Came off on a Teleport Spook Yesterday and....

A forum dedicated to getting the rider healthy and fit and ready to ride!!
PaulaEdwina
Greenie

Came off on a Teleport Spook Yesterday and....

Postby PaulaEdwina » Thu Nov 05, 2015 3:00 am

I have to say falling as a 47 year old relatively fit 180 ish pound person was a thoroughly different experience than falling off 4 years ago as a 43 year old 230 ish pound weakling.

And I could remount from the ground!

And it was at mile 3 of a 6 mile conditioning ride (should have been 8 miles, but I completely miscalculated how fast it gets dark now).

So fitness yes!

Paula

westisbest
Herd Member

Re: Came off on a Teleport Spook Yesterday and....

Postby westisbest » Thu Nov 05, 2015 3:24 am

Ouch Paula! Wouldn't less padding hurt more ? :)... good for you for the remount.

demi
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby demi » Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:18 pm

Whoops! I second Westi about you getting back on.

Do you use chaps? The roughout kind really give extra grip. They've saved me a few times from coming off my quick little mare. I only started using chaps in the last few years and never would have believed what a difference they make until the first time she gave me a huge Arab spook.

PaulaEdwina
Greenie

Postby PaulaEdwina » Thu Nov 05, 2015 1:22 pm

No I don't wear chaps, but I am looking at some full seat, boot cut jeans. I usually don't have an issue with his spook -I am pretty sticky and have decent reaction time. I just didn't see this coming and it was pretty violent :D We were cantering up the hack trail and our cows were in the left corner. I saw them, he didn't see them so he kind of went WTF! And did that thing they do where they drop that shoulder and launch sideways. I didn't know I came off until I was in mid air and my brain went WTF! Then I was on the ground. I don't know that anyone can sit the teleport spook -where they disappear from under you and re-appear somewhere else :lol:

Sigh; I guess I needed to be reminded that I am riding a 1200 lb prey animal :lol:

But fitness-wise; got up, picked up my phone and put it back in the clip, walked over and mounted. That's not something that would have happened 4 years ago.

Paula

gypsy still flies
Greenie

Postby gypsy still flies » Thu Nov 12, 2015 6:20 pm

Hope you're ok. Rustle sppoks at air sometimes so I've gotten in the habit of warning him about stuff. Like when we go past the micro pigs, I tell him pigs on the left/right depending on how we're approaching them.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Wed Dec 23, 2015 7:52 pm

I'm so proud of you! I remember your early posts with Fella- you have come a long way! very inspirational.

TeresaA
Herd Member

Postby TeresaA » Sun Dec 27, 2015 1:20 am

I came off with a teleport spook (what a great way to describe it). Landed on my feet. I manage to do that 9 times out of 10 but have no idea how :lol:

I may have to get those chaps. Or install a seatbelt.

PaulaEdwina
Greenie

Postby PaulaEdwina » Tue Dec 29, 2015 12:57 am

Ryeissa wrote:I'm so proud of you! I remember your early posts with Fella- you have come a long way! very inspirational.

Thank you, Ryeissa! I am very happy with our progress as well. I think the best thing we ever did was move to a barn full of cowboys and eventers!

Paula

Sue B

Postby Sue B » Tue Dec 29, 2015 7:59 pm

I had a horse teleport out from me once while I was shortening the stirrups for a gallop. My friend said a pheasant flew up from under the horse. All I know is 1 second I'm in the saddle and the next I'm sitting in the air still trying to adjust that stirrup! I kinda summersaulted to the ground, landing facing the horse, reins still in my hand. :lol: I swear I never felt him even flinch a muscle, let alone move. Friend about fell off her horse laughing from the sight of me sitting in the air. Man that horse could move.

Congratulations on coming off and still being able to hop back on without fence or mounting block. That shows just how very far you have come with the "new you" body. :) :) :)

PaulaEdwina
Greenie

Postby PaulaEdwina » Sun Jan 10, 2016 3:34 am

Sue, your description made me laugh out loud! It is kind of comical when they move that fast!

Paula

Return to “Rider health and fitness”