Accountability

A forum dedicated to getting the rider healthy and fit and ready to ride!!
heddylamar
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: Accountability

Postby heddylamar » Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:22 pm

StraightForward wrote:Wow, that is a serious time difference! Did you have a tailwind? :lol: I read somewhere that 50f has been identified as the optimal temperature for running. I'm sure it varies a little by person, but in general, that seems to be where running gets good. I'm very happy down to low 20's with the right clothes.

To my surprise, today was pretty much my normal pace. My hip’s been varying levels of NQR since I re-injured it last November, so I’ve not been hitting my normal miles. I’m crediting the 2:01:03 to cold weather :D

I LOVE running in sub-20 weather!! If it’s snowing, I’m running. If it’s sub-20, I’m running. It was snowing a teeny bit a few years ago, DC was shut down because SNOW, so I drove into the city to run along the mall and Rock Creek parkway in the snow.

I’m going to try that soup with vegetable broth.

demi

Postby demi » Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:44 am

heddylamar wrote:
...I LOVE running in sub-20 weather!! If it’s snowing, I’m running. If it’s sub-20, I’m running....

I love this. How I wish I still had that youthful exuberance. But I can still feel it through heddy’s posts :)

kande50

Postby kande50 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:57 pm

demi wrote:
heddylamar wrote:
...I LOVE running in sub-20 weather!!

I love this.

Brings back fond memories, as long as I isolate the running part from the rest of it (having to go to work, mostly). Now it's more about walking, skiing, and riding than running, but I agree that getting out in the cold is invigorating whether on foot or on a horse.

I have 2 pair of winter shoes and pads sitting on the table, and as soon as it looks like we're going to need them I'm going to nail them on. Last winter I didn't and then we didn't ride much, and I'm not going to repeat that.

Tuddy
500 post plus club

Postby Tuddy » Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:33 pm

I have to give all you runners credit, the only time I run is when I am being chased! Lol!

My arm is kind of giving me grief today, but I know how to work through it, back to the gym and fitness class this week, diet has been going well.

I am feeling pretty good! Have a great day!

Tuddy
500 post plus club

Postby Tuddy » Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:27 pm

On another note - I did reactivate my My Fitness Pal account. I am seriously trying to lose about 10 lbs. Or at least re-arrange it. I love food, this is going to be tough lol! I am not, I repeat, am not, giving up wine though! Haha

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:06 pm

I'm on the IR list right now. Got sick at the airprt on Monday -- day 1 of our vacation -- seemed to get better until Wednesdy night. Ended up at urgent care getting steroids and antibiotics yesterday. Whee. :|

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:55 pm

How is everyone doing? Only a one month slog through Christmas cookies and nog until everyone hits the wall and starts making NY's fitness resolutions.

Knee was a little cranky after running last weekend, so I've been walking the dog at night. At least lots of neighbors have lights up, which makes it a little more pleasant to walk around in the cold.

Heddy, hope you are recovered from your bug!
Keep calm and canter on.

kande50

Postby kande50 » Sat Dec 01, 2018 3:34 pm

Been having more trouble getting motivated to ride enough, so started walking and skiing more. Still consuming too much sugar, salt and fat, but added more veggies and beans to help dilute them.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:09 am

It's been too freaking cold to do anything but eat all the things. However it is supposed to warm up closer to freezing this weekend so maybe I'll be able to do the chores and get a walk in of a morning! A week off riding while Laddie recovers has made me grumpy and I'm looking forward to getting things moving along a bit/

We tried the adding beans thing, Kande. All I can say is don't do it if you are even a week or so out from prepping for a colonoscopy... Apparently they stick around.

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:36 am

I've been fully recovered from the flu for a week+ but haven't started running yet. Tomorrow? Lol. (That's been the daily refrain since Sunday!)

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:31 pm

I had my first cookie this year. Its shocking how dramatic the effect was on my blood glucose. Genuinely shocking. The good thing was it didn't taste that good so I am good for a while.

Do tlou knows that some places run their beef with sugar. Fucking irritating to order a steak and end up with high sugars. Grrrr.

I think restaurants should be forced to list ingredients on the menus.

musical comedy

Postby musical comedy » Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:30 pm

Chisamba wrote:I had my first cookie this year. Its shocking how dramatic the effect was on my blood glucose. Genuinely shocking. The good thing was it didn't taste that good so I am good for a while.
Really? Do you test daily? My DH tests daily now because his type 2 diabetes had gotten really bad. Dr.'s nurse has him logging in his food and she calls weekly to get details on how he's doing. It is truly amazing what restricting sugar can do. He has lost 25 pounds. Today he said his glucose was the lowest it's ever been. He still eats some carbs, but no simple carbs. The last time I got overweight, I dieted and just calorie counted eating a basic decent diet. The pounds came flying off. Imo it's so much more about diet than exercise. Lord knows, DH doesn't get any exercise.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:32 pm

musical comedy wrote:
Chisamba wrote:I had my first cookie this year. Its shocking how dramatic the effect was on my blood glucose. Genuinely shocking. The good thing was it didn't taste that good so I am good for a while.
Really? Do you test daily? My DH tests daily now because his type 2 diabetes had gotten really bad. Dr.'s nurse has him logging in his food and she calls weekly to get details on how he's doing. It is truly amazing what restricting sugar can do. He has lost 25 pounds. Today he said his glucose was the lowest it's ever been. He still eats some carbs, but no simple carbs. The last time I got overweight, I dieted and just calorie counted eating a basic decent diet. The pounds came flying off. Imo it's so much more about diet than exercise. Lord knows, DH doesn't get any exercise.

I test 4 to 5 times a day I especially test more if I eat differently. I have over the years worked out what I really shouldn't eat!

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:21 pm

Went for a run yesterday - it was better than the previous run at least, but I need to do more if I want to start running better.

Way too much food happening right now. I'll be happy if I can maintain for the next two weeks, and then work on dropping again. I'd love to be down 8-10# by the time Annabelle's rehab is over.

Traveling for work this week, so I will make a concerted effort to use the hotel gym 3x and keep the eating non-ridiculous.
Keep calm and canter on.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:47 pm

I went to my husband christmas party on Friday. I tried to stick to healthy options and did pretty well, BUT i did have bread pudding dessert, flambe in Grand Marnier and Bourbon with lots of butter, and a bit of sugar, that flambe was out of this world good and i decided it was worth the calories

Tuddy
500 post plus club

Postby Tuddy » Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:28 pm

I'm starting lessons in the new year... I'll post about that in a different thread.. but my breeches and I had a "discussion" today, which ended in me telling them, "Ya, well, I don't need you anyways because I'll be wearing snow pants in the saddle because winter!!!" And I threw them back in the closet. Hmmph.
Stupid breeches.

demi

Postby demi » Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:57 am

Tuddy, we must have the same breeches! Mine are stupid, too!!! Especially my white show breeches. If the white ones weren’t in such excellent condition (I didnt show much) I’d just throw them out and get myself some smart breeches.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:34 pm

a friend gave me a bag of winter breeches that are too small for her. they fit and i am so grateful, but... the full seats really are not very flexible or forgiving!!!

I went to the doctor for my check up and i have lost 65 pounds, i hate to admit it, because that tells how really fat i was, but its a nice sounding number to have lost. so i admit it. i would like to settle at five more pounds gone. i think i am quite happy with where i am now, so the trick is maintaining and maybe a litte more loss. any favorite tricks for lotions to help loose skin?

musical comedy

Postby musical comedy » Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:50 pm

Chisamba wrote:a friend gave me a bag of winter breeches that are too small for her. they fit and i am so grateful, but... the full seats really are not very flexible or forgiving!!!

I went to the doctor for my check up and i have lost 65 pounds, i hate to admit it, because that tells how really fat i was, but its a nice sounding number to have lost. so i admit it. i would like to settle at five more pounds gone. i think i am quite happy with where i am now, so the trick is maintaining and maybe a litte more loss. any favorite tricks for lotions to help loose skin?
A huge congratulations to you. That is truly amazing. I can't ride in full seats, and I don't. I ride in thin stretchy pull on cheapies. There is no help for loose skin, especially when older. Except of course, for the knife.

Tuddy
500 post plus club

Postby Tuddy » Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:19 pm

Chisamba wrote:a friend gave me a bag of winter breeches that are too small for her. they fit and i am so grateful, but... the full seats really are not very flexible or forgiving!!!

First off, CONGRATULATIONS!

As for loose skin... yup, we are kind of stuck with it. But be proud of it!

kande50

Postby kande50 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:33 pm

musical comedy wrote:There is no help for loose skin, especially when older. Except of course, for the knife.

I've heard that lifting weights can build muscle and help fill loose skin back out again, but I'm not convinced enough to start lifting weights. Nor do I mind the loose skin enough to do anything about it, although I could go for some more muscle if it didn't take such a huge effort to get it.

I'm just hoping it's enough to get out there and ride a few days a week, clean a few stalls, wrestle some hay, trim a hoof or two.... Although I think I'd better start trimming more than a hoof or two, because I only did 4 this morning and I was dying. :-(

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:54 am

musical comedy wrote:A huge congratulations to you. That is truly amazing. I can't ride in full seats, and I don't. I ride in thin stretchy pull on cheapies. There is no help for loose skin, especially when older. Except of course, for the knife.

Thank you, I feel like a huge weight has been lifted. ;)

I dont usually ride in full seats, I agree with you but have not found many simpatico on this topic. We must be the few . But they were free and warm and I'm living with it for now.

Tuddy
500 post plus club

Postby Tuddy » Thu Dec 27, 2018 1:46 pm

Now that the Christmas binge at the feed trough is over at my house, I can get back to my routine. I started the day off with oatmeal, because if I have to look at one more cabbage roll or mashed potato, I may just explode.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Tue Jan 01, 2019 3:36 am

I let the holidays derail me a bit, especially with moping around not being able ride, but that's officially over. I've stocked the fridge with spinach and lettuce, and have a clean menu plan worked up for the week.

Exercise has been OK - I can pretty much jog 3 miles, have been walking the dog and hitting the gym intermittently. I'm going to give myself a few days to lose water weight before I weigh in and see if any damage has been done.
Keep calm and canter on.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Tue Jan 01, 2019 5:29 am

I started the new year enjoying a healthy salad. Hope it continues well. Happy new year and happy health everyone

Tuddy
500 post plus club

Postby Tuddy » Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:45 pm

https://www.instagram.com/p/Br8m_T0AxuA ... fsq0ecezkh

Pardon my language in some of the text in the link... but I had a little motivation to hit the gym the other day lol!!

We had our last holiday get together last night and I couldn't even look at all the food people brought. All I wanted was a veggie!

I can't wait to get back to my routine!

All the best to everyone in 2019! Stay healthy and happy!

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:10 am

I'd started running again after the bout with the flu and sinus infection over Thanksgiving ... only to be felled by norovirus the Friday before Christmas (Is it the holidays? Coming up on 40? I've never been sick so often in a single year as I have this fall!) Anyway, back to running, YAY!!

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:10 pm

how is everyone doing?

Tuddy
500 post plus club

Postby Tuddy » Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:08 pm

Ryeissa wrote:how is everyone doing?

Horrible, but thanks for asking! Ha ha!

I was in such a funk after Christmas, and my shoulder still hurts, but I am slowly, so slowly, getting back to my routine. Last week was my birthday week and my work family absolutely spoiled me...which in turn mixed me and my body all up.

I am getting my will power back, and I am more motivated to be a healthier human.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:55 pm

I'm sorry about your shoulder! Happy birthday....! thanks for the update

Tuddy
500 post plus club

Postby Tuddy » Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:58 pm

Ryeissa wrote:I'm sorry about your shoulder! Happy birthday....! thanks for the update

Thanks! The thing about my shoulder is that I need to get back to the gym to strengthen it, which will help tremendously. So back to yoga on Thursday, and I have my pole class tonight. I have packed my gym bag, and have restocked my toiletries at work. My work place has a full locker room with individual showers in it, and full towel laundry service. So it's time to start waking up early, hitting the gym and then get to work early enough to get ready for the day. I was just telling a coworker today that I there was a time where I didn't miss a day! I just cannot seem to find that motivation anymore!

My work place is really starting to promote health and wellness on a physical level, so my yoga class is free, and now, starting in March, they have added a free barre class as well. I signed up for that too.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:37 pm

Free! excellent! :)
Keep me posted. that is great! Motivation is hard for all of us but it sounds like you have a good plan

Tuddy
500 post plus club

Postby Tuddy » Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:25 pm

I am trying hard not to overdo it, but I have had a pretty good week! Diet is cleaned up - haven't had any refined sugar except gum or a breath mint, more veggies in my diet, backed off on all the unnecessary carbs, added more protein, all I do is pee, because I've upped my water intake and decreased the coffee intake. Hitting the gym and pole classes. I might ask one of the girls at the gym tonight to take some pictures, just so I can compare in a few months.

My shoulder is sore, so I am just taking it very slowly in the weight room, and at pole class too. I had a new instructor at pole last night, who also does CrossFit, so she gave me some exercises to do at the gym that might help my neck/shoulder. I am trying hard to stay away from pain/anti-inflammatories, as they are so hard on my stomach, but I might have to relent today and take one.

Only one thing I haven't taken out of my diet - wine and the odd handful of potato chips! But I actually measure out my 8 oz of wine and only grab a few chips to keep my taste buds sane lol! It's called balance! LOL!

Have a great day everyone!

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:36 pm

I joined a gym and signed up with a professional trainer to keep me motivated. I would like to lose a bit more weight but I am happy that no weight gain has happened this winter.

Tuddy
500 post plus club

Postby Tuddy » Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:33 pm

Weekly check in - I have been to the gym every day this week, starting to get the feel for the diet choices - what makes me all puffy, what hurts my tummy, what is soothing to my stomach, etc.

When I ate garbage food, I would eat it and feel gross, and then not eat anything good for me. So, it would look like I barely ate anything.
Now, I removed the garbage food, had my macros calculated for the goals I am trying to achieve, and I can hardly eat all my calories for the day. I always meet my fat macro count, if anything I go over it, but don't seem to meet my carb or protein amount. Need to do a little tweaking.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:05 pm

While I was in NM last week - hiked around White Sands' dunes a bit Monday, ran 2 miles and did a few exercises in the gym Tuesday, hiked to the top of "A" Mountain Thursday. The hike was only 2 miles, but quite steep and rocky; I was actually pleasantly surprised at how well I managed the climb.

Saturday - 4 mile run with frequent walk breaks.
Sunday - gym day; did kettlebells mostly, and deadlifted for the first time in ages.

Packing jar salads for work this week.
Keep calm and canter on.

Tuddy
500 post plus club

Postby Tuddy » Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:29 pm

Wow - I decided to have some pasta yesterday. I have been off the dairy for the past few weeks and, of course, I pick the creamiest alfredo sauce ever. And I am paying for it dearly.... Bleh.

I guess I haven't checked in the past couple weeks - still going to the gym, and pole class and doing the healthy stuff. Lost 3 lbs and some of my pants are fitting a little less tight.

Tuddy
500 post plus club

Postby Tuddy » Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:45 pm

Had to "go up one notch on my girth" this morning. :)

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Sat Mar 23, 2019 3:16 am

Tuddy wrote:Had to "go up one notch on my girth" this morning. :)

Woohooo!!!

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Sat Mar 23, 2019 4:39 am

I found those three pounds you lost. ;). I did ok with exercise and my breakfasts and dinners while on a work trip this week. Now I'm in Vegas for a night and eating everything.

Salads when I get home!
Keep calm and canter on.

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Tue Apr 02, 2019 3:16 am

I've been rehabbing my hip for over a year and a half now, and FINALLY ran a half marathon this weekend pain-free :D

Well, except where I caught a toe under a root and landed on the *other* hip, shoulder, and knee :lol: Trail races are my favorite ... and a personal nemesis. I badly shattered a hand 3 years ago at this same race.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:23 pm

How is everyone doing? I was concentrating mostly on my diet the last few months, not stressing the exercise due to my busy schedule. Getting more in the routine of working out now though. I'm doing a 1-hour strength training session on the weekend, and a shorter one mid-week, incorporating all the exercises I find help my riding the most. Now as the weather cools I'm going to have another go and running, which I've been doing very sporadically the past couple years.

I've lost about 6 pounds of a total of 15 I'd like to shed.
Keep calm and canter on.

Tuddy
500 post plus club

Postby Tuddy » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:15 pm

StraightForward wrote:How is everyone doing?
I've lost about 6 pounds of a total of 15 I'd like to shed.

Good work!

I am back at square one and am not in a good space about it, unfortunately. I will get out of my rut though, I always do. :)

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:55 pm

It's interesting to look back over my posts from this year. I started eating low-carb in April because I was frustrating with fighting sugar cravings on a daily basis, but of course hoped to lose some weight too. Went more full keto in June after my busy work travel season was over, then around late July started adding back in some homegrown carb veggies (potatoes, carrots, beets, cantaloupe), but probably still staying under 50 grams of carbs per day. This has actually been working better for me than full keto which ends up restricting vegetables (I never tested and don't think I hit ketosis). August and September I was getting in a good groove with working out, and was feeling strong. Then I got a cold around October 1 that has just finally gone away, so my toughest workouts have been long-lining Tesla and trotting Annabelle in-hand when she's too bonkers for anything else. Weighed myself this morning and I'm down 9# from April, which puts me at my lowest weight since mid-2016. Getting back to the gym routine on Sunday, and I'll be happy to stick with this slow and steady method and see where my weight levels out, because I'm not "dieting" at all, just eating what feels right to me.
Keep calm and canter on.

Return to “Rider health and fitness”