Fitness 2020

A forum dedicated to getting the rider healthy and fit and ready to ride!!
StraightForward
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Fitness 2020

Postby StraightForward » Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:32 am

What is everyone doing to get in, and stay in the saddle?

I'm feeling pretty motivated by the idea of riding Tesla's gaits, so I've been more consistent with working out the past few months. I got in the groove by just committing to a 60 minute workout on the weekend, and a 30 minute workout on a weekday. It's hard to pretend I can't carve out 30 minutes after work. Now I'm augmenting that with a 3 mile run during the week, and a 4 mile run on the weekend. It all seems to be getting a little easier, and in a month or two I'm probably changing to a new job that will allow me to telework, so I'm thinking I can squeeze in workouts during lunch. Mostly my gym workouts are kettlebells with some other barbell, balance and flexibility work thrown in. I try to hit the rowing machine once a week as well.

I'll post my progress here and what I notice WRT my riding.
Keep calm and canter on.

Chisamba

Re: Fitness 2020

Postby Chisamba » Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:22 am

I got a fit watch for Christmas, I set my goals and track them on the watch. It also coaches me in a workout, it tells me if I stopped breathing regularly and keeps track of my pace. I quite like it.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Tue Mar 10, 2020 3:40 pm

Chisamba wrote:I got a fit watch for Christmas, I set my goals and track them on the watch. It also coaches me in a workout, it tells me if I stopped breathing regularly and keeps track of my pace. I quite like it.

What do you have? I bought a Samsung Active at Black Friday. It's quite handy for tracking runs, and sometimes seeing my step count for the day is the kick I need to get off the couch and walk the dog at night. I turned off the notifications though, because it got annoying being nagged about stretching or standing up, especially when I'm on a plane or in a work meeting. :lol:
Keep calm and canter on.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Tue Mar 10, 2020 4:59 pm

StraightForward wrote:
Chisamba wrote:I got a fit watch for Christmas, I set my goals and track them on the watch. It also coaches me in a workout, it tells me if I stopped breathing regularly and keeps track of my pace. I quite like it.

What do you have? I bought a Samsung Active at Black Friday. It's quite handy for tracking runs, and sometimes seeing my step count for the day is the kick I need to get off the couch and walk the dog at night. I turned off the notifications though, because it got annoying being nagged about stretching or standing up, especially when I'm on a plane or in a work meeting. :lol:

I have the Samsung too. Funniest thing is it thinks I'm on an elliptical when I ride Caliburn. Now I set it to workout " other" when I ride so it doesnt mix riding in with my normal exercise

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Tue Mar 10, 2020 5:54 pm

Caliburn must me much smoother. When I start cantering Annabelle it thinks I'm running. :D
Keep calm and canter on.

Anne
Herd Member

Postby Anne » Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:57 am

I'm trying to keep motivation for fitness while I'm away at work, so I appreciate you starting this thread! I work 12 hr shifts on a vessel offshore, so I'm generally exhausted at the end of a day, but happily at the moment my shift ends just around sunset and the weather's been lovely so I am trying to commit to 30 to 45 mins walking every evening. I also try to do a little bit of core-exercise stuff on a mat in my cabin in the morning - planks front/side and the short Foundation routine ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOgxWp0WyiI ), and a few push-ups on a rail through the day. I do computer work, and it can be quite intense, so I try to remember to get up and just move/stretch a bit periodically.

Really really want to keep it up so I am in shape when I get home, as I have a new horse to ride, which I'm super excited about!

I did put a step counter app on my phone, but don't use any other fitness tracking device.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:46 am

StraightForward wrote:Caliburn must me much smoother. When I start cantering Annabelle it thinks I'm running. :D

I think the elliptical is very up and down and forward Like a combination of running and stairs.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:39 pm

Anne, we need details on the new horse! Keeping fit while out at sea is definitely a unique challenge.

I have been pushing myself to use the 35# kettlebell for a larger proportion of my workouts the past few weeks. I can now do 100 1-handed swings with it, and 10 snatches and side pulls, then I switch to my old faithful 12kg bell for Turkish get-ups, or do the TGUs with the heavier bell and most of the others with the lighter bell. Ran 2 miles without a walk break last weekend, for the first time in a long time. Pace still a little over 10 minutes, but getting faster each week.

Core strength was feeling quite good for an energetic canter session with Annabelle this morning. The real tell will be how well I cope when I get back to dressage lessons and have an instructor kicking my butt.
Keep calm and canter on.

goldhorse
Herd Member

Postby goldhorse » Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:43 am

Turkish get-ups. Ugghhhhh
Impressive workout. I'm still trying to adjust to sheltering in place with only 3 lb and 8 lb weights.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:34 am

It's all relative; I was feeling pretty good until we went to Cirque de Soleil last month. Holy flexibility and core strength :shock:
Keep calm and canter on.

Anne
Herd Member

Postby Anne » Sun Mar 22, 2020 1:12 am

Well, he's not home yet, but here is a sneak preview (I was trying him out):
(note to self, don't wear baggy jacket for photos!!). He's an OTTB, 6 yrs, ~16hh, just seems like a sweety, easy going, big engine, hasn't done much, but been out to a few competitions, and jumped a little bit. Some of you may remember I had (still have, in fact) a youngster with a bucking issue, and it got to the point where I was losing confidence and riding was not so fun any more. I enrolled in the Ritter WWH course, so am itching to get into it with this guy (albeit way behind, I'll just work through the material as I can).

In the meantime, I've been good at doing my ~1/2 hr walk every evening, and some floor stuff as well...

trot-left2.jpg
trot-left2.jpg (33.6 KiB) Viewed 19325 times

canter-right2.jpg
canter-right2.jpg (35.64 KiB) Viewed 19325 times

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Sun Mar 22, 2020 2:02 am

Awesome, I am in the Ritter course and very behind as well. Maybe we can team up when we're both more able to work through the material.
Keep calm and canter on.

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Sun Mar 22, 2020 2:42 am

YAY Anne!! Glad you found a sane ride :)

After all fall and winter of being a couch potato, I'm supposed to start physical therapy next week. Not happening right now. Instead, I'm going to start some of the lighter exercises I did at the beginning of my last round of hip PT, plus riding hubby's road bike (we're the same height), and light use of my rowing machine. I'm not supposed to do squats yet, so I can't fully close that hip angle on the rowing machine, but the resistance will feel great.

Fingers crossed that some day I'll be running again.

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:21 pm

Anne, I love your horse. I need to lose 40 pounds, and now with the gym and the barn closed, have to make my own training schedule. I work out with my gym trainer once a week, and 2 other days do our routine on my own. I'm trying to increase my cardio but am currently experiencing knee pain, so am limited to walking briskly. I'm trying for 2 miles a day.

goldhorse, Turkish getups are really NOT FUN!

goldhorse
Herd Member

Postby goldhorse » Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:06 pm

PaulaO wrote:Anne, I love your horse. I need to lose 40 pounds, and now with the gym and the barn closed, have to make my own training schedule. I work out with my gym trainer once a week, and 2 other days do our routine on my own. I'm trying to increase my cardio but am currently experiencing knee pain, so am limited to walking briskly. I'm trying for 2 miles a day.

goldhorse, Turkish getups are really NOT FUN!

I got excused from Turkish getups because they put a weird torque on my knee replacement which makes my knee grumpy. Maybe I'm not doing them right but that's my alibi :lol:

Hayburner

Postby Hayburner » Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:33 pm

Now that I am finally retiring I am hoping to start to exercise. I did buy a stationary bike, I have a treadmill and live in a sidewalk community, so the means are in place.

I have never liked exercise, but I'm really going to give it a shot now.

Keep us posted on how the Ritter program helps you, I get emails from them about their programs but haven't signed up for anything yet.

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:31 am

I START PT ON MONDAY!!! Video conference PT :) That took some convincing. But, it was either allow me to do the remote PT or I'll go it on my own ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

We're two asthmatics. Other than the barn we're not venturing out, anywhere.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:00 am

Well, no gym for a while. I'm glad I didn't sell of my free weights. With those, the kettlebells and running outside, I can still keep up with 90% of my usual, it will just take more discipline to get it done at home.
Keep calm and canter on.

Anne
Herd Member

Postby Anne » Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:16 am

Hey everyone, thanks for positive comments on the new boy (he does have a name, but I will probably change it, so not sharing yet).... for me, I now have to find a way to keep my fitness during 2 weeks quarantine in a hotel, at the moment, we are not allowed out of the building. Damn! I'm hoping there are stairs to get some cardio and I can still do some floor exercises....

Yeah SF I hear you on the discipline, though I'm hoping the utter boredom of being locked in a hotel will help motivate me, unless I succumb to forums/youtube and similar internet temptations.

I flew into NZ this morning, missing the deadline to get a domestic flight home by a mere 8 hrs! Still, I'm thankful to be in-country, if not actually at home. Good luck everyone with your fitness endeavours, let's continue to motivate each other :-)

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Sun Apr 05, 2020 6:46 pm

Argh, tweaked my right shoulder somehow about a week ago, so I'm avoiding the kettlebells for now. I need to work out some lower body and core exercises I can do at home while I give the shoulder a rest. In the meantime, I'm just not making the progress on want on my running, so I think I'll focus on that more for April. Since I'm teleworking I should be able to do 5k twice a week on my lunch break, and then do my "long" run on the weekend.
Keep calm and canter on.

khall

Postby khall » Tue Apr 07, 2020 1:20 pm

For those of you who run do you find it tightens the hips? I am not a runner and definitely not now after messing my knee up last month. What I have been doing since last August is Pilates. Really good for strengthening the core and building flexibility. We were doing reformer classes twice a week, but now with the coronavirus and Kemp finally shutting Georgia down we are doing Zoom classes. I am looking at a chair to buy but boy they are pricey, so right now doing mat classes. I also walk usually 15,000 steps or so a day. Still wearing a knee brace, MRI was scheduled for this month after postponing it last month, don't know when at this point I will get this knee straightened out. It's not 100% and I feel it needs scoping to clean it out.

Nice Anne! I like a good TB!

SF hope the shoulder heals soon.

My pup has an on again off again lameness when she over do's her play (APBT) so she is on R&R for a couple of weeks and may have to extend it. Not really wanting to do diagnostics right now though vet work is considered essential. Probably could do it pretty easy since my small animal vet is mobile as well but not sure if they are still working.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Tue Apr 07, 2020 1:48 pm

khall, when I was training for half marathons, running 20+ miles a week, I think my hips got a little tight. Now, running less than 10 miles a week, they seem fine, and I am not avid about stretching or yoga or anything.

Pilates has always looked interesting, but I've never gotten started with it. A local horse acquaintance got certified and has a studio, but as far as I know she hasn't been specializing in rider fitness. Maybe someday I'll ask.
Keep calm and canter on.

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Tue Apr 07, 2020 1:51 pm

khall wrote:For those of you who run do you find it tightens the hips?

It can tighten the hip flexors and hamstring. But, 1) I normally run 30-50 miles/week, 2) didn't always have great running form (which helps with NOT tightening), and 3) I have a bunch of stretches from my PT to counter the tightness.

Anne
Herd Member

Postby Anne » Wed Apr 08, 2020 5:33 am

SF - hope the shoulder comes good soon.

Khall - I do a couple of pilates things and find them good, but I should do more! 15k steps a day is good going. Good luck with your lame pup...

I was super happy to be sent home at the end of last week, though I'm still in isolation for another couple of days. So my exercise level is pretty good now, mainly walking, riding, and gardening. I'm still trying to do 'extra' in the way of planks, yoga and pilates, but actually, not really doing that...

New horse is still not home, and not likely to arrive for at least 3 or 4 weeks - ARRGGHH!

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Sat Apr 25, 2020 3:50 am

So remote PT is awesome! Likely helps that I'm a frequent flyer for PT, this injury, AND all the exercises. But, seriously, my PT is kicking my ass. And the results are kicking Maia's ass!

The ortho says I can start running in ~3 weeks. Honestly not sure I'm there, but it's close. I'm being more conservative in my projections and hopes this time around ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Sue B

Postby Sue B » Wed May 06, 2020 10:43 pm

On a bet with my son, I started walking every day almost a year ago. Every morning through almost all weather conditions and health things I have walked 2-3 miles at 3-3.5mph every morning up and down and all around. 8-) The dogs are very fit and trim now, I am pretty fit now but not trim. maybe if I could run I would lose some weight, but I can't so oh well. I also do planks and can now do a solid plank for 1-1.5 minutes, rails push-ups and some taekwando kicks/punches/blocks and air sits. The only thing I still can't do is crunches/sit-ups do to my back injury. If I could get myself to quit eating all the yummy junk food the boys have laying around the house, I might finally lose the weight I want, but, again, I am at least semi-fit. I gauge that by how far I can do a posting trot +/- hand gallop when riding Rudy down the roads--so far I can easily do 2 miles without tiring or being sore later.

So my main fitness program is getting up early, throwing on sweats and grumbling for the first 5 minutes as I tromp down the road. :lol:

ETA: I've been considering getting a watch to pair with my new Samsung phone but haven't decided if it's worth it or not.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Sat Jun 20, 2020 7:11 pm

I need to rethink my routine since the stay-at-home life looks like it's going to continue for a long time. I haven't touched a weight since March. Some weeks I run two days, and that's about it other than gardening and horse stuff. I can feel the lack of strength training in my core. On the up side, I don't seem to snack as much working at home, so I haven't gained any weight. I've actually lost about 2#, but that is probably muscle from the lack of weight training. The shoulder still has a tiny twinge in it, but I think kettlebells would be OK, and I can definitely find time for 20 minutes of that 2x a week.
Keep calm and canter on.

Sue B

Postby Sue B » Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:57 pm

So my son just completed Navy Summer Seminar (NSS) and has a link to an excellent work-out site run by a SEAL. I'll get it from him and link here but it has great core stuff you can do at home. He did one of the workout routines this morning, loved it despite being sore now. Also, a lot of upper body strengthening in general.

My progress...I'm doing 3-3.5 miles every morning, 7 days a week. I allow myself one day off a month if the weather is super horrid or I just can't gin up the energy to go (usually massive migraine related). I have lost only 5 pounds BUT not only can I feel my core muscles again, they are starting to be ever so slightly visible. Oh, and my pants are less snug, so progress of sorts. When I walk, I generally try very hard to keep my core strong--shoulders up and back, chest out, etc. I recently added some arm things to work on building upper arm and shoulder strength which has helped decrease the grumpiness of my right shoulder (I dislocated it about 8 years ago or so walking out my front door on the New Year :lol: )

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Fri Jul 10, 2020 1:00 am

It's becoming pretty clear that it will be a long time until going to the gym is a good idea again, so I am sucking it up and starting to workout at home.
I can do most of the gym routine I had worked out, minus the rowing machine. Today I popped in one of my kettlebell DVDs and did level 3 (out of 4) with a 20# bell. Could feel the twinge in my shoulder, but the 20# bell seems light enough that I think it will help, and not exacerbate anything (I was working with 26# and working towards more exercises with a 35# pre shutdown).

Yesterday I alllmost broke the 30 minute mark for a 3-mile run. I think it was about 30:16. Plus, I get really good ideas when I'm running, so I feel like stepping away from my desk for a bit. And it appears that I've lost a tiny bit more weight, so 10# down since spring 2019, and 5# to go.
Keep calm and canter on.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:57 pm

So i went to my doctor ( four months later with every kind of covid19 screening ) for my regular check up and the nurse said, wow you look toned, to which i smiled and was very pleased, then the doctor walked in and said, you look so fit and toned what are you doing. I said, well, the gym closed so I decided to let my stall cleaner go and do the stalls myself. lol

Sue B

Postby Sue B » Thu Jul 16, 2020 3:56 pm

My bad, I've been meaning to comment on how great you are looking chisamba. It is very apparent in your photos that you have been working out. You and SF make me feel like a lazy bum. :mrgreen:

Anne
Herd Member

Postby Anne » Thu Jul 23, 2020 5:36 am

Yay for everyone's progress here. I've been walking lots, but have been slack on any 'mat' type exercise (planks, yoga etc). However, today I signed up for 10 weeks of pilates, and did the first class. I think it will help with my motivation to actually go to a class. It is midwinter here (and currently snowing outside!), so have not been riding much. New horse (Connor) arrived about 6 weeks ago, and is settling in very nicely. I haven't been brave enough to join the goals thread on Training forum... next round maybe.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Mon Aug 31, 2020 3:00 pm

Ha, I did kettlebells like 2x since I posted. I've been running 2-3x a week and riding. Trying to get rides on Annabelle in the mornings due to heat, and then going back to ride Tesla after dinner when the barn is quiet kind of took it out of me, along with starting a new job (from home).

Weather is cooling now though, and Tesla should be able to start working with other riders in the ring soon enough, so things should get easier schedule-wise.

I'm going to shoot for running 2x a week, and kettlebells 2x a week through the end of the year.
Keep calm and canter on.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Sun Sep 27, 2020 5:42 pm

I've been running 3x a week and not picking up my kettlebells, unless you count occasionally grabbing my smallest one and doing small movements while I'm on conference calls. A wicked knot developed behind my shoulderblade (the shoulder that is not already wonky) after last weekend's clinic, so it will be a while, I think.

OTOH, it was a perfect fall morning with clean air, and I ran 4 miles with no walk breaks, averaging 9:47 pace, so all those 11:00/mile slogs in the summer are paying off.
Keep calm and canter on.

Sue B

Postby Sue B » Mon Nov 09, 2020 6:39 pm

While riding has been hit-and-miss at times, I have continued with walking (sometimes briefly jogging) at an average pace of 3.5mph, for 2-3 miles. Pleased to say my weight has now been consistently below 130 for a full month now!

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Sat Dec 05, 2020 3:35 pm

Nice consistency Sue. My horses would love it if I was anywhere near 130!

Somehow my running slowed way down again, despite being pretty consistent 2-3x a week. My shoulder is finally feeling pretty good, so I'm cautiously re-introducing kettlebells. Good timing to have an alternative since it's bound to get too icy to run outdoors in the near future, and there's no way I'm going to my gym, though I'm happily continuing to pay their modest dues to help keep them open. I've been planning to start playing with long-lining Annabelle, which should be a pretty good alternate workout too, but I'm having too much fun riding her right now. Maybe when Tesla turns the corner to being more fun to ride, poor A will get a break!
Keep calm and canter on.

Return to “Rider health and fitness”