Good quality kitten food

All about the animals that are in our lives that are NOT horses
Kramer
Greenie

Good quality kitten food

Postby Kramer » Fri Dec 25, 2015 12:43 pm

I recently adopted a 6 month old kitten. She was a rescue, but she's in great health now. What is a good quality wet kitten food? I prefer grain free. She is currently eating Purina One because that's all my local feed store had. She also gets Wellness Core dry kitten food.
Thanks!

Pippigirl
Greenie

Re: Good quality kitten food

Postby Pippigirl » Sun Dec 27, 2015 5:26 am

While I feed my cats a raw diet I have heard good things about the canned cat food from Hounds and Gatos

http://houndgatos.com/cat-products.aspx

Kyra's Mom
500 post plus club

Postby Kyra's Mom » Tue Dec 29, 2015 6:11 am

At 6 months old, I wouldn't worry about specific "kitten" food. All good cat food should be enough protein for a kitten.

I also feed a commercial raw (RadCat) mixed with canned. I have finally found some foods that both cats are eating consistently. They love the raw but will leave the canned if they don't like it and of course, neither one will eat what the other likes :lol: ..

I have ended up feeding one a newer food called Nulo. My male cat was a little constipated on the RadCat (despite the added psyllium in it) and Fancy Feast (that is what he would eat). The Nulo has a few fruits in it (cranberry and pumpkin down the list a ways) but does have pea fiber and that has seemed to be the ticket for him and correcting the constipation. Emmy is happily eating Merrick Limited ingredient food. She will eat the duck, chicken and turkey (but alas doesn't like the Nulo). I pay $1.69/5.5 oz can for both of these foods which is not too bad for grain free. I am lucky to have several locally owned pet food stores in the area that carry a large variety of foods. I have fed the Hound & Gatos and mine will eat the chicken. It is also better priced that many. Mine have also liked the Wellness brand but it has changed a bit in the last year (I think the company was bought out) and they are a bit pickier about it.

Don't pay for "premium" food that is chock full of vegetables. Cats don't need veggies although a few certainly won't hurt. I refuse to pay the prices for those foods that have whole peas and chunks of carrots or a bunch of fruit. Fancy Feast classic...without the gluten...isn't that bad. It is mostly meat and some by-products but at least it is meat by-products and not a bunch of veggies and fruit.

Congrats on the kitten.

Susan

Kramer
Greenie

Postby Kramer » Tue Dec 29, 2015 4:22 pm

Thanks for the ideas. Luckily she will eat anything, so I'll check out these recommendations. :D

Kramer
Greenie

Postby Kramer » Fri Jan 01, 2016 7:37 pm

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (93.1 KiB) Viewed 8928 times

Here she is!

Kyra's Mom
500 post plus club

Postby Kyra's Mom » Sun Jan 10, 2016 3:51 am

What a lovely girl. I love the tabby varieties.

I have a torbie and a tabby.

Susan

LindaJ
Herd Member

Postby LindaJ » Fri Jan 22, 2016 11:04 pm

Beautiful little kitty <3

Whichever high quality food you decide on, just make sure she is getting enough moisture in her diet. Cats love crunchy foods, but don't always drink enough water. Make sure she is getting good quality wet/canned food also :) Later in life they can develop kidney problems if this isn't part of their diet.

Return to “The Menagerie”