Health and Fitness 2023

A forum dedicated to getting the rider healthy and fit and ready to ride!!
StraightForward
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Health and Fitness 2023

Postby StraightForward » Sat Jan 07, 2023 7:37 pm

Here we are one week in to the new year without a new fitness thread yet.

I'm pretty focused on fitness this year because I've got to be able to sit Tesla's gaits more consistently as she starts developing into a 2nd level horse.

In 2022 I completed DRT1 and nearly all of DRT2. I didn't sign up for DRT3 yet, so I'm working out, but taking my time to finish the final DRT2 workouts. I think they've been well worth the investment of time and money, and have made me a much better rider over the last twelve months (along with having two horses in consistent work). I saw a mention of the Dressurfit program on ToB, and that looks intriguing as well It is with Jessica von Bredow-Werndl and her trainer and brother. It is $180 Euro for six months, and there is also a monthly membership option that includes access to dressage "masterclass" content, so I might try that first.

This year I'm once again trying to get back in the groove of running, and am about to head out for my third run of the year. Last year I usually just ran 3 miles on the weekend, and the rest of my cardio has been elliptical machine since starting back at the gym this spring. My goal is 500 miles for the year, so about 10 miles/week.

Last winter I experimented with making my own sourdough with specialized lower gluten grains, but it turns out carbs are carbs and the 8# I gained stuck with me all year. I've already cut out most sugar and cut back on carbs and alcohol since Christmas and am down a few pounds as a result. Would love to lose 8-10# by summer, and that will make the running easier too. The challenge is just balancing it all when some days it seems like the choice is between riding and working out.
Keep calm and canter on.

Domica
Greenie

Re: Health and Fitness 2023

Postby Domica » Sun Jan 08, 2023 5:52 pm

I am contemplating the DRT programme, I need to be a lot fitter for a new horse as well as losing 20lb to get my BMI into a acceptable levels.
Diet is a problem, I’m having difficulty with low carbing as I find it really badly affects my mood (ramps up depression), although cutting out sugar in general is easy enough, red wine is probably my biggest downfall ☹️.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Sun Jan 08, 2023 7:35 pm

Definitely give DRT a shot! I've heard that Dressurfit is pretty intense, so it might not be the best thing to jump right into. I know for me, if I'm paying for something, it motivates me to actually do it.

I actually think I'm going to sign up for DRT3. People are raving about it and it is supposed to integrate everything from 1 and 2, and also start working on reflexes/reaction time. Sign up is open until it starts on the 16th (which coincidentally is enough time for me to finish the last few DRT2 workouts).
Keep calm and canter on.

khall

Postby khall » Mon Jan 09, 2023 1:54 pm

Maybe we should have a DRT support group? I’m looking at it as well knowing that SF has really enjoyed the program.

I am a Pilates regular student but need more! Sigh need to revamp my eating habits after the holidays.

SF is the program good for endurance? I think that is more of what I need right now. Running nor biking is in my abilities because of mom. Pilates is very good for core and flexibility but definitely something to continue to work on. I don’t have 8 to ride like chisamba. That’s a huge workout in itself

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Mon Jan 09, 2023 4:30 pm

khall wrote:SF is the program good for endurance? I think that is more of what I need right now. Running nor biking is in my abilities because of mom. Pilates is very good for core and flexibility but definitely something to continue to work on. I don’t have 8 to ride like chisamba. That’s a huge workout in itself

I'd say it's good for muscular endurance, but not so much the aerobic/cardio. She says to go for a five minute run after some of the workouts in DRT2. Maybe you could just add in some short running back and forth? I usually do 20 minutes on the elliptical before the DRT. Kettlebell swings and jumping rope are other ways to get some aerobics in without having to go too far or buy a big piece of equipment. OTOH, it seems to me that upping the core strength means I get less winded riding.
Keep calm and canter on.

blob

Postby blob » Mon Jan 09, 2023 5:10 pm

I did DRT 1 and started but never completed DRT 2. I found. that it wasn't super effective for me but I can totally understand why it would work well for others.

Like Khall, what I need right now is endurance/cardio work, which is also my least favorite kind of working out. I've been trying to ride the exercise bike any day that I don't make it out the barn/dont' ride. But it's hard to motivate myself.

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Mon Jan 09, 2023 10:12 pm

Mountain climbers and burpees are fabulous aerobic workouts. I combine those with my weightlifting days. Other days it's running outdoors or the rowing machine.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Tue Jan 10, 2023 12:03 am

I don't do a fitness program but I am sticking with my physiotherapist for as long as I can. I start on the bicycle to warm up all the joints and have leg press, side planks, kettlebell squats and the best thing is that he consistently corrects my position to strengthen the muscles and stabilize the joints that need help.

That along with increasing my daily riding list is all I have time for, BUT. I am refocused on logging everything I eat, and daily weigh in. It helps because I have begun to lose my winter weight gain.

blob

Postby blob » Wed Jan 11, 2023 5:45 pm

I'm looking into getting one of those treadmill desks/walking desk set ups. I want to try to see if I can find someone who has one so I can test it out. Mostly I want to see whether it's obvious I'm moving if I'm in a zoom meeeting. If I can get away with doing it during internal/less formal meetings without making anyone dizzy and while working then I think it would be a great way just to keep my body moving. I'm really not good at motivating myself for high intensity things even if it's just for a short period, but hours of walking seems more up my speed, especially when I know I have to be staring at my computer all day.

Has anyone tried one of these?

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Wed Jan 11, 2023 6:09 pm

DH fashioned our old treadmill into a a desk by cantilevering a board under the control unit, and putting his laptop there. He only used that set up for email or when working with his direct reports, never the client. On the new treadmill, he puts his laptop to the side on a table, and connects via HDMI to the small TV we've attached, and watched training videos or tunes into all hands meetings (no video or participation required beyond being online).

I've got a friend who has been using an actual treadmill desk for years — and love it — but we don't work together anymore so I don't know how it works in real life.

I'm a standing desk person, and have and apple watch that reminds me to move. So ever 50 minutes I take a short 5-10 minute walk. It's not much, but I'm not glued to my desk ... just my phone since I'm often still answering email :P

blob

Postby blob » Wed Jan 11, 2023 6:18 pm

That's useful info, Heddy!

I would definitely not plan on using it for big client meetings. But there are very few zoom calls I make (internal or external) where I don't have to actively speak. So I need to make sure it won't make me look crazy.

I did some research online and it seems like I can get some inexpensive manual walking pads that are designed to go under desks and then could buy a cheap standing desk to put over it. Or I could make a bigger investment for the official full kit n kaboodle.

I also have a fitbit that reminds me to move, but often I am in back to back meetings for several hour stretches and taking a quick walk isn't so easy

Fzybtfrm
Greenie

Postby Fzybtfrm » Sat Jan 14, 2023 3:04 pm

The winter makes me crazy watching my horses sit and lose fitness because of the weather . I know the break can be good for them, but it isn't for me. It gives me SUTRD (seasonal unable to ride disorder, should definitely be in the next DSM) making me grouchy and restless AND depressed. So I try desperately to maintain my own fitness ( since I have all that extra time on my hands). I used to be a jogger but I'm too old to be pounding my joints like that, plus the weather, blah, blah, blah. So a few years ago I took up rebounding, which is basically doing exercises on a mini trampoline. Doesn't sound that tough but it's a sweat fest. Super aerobic and you will use all your muscles, and it's also great for improving your balance, too. I started with a rebounder with a handle on it, so I wouldn't kill myself, and now three years later I'm pretty safe without it. I try to do at least 30 minutes 4-5 times a week, and am happy with 3-4 days a week in the summer when I am riding regularly. There are tons of videos on youtube you can follow, from beginner to advanced. No gym fees, no travel, no excuses. Most of the routines on You Tube are accompanied by music so it helps to get you motivated and keep the beat. And MUCH easier on the joints!

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Sat Jan 14, 2023 6:27 pm

Fzbyt, that looks really interesting. I've always been terrified of real trampolines--absolutely hated it when they forced us on to the big trampoline in gym class at school, but I could see how this could be a real help with riding fitness and balance. And its cheap and I could set it up in my basement...

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Sun Jan 15, 2023 7:58 pm

OK, I ordered a rebounder and warned my husband he has to clear all his hoard out of one of the basement rooms by next weekend so I can get it set up. I also signed up for "sofa yoga" online and have done my first session.

As I have never in my life worked out in a gym more than to use an exercise bike or walk the track, and I haven't done an arerobics class for something like 40 years, this is a major life change for me!

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Sun Jan 15, 2023 11:22 pm

blob wrote:I'm looking into getting one of those treadmill desks/walking desk set ups. I want to try to see if I can find someone who has one so I can test it out. Mostly I want to see whether it's obvious I'm moving if I'm in a zoom meeeting. If I can get away with doing it during internal/less formal meetings without making anyone dizzy and while working then I think it would be a great way just to keep my body moving. I'm really not good at motivating myself for high intensity things even if it's just for a short period, but hours of walking seems more up my speed, especially when I know I have to be staring at my computer all day.

Has anyone tried one of these?

Ilia has one. He was only noticed once and he got a bit too enthusiastic during a zoom. There had been no backlash. Someone's prone ask him how many revs he did at the end of a call

blob

Postby blob » Mon Jan 16, 2023 1:54 am

That's good to hear, Chisamba!

I think I have essentially decided to get one, just need to find the one/configuration I want to get. My work culture is fairly relaxed so I think as long as I'm not making anyone motion sick or doing it during important client meetings, it will be ok if they know I am walking.

I'm debating between one with a slight incline and a flat one. The incline will probably be better for my fitness and as someone who likes to hike, I keep thinking of the added hiking fitness boost. But I worry I might use it less than I would a flat pad, which will be easier.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Sat Jan 21, 2023 2:01 am

My rebounder showed up today.

It's got the potential to be quite a workout! I am going to have to be VERY protective of my lower back and build up slowly, I can tell, but I think it could be quite good for aerobic and core fitness.

We shall see!

demi

Postby demi » Sat Jan 21, 2023 10:33 am

I’d never heard of rebounders till I saw it here. I really like the idea.

fzybtfarm, what width do you like? I know I’ll need the handrail and I’m guessing a wider width will be easier than narrow.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Tue Jan 24, 2023 5:08 pm

I'm taking this very carefully so I dont cripple myself. Overdid the yoga stuff to start with and caused myself some significant lower back pain. So I took a little time off and started again last night with a very selective 10 minutes or so. No downward dog type things! I can walk today so I think thats the way to go for the week and build it up slowly.

I like the rebounder. I'm starting with a short period (about 8 minutes) twice a day. Enough to get my heart rate up some but not anger my lower back too much. I notice the lymph drainage effect around my eyes in the mornings, too, which is nice.

Its a bit pathetic, but I really do need to protect that SI joint, so, slowly it is.

And I've started on the "lose 10lbs" journey. The first 2lb are gone, but they were the easiest ones.

I went and got a decent haircut and color yesterday and bought some new clothes. I've been letting myself go a bit. Can't be doing that.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Sun Jan 29, 2023 11:39 pm

I so appreciate this thread! Although I am earnest about workouts, I always need to improve them and work on strength. More strength training is important for me (beyond core work) because I have issues with my limbs (fun autoimmune disease).

M., I find guided bike work outs (pseudo peloton) excellent for cardio and intervals. I also do similar by walking up and down my Tennessee hills.

For work, I use my standing desk and also schedule tons of walking meetings---both in person and over the phone/zoom. Everyone is appreciate of the encouragement to move! Also, as you could imagine, people get very real talking when walking and navigating terrain. It is so helpful!

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Wed Feb 08, 2023 4:46 pm

Up to 20 minutes a day on the rebounder.

Down 5lb

Not finding the online yoga very useful. But I guess I paid for it so I'll keep at it a few times a week. The cats enjoy it. (You've heard of goat yoga, right? Imagine that with cats...)

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Fri Feb 10, 2023 5:59 am

Congrats moutaineer, I'm having so much trouble sticking to my healthy eating goals. Otoh I am getting a lot more exercise. I pretend my lack of weight loss is fat turning to muscle. Lol

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Fri Feb 10, 2023 2:33 pm

Same Chisamba - my weight has stayed pretty static, but I feel like my thigh muscles are more solid. I've run 44 miles so far this year - it is getting slightly easier. Today I'll finish up DRT3 Phase 1 (week 4), which is going pretty well. Apparently my upper back is my weak area.
Keep calm and canter on.

blob

Postby blob » Sat Feb 11, 2023 7:24 pm

I bit the bullet and bought a treadmill pad/walking pad to go under a standing desk (mine is really more of a lap top stand than a proper desk). I've had it for about 2 weeks now and am finding it useful/nice to use. It's definitely obvious that I'm walking, so I'm only using it for internal meetings, but everyone at my work seems to find it fun/funny.

I've had a couple days where I've gotten in 6-7 miles, but most days it's closer to 4. I'm going into the office once a week, so that day I don't get the walking in. But 4 days a week with 4 miles during meetings is definitely better than what I was doing before. I know it's just walking, but I do hope it translates into some weight-loss/fitness. I'm sure it's better for overall health to get some movement.

One small annoyance is that my fitbit doesn't really register my treadmill work properly. I can manually select 'treadmill' from my exercise options, but if I have my hands up and am typing, the step count and distance my fit bit come in MUCH lower than what my treadmill is registering.

Ponichiwa
500 post plus club

Postby Ponichiwa » Tue Feb 28, 2023 2:33 am

blob wrote:I bit the bullet and bought a treadmill pad/walking pad to go under a standing desk (mine is really more of a lap top stand than a proper desk). I've had it for about 2 weeks now and am finding it useful/nice to use. It's definitely obvious that I'm walking, so I'm only using it for internal meetings, but everyone at my work seems to find it fun/funny.

I've had a couple days where I've gotten in 6-7 miles, but most days it's closer to 4. I'm going into the office once a week, so that day I don't get the walking in. But 4 days a week with 4 miles during meetings is definitely better than what I was doing before. I know it's just walking, but I do hope it translates into some weight-loss/fitness. I'm sure it's better for overall health to get some movement.

One small annoyance is that my fitbit doesn't really register my treadmill work properly. I can manually select 'treadmill' from my exercise options, but if I have my hands up and am typing, the step count and distance my fit bit come in MUCH lower than what my treadmill is registering.

Which walking pad did you get, and do you like it? I've been waffling about getting a walking pad for more than a year now and I'm wondering if now is the time to bite the bullet. I love my standing desk but standing alone isn't enough.

I also tuck my fitbit into a pocket if I'm doing low-arm-movement exercise so I don't feel "cheated" out of steps. I know, I know, it's really about the steps and not about having them counted... but if they're not counted are they even steps?

Fzybtfrm
Greenie

Postby Fzybtfrm » Thu Mar 02, 2023 2:46 pm

Sorry, haven't been on for a while. We are trying to buy a business and between that and working and dealing with mud, snow and trying to figure out which blanket to leave on while I'm gone for 12 hours while I'm at work. I bought an inexpensive and wide one to start $80 and probably close to 36-40" wide. After about a year, I noticed I couldn't keep up because the mat wasn't stiff enough, I was always behind the pace. So I bought a more expensive one rebounder ( Leaps and Rebounds brand) and it's been great. It is about 39" all the way across with a 30" jumping surface. Suggestion: do NOT buy one with metal springs- incredibly noisy! After about 4-6 months with the handle bar I was confident enough to take it off. I have occasionally lost my balance and stepped off the tramp, but never taken a REAL fall. And I actually sold my first one to a co-worker who wanted to try re-bounding for $50. And the connections between the mat and the framework are quite sturdy, I have had one fray in two years, but it came with a few extras. Recommended you tube rebounding videos : San Fran Fitness and once you build up some endurance, Naomi Joy Fitness. She is my fav now and has literally dozens of work-out videos, from 10 minutes to 50 minutes. And when she says it's going to be a sweatfest- she MEANS it! I have ridden maybe 5 times since November and I really look forward to just forgetting about everything and pushing myself as hard as I can for 30-40 minutes, knowing when better weather comes I won't be starting over again physically! My legs are stronger than they have ever been, and I rarely get sore anymore, other than the usual aches and pains of a 66 year old !

blob

Postby blob » Thu Mar 02, 2023 5:27 pm

Ponichiwa wrote:
Which walking pad did you get, and do you like it? I've been waffling about getting a walking pad for more than a year now and I'm wondering if now is the time to bite the bullet. I love my standing desk but standing alone isn't enough.

I also tuck my fitbit into a pocket if I'm doing low-arm-movement exercise so I don't feel "cheated" out of steps. I know, I know, it's really about the steps and not about having them counted... but if they're not counted are they even steps?

It's silly, but I feel the same way. I need the validation of my fit bit tracking those steps! That was a good tip on putting it in the pocket when I'm on the treadmill--I will try that!

This is the walking pad I ended up getting:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08YY ... UTF8&psc=1

I went with this one because it was the most compact and therefore ideal for my space. BUT if you are tall you might want a longer pad to accomodate a longer stride. I haven't had any issues with it feeling too short, but I am also a fairly short person. I do really like that it has an incline because it means I can get more of a workout at a slower pace, which is better for working. I actually wish it had a higher incline now that I'm used to it and I'm debating finding a safe way to prop it up. I got the kind without handle bars (the cheaper version). I also liked that there was no assembly on this one. It comes straight out of the box working and all you have to do it attach the power cord. but there are cheaper models out there with good reviews!

Return to “Rider health and fitness”