Dieting

A forum dedicated to getting the rider healthy and fit and ready to ride!!
musical comedy
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Dieting

Postby musical comedy » Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:46 pm

I want to tell you my personal views on dieting.

First of all, I believe weight is a product of the genes we are born with. I think some people are just destined to be thin or heavy because of that. I'm fortunate to have been born with a thin gene, but that doesn't mean I haven't had some weight issues.

The first time I dieted was way back in 1979. I did it with Nutri-System which was just starting at that time. The diet they put you on (with their own foods) was something like 800 calories a day. You had to check in with them a couple times a week with a urine sample. You had to go into ketosis. The canned food looked like cat food and probably tasted the same. I lost 25 pounds quickly on that diet and was able to maintain it for a good while. It took great dedication to stay on this diet, but as the pounds rolled off and I looked better, it was an incentive to keep it up.

The next diet in 1990 I used calorie counting. I used an online calorie counting tool called FitDay.com. I religiously logged in my foods daily and initially kept the daily calorie intake at 1200. When I reached my goal, I increased the calories to 1500 but I kept on losing. It was like a delayed reaction. I went from 153 to 112! I looked like a skeleton at 112 and everyone thought I was sick and didn't hesitate to tell me how bad I looked.

I eventually increased my weight and I stayed in the high 130's to most recent 143. When my husband got sick and died, I couldn't eat much and the weight rolled off to the point I got to 130. I decided I liked myself at 130 or a little less so I went back to FitDay to keep track of my calories. I am eating between 1500 and 1700 calories a day, and I am maintaining and actually even lost a pound or so. I weigh myself nude every single morning and it's been starting at 129. It goes up during the day depending on what I eat. It is not easy keeping the calories to 1500; at least not for me. I think a lot of people do not realize how many calories they consume each day.

Ok, now to the point I want to make. I read all you guys talking about cutting carbs. When I lost the 40+ pounds by calorie counting in 1990, I did not cut carbs nor did I increase my exercise. Just counting calories. My opinion is that no matter what you eat, it is the number of calories that count. If you eat a couple pieces of cake for 1000 calories it is no different than if you eat two burgers for 1000 calories. The point is that you cannot get proper nutrition and fiber from eating junk foods. Plus, you need to get some bang for you buck. One tiny piece of chocolate for 200 calories is not going to fill you up like 1/4 cup of FiberOne cereal with 60 calories and 14 grams of fiber.

All that said, like anything, the key to keeping thin (besides lucking out with good genes) is maintaining the right amount of calories on a CONSISTENT basis. That is my opinion.

StraightForward

Re: Dieting

Postby StraightForward » Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:17 pm

Well - I have been cutting carbs lately, and losing weight slowly (5# over several weeks). I did it more because I was eating carbs and then having a constant fight with myself over craving sugary things. I am not trying to get to ketosis, and probably eat about 30 grams of carbs most days.

I'm not eating "junk" I eat meat, vegetables, and full-fat dairy mostly. I get plenty of fiber. The nice thing is I can go 15-18 hours from dinner until the next time I eat, and not be hungry at all. I think the Atkins craze gave low-carb a bad rap with people living off of bacon and meal replacements. I think chocolate vs. FiberOne is a false equivalency. I'm more likely to have a green salad with some avocado and an egg or tuna, which I think is more nutritious and certainly more tasty/satisfying than a bowl of cereal.

I'm not tracking calories, so if I'm eating less calories overall, it's because it's easy and feels natural, whereas if I was eating more carbs, I'd have to track more closely because the blood sugar swings leading to extra hunger and cravings. I'd only planned to do this for a few weeks to stop the sugar cravings, but it's been so easy that it's not taking any willpower to stick with it (just went down to a free employee lunch, got some pulled pork and salad; was not tempted by the baked beans or macaroni salad at all). I also seem to have more even energy throughout the day.
Keep calm and canter on.

musical comedy

Postby musical comedy » Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:13 pm

StraightForward wrote: I think chocolate vs. FiberOne is a false equivalency. I'm more likely to have a green salad with some avocado and an egg or tuna, which I think is more nutritious and certainly more tasty/satisfying than a bowl of cereal.
I didn't mean to allude that it was equivalent. You missed the point and I'm not sure I can explain better what I mean. Of course egg/tuna/salad is nutritious and more satisfying than Fiber One. It's not like I live on Fiber One :lol: . What I like about it is that for 1/4 cup I get 14g of fiber and only 60 calories. It's hard for me to get enough fiber otherwise. My point is that I believe it is number of calories that is important in weight loss or gain, not specifically what one eats. If carbs generate more hunger and don't keep you satisfied, then of course don't eat them. I'm the opposite. So far today I've eaten 130g of carbs and I'm not done yet.

Any diet that works and still gives good nutrition is good. However, a lot of people (and I not pointing to anyone specific) seem to always have this goal to lose weight and it never happens. That is because, I believe, they don't stick with the program. It's a lifelong commitment unless, as I've said, you a born with genes that allow you to eat anything and stay slim.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:33 pm

No, I get your point and agree that overall calories are important. However, for many people, myself included, cutting carbs is a very expedient way to control total calories without having to track closely or go hungry, and that it's entirely possible, focusing on whole foods, to eat a lot of nutrients and fiber without many net carbs.

If you can eat carbs and maintain the weight you want, along with your sanity, that is great. However, with eating plentiful vegetables, fiber is never a problem.

I lost almost 60# several years ago through diet and exercise, and have kept most of it off, but about 15 pounds crept back on over the past few years that I haven't been able to ride or run as much. When I was running half marathon distance, about 120 grams of carbs/day was pretty ideal for me, but I need to go lower now that I don't do that much cardio.
Keep calm and canter on.

kande50

Postby kande50 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:10 pm

I also agree that it's about calories, although the kinds of food one chooses may make it easier for some to manage intake?

Something I've been trying to find out more about though, is that my GP told me I needed to gain some weight because there's a correlation between low body weight and reduced longevity. I didn't question her much about it because I thought the answers would be easy to find on the internet, but so far I've found nothing. Is anyone else familiar with that theory/idea and/or the research that supports it?

musical comedy

Postby musical comedy » Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:32 pm

kande50 wrote:I also agree that it's about calories, although the kinds of food one chooses may make it easier for some to manage intake?

Something I've been trying to find out more about though, is that my GP told me I needed to gain some weight because there's a correlation between low body weight and reduced longevity. I didn't question her much about it because I thought the answers would be easy to find on the internet, but so far I've found nothing. Is anyone else familiar with that theory/idea and/or the research that supports it?
I had not heard that, but I will look into it because I'm loving the thin me. I have heard that being thin is not good for the bones; i.e. osteoporsis. Ok, I just looked and apparently your doctor was right. This is a 2007 data though:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3865852/

I haven't read the whole thing and won't. I still don't believe it because I think overweight people are more prone to heart, BP, and diabetes problems.

kande50

Postby kande50 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:43 pm

musical comedy wrote: This is a 2007 data though:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3865852/

Thanks for the link. I read through the summaries and they were interesting, and now I know where it is so I can come back to it. I'm also planning to discuss it further with my doctor, but wanted to get some idea of what the research was looking like first.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:32 pm

I agree with Kande, I think that controlling calorie intake works differently for different people. I find eating carbs increases my appetite. I absolutely hate logging food and counting calories so naturally reducing my appetite works for me.

I absolutely agree it's a lifestyle change needed

I also totally agree that people may be genetically designed to be fatter or thinner.

scruffy the cat
Herd Member

Postby scruffy the cat » Sun Jun 23, 2019 1:57 am

kande50 wrote:Something I've been trying to find out more about though, is that my GP told me I needed to gain some weight because there's a correlation between low body weight and reduced longevity. I didn't question her much about it because I thought the answers would be easy to find on the internet, but so far I've found nothing. Is anyone else familiar with that theory/idea and/or the research that supports it?

By that measure, I should live forever! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

khall

Postby khall » Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:33 am

Scruffy I'm there with you!

Rather than diet I like to eat clean, which is about being mindful of what you eat. Eat whole foods, few ingredients no processed food. With what I am dealing with in my parents (both diagnosed with dementia, with Alzheimers in the family, my mother's father) I am also looking at diet for brain health. The Alzheimers Association recommends the MIND diet which is a variation of the Mediterranean diet. Keto has also been associated with better brain health. I need to stay away from sugar and the more processed carbs. Healthy fats, lean meats more fish and lots of veggies. I do well for awhile and then will fall off the boat for a bit. Trying to get back into eating better right now.

Exercise, any kind of cardio like biking or running is just not my thing. Looking into swimming which will help my knee (2013 tore my meniscus) and be a good cardio workout. Funny thing is my BP and heart rate is excellent:) despite the extra pounds while my DH who runs and bikes 4-5 times a week is on BP meds and is still having high BP. I take after my mom with her BP

I did not have much of a weight issue until after I got pregnant at 32. I gained so much weight pregnant and struggled to get it off. Did Atkins in mid 2000's drop probably 30# or so, felt and looked great then it slowly packed back on. I hate it, I know I am an emotional eater and often go for the easy quick to eat rather than cooking (eating clean means lots of cooking)

I am medium framed and taller than any of my immediate relatives (5' 7") except for my dad so I doubt I will have issues with brittle bones, especially with all the walking I do.

Flight

Postby Flight » Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:06 am

I love eating, that's my problem. I don't think it's emotional eating or anything, I just love sitting on the couch at the end of a day and eating a heap of something! It feels good.
I lost a good deal of weight a year or so ago and I thought I would never go back to the couch eating. But alas I have. I did find I had to eat a bit of carbs otherwise I felt sick, and finding what you like eating makes it so much easier in the long run.

musical comedy

Postby musical comedy » Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:15 am

Flight wrote: I did find I had to eat a bit of carbs otherwise I felt sick, and finding what you like eating makes it so much easier in the long run.
Me too. But going back to calorie counting, I do think a lot of people do not realize the calories in the foods they eat. They also do not realize the portion size. I recently bought a kitchen scale. 4oz of chicken or beef is not that much, folks nor is 1 cup of pasta. Some foods (that I like) are just worthless calories so I try real hard not to eat them. Potato chips would be a good example. Loaded with calories for a small amount.

Flight

Postby Flight » Fri Jul 05, 2019 3:40 am

And cheese and mayonnaise ... so expensive calorie wise!! So sad :D

blob

Postby blob » Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:49 pm

I've been lucky and not really had to worry too much about what I ate most of my life.

But now I'm in medication that is increasing appetite and I'm also just getting older, so I am paying more attention to my diet.

Admittedly, I have terrible self discipline when it comes to things like that, so trying to reduce anything (calories, carbs, etc) are difficult for me. What's been far more effective is a focus on adding in more good. I've taken to adding lots and lots of vegetables into my diet. If I eat broccoli until "full" my caloric intake can only be so high.

musical comedy

Postby musical comedy » Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:39 am

I'm getting too thin now. I don't want to get like those anorexic women that look in the mirrow and don't see themselves as skeletons.

musical comedy

Postby musical comedy » Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:56 am

I weigh myself each morning with just underwear on and do the same before bed. There is a 3.5-4 increase in weight in the evening. Just sayin.

Imperini
Herd Member

Postby Imperini » Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:38 pm

I've always struggled with my weight, I've been much thinner than I am now and I've also been much heavier. I would like to lose some weight currently but I'm also finally at a point where I'm happy being me. I sort of used to think that I'd magically become happier and people would magically like me more if I was thin. It made me obsessive to the point of being unhealthy despite never actually going below a healthy weight. I really don't think my metabolism would allow that unless I was eating nearly nothing. Calories in and calories out is valid, but calories out is pretty variable, and I do think what the calories in are does matter even if it's just for satiety. A large portion of lower calories is going to be more satisfying than a small portion of higher calories. I'm not entirely convinced that's the only factor though.

I mostly wanted to comment here because I read some interesting articles recently which were showing that even lab animals, on the same highly controlled diets, are getting fatter. Seems like there's something else that's changing the calories out part of not just people but other animals too, maybe gut bacteria changing, or something external that everyone is being exposed to.

Also my horse is fat, she gets less food than any other horse at the barn, so lots fewer calories in but apparently lots fewer out too.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:52 am

I have avoided this topic because people take it personally when you disagree with their nutritional rationale. Gosh, I remember hurt feelings, bullying and quite a contretemps on the old UDBB. But I think we are a readonable and interested crowd so I am adding to the discussion.

Nutritionally a calorie IS NOT a calorie. Calories from different sources digest differently and have different metabolic influences.

Looking only at calories ignores the metabolic effects of each calorie; the source of the calorie changes how you digest it and how you retrieve energy from it. ( Harvard medicine)

Glycemic index is helpful but also limited. Only carbohydrates are given glycemic indices but if you eat a steak with no carbohydrates, 50% of that protein is converted to carbs by the body. Also foods with similar GI can have very different influences on insulin production in the body.

So basically to be healthy , reduce food cravings, basically if you have too many insulin surges you are making it hard to lose weight, and it also increases your bodies self made cholesterol.

So I am diabetic and take long acting insulin, to maintain healthy blood glucose levels I have to be particularly careful of the insulin index of foods.

So insulin index is taken by measuring the insulin response to different food of the same caloric amount ( 250 calories) the vast difference in insulin index for the same caloric intake proves that a calorie is not equal to a calorie.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:35 pm

This is a long article, but discusses most of these points in depth: https://www.1843magazine.com/features/d ... he-calorie
Keep calm and canter on.

Imperini
Herd Member

Postby Imperini » Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:26 pm

Nice article StraightForward thank you for sharing, definitely worth the read.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Fri Oct 18, 2019 5:56 am

Interesting article, thx

Return to “Rider health and fitness”