December to Remember

A forum dedicated to getting the rider healthy and fit and ready to ride!!
Tuddy
Herd Member
Posts: 499
Joined: Sun Oct 11, 2015 1:19 pm
Location: Zehner, SK Canada

December to Remember

Postby Tuddy » Tue Dec 01, 2015 3:09 pm

It is December 1, 2015...

I am not waiting for January 1, 2016, to start those New Year's Resolutions. It isn't that I want to lose weight, but I wouldn't mind rearranging it. Starting today, I hit the gym 5 days a week. Starting today, I start using myfitnesspal account to keep me accountable for what I put in my mouth.

Starting today, I become self motivated.

This is not a 30 day challenge, this isn't about how much weight I need to lose per week, this isn't about feeling guilty about what I eat.

This is journey to fuel and use my body and mind to its fullest potential.

Anyone want to join me, I would love the company!

Ponichiwa
Herd Member
Posts: 466
Joined: Mon Oct 12, 2015 2:27 pm

Re: December to Remember

Postby Ponichiwa » Tue Dec 01, 2015 3:50 pm

After a sad struggle with my formerly loose pants, I'm most definitely in. The holidays are never an easy time to start (or maintain) a diet but if I don't get started now I'll find more excuses in 2016.

Starting today, I will:
- Walk or bike at least 30 min per day
- Ride 5x/week when not traveling
- Count calories as if my life depends on it to curb the boredom snacking

I'm starting to realize (slow learner here) that I can't diet, I have to make lifestyle changes. How much does that suck? Lots.

Chancellor
Site Admin
Posts: 805
Joined: Mon Sep 14, 2015 8:26 am

Re: December to Remember

Postby Chancellor » Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:04 pm

Ponichiwa wrote:After a sad struggle with my formerly loose pants, I'm most definitely in. The holidays are never an easy time to start (or maintain) a diet but if I don't get started now I'll find more excuses in 2016.

Starting today, I will:
- Walk or bike at least 30 min per day
- Ride 5x/week when not traveling
- Count calories as if my life depends on it to curb the boredom snacking

I'm starting to realize (slow learner here) that I can't diet, I have to make lifestyle changes. How much does that suck? Lots.


Instead of thinking how much it sucks, try to think of it as being lucky that you CAN make lifestyle changes.

How's that for Pollyanna? I'm trying to do the same thing for myself. I did okay during November with walking on the treadmill and walking outside. I suspect it will be harder this month as it gets darker and colder and I lose motivation!

User avatar
StraightForward
Bringing Life to the DDBB
Posts: 1310
Joined: Mon Oct 12, 2015 3:04 pm

Re: December to Remember

Postby StraightForward » Thu Dec 03, 2015 3:37 pm

I've been slowly relaxing the Whole30-ish diet I started on November 8th. Last week I added back small amounts of cheese and yogurt and 85% dark chocolate. Saturday I get to have wine again (yay!).

But I'm planning to stay away from wheat, other processed stuff, and keep the wine to Friday and Saturday nights through the new year.

Workouts haven't been very regular, so for December, I'd like to start getting out for a run 2x a week and to the gym 2x per week. Also dog walking, in-hand work with my 2 year old and riding as opportunities present. Thankfully the inversion we've been under blew out last night and it will be back into the 40's instead of the icy gray we've had. I've been slow to adapt to the cold this year.
The UDBB member known as AQHA Hunter

demi
Bringing Life to the DDBB
Posts: 1351
Joined: Sun Oct 11, 2015 7:02 pm
Location: Texas

Re: December to Remember

Postby demi » Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:10 am

I failed on the 30 day challenge. I have to look at it that way. It's too easy for me to say I'll just try again. "do or do not. There is no try" :lol:

This time I AM going to log calories. My personal trainer says I just need to add HIIT 3-4 times a week but I am not that motivated. I know myself better than my trainer and I know that I am eating too much. Trainer is a man. A very fit man. He doesn't understand my eating weakness.

I could barely get off my horse today. My quads and gluts were sore from yesterday's workout with the trainer. DH and I go twice a week, usually M and F but this week we did M and W. I add an additional workout or two on my own each week. I balk at the thought of 3-4 extra HIIT days a week. So it boils down to this:

LOG Calories. EVERY day.

I must do.

demi
Bringing Life to the DDBB
Posts: 1351
Joined: Sun Oct 11, 2015 7:02 pm
Location: Texas

Re: December to Remember

Postby demi » Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:12 am

StraightForward wrote:I've been slowly relaxing the Whole30-ish diet I started on November 8th. Last week I added back small amounts of cheese and yogurt and 85% dark chocolate. Saturday I get to have wine again (yay!)....


Enjoy your wine, Straightforward! You are an inspiration!!

Ponichiwa
Herd Member
Posts: 466
Joined: Mon Oct 12, 2015 2:27 pm

Re: December to Remember

Postby Ponichiwa » Mon Dec 07, 2015 4:21 pm

Update: bought a DeskCycle. It arrived yesterday, so today is Day 1.

Verdict: love it. Have already put on 12 miles and it's not even noon yet. I have it on the lowest resistance setting so I don't sweat at work, and it still feels like I'm getting something out of it.

It'll be so much easier to fit in 30+ min of cycling when it's under my desk!

Tuddy
Herd Member
Posts: 499
Joined: Sun Oct 11, 2015 1:19 pm
Location: Zehner, SK Canada

Re: December to Remember

Postby Tuddy » Mon Dec 07, 2015 4:50 pm

Ponichiwa wrote:Update: bought a DeskCycle. It arrived yesterday, so today is Day 1.

Verdict: love it. Have already put on 12 miles and it's not even noon yet. I have it on the lowest resistance setting so I don't sweat at work, and it still feels like I'm getting something out of it.

It'll be so much easier to fit in 30+ min of cycling when it's under my desk!



What is this desk cycle you speak of?!

Ponichiwa
Herd Member
Posts: 466
Joined: Mon Oct 12, 2015 2:27 pm

Re: December to Remember

Postby Ponichiwa » Mon Dec 07, 2015 5:03 pm

Tuddy wrote:
Ponichiwa wrote:Update: bought a DeskCycle. It arrived yesterday, so today is Day 1.

Verdict: love it. Have already put on 12 miles and it's not even noon yet. I have it on the lowest resistance setting so I don't sweat at work, and it still feels like I'm getting something out of it.

It'll be so much easier to fit in 30+ min of cycling when it's under my desk!



What is this desk cycle you speak of?!


What is it? Only the greatest thing that's ever happened to a Monday!

http://www.deskcycle.com/

Note: not a paid promoter. Just loving the feeling that I'm not locked into a sedentary life just because of my job.

demi
Bringing Life to the DDBB
Posts: 1351
Joined: Sun Oct 11, 2015 7:02 pm
Location: Texas

Re: December to Remember

Postby demi » Tue Dec 08, 2015 5:28 pm

Day 5 of tracking my calories and going good. It is a pain that I have to watch my weight since I am so physically active and even do systematic exercise on a very regular basis. It just doesn't seem fair! I guess I should be thankful that I have a good appetite. I should maybe think of my appetite as an unruly horse that needs to learn submission!

Let's all make December a great month for rider health and fitness.

Tuddy
Herd Member
Posts: 499
Joined: Sun Oct 11, 2015 1:19 pm
Location: Zehner, SK Canada

Re: December to Remember

Postby Tuddy » Tue Dec 08, 2015 8:01 pm

Thanks for the link Ponichiwa, I have actually forwarded it to our Health Services department. Maybe work can pay for one or two!

I have been watching what I eat, and feel lighter. Better energy, that is for sure!


Return to “Rider health and fitness”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests