riding fitness programs?

A forum dedicated to getting the rider healthy and fit and ready to ride!!
blob
Bringing Life to the DDBB

riding fitness programs?

Postby blob » Wed Jan 17, 2024 8:13 pm

I'm wondering if anyone has suggestions of virtual programs that might help me build up some strength and fitness and/or out of the saddle.

I tried the DRT program a couple years back and it wasn't a great fit for me. So, looking for some alternative non-mounted programs. Or, alternatively I'd also be interested to hear if people think things like ride IQ, etc have lessons/options that improve rider strength and position?

StraightForward

Re: riding fitness programs?

Postby StraightForward » Thu Jan 25, 2024 2:51 am

There isn't a ton of fitness stuff in Ride iQ. I've heard that Dressurfit is good. I think you can do a one month subscription, so you can try it out without too much commitment.
Keep calm and canter on.

gypsy still flies
Greenie

Postby gypsy still flies » Thu Jan 25, 2024 3:03 am

I'm doing Rider Pilates at the moment and the strength courses that Jess developed to accompany the Pilates sessions. I'm really enjoying the courses and my results. It's been eye opening how much the Pilates courses have allowed me to feel my imbalances in the saddle. Look at riderpilatesclub.com. She offers a free 5 day challenge several times per year. That's how I got into it.

I did all 5 DRT programs, Thrive and HPF on Nicola's website. I loved them but back issues have me going in another direction for fitness at the moment.

blob

Postby blob » Thu Jan 25, 2024 11:13 am

gypsy still flies wrote:I'm doing Rider Pilates at the moment and the strength courses that Jess developed to accompany the Pilates sessions. I'm really enjoying the courses and my results. It's been eye opening how much the Pilates courses have allowed me to feel my imbalances in the saddle. Look at riderpilatesclub.com. She offers a free 5 day challenge several times per year. That's how I got into it.

Is Rider Pilates an online thing you can sign up for?

SF, I will look into dressurfit!

gypsy still flies
Greenie

Postby gypsy still flies » Thu Jan 25, 2024 1:47 pm

Yes, go here https://www.riderpilatesclub.com/ and scroll down to the 5 day challenge and enter your name and email and sign up (she's probably extending it a bit) and then you'll be able to get her 3 for 2 course block or just buy 1 course to see how you like it.

Silverado
Herd Member

Postby Silverado » Wed Apr 17, 2024 2:15 am

Has anyone tried Dressage Rider Training, a friend of mine is raving about the online class

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:56 am

Best rider fitness program? A perfectionist trainer working on your position. Joke no joke..

I actually ride to get fit. And exercise for suppleness and strength. I despise pirates. I went to a live pilates class and I had to do physiotherapy for 6 weeks to recover from thr back injuries ir caused. Now pirates livers will yell you it's safe and dies notcause injuries, but my orthopedic and physiotherapist say they have seenreally bad injuries from pirates. Once bitten twice shy.

I like simple yoga for stretching and I like the strengthening and stretching exercises given to me by my physiotherapist. For warmup I usually cycle on a stationary bike with a program video of some trail I countries I've not seen.
I also simply kneel on a ball for 2 minutes for balance and core strength.

Boring for those of you who are young, fit and limber lol

texsuze
500 post plus club

Postby texsuze » Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:54 pm

Chisamba your post is cracking me up, what with those pirates and pirates livers! OK-- auto fill-- but this is pretty funny reading!

I will say I also tried pilates and was nothing but sore and frustrated. My hips didn't like any of it, so I stick with a personal training program and try to walk our ranch road when possible. No pirates seen there.....

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Sun Apr 21, 2024 4:23 am

I've never been to a pilates studio, but these posts reminded me of this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJZsVpXZmKw
Keep calm and canter on.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Sun Apr 21, 2024 5:05 am

Aaaargh!

I enjoy my "pilates for seniors" workouts. They've made me much more limber and balanced. But, I've made sure to pace myself pretty carefully and not hurt myself.

khall

Postby khall » Sun Apr 21, 2024 12:09 pm

Ahoy fellow pirates maties! I do Pilates at a studio classical Pilates :). Yes it can be dangerous. I’ve been bucked off the reformer a few times thankfully I fall well. 15,000-20,000 steps a day heavy farm chores is just not enough and unlike chisamba I now only have one riding horse (though Gaila will be put back to work) so I needed something to help strengthen me. Pilates has also helped my knees tremendously. I’m not young but plan on continuing with pilates for as long as I can. Good for balance strength and to keep my flexibility. I do love yoga too! I can see the balance ball being very helpful as well.

blob

Postby blob » Mon Apr 22, 2024 1:18 pm

Chisamba--I agree riding would be ideal and i too ride to get fit. My challenge is that I am not able to get saddle time as much as I would like these days. So I want to try to supplement. When I was in FL and in grad school, i was riding 3-4 horses 6 days a week nad that's definitely the best shape i've been in.

Tanga
500 post plus club

Postby Tanga » Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:26 pm

If anyone wants to join my class, you can. I am SO lucky. Right before shutdown, I gave my email to the best instructor at 24 hour fitness. She is a chiropractor and knows the body well, but also a fitness junky. There is a whole group of us who have been doing Zoom classes for over 4 years. Five days a week, 7 classes ( M, T, TH, F at 10 pst, w at 11, T and Th also at 9) for $25 a month. If I let her know you want to audit, you can try free for two weeks. T/Th tend to be straight pilates. The rest are a little of everything, but always include a variety of stretches, pilates/yoga, cardio, strength, and never, ever quite the same. Every time I get something, she changes it a bit so it's newer. People range from 40's to 80's in class and she watches you and has alternatives for every problem you have (I can't do things that hurt my knees.) I credit her class to a vast improvement in getting more even, flexible and pretty much not losing my fitness as I age.

Between people who have moved, family, friends, etc. who have joined, there are people all over the country who do them, and when one guy vacations, all over the world. Usually 5 to 10 people in a class most days.

Message me if you want to try. She's on vacation this week so a few less classes, but she still does them, and sets us up for videos. (I use it as time to take a break some. And I finally got Covid for the first time last week, so rested.)

Return to “Rider health and fitness”