001.JPG (103.34 KiB) Viewed 24258 times

So my dog of two months became a BUM (Broken Useless Mutt).

Broke dog 1.jpg
Broke dog 1.jpg (141.92 KiB) Viewed 24258 times

Now that's not to say that he doesn't sleep with me or sit in my recliner with me. The household rule says that a human will pick the dog up and place the dog in the chair or bed. The human will also place the dog on the floor when the sitting or sleeping is done. But he has a very persuasive face with which he makes his needs to be in the chair or bed very clear.

Montauk 3.JPG
Montauk 3.JPG (191.78 KiB) Viewed 24258 times

If I'm laying in the bed, he'll stand beside the bed with his two front paws on the edge of the mattress looking intently at my back. If I don't respond, he'll shake the mattress to get my attention. One time when I continued to ignore him, he shook the bed then did two or three laps of the zoomies down the side around the end of the bed and back. Then stood beside the bed waiting for me to acknowledge him. I didn't. So he repeated the zoomies again. On his third try, I got up and put him in his crate - undesirable behavior.

kande50

Postby kande50 » Sun Nov 15, 2015 9:07 pm

onetrickpony wrote:I say yes. Major Onetrick says no. I feel like crap every time I tell Sophie that she can't get on the bed. And I resent my husband for it.

Best thing we ever did was to set up another bed in another room way over in the other part of the house. The idea was that when the snoring got unbearable the one that was still awake would just go sleep in the other bed, but once we tried it it didn't take long before we ceased to bother with the pretense that we were going to get through the night in the same bed.

The bonus is that he no longer has to have dogs in his bed, and I can have as many as I want in mine. :-)

Dapple Field
Herd Member

Postby Dapple Field » Mon Nov 16, 2015 1:22 am

I'd rather not have the dog in the house nevermind the bed, scrooge that I am. However, all of the cats are welcome.
Last edited by Dapple Field on Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ike
Greenie

Postby Ike » Mon Nov 16, 2015 1:55 am

2 people, 1 king size bed, 4 dogs under the covers. And usually a cat in there somewhere too.

texsuze
500 post plus club

Postby texsuze » Mon Nov 16, 2015 3:17 am

Our yellow lab mix never had any interest in getting on top of any furniture or in the bed. Guess we were lucky. And so lucky to have had her, RIP.

If we had a dog now, he/she wouldn't stand a chance against 4 cats in the bed. Each night, DH and I, at some point, turn into a 'cat sammich' :D

Hoof'n it
Herd Member

Postby Hoof'n it » Mon Nov 16, 2015 5:17 am

It's not my bed, I am apparently just allowed to use it!

Dora (my staffy) not only has my bed, she also has her bed on the floor at the foot of the bed, and around 5 couches to lounge on...
It's never really been a huge issue for me, as she has short black hair.... So you can't really see it when she moults...

My huntaway though, is definitely an outside dog, with her long hair, plus farm job, and by Golly she can smell when she's wet!

angela9823
Herd Member

Postby angela9823 » Mon Nov 16, 2015 11:44 am

Sigh...I really don't like dogs in a bed. DH does. So we always had his Doxie on his side of the bed cause I don't want wet noses touching me in the middle of the night. Our heeler has never wanted on the bed. In fact, she often leaves her own bed to go lay on hardwood floors (she runs hot). But now we have the little beagle cross whom has me wrapped around his paw. He gives the saddest faces! At first, he would sneak in the bed after we were asleep. I can't believe we couldn't feel him get in and he even got under the covers and on my side. Now, it is just expected. I still hate dogs in the bed (DH would tell you otherwise). My little Beagle cross goes out in the middle of the night. Right now we have a lot of sand in the yard because of adding a garage on the house. He finds that sand and brings it back to bed. I'm having to change sheets almost daily. Then there is the occasional visit from the cat in the middle of the night. :roll:

kande50

Postby kande50 » Mon Nov 16, 2015 1:55 pm

angela9823 wrote:He finds that sand and brings it back to bed. I'm having to change sheets almost daily.

I just gave up on keeping the grit out of the bed and started wearing pj's so that I can't feel it.

Saddlebum
Herd Member

Postby Saddlebum » Tue Nov 17, 2015 1:36 am

I just gave up on keeping the grit out of the bed and started wearing pj's so that I can't feel it.

I find this so funny and can so relate! I have lived here for 25+ years and I religiously have to brush the sand outa the bed EACH and EVERY night before getting in.

Recently, I started doing the Benny and Joon thing by vacuming prior to getting in, way more thorough but still not perfect.

And, getting in really means worming my way into the bed and pushing bodies outa the way for my legs and the rest of me -- ARGH! can be exhausting just going to bed. Hehehehehehe... 2 dogs, one 150# 5'10" person, queen size bed.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Tue Nov 17, 2015 1:20 pm

i have more problem with hairs on the hardwood floors, mine are bull terriers and one pit bull. we made the mistake of buying a sofa and love seat that were a woven fabric, that lasted all of a month and then we went out and bought leather furniture, so its way easier to clean and take care of the furniture. We have grass in the yard, and fortunately the dogs do not bring in too much dirt.

i cannot resist sharing my bed with this face :)
Attachments
11899951_10153667944074175_5389751831839403125_n.jpg
11899951_10153667944074175_5389751831839403125_n.jpg (67.59 KiB) Viewed 24154 times

kande50

Postby kande50 » Tue Nov 17, 2015 2:57 pm

Saddlebum wrote:Recently, I started doing the Benny and Joon thing by vacuming prior to getting in, way more thorough but still not perfect.

I just started vacuuming the bed, too.

I like to get really sleepy before I get in bed because then I'll knock right off, so don't really want to have to dog wrestle to get the covers because it wakes me up and then I have to start my sleep routine all over again. So I now take the covers and keep them in my chair so that I can bring them with me. :-)

Josette

Postby Josette » Tue Nov 17, 2015 3:39 pm

Chisamba - Great pic - TOO CUTE! I bet he keeps you warm!!

angela9823
Herd Member

Postby angela9823 » Tue Nov 17, 2015 6:37 pm

Vacuuming the bed!! I love that idea!!! And yes, the blue heeler leaves poofs of hair all over the hardwood floors and the carpet. I cleaned for three hours on Saturday even dusting. My house stays put away. Nothing sitting out usually. But I hate to dust. When I'm on the phone with a customer, I'm constantly taking a broom to the floor so I don't lose focus on what they are saying (bluetooth is fabulous!). But dusting and floor moppings just don't happen often. I did that on Saturday. By Monday, you could not tell because the blue hairs were all over the place. Sand in my bed though just makes me angry. I can't sleep on grit and feeling it makes me angry. The vacuuming it may just be the answer versus switching out sheets every night! They tell me only one more month and most of this sand should be gone...I hope so!

Koolkat
500 post plus club

Postby Koolkat » Mon Nov 23, 2015 4:58 am

Human rule: No dog on the furniture

Dog rule: Dog on furniture when humans are gone

The warm spot gives it away every time.

Once on a cold night, our GSD tried to pull the quilt off the bed!! When we were in it! We got her a blanket of her own the next day.

EponaFarm
Greenie

Postby EponaFarm » Mon Nov 23, 2015 9:30 pm

Mine prefer a cold surface most times. About the longest one lasts on the furniture with me is 30 minutes. I have 1 that is not trustworthy unsupervised out of her crate. She has 0 impulse control and if I see it and want it, it will be eaten or destroyed :lol:
Attachments
Bel 2 09 snow.JPG
Bel 2 09 snow.JPG (69.96 KiB) Viewed 24042 times

scruffy the cat
Herd Member

Postby scruffy the cat » Tue Nov 24, 2015 4:32 am

No dogs on the bed at home. No room and I'm kind of claustrophobic.

When I'm at a dog show, dog is allowed up. Of course 70+ lb dog ends up sleeping on my legs despite the king sized bed.

angela9823
Herd Member

Postby angela9823 » Tue Nov 24, 2015 5:09 pm

It was cold here last night (cold for a southern girl anyway). I woke in the middle of the night to find the blue heeler on the bed too. A king size bed is just too small for six beings! :roll:

Code3
Herd Member

Postby Code3 » Mon Dec 07, 2015 6:00 pm

King sized bed. Two humans, two labs, one cat. Cozy. I love it.

seahorsefarm
Greenie

Postby seahorsefarm » Tue Dec 08, 2015 1:32 pm

Dogs on the bed: YES. Lower heating costs in the winter: YES. :-)

Kyra's Mom
500 post plus club

Postby Kyra's Mom » Sun Jan 10, 2016 3:59 am

Chisamba :mrgreen: . Bull terriers look like such hams.

I let my two beagles (RIP) on the bed. Queen size bed and just one human. Plenty of room for me and 2 beagles...you would think. Turbo was gentlemanly and kept to the other side of the bed. Peanut...she would lay against me and any time I moved, wiggle closer to me. Many a morning I woke up with about 12 inches of bed under me :roll: . Silly dog.

I don't have dog now but yes, the cats are allowed. You don't really not allow a cat. If I shut them out of the bedroom, I would get no sleep as they would be yowling by the door.

Susan

Sharonbc
Greenie

Postby Sharonbc » Tue Jan 12, 2016 4:26 am

No dogs on our bed when husband and I are in it. But, once one of us gets up to leave, the younger dog Will jump up. Double bed is barely big enough for the two of us, let alone two bigger dogs! The cat, on the other hand, likes to sleep on my hip. And if the ugly orange cat joins us, he will sleep on my hip, while the first one will come and sleep on my face. Orange cat gets the boot, and Kitten gets moved back down.

Sage, our old dog (17), was never big on getting on the couch. When CC passed, and we got another fluffy dog, he said no dogs on the couch. Right. Sasha was not even home a week and he had her up on the couch with him!

Racetrackreject
500 post plus club

Postby Racetrackreject » Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:04 pm

My JRT sleeps in the bed with me. There are 2 things I find funny about this. I have a queen sized bed and when the SO is in, if the dog sleeps on SO's side of the bed, the bed seems too small, but if the dog sleeps on my side, it's just right. The other thins is, when it's just Tanner and I, how does a less than 20lb dog take 75% of the bed?

tempi20017
Greenie

Postby tempi20017 » Wed May 18, 2016 4:14 pm

My four scruffy-looking' nerfherders are always on the bed or the couch. They all have their own beds, but only go in them when they are trying to avoid getting their nails trimmed.

Return to “The Menagerie”