Elderly Dog Help: UPDATE- We said our goodbyes

All about the animals that are in our lives that are NOT horses
PhoenixRising
500 post plus club

Elderly Dog Help: UPDATE- We said our goodbyes

Postby PhoenixRising » Tue Dec 17, 2019 4:39 pm

Have any of you tried or heard of using golden paste for dogs? Our old girl, roughly 13, is starting to really show some signs of aging and I'm getting worried. A friend suggested I try golden paste.

She started developing what seems to be fatty tumors about a year ago, but more recently she's really slowed down and is sleeping a lot. She's a nervous dog, and used to pace the house. Now when she comes inside she just lays down and sleeps. Not only does she just lay down and sleep, but she doesn't get up when we step over her or move the coffee table when she's laying next to it. She's thinned out a bit over the hips, and I've upped her food. I've also noticed her starting to limp on the front when she gets up, this is new and just started in the last couple weeks. Once she's moving it seems to improve.
This is totally unlike her.
I know she's old, but I'll do anything to keep her comfortable and around as long as possible.
Attachments
Trudy Sleep.jpg
Trudy Sleep.jpg (107.3 KiB) Viewed 14037 times
Go confidently in the direction of your dreams, live the life you've imagined!

heddylamar
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: Golden Paste for Dogs?

Postby heddylamar » Tue Dec 17, 2019 5:29 pm

Have you taken her to the vet? I'd be concerned about what side effects a regular dose of anti-inflammatory would have on an older dog.

Mom has her younger (10 yo) lab on Cosequin chewables, and her frail older lab was on weekly injections plus daily chewables. She also fed the oldster chicken and rice, plus dry food twice a day. As T got really frail, she added hardboiled eggs then split the two meals into three.

PhoenixRising
500 post plus club

Postby PhoenixRising » Tue Dec 17, 2019 5:42 pm

heddylamar wrote:Have you taken her to the vet?

I did take her a couple months ago to have the fatty tumors looked at. I wasn't a big fan of the vet we ended up seeing that day. It wasn't our usual vet(same office, different doctor), so I've been planning to take her in again after the new year.
I feel like she's gone downhill significantly since then though, so a lot of my current concerns weren't discussed then. At that point she was still playing with the puppy here and there. She still has moments she gets excited and playful, but its getting less and less.

acheyarcher
Herd Member

Postby acheyarcher » Wed Dec 25, 2019 2:02 pm

There is nothing particularly bad with golden paste except the possibility of digestive upset to start. Turmeric makes me sweat a few hours after eating which I assume is vasodilation.

LIpomas are not in themselves a dangerous situation, though they can cause mechanical issues if in an unfortunate location, as you know.

I would be concerned that there is a systemic issue. I agree that a new vet visit is in order. Make your entering concern about a sudden and rapid falling off of energy attention and loss of typical behavior. A limp that warms out. For me that would signal attention organ function, heart and arthritis; more whole dog rather than single issue focus.

Poor old friend

PhoenixRising
500 post plus club

Postby PhoenixRising » Wed Dec 25, 2019 3:22 pm

acheyarcher wrote:I would be concerned that there is a systemic issue. I agree that a new vet visit is in order. Make your entering concern about a sudden and rapid falling off of energy attention and loss of typical behavior. A limp that warms out. For me that would signal attention organ function, heart and arthritis; more whole dog rather than single issue focus.

I’m getting more and more afraid you’re right.
Yesterday she did little more than sleep. I had to really motivate her to even get up and around to go outside. Her appetite has been hit and miss since thanksgiving, and last night I could have sworn her breathing was sounding raspy or labored. Made me wonder if she’s developed tumors on her lungs as well.
I started her on a painkiller to get us through until we make it to the vet. I’m monitoring now to see how that goes. I have her the first dose last night and she does seem to have a bit more spring in her step this morning.
I’m going to try to get her in Saturday to the vet I think. Run some bloods to check organ function and go from there.

She’s been with me for 12 years, since I was in high school, and she wasn’t a puppy when she came home. My heart hurts seeing her like this and I just can’t bear the thought of having to let her go. I’ve always told her when she goes to go fast, but to warn me first. Part of me worries she doing exactly that. The other part of me thinks I’m being dramatic.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Thu Dec 26, 2019 12:15 pm

The good news: Her weight looks fine---she certainly does not need to gain anything and could be slimmer. The increased rate of sleep is not that extreme for an older dog, either. However, I expect discomfort with movement is adding to her choice to stay put.

The less good news: You need a new vet who is better at listening to your observations and assessing your dog. Basic stuff to consider with aging dogs is much more systemic. I would think a blood panel would have been drawn at the least. The limp could just be advanced osteoarthritis (and there are med options to help with that pain to improve movement/daily activities)---or could be a sign of something else.

PhoenixRising
500 post plus club

Postby PhoenixRising » Thu Dec 26, 2019 3:38 pm

piedmontfields wrote:The good news: Her weight looks fine---she certainly does not need to gain anything and could be slimmer.

The less good news: You need a new vet who is better at listening to your observations and assessing your dog.

I think that picture is a bit misleading on her weight. She's actually really fluffy and while she's not insanely thin, I don't like how her hip bones are starting to stick out. It's slight at this point, but noticeable to me.
I agree about the vet. The office I use doesn't take appointments, but they usually let you request your preferred vet and you have the option to wait to see them. Last time I went, they didn't ask like they were supposed to and I got stuck with the one who no one I have talked about that vets office seems to like. When I go back this weekend I'm going to insist on one of the two I like and usually use. Also, when I went last time the majority of this hadn't started yet, only the fatty tumors. Everything except the fatty tumors has been a pretty rapid onset.

acheyarcher
Herd Member

Postby acheyarcher » Fri Dec 27, 2019 12:24 am

Lipomas, as a rule are not usually malignant and are not likely to be in the chest.

I would, however worry about other chest pathology like heart condition or lymphoma.

A vet office that does not book appointments sounds unusual. I would if you need to seek out a bit more of a quality facility or call and have a frank discussion that you wish to have an early AM appointment with your trusted older vet. Beyond blood work, you really are going to need X rays here.

MIght it be a bit better to prioritize and do this tomorrow?

Keeping you in my thoughts

PhoenixRising
500 post plus club

Postby PhoenixRising » Fri Dec 27, 2019 3:49 pm

Unfortunately I don't have the PTO to take her during the week right now, but we're going tomorrow morning (Saturday)!

A friend had leftover pain meds from an old dog she had with pain issues (Meloxicam). She let me have them to try, and Trudy has perked up quite a bit since starting them a few days ago. I was hesitant to try anything without consulting a vet but with the holidays and everything I was desperate for something to hold us over and make her more comfortable. I think pain management is going to be a big piece of this!

Chisamba

Re: Golden Paste for Dogs: Elderly Dog Help

Postby Chisamba » Sat Dec 28, 2019 2:35 am

Are you in a Lyme area? My old dog got very sore and lethargic and had a high Lyme titre. Doxycycline was the treatment

khall

Postby khall » Mon Dec 30, 2019 6:13 pm

Be careful with Meloxicam. I could only use it with my big dog (95 lbs)it is too strong of meds for my smaller ones even my 60 lb guy. I like to keep on hand previcox which is a NSAID and have tramadol for the bad stuff but only on vet's advice. Thankfully I have vet friends I can call if I need them to give me dosages.

PhoenixRising
500 post plus club

Postby PhoenixRising » Thu Jan 02, 2020 5:13 pm

Quick update.
She has shown so much improvement on the pain meds that I really think that's the biggest issue. She's gotten bounce back in her step and some of her activity level back.
The vet said she has a heart murmur, but isn't surprised by that with her age. Everything else about her heart sounds perfect, and her lungs also sound clear.
He switched from the Meloxicam to Deramaxx, stating its much safer. I'm testing out how that's working now. I don't think its as effective as the other was but he only gave me about 2 weeks worth so if its not enough I'll ask for something stronger then.
He thinks the thinning over the hip bones is a result of the days she's refused to eat, combined with much less activity. Muscle atrophy from disuse basically.
I'm closely monitoring to see how she handles these pain meds, and we'll proceed with stronger medication if needed. We've also started the conversation with the vet so will proceed with blood work if it comes to that as well but with how well she responded to the pain medication I'm not sure it's necessary yet.

PhoenixRising
500 post plus club

Postby PhoenixRising » Tue Mar 17, 2020 6:31 pm

Well, we were doing so much better...

Since my last post, she's been happy. Playing, running around the yard, seeming like her normal self.
Then a couple weeks ago the pain meds seemed to stop helping as much.
And now she's not eating again.

I've ordered some liquid calories to get down her tonight and I hope it gets her a bit perked up.
We're going to the vet in the morning.

PhoenixRising
500 post plus club

Re: Elderly Dog Help: UPDATE- We said our goodbyes

Postby PhoenixRising » Tue Apr 14, 2020 6:57 pm

It's taken me a long time to be able to write this.
March 19th we said our goodbyes.
I sat on the floor of the vet with her and held her in my lap sobbing the entire time. Even our vet held back tears.
It was kidney failure, but ultimately the vet said it was old age and there wasn't much we could have done, her body was just failing. He said multiple times that she truly was old for her size and type.

She lived with me through so much. End of highschool, college, marriage, divorce, and eventually re-marrying.... even night school while working 2 jobs.
She was always a fairly aloof being, but had a way of knowing when I wasn't ok and showed her support in her own ways. A good friend once told me that she didn't believe she'd ever leave me until she was sure I was going to be ok without her.... I truly believe she did that.
She was the kindest, most gentle soul I have ever met. One of the truly great, irreplaceable.

Adjusting to life without her has been so, so hard. There's a hole in the house that's just her shape and size where she should be. I've caught myself looking for her a couple times, forgetting briefly that she's gone, and then I remember.

I still cry when I think about it too much.

There's so much more I could say, but I'll leave it at this.

This picture is from our better days, camping in the Ozarks and cooling off on a hot day. I'm doing my best to remember her this way.
Attachments
Trudygirl.jpg
Trudygirl.jpg (41.61 KiB) Viewed 13112 times

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Tue Apr 14, 2020 7:17 pm

Aww, I'm so sorry Phoenix. :( I wish they could stay with us longer.
Keep calm and canter on.

Kyra's Mom
500 post plus club

Postby Kyra's Mom » Wed Apr 15, 2020 5:18 pm

{{{{PhoenixRising}}}}

I just went through this with my Mom's old dog who was about the same age. Probably the same issue (kidney's). Early she seemed to be in some pain but nothing marked...still bright at times but she WOULD NOT eat. I battled for 6 weeks...we tried appetite stimulants and ANY food we could get her to eat. One week is was McNuggets :? It was a losing battle and we helped her across the bridge on March 6th.

Such a hole they leave :cry: .

Susan
from susamorg on the UDBB

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Wed Apr 15, 2020 6:08 pm

I am so sorry, Phoenix <3

Flight

Postby Flight » Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:25 pm

So sorry Phoenix :(
They are truly the best friends you can have around and it's so sad when they go.

Josette

Postby Josette » Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:54 pm

I am so sorry for your loss. :cry:

amygdala
Herd Member

Postby amygdala » Thu Apr 16, 2020 3:10 am

so sorry for your loss. (((hugs)))

Return to “The Menagerie”