Dog rabies vaccine - how often is safe?

All about the animals that are in our lives that are NOT horses
Josette
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Dog rabies vaccine - how often is safe?

Postby Josette » Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:31 pm

How often is it safe to administer dog rabies vaccine? My chihuahua rescue has a rabies vaccine that does not expire until August 2016 but the township record keeper wants it done by Jan 2016 (yes - it's Feb now). I called the vet office and they just want your money and will give vaccine out anytime. They also were unable to tell me safety of vaccine if it contained mercury adjuvant. They DID NOT KNOW WHAT was in the vaccine they administer to pets!! Okay - that got me royally ticked off too. I just had my older dog given rabies vaccine 2 weeks ago as his had expired - he was sick for 2 days. I'm venting but at this point I do not want to vaccinate my chihuahua mix. I should never have registered that I was a dog owner. There are so many people who do not.....

angela9823
Herd Member

Re: Dog rabies vaccine - how often is safe?

Postby angela9823 » Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:28 pm

A couple of thoughts on this. First, what are the state vet rules? I don't think a township keeper can overrule what the state's vet rules are and I'd argue it if these are yearly shots (which is my second thought). If this is a yearly shot, I'd not want to re administer it that soon especially on a dog so small. If this was a once every three year shot, I'd probably go ahead and do it just to keep them off my back though.

Josette
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby Josette » Thu Feb 04, 2016 3:56 pm

I made an appt this afternoon with my vet. It is the 3 year vaccine but I will insist on confirmation that it is mercury free.

Code3
Herd Member

Postby Code3 » Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:54 pm

In the past, the one year and three year vaccines were the same, just the protocol had changed. FWIW, studies have shown that rabies vaccines last much longer than three years. Have you considered a titer? I am lucky to live where the vet can write a letter showing your dog has been been titered and that is sufficient for the rabies requirement for licensing.

Return to “The Menagerie”